What do you experts think about these ebay lights?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What do you experts think about these ebay lights?

RAKC
    Can do alot better for around the same price. That's a crap knockoff of the solarstorm x3, I made the mistake of trying one, total waste of cash. Check out the threads in this sub. And the batteries that come with then are going to be just as bad

If your wanting to do night riding (vs a 20 minute ride around town) there is a ton of lights that are still budget based that actually work. There are only a few that the batteries aren't total crap though.

http://m.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_180344.html

http://m.gearbest.com/cycling-gear/pp_180805.html

Those are the best kits with battery packs that are actually very good. The second one is available on amazon but costs more.

But if your trying to go as cheap as possible but still be useable (and have actual product support/return policy) use amazon.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that. Yeah, I'm willing to spend a little more, just don't want to spend hundreds for a single light.

RAKC
    Ya that's my thing, can't justify the expense for it.

There are other lights, ones where the light itself is good but battery is garbage so better to buy just the lighthead and get a battery separately. But those mostly have to be bought directly from china.

Yinding comes to top of that list. Gearbest also has the "originals" of light like you linked and other solarstorm lights that are pretty good.

mtbr member
    I have the cree knockoff lights from amazon. Not bad for the price. I'm sure the solar storm and other real bike lights are far better quality, but they cost more. The batteries have worked for me so far, and I was able to use an adapter so I can use remote control car batteries with the lights.

If you just want to give night riding a shot, grab 2 of the cree lights and go to town. If you like it, you're not out much.
    http://smile.amazon.com/Bicycle-Ligh...ree+bike+light

mtbr member
    @ M C Shawn; I'm no expert but here's my opinion; If money is the biggest issue here and you just want something to get you out out night I see no reason not to buy something off of e-bay. The lamps you linked to are the Solarstorm clones and both of those lamps work very well for lighting up the trails. Just don't expect that the included battery will be the advertised "6400mAh". If you're lucky you'll get a battery in the 4000mAh range and it will last a year. On the flip side if you get a bad one it will only be in the 3000mAh range and maybe last a couple months.

I don't know what kind of run time you will be expecting to get when you start riding at night but if you moderate the outputs you should be able to get over two hours with the cheepie Chinese batteries if it's near 4000mAh. Regardless, you will need at least one good reliable battery in the future.

( good affordable source for quality Solarstorm batteries > Hunk Lee, e-bay vendor from China. Custom built packs using the brand name cells of your choice. Search his store and see what he has. He can build using any cells and or connector ( for SS type lamps ). This is just one example.....another, for a little less money.

RAKC
    Cat I bought one of those clones, guess I got spoiled on the good solarstorm x3 from gear best, cause those eBay clones suck badly in comparison to the ones you can get from gearbest.

mtbr member
    I don't mind spending a little more for the BT40 or 21 if the quality and batteries are better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think you would want to start with a proven, tested light and then you can gamble with unknowns? The BT21 is a good place to start to save money, get a good kit and have it be reliable. Second option is the Yinding and your own batteries or as CMD said, quality Hunk Lee packs. You want to focus on riding and not the if the light will work or have you hate night riding because your lights suck.

You also always want a backup of some sorts on the trail any light can break and leave you in the dark. Heading out with an unknown alone isn't the best option.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    I bought a cheap gemini knock off, head only...bought a 4 battery case and use a plethora of quality 18650 batteries I have.
    solved, less than $50