What do you guys think about a GREEN led tail light?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2014

What do you guys think about a GREEN led tail light?

Just reading this article...https://www.noxgear.com/blog/95-visu...uld-know-about

Maybe its better than red if legislations is not an issue?

RAKC
    IMO read is too well known and programmed into brains of drivers on the road to mean stop/caution, green means go and green light means one less thing to pay attention to. Too Dangerous, for being on the roads anyway. Has benefits, but due to way humans are trained from birth is red means to stop/avoid.

I commute by bike when I can (off work atm till elbow heels) and No way I would ever put a green light on my bike and be anywhere near people driving cars.

However mixing the 2 if that article is indeed true, I could see the point for it, but not sure I am comfortable with it. Maybe (yes xmas theme) mixing of the 2, green for getting attention red/yellow to trigger the brain to realize they need to avoid the lights.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Agree with Tigris: red is century-old worldwide standard for rear lights, and attempts to "improve" things by using other colors is not wise idea, to say it politely.

BTW, twice during recent years I myself and my cycling mate have barely avoided collisions with other cyclists at night on the unlit bike path: they installed red flashers on handlebars (pointing forward), answering to our "WTF?!?" question that "this is to improve visibility & increase safety"...

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I get it guys. This is something I didnot think at all. Makes sense and I would agree if I saw a red light, I would automatically assume the rear of a motorised/non motorised vehicule. But the green flashing light, does it really conveys "go"?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainking7 View Post
    But the green flashing light, does it really conveys "go"?
    In my country, yes. Our traffic lights switch steady green to flashing green shortly before changing to the yellow, to inform the drivers they've little time left to pass the crossing. In other words, blinking green light "automatically" causes most people to accelerate...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    That article is marketing spin written by a couple of guys trying to sell high vis vest things that make you look like a dork.

That and the way the text was formatted was a real pain in the **s to read.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I see. Here it is blinking yellow before passing to green So, still more thinking before committing myself.
    Safety has been the NUMBER ONE issue as to why I don't ride at night but with an upcoming fenix bike lamp, a reflective shirt all I need now is a blinking backlight setup (rooting for a cheap AA zoomie with strobe either red or green)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'd stack it with a red light and it will mess with people's minds

Dressing like Santa with that setup could be fun too

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Maybe a red light pointing down on a spinning disco ball under your seat could get more attention. It would be truly visible from all directions

manbeer to enhance the disco ball your going to need polyester and a radio on your shoulder.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That should match nicely with my unicorn helmet

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What's so bad about that? Sounds fun to get pulled over for impersonation of a police officer, emt, and firefighter all from one taillight

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I have one like this which runs on AA cells...Should chk it out again! But I feel its too low of an out put...

RAKC
    Too bad I can't mold plastic, I have a ton of red, blue, and green 3 and 5mm "ultra bright" old school leds I need to find something to do with. From my days of making and selling led kits for RCs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeer View Post
    What's so bad about that? Sounds fun to get pulled over for impersonation of a police officer, emt, and firefighter all from one taillight
    Well the build quality isn't the greatest. One of them I got, soon as the case was closed, lights wouldn't work terribly wonky battery connection. Also think GB might have them at about half the price I so foolishly paid, though they were still cheap enough at KD. Wish there were a way to run them offa 18650's, because they dim pretty quick with the AAAs. Blue is first to go, guess that color emitter demands more juice than the others to remain visible. Otherwise, RGB scheme works pretty well on a bike. Easy for a red blinkie to get lost in the swell of traffic but the multi-color with its gazillion chase patterns immediately ellicits the proverbial WTF?!!! Except around the holidays of course.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Flashing amber lights are pretty eye catching.

I saw a guy once that had multicoloured light strips on his frame, and light in his rims. Freakin tron as hell haha. No way anyone could avoid not seeing him

Sent from my SM-N910P using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    In my country, yes. Our traffic lights switch steady green to flashing green shortly before changing to the yellow, to inform the drivers they've little time left to pass the crossing. In other words, blinking green light "automatically" causes most people to accelerate...
    This is 100% true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainking7 View Post
    Just reading this article...https://www.noxgear.com/blog/95-visu...uld-know-about

Maybe its better than red if legislations is not an issue?
    Unfortunately red is the universal color associated with rear lighting. Second would be yellow. Blue and white might be associated with police but green has no associations pertaining to vehicle use that I am aware of. I do use a couple green leds on my road wheels but only because it looks cool from the side while spinning.