What light set for me?- Mtbr.com
    Trail Connoisseur

What light set for me?

Admittedly I'm being lazy. If I sifted through the thousands of threads here I'm sure I could get all my questions answered... eventually. There is so much info here it's hard to narrow it all down. I'm counting on the fact that there are a few gracious souls willing to share their knowledge for my specific goal.

What I'm looking for:
    -3 hours of ride time minimum
    -$500 to $600 budget
    -Ability to tackle extremely difficult terrain at night
    -Open to combo handle bar and helmet setup

Where do I start? Is brighter just better? If I do two lights what type should I use for each? Where do I source this stuff at a good price?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    You have a good budget so I would recommend a proven brand name for a start. Do you ride much in the snow in winter months? If so, I would suggest looking for lights with a warmer tint so as to get lots of output with less reflective glare back at you. This would also benefit rides without snow as well if you have issues with glare at all.

If this is no concern to you pretty much all the other white led lights approx. (6000K) with work just fine. Here's just a few high quality set ups to consider!!

Keep in mind you want a light with more flood on the bars and one with good punch on your lid. Many lights are very bright and will work equally well in both applications.

- Gloworm XS on your bars with the X-2 on your helmet will be sweet.

- Gemini Olympia on the bars/ Duo on the lid also a very strong setup.

- Amoeba,,, from Scar custom built to what you want, Great product as well.

The Gemini and Gloworm products use optic reflectors and wireless remote with different battery options for run time.

Amoeba uses reflectors and what ever leds and bins Scar can get his hands on to give you just what your looking for in beam shape as well as battery options too.

I would not ever run just one light as one could fail in a bad spot putting your safety at risk. I had this happen thankfully I was running two lights. Also two lights will give you better vision in all areas.

Forgot to mention if you can wait a week action-led-lights.com will have the new Gemini Titan 4000lumens for the bars while still using the Duo for your lid. This will give you over 5000 quality lumens below your budget. Plenty of light for difficult terrain as is the others.

RAKC
    Im saying dual light set up.

Titan is going to be insane overkill unless you ride downhill courses at night or similar terrain at those speeds.

Glowworm would be my recommendation. Xs bars and x2 on the helmet, get them with the neutral white option.

Run time is a matter of how much light you need to use and how much weight you want in a battery pack. Unless your one of those people that don't understand to not run their lights at max for the entire ride, they'll be fine. Run low power on the slow climbs, medium on the flats, high when your going to hit heavy tech or high speed descending. If your wanting to run max all the time no matter what, your going to pay for that in large weight increase to have a battery big enough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RIVER29 View Post
    Admittedly I'm being lazy. If I sifted through the thousands of threads here I'm sure I could get all my questions answered... eventually. There is so much info here it's hard to narrow it all down. I'm counting on the fact that there are a few gracious souls willing to share their knowledge for my specific goal.

What I'm looking for:
    -3 hours of ride time minimum
    -$500 to $600 budget
    -Ability to tackle extremely difficult terrain at night
    -Open to combo handle bar and helmet setup

Where do I start? Is brighter just better? If I do two lights what type should I use for each? Where do I source this stuff at a good price?

Thanks in advance!
    Did you make a choice yet? If so please share. If you already posted elsewhere i'll have a better look. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I would do 8-cell Titan with 4-cell DUO. $480 total.

If that is too much weight, then a 6-cell Olympia and 4-cell DUO.

Yeah!
    I've been running the Gloworm XS/X2 combo for a few years and recommend them highly. Great UI, custom setup options, and design. Good transition from spot to spill. Warm LED's available. If you go with just the light heads and provide your own batteries, it's $270 for both.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!