why?- Mtbr.com

Thread: why?

Emma
    Apr 2010

why?

If you are riding off road at night, awayfrom street lights, why can't you let yourself see by light of the moon / stars? A lot of the time you don't need blinding lights - you just need to get used to it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    That would have to be some strong moonlight

mtbr member
    Why do you come here with one post and start with a question like that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have a riding friend that hates using lights. We ride pretty often when the moon is full without lights. It just takes some time for your eyes to fully adjust. If you haven't tried it you should give it a go. It works a lot better than you may think and it's definitely a different experience.

mtbr member
    That's fine if you are out in the open on a clear night but you won't go far before hitting a tree in the woods on a cloudy night. I've switched the light off before on road in some open fields that the bike path when through and could see just fine, but that doesn't happen too often around here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback_X6
    That's fine if you are out in the open on a clear night but you won't go far before hitting a tree in the woods on a cloudy night. I've switched the light off before on road in some open fields that the bike path when through and could see just fine, but that doesn't happen too often around here.
    I'm not talking about the open, The trails we ride are all 100% wooded. There is enough light when the moon is full and your eyes have fully adjusted. You do have to pick a trail where you're not going to run across any artificial lights. That totally wrecks your night vision and it takes almost 30 minutes for your eyes to fully adjust. If you haven't tried it, it's worth doing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    so around here i would get to ride once a month (by the full moon) if the weather was clear enough for the full moon to shine through. I have tried it once or twice and its cool, but not cool enough to try for more than a few feet. too many scary creatures on the trail for me.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Coming down a 7% grade of a rough mountain trail without lights. Sure go for it.

There isn't enough moon light to interest me in that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback_X6
    Why do you come here with one post and start with a question like that?
    Just google the handle and you will see that same handle registered on a bunch of sites recently. Already been banned on pcworld.nz.

Could be troll or bot. Either way probably best to ignore.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Don't respond. This is a troll. 1 post and a silly question.

J.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Silly troll....anyway, for those of you who can, try it when there is snow on the ground. Full moon + snow + clear skies + no headlight = awesome trail riding. It also gives it a twilight zone feeling because it's so different.

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    A snow ride with a full moon should be experienced by everyone. As for rides with barren ground, I wouldn't ride anything more than the MUP.
    "I'm a raging workaholic; I'm a working rageaholic"
    -George Carlin

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yes with snow and lots of moonlight then can do some rides sometimes

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    LOL...I could ride w/o lights...4mph...full pads...full suspension.

But...I ride an AM Hardtail and don't use pads...just a helmet. I like to ride as fast at night as I do in the daylight...therefore I need artificial daylight.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    totally do able. Ive done it. Its not the same. If you like it slow and carefull it'll be fine. Please dont tell me your going to see everything rut or hole with your eyes.
    For any kind of hard riding you need a light.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efovargue
    If you are riding off road at night, awayfrom street lights, why can't you let yourself see by light of the moon / stars? A lot of the time you don't need blinding lights - you just need to get used to it!
    Riding by the light of the moon is a fun thing to do on occasion. Doing this safely though depends on the trail you are riding and what technical features are present. Yes, you can see quite well once your eyes are adjusted to the ambient light but if the trail has lots of rocks, ruts, thick foliage and over hanging branches you are probably safer at least using a small light.

There is something almost romantic about riding in only moon light. I used to do this all the time ( when trail features permitted ). I also like practicing using only minimal light. There is something about doing this that gives one a greater appreciation for the night. It is very hard to put the feeling into words because it is something almost primal. The human eye is a wonderful thing. Sit in complete darkness for about 10 minutes and then turn your bar lamp on in it's lowest mode and you will see what I mean. Your low mode will seem like a seach beacon.

Just remember there is a down side to doing this. Even in moon light there are shadows. You can very easily hit something. Of course the worse thing that can happen is that you stumble upon one of the most active nocturnal creatures, the skunk. Last year this almost happened to me. While I rest I usually turn my lights off. If it's a moonlit night sometimes I will ride a short distance before turning my lights on. Glad I didn't do that on that fateful night because if I had I'd of had some stink to deal with. When I turned my lights back on there was a skunk milling around just off the trail no more than 20 ft. ahead of me. I'm just glad I don't live in snake country.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    a year ago i also had light on low cause there was a full moon - when out of nowhere a big fat hairy raccoon came out of the side and i ran over it, flipped and lost lots of skin on my elbow and knee on that - the coon just took off.

I i had used full light power or maybe even had that new MS1400 with more flood i probably would have see it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I ride with my light on, but I close my eyes.

trail gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do
    Of course the worse thing that can happen is that you stumble upon one of the most active nocturnal creatures, the skunk....
    How about porcupines? The trails I ride are littered with them. And they don't move out of the way for anyone. I think I'll keep riding with a light, thank-you!

Also, did I mention the deer and occasional black bear? Good times.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette
    ...Also, did I mention the deer and occasional black bear? Good times.
    On one of my moonlit rides I remember "Something big" that moved across the trail right in front of me.( less than 10ft ahead ) I didn't know at the time what it was, only that it was big and took into the woods up a very steep hill. Common sense tells me it was a deer but at the time all I could think of was "Bigfoot".

I've never encountered a black bear at night...hopefully I never will. I did almost step on a snake once at night but it was only a small water snake. At the time I was crossing a stream and was using my helmet lamp. I stepped on a log and out it jumped. Gave me the willies.

Last but not least, I came very close to running over a beaver once. Once again I was riding in moon light near water. I turned my light on and saw the beaver just about 15 ft. ahead of me. I have no idea what would of happened if I would of hit it but I don't like the idea that "just maybe" the beaver might had tried to defend itself. With those sharp teeth I bet they could take a good chunk out of your flesh if they wanted to.

Members who have read this thread: 0