what Deal Extreme flashlight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what Deal Extreme flashlight?

i want to buy a really bright LED light to strap on my helmet for some short night riders. what's the best flashlight to buy from DX (or elsewhere) that:
    1. takes AA or AAA batteries (none of those silly expensive 123s please)
    2. costs $25 or less
    3. has a hole on the back so i can mount it on my helmet like this cheesy, dim light that i have:

or should i buy two small lights that cost around $10-12 each and mount on on each side?

thanks.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 05-26-2009 at 03:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Buying cheap is going to get you cheap results. Sorry but that is just how it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle
    i want to buy a really bright LED light to strap on my helmet for some short night riders. what's the best flashlight to buy from DX (or elsewhere) that:
    1. takes AA or AAA batteries (none of those silly expensive 123s please)
    2. costs $25 or less
    3. has a hole on the back so i can mount it on my helmet like this cheesy, dim light that i have:

or should i buy two small lights that cost around $10-12 each and mount on on each side?

thanks.
    I was about to post some suggestions and then suddenly realized I just couldn't go there.
    Sorry if that sounds a bit elitist but nothing I could ( or would ) recommend would suit your needs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Sku 14909 at a push

Or just bite the bullet and go down the 18650 route. This will give you far better choice with better runtimes and of course much brighter lights. I just recieved sku 22661 and it blows away all of my AA lights and weighs only 20g more.

Cracker
    i got one of these with the rechargable batteries and handlebar mount works great a lot of light for the money
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16241

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15642
    It might get a little steep from here

mtbr member
    don't worry, i expected a little bikesnob elitism from a message board. i am just looking for s simple solution to a simple problem that i can afford on my wages- which is "not a lot of money." (read: nothing.)

sorry, i should have explained why i want to put lights on my setup. i don't need to illuminate a whole forest, i just need to see glass and potholes in the road directly in front of me when commuting on my bike. i suppose most of the lighting discussion on this board is about riding trails in the dark and i should have considered that before posting.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 05-27-2009 at 09:17 AM.

Its got what plants crave
    There are some really bright options in the 30 dollar range these days, but it may be worth considering a rechargeable setup. It will save you money in the long run and give you more options.

mtbr member
    don't worry, i expected a little bikesnob elitism from a message board. i am just looking for s simple solution to a simple problem that i can afford on my wages- which is "not a lot of money." (read: nothing.)

sorry, i should have explained why i want to put lights on my setup. i don't need to illuminate a whole forest, i just need to see glass and potholes in the road directly in front of me when commuting on my bike. i suppose most of the lighting discussion on this board is about riding trails in the dark and i should have considered that before posting.
    You seem to think that using AA's or AAA's are the cheap way to go ( assuming you are talking non-rechargables ). Even if you buy them from Wal-mart or the Dollar store they still will be an on-going expense to be dealt with. In the long run a torch that uses rechargable 18650's would be the way to go. Li-ion rechargables can be recharged hundreds of times and are cheap on the D/X site. Two 18650's are $10 or less and should last years. Compare this to buying 4 rechargable AA's from Bestbuy at about $14. Of course you would need a charger..about $12 on D/X. Since you are commuting it would probably be easier to just use a bar mount. On D/X you should be able to get all this stuff for about $35-$40 total. ( P.S. not too many torches on D/X have the metal loop on back. Some do have a small hole for a lanyard ( loop strap ) but I don't think it is big enough for a metal loop. ) ( another couple bucks also buys you a cheap red-blinkie for the seat post )Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    you're right, cat, i am trying to save money with rechargeables. 123's can be really expensive and i am a hippie who hates throwing things containing nasty chemicals in the trash, so i have been using rechargeables for a long time. i would buy a rechargeable setup with 123's but they would only be useful for one application and i already have AA's and AAA rechargeables coming out of my ears. i have about 16 rechargeable AAs and 6 or 8 rechargeable AAA's. i have been using these for a few years in my camera flashes and they still have a lot of life in them. since i don't shoot photos much anymore, i have all these spare batteries lying around unused.

i want a bright light for commuting at night without buying a crazy bike-specific setup. i could also buy a fancy helmet mount but i have found that the bungee cord method i worked up works just fine. it's just that the flashlight i am using is pretty dim and a powerful but cheap LED would probably work a lot better.

thanks to the non-snobs who showed me enough respect to not assume that i don't know what i am looking for.

i am confused about these 18650 batteries. call me a battery noob, but they look like AA's. what's the difference? are rechargeable 18650's more powerful or more reliable than rechargeable AA's?

mtbr member
    ...i am confused about these 18650 batteries. call me a battery noob, but they look like AA's. what's the difference? are rechargeable 18650's more powerful or more reliable than rechargeable AA's?
    First, rechargable AA Nimh batteries, standard voltage 1.2volts ea....47mm x 13mm, Range in capacity anywhere from 1600 to 2800mah depending on what you buy. The more mah ( milli-amp-hours ) the longer they will run. Typical NiMh batteries have a fairly high rate of self-discharge. This means they lose power even when they are not being used. There are a couple brands of AA's that have a lower self-discharge rate. They are Sanyo Eneloops and I believe Duracell sells a version that works just as well, however they are only 2000mah, still they work well...much better than standard NiMh AA's IMO.

I8650's are Li-ion batteries. Standard voltage is 3.7volts, peak voltage about 4.2volts when fully charged. size is > 65mm x 17mm. By chemistry the Li-ion cells are very low self discharge. All batteries lose capacity after some time and Li-ion's are no different. They should still charge to 80% of original capacity after about three years. Some of the AA NiMh batteries I had lost the ability to hold a charge after just a year.

Some people swear by AA's. They're okay for certain applications I suppose. For torches though I much prefer Li-ions. D/X does sell torches that run off of AA and AAA's. Here is the link if you need it. This page is devoted to AA's I believe..> http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.942

mtbr member
    awesome, that was sooooo helpful, Cat. thanks.

Members who have read this thread: 0