Why do you like night riding?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Why do you like night riding?

(First time in this forum, so forgive me if this is a beaten down topic)

I am just curious, why do you like it?

At least in my area there are parks that allow it, some that allow conditional night riding if presented by the local trail group ahead of time, and then some that just flat out ban it at all times.

So, before answering, keep in mind this is assuming the park allows it and you aren't breaking rules to do so.

It never occurred to me until recently to even try it. Thinking about it, kind of freaks me out as if I was playing a first person shooter in the dark with headphones waiting for something to jump out! Haha.

Do you night ride because of your work schedule?
    Do you night ride because you enjoy the thrill of limited vision?
    Do you night ride because there are less people to bother you?
    Do you night ride because its cooler? (temperature-wise)

I am curious.

mtbr member
    It's fun ^^

-------------------------------------
    Opinions are like A-holes... everybody
    has one & they're usually full of...??
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    For me, it's cooler, less people on the trail (and those that are on the trail are visible way off because they have lights too). Another big benefit, with the limited vision, my mind doesn't get bogged down by the trail's obstacles as much. I'm much more likely to just ride the rocks and roots with the knowledge my bike can handle it, than I am in the daytime when my brain starts to overthink stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Old, familiar routes become very new again. I also live in a high northern latitude and if I didn't ride with lights, that would cut out 2 months of riding per year.

J.

mtbr member
    Temps, Schedule, Solitude...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSpice View Post
    (First time in this forum, so forgive me if this is a beaten down topic)

I am just curious, why do you like it?

At least in my area there are parks that allow it, some that allow conditional night riding if presented by the local trail group ahead of time, and then some that just flat out ban it at all times.

So, before answering, keep in mind this is assuming the park allows it and you aren't breaking rules to do so.

It never occurred to me until recently to even try it. Thinking about it, kind of freaks me out as if I was playing a first person shooter in the dark with headphones waiting for something to jump out! Haha.

Do you night ride because of your work schedule?
    Do you night ride because you enjoy the thrill of limited vision?
    Do you night ride because there are less people to bother you?
    Do you night ride because its cooler? (temperature-wise)

I am curious.
    All of the above
    Plus Its an adrenaline high you cant get riding during the Day

Why do you like night riding?-11666066_10153487688437174_2772855439132163525_n.jpgWhy do you like night riding?-1922503_10152268037352174_522085_n.jpgWhy do you like night riding?-11666174_10153464934542174_7340987438859689941_n.jpg
    Last edited by Rakuman; 08-18-2015 at 07:25 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

RAKC
    First one yes

Second one to me its actually easier to focus on the trails (here its narrow wooded single track) as can only see in front of you. Lights I use my site isn't "limited" in front, just peripheral vision is narrowed.

It is a new kind of rush, like riding new trails.

Third one not really, I enjoy riding with others.

Last one depends on the night, temps are always cooler but humidity is more often in the 90% range once it gets dark. Good sweat fest lol.

I like turtles
    I have been night riding for 20 years. I like it because of the thrill (seems like you are going faster), the fact that it opens up more time in the shorter-day months to ride, and....well...your list pretty much sums it up. Plenty of legal places to do it where I live.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Night riding is such a blast. Every trail seems new and exciting, adding another wrinkle of challenge. Absolutely great way to get through the dark months with sanity and fitness intact. I tend to ride with groups at night, so I don't have to dial it back so much for safety.... I do crash more at night (slippery roots and depth perception). Solo night riding is pretty spooky, ain't gonna lie, but you get used to it, sort of.... until you see all the glowing eyes out in the darkness...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    ......I do crash more at night (slippery roots and depth perception).
    I don't crash more, but had one that was pretty stupid. I was riding a trail for the first time. Slight downhill on a left sloping sidehill trail and I spot a little jump formed by a protruding tree root on the left. I says to myself "that'll be fun" and hit it. Little did I realize that the trail made a little jog to the right just at the jump. You all can figure out how that ended.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Started night riding six years ago after a buddy took me out. Never even crossed my mind to go mountain biking in the dark. What a rush!! Here where I live from October till the end of February it's pretty much dark by 4;30/5:00, so if you want to ride at all during the work week you have to night ride.

As posts above have mentioned yes the trails seem new and different, you feel like you are going faster, it just gives you a different perspective on biking. I also found back then when I was not as skilled techy wise I could ride some techy sections better that in the day as I would just deal with the trail as it was getting lit up, where in the day I found myself at times freaking out minutes before hitting a scary section of trail.

It really is to me a totally different feeling of riding one that I love to do. Lots of scary solo night rides as well contributing to the adrenalin because of all the wildlife.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Our cycling club's weekly ride starts at 8 PM: except for summer period, it means that it's mostly conducted in the darkness.

For me, night riding is quite attractive because of different perception of familiar tracks. Also, automotive traffic is significantly reduced if compared to the daytime - important thing for the road-oriented activities. Night forest is also very interesting...

mtbr member
    For me the draw of riding my bike at night began was I was a kid. I use to have to ride my bike home from the cousin's house in the dark. I remember how spooking is was ( no street lighting back then ) riding in darkness and hearing the whip-poor-wills calling in the distance. I still remember how eerie and spooking it used to seem. Eventually I got my first ( teardrop shaped ) bike light and that helped me see the potholes in the road that were many back then.

For me the love of night riding was just a revival of an old familiar past time so it that sense for me it has a very strong nostalgic value.
    When the first higher powered halogen lamps were first introduced I quickly added night riding to my love of adult cycling. Over the years my work schedule changed a lot and more and more rides either finished or started in darkness. For me there is no more "spook factor" unless I'm riding somewhere I've never rode before. I guess I could say that I'm very comfortable riding at night...most of the time.

There are many things ( already mentioned by others ) that make mountain biking at night fun. In my opinion once you get over the "spook factor" and learn to ride using just the lamps you bring you quickly learn that it isn't much different than riding in the day.

I should mention here that there is a popular misconception that riding at night is dangerous. While many forms of mountain biking can be dangerous riding a mountain bike on typical trails at night is no more dangerous than riding them in the day. As long as you have proper lighting and know the limitations of that lighting ( this is a learned skill ) you are in no more danger than you would normally be than at any other time of the day.

Like I've said before, there are many dangers to the sport of mountain biking ( in general ). That said these dangers don't change with the position of the sun. The rider who is skilled at his sport knows how to judge the conditions of the trail, the weather and knows his own physical limitations and skill level. You won't find me hucking my bike off steep cliffs or riding extreme trails high in the mountains during the day ( or night ) because I know I would kill myself doing that but you will see me mountain biking on more moderate trails that I know by heart on my local neighborhood trails.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I should mention here that there is a popular misconception that riding at night is dangerous...
    I originally thought it would be drastically more dangerous, until I really thought about it. My area is very narrow singletrack, and with the vegetation being in full power right now, the average site line is only about 10-15ft with a worse case around 5-8ft. That is in broad daylight. Since most lights are powerful enough these days to easily illuminate 20+ft when its pitch black out?

As some have mentioned, I wonder if it would almost be easier at night due to removing your ability to try and look too far ahead. As mentioned with our thick vegetation, you cannot do a quick glance of what is coming. You almost have to look away and focus your eyesight which is dangerous as you are now looking away from what you are doing.

Depth perception and shadows I can see could prove tricky though. What you thought was a 1ft drop is actually a 2-3ft drop because you are dropping into a shadow! Haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Like it or like it. Where I live it is dark in the winter. If I want to bike I need my lights.

mtbr member
    I don't think I'd blindly night ride on a trail I don't know, or at least have ridden on at some point. My favorite night riding trail is the same trail I normally ride because I can barrel down it during the day and I know where the tricky parts are. Going down it fast at night actually makes me faster during the day because the lines I choose at night are sometimes different than during the day. With every new line, it builds confidence.

mtbr member
    Our group rides are at night through winter - there are more low speed stacks and running off the trails at night, though not bad crashes because the speeds are generally slower - I can't remember the last stack I had at night though.

In a group ride, usually the guy at the front knows the trails well and those following are taking a leap of faith and just following the line and hoping the trail is there! . - this is in thick vegetation and sometimes you can't see where the trail goes inside of your speed control - that's where the ad renal one comes in.

When by myself, most night riding is after starting the ride in daylight, but finish the last 1/2 hour at night

mtbr member
    Last year was the first time I did any night riding. After the time change night riding is the only way I can ride during the week. It sure seems to help sharpen my skills and teach me to look further ahead.
    Night riding with a group is lots of fun! It's fun to be in the back of the group and see all of the lights bobbing down the trail.
    Sometimes even in summer months night rides are a great way to beat the heat!
    2018 Santa Cruz Blur
    2015 Santa Cruz Highball
    2016 Jake The Snake

Broken Hipster
    I've got 600 miles on my same old trails this season.
    Riding at night they feel brand new.

mtbr member
    I'm just starting out with night riding (and so far it's been very infrequent due to young kids). I'm enjoying it for the "rush" others have mentioned but also because I started into the hobby of high-powered LED flashlight modding and found that bike lights had more practical usage and were a way to combine hobbies. Heck, I've also just started mountain biking in the past year too!

-Garry

EAT MORE GRIME
    I like it because weekend warriors and helicopter babies are not on the trails
    so I can hammer in peace far more often and no one is clogging the trails
    taking a break after every mile

mtbr member
    On a similar note, riding a trail last weekend, a younger mom and dad stopped in the middle of the trail, jogging stroller left in the middle, and they were changing a diaper right there, middle of the single track, on a rock. Middle of a technical rock garden halfway up a hill, blind corners on both sides. WTF

mtbr member
    On the last two posts I can relate; less people = more solitude = less unexpected human or human pet obstacles. Not that those are big issues with me but I understand.

On the down side, more encounters of the Arachnid type and the possible encounter with Pepe lepew but Pepe is usually fine unless you happen to sneak up on him unexpectedly.

@watts888 > If you didn't have to change the diaper I wouldn't complain. Keep in mind it works the other way round as well....biker in the trail...bike upside down....changing flat tire...etc, etc.

mtbr member
    tubeless.

And I'll happy stop and talk to a bike rider having problems with their bike. I'm not helping change any more diapers though. Did it already, I'm good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ... encounters of the Arachnid type
    Here in Nor Cal, we have these burrowing spiders who sit in the trail waiting for prey. Their eyes twinkle like little road reflectors when my lights hit their retinas, way cool.

mtbr member
    I don't do very technical riding at night. Most of my night riding is on trails that I normally don't find too much fun in the day time. At night they are completely different, it's like a whole new trail.

I like the wildlife that you see at night. During the day not much comes out in the desert. But at night we see snakes, spiders, owls, etc. A few weeks ago on the night ride we saw an owl, my friend got a picture of it in the tree and the ranger said it was a screech owl. She had never seen a screech owl in the park but heard them before. Was fun to see something like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yep, wildlife is a big part of it: owls, bats, raccoons, etc... Lots of stuff I don't see during the day. I love the "tunnel" aspect of it too. It makes everything seem a little faster and more exciting. Hate the spiders though. They spin webs across the trails during the day too, but I can't see them until I hit them. At night they're lit right up and it turns out they're a lot bigger than I thought they were.

Just Ride !
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVV View Post
    Yep, wildlife is a big part of it: owls, bats, raccoons, etc... Lots of stuff I don't seenay. I love the "tunnel" aspect of it too. It makes everything seem a little faster and more exciting. Hate the spiders though. They spin webs across the trails during the day too, but I can't see them until I hit them. At night they're lit right up and it turns out they're a lot bigger than I thought they were.
    Spiders and there webs sucks to run into , but other than that night riding is a blast , pretty much have the trail to myself and complete solitude.

RAKC
    Someone had to mention the damn spiders,lol. The ONLY thing I dont like with night riding in wooded terrain, face fulls of spider webs. Onyl because you have to wipe them away and they get everywhere, so they sit there moving in the wind itching your ear or right under you eye. ANd unless its a moist night and their actually decent sized webs, you dont see them in time to look down and let your helmet clear them.

mtbr member
    Definitely sharpens your reaction time ^^

mtbr member
    I started in 1990. I was stationed in North Carolina, was riding to the beach on the weekends to surf and would do a few rides with the local club during the week. I was assigned 30 days chow duty six weeks before a triathalon, and due to the schedule and base rules, the only time I could ride was 2-6am.

The peace and quiet is still intoxicating. Started with 3V cat-eye, gutted a second one to hold batteries to provide 6V to a single bulb in the first, then started buying higher wattage 6V bulbs. With a switch in each lamp, I was able to wire it to provide either 4S or 2P2S for 3V or 6V to the bulb, as cars were flashing me when running full power.

Started using the 3V setting to save power, and eventually found I could ride with no light on clear nights down the long, straight roads that cut through the coastal farmlands. Back then, you rarely came across a car at 2-5am.

Miles and miles of sodium vapor lamps separated by long stretches of darkness, nothing but the stars and moon. Even without the moon, could still make out the road markings. Crops were a dark shadow with farmhouse and barn lights floating above them, set back hundreds of feet from the road. Solitude. Silence. The hum of high pressure tires against the road. My breathing and the fluttering sounds of my clothing against the wind. The rare click and clunk as I change cogs. A dog in the distance chasing down a night raider. A startled bird calling out.

The dark world is not known by most, and I like it that way. It's a special secret. I won't give you an invitation unless I know you have earned it.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1 View Post
    I don't do very technical riding at night. Most of my night riding is on trails that I normally don't find too much fun in the day time. At night they are completely different, it's like a whole new trail.

I like the wildlife that you see at night. During the day not much comes out in the desert. But at night we see snakes, spiders, owls, etc. A few weeks ago on the night ride we saw an owl, my friend got a picture of it in the tree and the ranger said it was a screech owl. She had never seen a screech owl in the park but heard them before. Was fun to see something like that.
    Owls are quite common place where I live. Oddly I noticed this year that I haven't heard any in my neighborhood. I miss their "hooting calls".

A couple weeks ago I ran into an Owl while making my way back to my car. The Owl was sitting on a rather low branch and when I went riding by the owl did a "fly by" flying about 10 ft. over my head and then swooping down to just about 5ft over the trail before taking off for higher ground. That was pretty cool.

Now if you ever get a barn owl or Screech Owl to screech at you it will amaze you at how loud they are. I've only had this happen once but I thought I was gonna *h** my pants it scared me so much.

I find it interesting that you had a conversation with a ranger about riding at night. I guess they allow that where you live. What park was this and what state is it in?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I couldn't have said it better, Cat!

There have been many sightings of a good sized mountain lion around my riding territory this summer. That is some wildlife I don't really want to see.

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    I couldn't have said it better, Cat!

There have been many sightings of a good sized mountain lion around my riding territory this summer. That is some wildlife I don't really want to see.

J.
    You actually wanna see that one ^^

If you don't, you just might... get... got! o_0

mtbr member

I love night riding ! I miss it because since I came to the USA one year ago I have not done it. Why? Because I do not have a gang here, it is forbidden, we have some mountain lions and I do not know if ticks sleep at night....

Back in my country I did it all the time, solo and with people. With lights but also it is cool to do it under the moonlight !

I like rocks, so I started doing the easiest gnarly route in my backyard but after some time I was doing the hardest trails without problems.

After some more time I added some night adventures in the summer.

Spiders, owls, foxes, wild pigs, birds with red eyes,...also when you start very early in the morning is the same kind of feeling and you see lots of deers (in my country you do not see them that often)..

You learn to adapt speed, vision, gear, get used to the noises....but when you are set is so awesome.

I once did a night adventure which included two long HAB sections. When I got to the castle at top there were some hikers, that could not believe what they saw. It was almost midnight, watching the stars and the sea. I will never forget those minutes. The downhill was pretty technical and, apart from some sections where you had to use hands to go down and then grab the bike, it was amazing to roll it all.

Another time my tubeless wheel decided to stop being tubeless, I couldn't fix it, so I had to walk the rocky trail for 4 miles (8 miles until I got home). I ended walking in the dark without batteries even in the phone. When I got out of the rocky section and was on a flat fire road, all of a sudden I woke up a family of wild pigs !!

On another night ride I was adjusting the derailleur and saw a small fox. He was not scared, i finished adjusting the derailleur and it was still there calm, so I started walking with the bike and we walked by my side for some 300 feet until I got close to the group. Wow !

Recently I had a problem with the battery and did a hard trail, guided by the glow of the granite. But when the granite was replaced by forest dirt I had to walk. Once at thw bottom out of the forest, i could enjoy the best starred sky I have ever seen.

I miss it a lot ! Everything is so intense while riding at night !!!!!

Amazing things happen every now and then, comoletely different that in day light rides. if you have never done it, call your friends and try it !!!!!!!!

Regarding the shadows, IMO riding at night is even easier. If course you go slower but the darkness removes a lot of visual information, references, that in daylight makes the trail look more difficult than it really is. Also with the lights available nowadays you have a long range and everything is either bright or dark and you see lines that in daylight seemed to tough to try. Also water consumption is much lower, at least for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    my trail is a cardio thing..not technical, but it's close to home so i can ride out from my garage.

i want to try night riding..this was a good thread. it's hot now..and soon to be dark early. i want to keep at it.

my trail system is shut down at sunset..so i need to find a better place. NorCal.

sucks that most of my riding will be solo.

RAKC
    Hey riding solo isnt all bad, I do enjoy it when im not out to get my a** kicked. IM a big guy, my riding buddies are all half my size. So the climbs they kill me as I push to try and not fall too far back. Only to be having to take time to catch my breath at the top while they barely break a sweat. Solo I can cruise and take it easy on the climbs save my energy to blast the rest.

Oh and an UPDATE from me about my joys of night riding. OMG confidence booster!!! At night I tend to ride slower still as the feeling of not seeing as much (though for me I see the same with my lights, only see so far in the woods lol) but also know I need to keep my speed up as best i can. Big guy on a 29er, momentum everything. And going up I loose it faster too (damn gravity). So now during the day when I used to cover my brakes or use them a little I dont anymore. Where I used to scrub speed due to a corner being a bit tight, off camber, whatever, I maybe tap the brakes if I touch them at all. Night Riding makes me trust myself and my bike more, making riding any time of day now way more fun, just cause Im starting to realize I can go hellvalot faster than I was.

And after my last couple rides on video (which to many im still not going that fast) my wife said shes not watching them anymore, she worries enough without knowing exactly how fast Im bombing through the woods now lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    ..Hey riding solo isn't all bad, I do enjoy it when I'm not out to get my a** kicked. I'm a big guy, my riding buddies are all half my size. So the climbs they kill me as I push to try and not fall too far back. Only to be having to take time to catch my breath at the top while they barely break a sweat. Solo I can cruise and take it easy on the climbs save my energy to blast the rest.....
    Made me smile ear to ear as I certainly can relate. I took the sport up in my early 40's ( about 18 yrs. ago ) Back then I was in pretty good shape ( or so I thought ). Still there were times when I knew I was either too heavy ( or too old ) to keep up with the fly-weight youngsters.

The times, they have-a changed. ... I suffer greatly from Cheeseburger-Cheeseburger-itis. I could really stand to lose a pound or 30. ( *sigh*)... I guess it's time to go on a medically supervised diet...something I've been avoiding like the plague. Life without chocolate, burgers or Pizza is not something I like to contemplate. Then again I don't like the idea of having a stroke either.

Yep, me and the Doc are going to have "The big Discussion" when I get my physical next month. I just hope he has something that works better than what I typically do.

RAKC
    Cat, im only 34

But the pizza, burger, BBQ are killer. When I got back I to riding it was because my oldest (now 9) was riding his little bike at a pace I couldn't walk with anymore. Whole long story, but basically this is the end of season 4 for me back in the sport. Lost 95lbd (started at around 360) and kept it off till my elbow issues, back up to 290lbs again at last check. But getting back into routine of eating better (only have a cheat meal now and again) and slowly starting to ride more and more. Freaking overtime at work is killing me with that though lol. So its slow progress, want to loose 40-50 more. It ain't easy, but night riding is sure opening up more available hours to ride

mtbr member
    I started riding at night because after having kids (twins) I just didn't have time for anything else. Free time doesn't happen until after the kids are in bed. I never considered that night riding was a legitimate option until parenthood. I had seen crazy expensive lights and figured that this was a unique tool for serious 24-hour racers but otherwise a useless gadget for something no one really does by choice anyway. Well once that was the only time available to me I changed my tune. Then I discovered how well a cheap LED light can perform and suddenly darkness wasn't an obstacle. Then I discovered studded bike tires and winter was no longer an off season!

To be honest I'm burned out on night riding though. It is still my only usual choice, so I still do it because not riding at all isn't an option. Sorry to those that seek out the night to avoid dogs, but I seek out the night to get my dogs out on the trail! One of mine has some bad manners so I find that the best time to have the trails to ourselves is after dark. But with my limited time to bike, it seems like every ride is a night ride with the dogs on the same old trail. On the rare occasion where the dogs are already adequately exercised I jump at the chance to have a truly me-time ride without having to plan the route around the dogs. But riding completely alone is a little creepy so even those rides aren't always totally enjoyable.

I often ride with a bluetooth speaker blasting out heavy metal and hip hop. This is my bear/mountain lion bell, they are common around here. Riding at night is creepy enough, I don't want to encounter any dangerous wildlife. Unfortunately I've come across skunks a few times. So FYI, the way to clean a dog that has been skunked is with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dish soap. Lather up, rinse, and repeat as necessary. Forget tomato juice, that's urban legend.

RAKC
    Good info on skunks, alot around here too, luckily no encounters yet but that not an if, its a when its gonna happen.

mtbr member
    Just did my first night ride this evening on a easy little trail near my house. I learned I want a light on my helmet, not just my handle bars, the easy little trail is spooky as can be at night, and it was FUN! I can see I'll be ordering another light shortly and riding more at night out there.
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

mtbr member
    With a good light in the helmet you will soon be lazy about the one in the handlebar.

Still, make sure you bring always a spare light and battery in the backpack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    With a good light in the helmet you will soon be lazy about the one in the handlebar.

Still, make sure you bring always a spare light and battery in the backpack.
    Not for me! Made me want to upgrade the bar light. Then the helmet light. Then the bar light again. And again the helmet light. At nearly double the output of my car, I've finally found a balance between 'got some damn decent light' and 'I can't afford anything better'.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

mtbr member

Hahaha

I buy chinese cheap lights so no idea of the real lumens, something between 500 and 2000 probably

mtbr member
    I normally run the low setting on my helmet light and medium setting on my bar light. If I'm going really fast, both lights go up a notch. I usually find the mid beam light with a light diffuser pointed forward instead of at the ground to be enough once my eyes adjust. Really, the only reason I have a helmet light is for a backup light if my main light decents to turn off and to look around the corners. Normally, my diffuser is so wide that I can see around corners fine though.

I ride a lot of gravel. Darkness actually afford more visibility as my blinkers are visible for miles in the dark. During daylight, I'm lucky if someone notices me more than 200' away.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyguy1001 View Post
    Just did my first night ride this evening on a easy little trail near my house. I learned I want a light on my helmet, not just my handle bars, the easy little trail is spooky as can be at night, and it was FUN! I can see I'll be ordering another light shortly and riding more at night out there.
    I agree, you need both. It's good to be able to look into corners etc... and it's important for redundancy. Just wait until you have a light crap out when you it's pitch black and you're way into a trail somewhere - gets serious fast.

Generally, I prefer to have the helmet light be at least half the lumens of the bar light.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I have not done any night riding yet but I did order my first light which should arrive in 5 days. Its not so much the night riding that attracts me but as the sun sets- its some of the most awesome views you can imagine. I will be riding at dusk mostly on rail trails (paved). I am looking forward to this new endevour.

I will be riding at night mainly for

1. The picturesque sunsets
    2. Cooler weather
    3. Solitude
    4. Seems like It can be a bit of a rush (never know what lurks around the corner).

PS: here is the youtube video that inspired me to get into night riding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqkhJytslh4

It s the sunset that really gets to me. This video was taken at a railtrail in Bay City MI about 15 miles from me
    Last edited by paulmich; 09-17-2015 at 11:13 PM.