Where to buy UltraFire 501b without 30-day delivery?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Cubist

Where to buy UltraFire 501b without 30-day delivery?

Hi All---I want to buy a couple UltraFire 501b's (and batteries and a charger)...but I'm finding it tough to find somewhere to order online where the products WON'T be shipped via "a very slow boat from China." (Seriously---Amazon said 30-day delivery...WTF!? Manafont simply didn't say...which made me suspicious.)

Any recommendations? Someplace to buy the UltraFire 501b that will get it to me inside 1 week? (Guaranteed?)

Thanks,
    Scott
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ordered a 501b last week from Amazon and got it in 2 days via Prime. It was from this seller:

Amazon.com At a Glance: intsun E Supermarket

FWIW - I didn't like the 501b nearly as much as the 502b I'd bought earlier. It's plenty bright, but it 'cycles' through the modes when you switch it on and off - ex- turn it on - it's low, turn it off, turn it back on - it's medium, etc.

Trail Cubist
    One other thing I'm wondering is...why does it seem that the really good (bright!) LED torches are only available online? These things seem VERY popular---not just among cyclists, but contractors, firearms enthusiasts, etc...so I would think I ought to be able to wander down to the local Dick's Sporting Goods and pick up an UltraFire 501b or similar light...but the only thing that ever seems available in the retail places I go are far weaker torches.
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've noticed that too. And if someone does have the better torch, it's pricy.

By the way, I have 2 501's. The first one, about a year old just quit working. Couldn't get it working again. Ordered a new U2 501b. Not working correctly out of the box. It won't stay on the high setting even w/ a fully charged battery.

Finally fooled around w/ the old 501 and got it working.

Just an FYI but for 12 bucks, they're cheap.

MB

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    501b's are just the outter case your realise they come with all kinds of different emmitors but the switch is generally okay.

501's have a lighter head unit so much better for head torch useage,

mtbr member
    Yes, you do have to fiddle with them sometimes that is why they are not for everybody. Luckily most of the issues are quickly resolved if you have some minor DIY tools and skills. SW, that link to the 501B that Tech gave looks good. The drop-in it uses will be questionable, likely a H-L-strobe set-up. With minor tweaks it should work fine. I still recommend you get the drop-in I linked to earlier. Besides, never hurts to have a back-up drop-in.

I still have yet to order me a XM-L U2 drop in. It's getting close to that time of year that I stock up on new torch accessories. To those not in the know; If you plan on stocking up on torch stuff from overseas, this is the time to do it....before the mad rush is on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I believe my first 501b issue was the cap switch. After playing around w/ it for days, I got it to work.

Cat, the U2 501 even on high beam when I can get it to stay on is not quite as bright as the T6. It was disappointing. Probably has some kind of issue or just cheap electronics, driver, etc.

12 bucks tho!!!!!!!!

On the other hand, my buddy bought a 75 dollar American T6 torch. We tested them last Summer and they were the same. I was laughing. Now he's laughing. He thinks I'll be at $75 in torch purchases before his wears out.

MB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mb323323 View Post
    I believe my first 501b issue was the cap switch. After playing around w/ it for days, I got it to work.

Cat, the U2 501 even on high beam when I can get it to stay on is not quite as bright as the T6. It was disappointing. Probably has some kind of issue or just cheap electronics, driver, etc.

12 bucks tho!!!!!!!!......
    Yep, with drop-in's sometimes they will use lower powered drivers. Sometimes the web site will mention it and sometimes they won't . Just one of the F's I don't like about how these things get marketed.

Measure the current output at the cap if you can ( on high ). This will tell you how hard the driver is pushing the emitter. When I measure mine using a Trustfire ( blk/red/fire ) 2400 mAh battery ( Manafont 3-mode T6 ) it measures 1800ma ( or 1.8A ). If I use a Panasonic 3100mAh battery output is around 2.7A....yes, a good quality battery makes a surprising difference.

Quick fixes:
    1) Tail cap; Notice the metal O-ring with two small holes inside the cap. Bend a paper clip so that it fits those holes ( a small pair of pointy grooming scissors will work as well)
    Tighten so that the ring is nice and snug. Please note that these tail cap switches are cheaply made. Sometimes they do go bad...no problem though. Replacement caps available at many places for just a couple bucks. If yours works right now, fine, buy one now just in case. They do wear out if you use them a lot.

2) Clean all threads on a regular basis. You will be surprised how much this helps even when the threads "look like they're clean". I use car wheel cleaner designed for aluminum wheels. Using some Q-tips and the cleaner you will be amazed at the black stuff coming off the threads. You can also use a good size pencil eraser which also does a decent job of removing oxidation. A clean electrical contact is your friend.

Members who have read this thread: 0