where do you like your batteries?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

where do you like your batteries?

A few of you may remember me. Its been a while.
    we are getting closer to entering the mountain bike/downhill lighting market.
    everything is in place for three styles of lights. The issue has come up about battery storage on the bike.Since our lights are very powerful the batteries are probably on the large side of what you are used to. 350Gr and about 5"x1.5"x.75'
    where do you prefer your batteries when using a bike mounted light?
    It would seam a seat post style bag might be good for some , but downhillers would not use it? Highly varying frame geometry in the neck area make that a tough area to design a bag for. Any Ideas??
    Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The stem. They are so light and small you don't notice them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    At 5 inches long, I would say the only real places would be top tube and seat tube for the batteries. With my personal rig that I night ride on (Blur LTC) I can not use the underside of the top tube or the seat tube due to size constraints and thus the best place is on the top of the top tube near the seat tube.

My downhill bike (V10) does not have a very good place at all to mount the battery, the main option would probably to mount it to the front side of the seatpost.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the opinions. the placement of the batteries has become an issue I didn't originally think would be such a problem.

TurnURComputerOff&GoRide
    Most MTBers put batteries under the stem, but at 5 inches that's not going to be a go.

On my lights I use under the Stem - had an off on my road bike doing that though - had the larger Dinotte battery on the stem, turned a corner, the tighter brake cable lengths meant the battery under the cable when turning yanked my brake on for me and off I went.

On my roadie I use one of those triathlon feed bag things that goes at the front and the battery goes in there. This also means no messing with the GPS on my stem when putting the battery on.

Off topic - but I had another major off with my Dinotte 800L on the roadbike when it fell off the handlebar mount and lodged inbetween the fork and wheel bringing me to an instant stop. Smashed my fork (and my rib).

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Modified a old water bottle and slide the battery down in that and carry in the cage. Works great, most night rides are under 2 hours, no water needed.

Members who have read this thread: 0