the usual...need some info- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

the usual...need some info

so my light and motion ARC battery finally died. a year or so ago i was researching replacing the system with an LED setup but nothing (real world, not paper) was even close to the brightness of my HID and the cool color temps really messed with trail details. have things improved on this front and are the LED products really putting out HID brightness levels?

i can read all day (and things sound great) but i'm looking for real world experience. the magicshine and bikeray products appear to be the popular choices here - can they really compare?

brightness and color temp were horrid at the time so i'm hoping there is something closer to HID performance since it looks like most manufacturers have gone 100% LED at this point.

alternative : anyone have a working ARC battery they want to unload?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I'll reply with the usual first questions most would ask size.Were you just using a single light, or do you have two? If just one,are you looking for bar or helmet set-up, and budget?

Though not cheap, Trailled has just stepped up their flagship light the Darkstar.It has gone to XM-Lamp leds and is putting out 1600 lumens.This is probably double the output of your ark.Price, unlike lumens has stayed the same as the MCE version,i think $420us. I spoke to Grady yesterday from Trailled and had him explain some of the changes made.Their Darkstar was MTBR's light of the year when it came out two years ago and the upgrades should make it a contender again this year. Plus i'd like to hear some feedback on this product as there hasn't been any yet on this forum.

You have to be carefull size to lumen claims made by some company's.I have several light sets ranging from 900 claimed lumens, that is getting smoked by the 440 lumen setting on my high end set-up. At the end of the day if you go with a quality company who's lumen claims are true OTF lumens, anything above 900OTF lumens should be noticeably brighter than your Ark.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I'll reply with the usual first questions most would ask size.Were you just using a single light, or do you have two? If just one,are you looking for bar or helmet set-up, and budget?

Though not cheap, Trailled has just stepped up their flagship light the Darkstar.It has gone to XM-Lamp leds and is putting out 1600 lumens.This is probably double the output of your ark.Price, unlike lumens has stayed the same as the MCE version,i think $420us. I spoke to Grady yesterday from Trailled and had him explain some of the changes made.Their Darkstar was MTBR's light of the year when it came out two years ago and the upgrades should make it a contender again this year. Plus i'd like to hear some feedback on this product as there hasn't been any yet on this forum.

You have to be carefull size to lumen claims made by some company's.I have several light sets ranging from 900 claimed lumens, that is getting smoked by the 440 lumen setting on my high end set-up. At the end of the day if you go with a quality company who's lumen claims are true OTF lumens, anything above 900OTF lumens should be noticeably brighter than your Ark.
    single ARC, usually helmet mounted but on the bars every now and then when i didn't feel like dealing with the non-coiled wire and trying to stuff it in my pack behind my head. why does nobody use a coiled wire anymore? so much easier and cleaner, especially for a solo user with a helmet mount.

budget wise i'm not opposed to spending more for quality but ideally i was hoping for something in the $150 range for a single and $300 a bar and helmet setup.

without playing favorites here what companies are listing true OTF lumens? obviously many of the popular smaller makers are not sold in most LBS so buying sight unseen is a probable situation.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Pretty much the only two light set up in the $300 range would be from Geoman Gear.They have (Bike Ray) products which i'm hoping are an improved version of the Magic Shine lights of past which were not so good.I have one, it is the 900 claimed lumen light i was refuring to that got smoked by the low 440 lumen setting on my higher end light.

Two options that i think would a better choice but a bit more $$, send an email to shannon at Bajadesigns located at the top left of this page.He may be able to help you out.His Stryker is the brightest P-7 set up out there and i think would be as bright as your old Ark,it would be a very good bar light.I'm not familiar with how bright your L/M Ark is but someone correct me if my guestimates are off.

Option two,Trailled also makes a 500+ which is very bright and may be able to give you a package deal on two lights.This would be close to your budget as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Sorry,,,,, as for company's most honest with their OTF lumen claims.(Lupine) uses a $10,000 sphere that is best for true OTFmeasurements,but they are out of you price range.I would include the Baja Stryker as been honest measured lumens.Dinotte seems very honest with their new products for ex: The 800+ is using 4-XPG leds and is probably an honest 1000 lumen product,well priced too $319us.Scar's Amoeba is there as well,another great helmet light.There are many more that i have not mentioned as i'm tying to stay close to your budget.And as my list below shows,,i have strayed.

- Lupine
    -Bajadesigns
    -Dinotte
    -Amoeba
    -Cygolight
    -TrailLed
    -L&M

Light freak
    Thanks indebt

Have lots of people using the Amoeba on both helmet and bars. Also have some newer versions available for people looking for more output, dimming, strobing and more. Newer versions using TaskLED drivers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Your welcome Scar. Maybe you have some insight on the output of size's old L$M Ark. I think a tripple on his bars and standard Amoeba for his lid would give him an ear to ear grin. Are you playing with any XM-Lamp leds yet for retail???

Light freak
    Yeah, I have got an XM-L version (max setting 2500ma's) -

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That's just crazy Scar, 1500 lumens in a 54 gram light head. You are the king of compactness.Cheers!!!

Goats Rule!
    Sep 2007
    Two mitycross 400's. $179 each at bike bling, use the discount code for 10% off bringing each to right around $161. No tax if outside of CA, add a few bucks for shipping. BB is not my favorite shop but they have a good price - you can always ask for a price match from Modern Bike (who I like MUCH MUCH more).

That's about as close as I think you can get to your $300 budget for two quality lights unless you go the used route.

mtbr member
    Scar...Duel XM-L's ! ...How does it handle the heat? Heck, forget that, show me some beam pic's!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Scar...Duel XM-L's ! ...How does it handle the heat? Heck, forget that, show me some beam pic's!
    I think Scar's using Regina reflectors, in which case there are several XM-L+Regina beamshots in the Beamshot thread in the DIY forum. I think the beam pattern is excellent for a helmet light - good throw, wide spot and decent spill. I prefer optics for a bar light, but that's personal preference.

Heat is probably handled by the thermal controls in the driver - that housing should be fine with some decent airflow and the L3 setting (which the driver drops to once the thermal limit is tripped) should be ~600mA, which that housing can easily deal with.

turtles make me hot
    These are more expensive than what you want to spend, but I thought I'd add my 2cents in the LED discussion. I bought the Exposure Diablo and Toro. They were previously single LED lights. When I ordered mine, they had just improved them both to 3 LEDs each. They have self contained batteries, so no wires. They are BRIGHT. I run the Diablo on my helmet and the Toro on my bars. Both on medium. If there's a lot of moisture in the air, the Diablo on high will white out and actually hamper my vision. On medium, I am able to ride as fast at night as I do during the day.
    So... I guess what I'm saying is LEDs are the way to go.
    I like turtles