Warning DS500 users: do NOT depend on Lupine batteries!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Warning DS500 users: do NOT depend on Lupine batteries!

It cost me $300 to learn this lesson after charger, adapter and shipping were included.

Their batteries are not reliable with the DS-500. Furthemore, if you buy their batteries, know that the top cap is not permanently attached. Also know that if you ask "why is the charger light blinking between red and green" that not only will they and their faq and instructions not tell you why, when asked directly they will only say that they do not have experience using their batteries and chargers with other lighting system. Their batteries will suddenly stop working with the DS-500 randomly. I had the battery charged to 100%. Then after using it with the DS-500, disconnecting while in a store, then reconnecting when I came back out, the light would not come on and the smart core displayed 20%. When trying to charge the battery back up, the charger light would spasm and flicker. I disconnected after a short period of that. Ran the light down over a period of many hours, indicating the smart core was wrong, then used the battery again without issue. Ran it down again. The when trying to charge it again the charger light started blinking steadily between green and red. Since there is nothing that says whay that type of blinking means I can only assume it is like with power tools and that it means the battery is permanently dead.

I have no idea of how the batteries perform with Lupine lights. JUST DO NOT USE THEM WITH THE DS-500!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just to clarify. This battery may be a dud, but it is likely an incompatibility between the smartcore and DS-500 from what I have read.

RAKC
    we tried to warn you that just cause its expensive it means NOTHING. Better to stick with simple battery packs. No reason to pay $300 (which is INSANE for a tail light set up TBH) when there are perfectly good battery packs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Oh, the light IS worth it! Just should have used a different battery. Could have bought 2 lights and batteries by now!

RAKC
    Oh not saying the light isnt nice but overkill for a rear light. And paying for lupine batteries...

Buy a normal pack, don't over think it and be done. Dont buy any with the onboard fancy gauges amd crap. Basic pack with protection circuit is all you need.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    It is not overkill. Buy one and look at it in the daylight from a distance. What is needed is a 3000 lumen tail light! This one is the first I have seen that is noticeable in the day. Two of them would be pretty nice in the day.

EAT MORE GRIME
    really ?

just get a redzone 8 and be done with it

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Reminds me of the Orfos flare. Still no where near the lux of the DS-500. Plus the battery is WAY too small.

RAKC
    Not sure who convinced you that you need all that for a tail light in a bicycle. But there is 0 need for all that. just like too much light on the bars, an over powered tail light (not saying one ds is it isn't) can become dangerous and cause road rage by drivers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Not during the day. And seeing is believing.

RAKC
    I was referring to 3000 lumen set up. Except for the fact the ds will suck down batteries just like a powerful headlight, it's output is probably right at max for day or night use.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    .....Except for the fact the ds will suck down batteries just like a powerful headlight
    A red LED has a little more than half the Vf of a white LED so runtime will be a little less than double a similar headlight at the same Amperage.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    Didn't think about that part. Never messed with XPE. Though powering 6 of them I'd gather is going to crunch that run time. I'd think a single triple unit would be a lot better for that part.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Got offered a full refund. They just didn't email me for four day even though they had been doing so daily. They do back their stuff, but I do not think their smartcore is the best for the ds-500 due to the switching load and unload it puts on the battery. Maybe hardcase would be better, but I do not have faith now wehn used with the ds-500, as the battery was not designed for it.

RAKC
    dont buy battery packs with fancy extra stuff in them. A basic pack with a protection circuit is all that is NEEDED for any light. BUt the pack has to be rated for the purpose. Manufacturers spec their packs for their lights. DS lists packs that will work with their lights for a reason. Very basic system, just over discharge and overcharge protection, nothing more. Thats all you need. By going fancy, you mated up something thats not meant for the purpose you tried to use it for.

Youd be best off contacting the makers of the DS and getting packs they recommend and leave it at that instead of wasting money. Your lucky Lupine gave you a refund as they didnt need to. Wasnt their mistake. So dont push it by just getting random packs. Talk to the guys that made the light.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    really ?

just get a redzone 8 and be done with it
    I have the new clear one and the cap is shitty quality at best. It cracked the second time I attached it. Faulty design imo. its a bayonet type design made out of clear plastic.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I have the new clear one and the cap is shitty quality at best. It cracked the second time I attached it. Faulty design imo. its a bayonet type design made out of clear plastic.
    I don't know what you mean by new clear one and a bayonet design ??

mine, and afaik the ones for sale today,
    they are black carbon tubes with silicone endcaps

there is a pre-sliced slit on the silicone endcap that is there by design
    so air burps out when you put the cap back on after charging

~ B A D A S S ~
    The new ones are clear plastic all over, look in the user manual pdf.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    The new ones are clear plastic all over, look in the user manual pdf.
    BLAH !!!!! THEY MESSED UP

as goofball as the prev units were, I loved
    them and find the genius in the design

oh well....the good thing is they are still there making improvements
    [sort of....belch ]...I will just hang onto mine and hopefully if I need a new
    one, by then they will have clear plastic version 2.1 with improved non-cracking connector

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I think that both lighty and Tigris are right on this.

I have a DS-500 rear and front light and they are freaking awesome! That being said, I would never buy a Lupine Smartcore battery for them. Basic 18650 battery packs and that's it.

Steven (?), the maker of DS lights simply says to buy the batteries from Action LED Lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Yeah, he actually responds to emails unlike lupine. I would not touch magic shine with a 10 foot pole though. I have a gloworm now and so far so good. Seems better made than the lupine battery as the top doesn't just pop off like with the lupine.