What about these lights?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

What about these lights?

I've been perusing Amazon looking for bike lights with cutoff so I don't blind other riders on the MUP on my commute. I currently have a Ravemen CR700 but it seems to have a bit of spill above the cutoff, so I was looking for something with a downward facing LED and reflector instead of the TIR like the Ravemen.

There were a few that I hadn't heard anything about, so I wonder if anyone here had any experience with them. First is the PDW Pathfinder. It was mentioned in passing in one of the self contained lights threads, but there was no follow-up.

An Amazon recommendation (read: paid advertiser) was the Cycloving light. It has a fair number of reviews, but I'd really like to see a teardown It is pretty cheap and it includes a rear blinky light, so it's a tempting buy.

There's also the Meilan X1 with no reviews, but it looks like a nice compact unit (read: likely non-standard batteries if I were to take it apart).

And finally, there's the Novsight light with external battery. This sounds pretty nice, it's supposedly pretty bright (but we all know how accurate manufacturers' specs can be), it looks like my old MJ clone battery would fit: 2P2S 18650 pack, and it uses a standard GoPro mount. But I don't know anything about Novsight. Apparently they sell LED car bulb replacements, so maybe they have some LED and optics experience?

So, can anyone chime in on any of these, or recommend anything else cheap? Maybe the Lumintop C01? Fenix BC25R? Wait, I said cheap. This is cheap, but I don't know how sharp its cutoff is, and I'm wary of its automatic features.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah, right View Post
    I've been perusing Amazon looking for bike lights with cutoff so I don't blind other riders on the MUP on my commute. I currently have a Ravemen CR700 but it seems to have a bit of spill above the cutoff, so I was looking for something with a downward facing LED and reflector instead of the TIR like the Ravemen.
    [...]
    Maybe the Lumintop C01?[...]
    A downward facing LED and a reflector doesn't mean that light is really useful and glarefree. It only increases the probabilty.

I once tested the C01 and B01 from Lumintop. Both lights have the same reflector, the B01 has a bigger LED die (and thereby a worse light distribution)
    C01: nice beam color (more on the warm side) can be adjusted glare free. Slightly overilluminated at the area 4-7m in front of the bike, but not really bad.
    B01: If you adjust the B01 in a glarefree manner, the area 4-7m in front of your bike is significantly overilluminated, which reduces the perceived/usable reach of the light. Also colder beam tint.

You probably have to try those lights or ask the distributor/manufacturer whether they can give you a wallshot, like this one (of a B&M Ixon Space) to get an impression whether the light is really usable glare free or not. The brightest spot needs to be just at the cut-off, and that cut-off must be sharp with those bright lights.

If you buy one of those lights, please post a wallshot

Edit (v2): Novesight
    well, that Novsight looks pretty decent, found a manufacturers youtube video. From a (german) ebay offer, one can also see kind of a wallshot (last image). However, the brightest spot of the light is again not directly below the cut-off, that comes with less perceived reach/punch. Beam pattern otherwise seems fairly well homogeneous, the brightest area is for my linking a bit too small.

Edit (v3): Meilan X1:
    seems like a pretty weak lamp, on this site the max lux value is given with 35 lux (and it shows that the light seems to be really glarefree, if those values are not counterfeited), and the beam pattern is small. At least the brightest spot is directly below the cut-off. Batteries: 2x18350

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeah, right View Post

So, can anyone chime in on any of these, or recommend anything else cheap? Maybe the Lumintop C01? Fenix BC25R? Wait, I said cheap. This is cheap, but I don't know how sharp its cutoff is, and I'm wary of its automatic features.
    You are looking for street light?
    if you get the Fenix BC25R cheap take it.

Vinth offers a upgraded version High CRI +great tint + improved beam pattern only with LED change to LH351D.
    on that way the BC25R really become a great Street light.

lumintop offers with the B01 from the cheap point the best produkt for the money.
    solid performance, light, and interchanable batterys what grants you infinity runtime.
    ~26$ with discount code.

but near same problem like the BC25R ultraugly lightcolor and glare about a basic cheap coolwhite LED.

i mode my B01 by myself to a Samsung LH351D"~5$ adittional cost" to get a serious street light from it.....
    on that way the B01 is near not to beat......

only my Acebeam BK10 is better.

most essentiel part for street use is the LED type and color temp used.
    for real world every day usability.
    the next importet part is the beam profile itself, and how practical and problemfree it is design.

super cut-off oder smoother cut off is only a triviality.