What is the best light for 8 hours tours- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2015

What is the best light for 8 hours tours

Hey there,
    I belong to a group of ultracycling and want to acquire a beam that could stand all night. My initial idea (and the one I like) is that one that could be recharged via USB, but if not, as some would have sufficient autonomy to make sorties overnight. In the Paris Brest Paris she wore one with two batteries but we had to constantly recharge. Now that I am targeted for London Edinburgh London and I'd like to buy one that did not have to worry so much.

Thank you very much to all

RAKC
    Its not so much the light as the battery. Since you are referring to road riding (we here mostly only ride pavement when we have to, mostly dirt for us) its actually simpler. Road riding requires less light. Less light means you can run longer between charges, then a single larger battery pack will take care of the amount of time you need. 8+ hours of ride time isnt difficult as long as you dont feel the need for large amounts of light.

How much your willing to spend also makes a huge difference in options.

So can you tell us what you want for light output and how much your budget is?

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thanks for your quick response.
    The idea is a light that illuminates good lane road where I go and that can last all night. The budget could reach 100 for to go at night, every precaution is little

RAKC
    For your budget thats not going to be easy, budget is rather low.
    The 2 battery pack thing actually works but you cant use cheap batteries. And being what your doing, you need a light that has some quality, not playing the chinese lottery. A budget that low makes it very difficult to get the amount of light you want and the run time.

Ways I can think of:
    1. Raise your budget slightly so you can get a quality light and cells for it. These lights would be "self contained" but have field replaceable 18650 rechargeable cells. First ones that come to mind are Ituo lights. This is because they are USB chargeable via the light, but you can carry extra cells for it that are already fully charged and ready. So one set runs out, stop and change them quickly and away you go. Wiz1 uses 26650 Li-Ion cells. Buy the light and 3 cells, you have 800 lumens for over 8 hrs. You have 3 cells, each can be recharged through the light usb and stored in a case (which you keep in your jersey pocket). So you have 2 spares in your jersey, one in the light, ready to go before the race. If you want more light than that, Ituo wiz20. Uses 18650 cells and youll need 6 cells (4 spares as light uses 2 at a time). It raises your budget slightly more after buying cells. But you can program driver to level you need instead of running at "max" which will give you more run time.

2. Going the chinese route. Get a yinding or bt21, then a ncr18650b 10400mah pack from kaidomain and run at medium level (600 lumens give or take) and that will give you the run time. But delivery time from the date you place your order can be quite long (up to 30 days or more) so you will have to plan ahead.

Thats about the best i can think of within your budget or close to it. If you budget was well higher, it becomes A LOT easier. Its the battery cost that can cause issues. What you want is possible on your budget, but it takes time and research to sort out. Ive given you the 2 ways that are the simplest I can think of for what your looking for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thank you for your response.
    Indeed, the wiz1 Izuo think it perfectly fits my needs and I think with an extra battery may already suffice. Do you know where to buy it somewhere and send them to Spain (Palma de Mallorca).

Again, thank you for all the information and the time taken to

RAKC
    Contact ituo directly, they have an add on the right side of the page here, click that and contact them. They'll be happy to get you set up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thank you for your attention ... of course, glad to find people like you in this world.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    For ultracycling and brevets such as PBP or LEL dynamo really is still the best solution. You don't wan't to be mucking around with batteries and chargers at controls if you can avoid it. Get a B&M Cyo premium light and a shimano 3N80 hub.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Thank you very much, and if you're right, because in the Paris Brest Paris there were many people who had mounted the system of dynamos, but I'm in love with my ZIPP 60 and do not want to change the hub dynamo to put this fault ... mine, because it would be right, but I love my wheels and are.

Thank you for the note

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Now I see that using a dynamo velogical can be highly interesting. I have to weigh the pros and cons.
    Thank you

Action LED Lights
    Gemini has a new 8 cell 10400mAh battery pack that paired with most any 1000 lumen light would easily give you 8 hours.
    Gemini 10400mAh Slimline 8 cell battery pack ? Action-LED-Lights
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

Candlestick Maker
    Nice giant-capacity battery. Unfortunately, the cost ($129) for the battery is more than the OP wants to spend for the whole setup (~$109).

At that budget, I'm thinking along with tigris99's 2nd suggestion...
    baker

RAKC
    We are waiting for samples of 10400mah 6cell packs (Panasonic ncr18650b cells) that will be available for under $50. The 4 cell ledoman tested is good to go, 6800mah pack, Panasonic cells for under $30.

I wish companies like Gemini would go with Panasonic cells. Do more with less, cause their narrow stick packs look really nice. But an extra 100g (and pack price for non-Panasonic cells) being 8 cells is a downer for me.

mtbr member
    How about one of these for $50 plus $20 to ship to Spain Gemini Xera Flashlight ? Action-LED-Lights

It comes with 2 batteries that will give you about 6 hours on the 510 lumen middle setting. Get a third battery for $20 and you'll get the run time you want.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    How about one of these for $50 plus $20 to ship to Spain Gemini Xera Flashlight ? Action-LED-Lights

It comes with 2 batteries that will give you about 6 hours on the 510 lumen middle setting. Get a third battery for $20 and you'll get the run time you want.

Tim
    Since the OP is with a group of seasoned road bikers I'm going to assume that they move at a good pace. This means the OP needs some decent throw and some decent output. Five hundred lumen should be enough but it depends on the optic or reflector used.

I agree the Gemini Xera flashlight looks like a nice option. Certainly can't beat the price but I'm thinking these are older models that are using the Cree XM-L and not the XM-L2 ( don't know about other bins...U2 or 3? ) Not sure mid-mode on the Xera flashlight is going to be 510 lumen. Gemini overrated the output on their previous models. I should also mention that there is a newer ( 2016 ) model of the Gemini Flashlight ( uses XM-L2 U4 emitter ) which should be brighter. 2016 Gemini Lumen ratings are suppose to be better.

While the Gemini flashlights are nice I'm liking the Wiz-1 from ITUO a little better ( **Okay, I'm biased because I'm reviewing one ). Wiz-1 has great throw, something the OP needs if traveling at speed. Not to mention the GoPro mount use by the Wiz-1 is nicer than the Xera mount ( IMO ). The mid mode on the Wiz-1 is at least 500 lumen and should get you that 3 hours (+) at that level using the standard 26650 cells ( maybe even 4 hours as I've not tested it for runtime yet ). With the Wiz-1 you have the choice of using the higher capacity 26650 cells or using standard high capacity 18650 ( using an after market battery adapter ). Not sure why the OP insists on having USB charging but the Wiz-1 has built in USB charger FWIW. Still, you will need more than one USB charger if using more than one cell.

Let's not forget that there are other options for extended riding. While none of these are USB rechargeable or self-contained I like both the Gloworm X2 ( with wired remote ) and the Gemini Duo ( 2016 ) with wireless remote. Both of these lamps share common advantages. Both are programmable and both can be used with duel spot optics for more throw. With two LED's you also have the added advantage of having a wider beam pattern, always a plus.

Add a super capacity Panasonic 4-cell battery ( 6800mAh ) to one of these lamps and you should be able to get 8hrs without problem as long as you program one of the mode settings to around 400-500 lumen and use that mode most of the time. Keep in mind you always have the option to use less light as well. When following behind others you don't need super high outputs. 200-300 should be enough when behind others. Changing modes you never have to move your hands off the bars since both operate with remotes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I agree the Gemini Xera flashlight looks like a nice option. Certainly can't beat the price but I'm thinking these are older models that are using the Cree XM-L and not the XM-L2 ( don't know about other bins...U2 or 3? ) Not sure mid-mode on the Xera flashlight is going to be 510 lumen. Gemini overrated the output on their previous models. I should also mention that there is a newer ( 2016 ) model of the Gemini Flashlight ( uses XM-L2 U4 emitter ) which should be brighter. 2016 Gemini Lumen ratings are suppose to be better.
    I guess it always depends on personal preferences. From the beam shot that Action-LED posted in another thread (2016 Gemini lights? - Page 3- Mtbr.com), the spot beam (blue line) of the 2015 version seems a good fit for the OP's requirements, even with the older emitter, than what you get for 2016. And I think the light is fully programable (at least the earlier versions were).

It also comes with 2 decent 3100 Panasonic batteries.

As you suggest, what the OP needs will also depend on the lights others in his group ride with. What's prefect on a solo ride can be terrible when you're riding the same tracks in a lumen war with friends.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best light for 8 hours tours-xera-comparison.jpg  

RAKC
    If it was me, the 16 has a far better beam pattern, dont want a search light on the road, want coverage so I have better visibility. But that's me. I can stand a tiny little spot for riding unless its in my lid accompanied by a decent spread bar light.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I like a wider beam as well but for road use I don't want to lose too much throw. With a lamp like the Duo it wouldn't be an issue because you have more power on high. Not sure with just the one emitter/optic on the newer *Xera-F. No way to know how much throw you will have at 500 with the new Xera-f unless you own one and can measure out the throw.

The Wiz-1 on the other hand I know can reach 100 ft. on the mid-level ( and I can still see enough close in near the bike without problem ). I agree with Wombat though, the old model of the Xera flashlight "might" be better for faster riders. Otherwise, someone like myself would probably be better served with the newer 2016 version of the *Xera flashlight because usually I favor **wider beam patterns because I don't ride real fast when on the road. ( **as long as the throw is not overly compromised )

Now about programmability of the Xera Flashlights; I see no reference to them being programmable in the ads (?) Did I miss something?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Now about programmability of the Xera Flashlights; I see no reference to them being programmable in the ads (?) Did I miss something?
    I see that in 2012 the torch was programable, and assume it still has this feature: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-778350.html

Tim

Action LED Lights
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    I see that in 2012 the torch was programable, and assume it still has this feature: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-778350.html

Tim
    The 2016 flashlight is not programable. In order to make the light smaller it no longer has a button on the rear. It no longer has a rear cap. The light is turn on and off but tightening down the front cap. You change modes by loosening it enough to briefly break contact and remove the cap to change batteries. They really squeezed this thing down so that it's only 1" longer that the 18650. A couple of other points that may be relevant to some, it only uses unprotected 18650 cells. Protection is built into the light. Also, it has a buck only driver. Once the battery voltage drops below that required for the selected power level for the led, the output starts slowly decreasing. On high I found this to be after 15 minutes. After an hour it was 70% and 50% after 90 minutes. I haven't tested this on medium or low.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com