Variances in output between equal lights?- Mtbr.com
    nocturnal oblivion

Variances in output between equal lights?

So Ive used a Dinotte 400L for a couple years and just got a second. The new one is much brighter when side by side with the same lens setup. Swapping batteries gave no change.
    I haven't heard of Dinotte improving the 400L, is this an individual variance? I know this happens with the Magicshines but doesn't the quality control of a good company like Dinotte prevent that?
    The difference is big, the brighter (new) one is a more blue/white color and has more throw.

mtbr member
    They may have changed the bin of the LED that they are using. Even though they may have not advertised a change it is very likely that they changed to a different bin as it became available as it is sometimes hard to get older (yes 2 years is old) LED's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zen bicycle
    They may have changed the bin of the LED that they are using. Even though they may have not advertised a change it is very likely that they changed to a different bin as it became available as it is sometimes hard to get older (yes 2 years is old) LED's

My thoughts entirely....A couple years ago I wrote Dinotte to ask if they were upgrading any of their lights. ( I wanted to upgrade my 600L with Cree R-2's ) They told me then that they weren't using the Crees but that I might benefit from a newer version of the 600L. That got me thinking. Maybe they did get a batch of better binned P-4's. You can't ask Dinotte direct questions about their electronics because they won't answer...which...is a real bummer. Likely your 400L has better leds, optics or a driver that is over-driving the leds a bit more.....or.. perhaps a combo of all three. Just be glad that it's better.
    I still love my 600L. It is a great light.

mtbr member
    There is also the possibility(though not as likely as a new bin) that the older light has just got dimmer over time, especially if it has been allowed to get hot on a regular basis during it two years of use.

mtbr member
    Beamshots please.

Lumen maintenance is something like 70% over 50,000 hrs... I assume you've got nowhere near that amount of use out of it so the LEDs should still be "fresh".

nocturnal oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit
    Beamshots please".
    I don't have the camera ability. I would go with the different bin idea. It's never been overheated.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    I don't have the camera ability. I would go with the different bin idea. It's never been overheated.
    Depending on how much more you like the newer 400L, it might be worth giving Rob at Dinotte a shout to see if a trade-in is possible ( just the light-head that is ). You might have to pay a little more but it might be worth it if the newer version is significantly brighter....just a thought.

nocturnal oblivion
    Dinottes response, just as suggested by others. Though they won't comfirm nor deny change.

My guess is it's a combination of three things.

1. *color - the newer led probably has a slightly better color.
    2. *lensing - the optics are probably slightly better
    3. *LED - the lEDs have become slightly better.

If it becomes a real issue, we can take it in and look at refurbishing the
    light.

Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0