why no lights with high beam/low beam?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

why no lights with high beam/low beam?

I remember busch and muller used to make the big bang with a high and low beam, but why haven't more lights with that feature been made? That is the main feature I would REALLY like.

RAKC
    I just looked that light up, nothing about high and low beam. Just a cut off wide angle or normal lens. Not even mode options. Just on or off.

Lights these days are better in about every way. Multiple modes, easy to change optics to whatever beam pattern you want, etc.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Well, someone needs to make a high beam/low beam light still. Only way now is to have two lights.

RAKC
    That light doesn't do what you think it does. You have to change the lens to change the beam. The exact same thing you have to do with modern lights.

Nothing I've found says that or any other light has 2 seperate bulbs for a high beam and a low beam. Not the way automotive headlights work. Every decent light out there has high beam, medium and low beam, as I output levels. That light you linked only turns on and off. There might be something out there that did or does work the way you think but if the Germans aren't doing then even they see no point in it with the current way lights are done.

But what your asking for based on the light you stated is done in all modern lights, only better.

And you don't need 2 seperate lights. If you want in close you tilt the light on your bars down, if you want it reaching further out you tilt it up and go to a higher mode.

The reason for 2 lights isn't "high and low beam". Bar light is more for in close light coverage for your peripheral vision and the helmet light is so you have a light pointed where you are looking when not going straight. This can also be achieved with something that has 2 or 3, emitters. One optic is a spot for throw, other is a flood to create spill for in close coverage.

Not that your idea is bad, just pointless with what's available.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    No, there is a distinct difference in beam patter between an IQX and a lupine piko. One is a flashlight, the other with a beam pattern like a cat low beam. It would be nice to get both patterns in one light like a car high beam low beam option. If I just point it down it is too bright up close and not bright far away.

RAKC
    Your right ONLY on those 2 lights. You missing the long list of ones that do exactly as I said.

Gloworm, Gemini, Ituo just to name a couple that you can create both in one light by simply changing optics. Lights like Lupine use proprietary single form optics. So your stuck with that. The ones I listed offer several different optics options allowing you to create a mixed beam pattern.

And there are some Chinese lights I've seen use one reflector and one optic to do the same thing.

Like I said what your asking for exists all over the place. Just have to look and read through these threads.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    To add to the adjustable lights tigris mentioned,,, a couple stock lights that are well known for giving the (car type) beam (in a way) you are looking for,,,, is the Fenix BTR 20 which claims a duel distance beam shape. L&M Seca has been doing this for years before others had different optics which were user replaceable.

There are already good lights with cut off beams for road use that have pretty good range so really no need for high/lowbeam there. No need for that either IMO for trail use as if you do approach an oncoming rider you just go to a lower setting.

mtbr member
    The lights I've seen mentioned already have "commuter modes" which is high/low of the same beam pattern just intensity differences. Magicshine makes several "Eagle" models that have either 2 or 4 emitters that have a mixture of spot and elliptical/wide-angle lenses that can be operated separately or together depending on the selected mode. As I understand it the UI is not high/low but 3 modes (elliptical/wide-angle only, spot only, and both together). Not sure but this may be more of what your looking for.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Um, when I say switch, I mean at convenience during a ride, just like with a car. Aint nobody gonna get out their car and change out their bulbs manually every time they wanna low or high beam.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Which post are you responding to lighty? MRMOLE explained a light that does exactly what it is you said you were interested in??? I checked and yes the MS Eagle does have on the fly hi beam/ low beam/ and both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Ah. I was referring to the lens changing statements made above. And I would prefer a quality light like a design shine or gloworm or something.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Spark SDB100 is the only bike light I know of that comes close to a high/low beam setup.

Review: Spark SDB100 Bike Light | BudgetLightForum.com

My older Cygolight (two bulb) had wide and narrow beams (which is really what hi/lo beam is in a car) and you could easily tilt the mount to point it where you wanted it. My newer Cygolight (720) has varying brightness which is less adaptable, but wholly adequate. If you want the old cygolight and don't mind toting the battery (which you'll have to replace) I probably have it in a junk drawer somewhere. For the weight, I'd just buy two of the newer lights (one with a wider beam). Gives you more options and makes sure that you're never one bulb from disaster.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lighty View Post
    Ah. I was referring to the lens changing statements made above. And I would prefer a quality light like a design shine or gloworm or something.
    He wasn't suggesting you change optics on the fly, but by having optic options you can create the hi/low beam pattern you had mentioned. Once you have the beam shape you like then all you have to do is use the different output modes. This website is not responding to my keyboard so cant continue.