User Review: ITUO Wiz20- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    RAKC

User Review: ITUO Wiz20

So I received a Wiz20 today from Ituo for review. Just have to say, its a really nice light.

www.ituolights.com

Ride Video

First Impressions:

-Nice, clean, quality light. First thing I noticed was the fast it only has a front and rear cover and the switch. No multiple layers to the housing.

- Rear cover is hinged with an aluminum spring latch. Very simple and straight forward to use.

-USB charging of whatever cells you put in it. It does run on 8.4v not 4.2v which is nice to see. And yes USB charging does work perfectly. Its set up with a thick rubber cover on the bottom of the lighthead.

-Optics are a "tight spot". Appear to be LEDDNA (as we know them) 10 deg optics. A bit tight for a bar light IMO, but still very nice. Makes for good throw while still being usable in close.

-QR handlebar mount is similar to their Gorpro style mount in how the QR is set up and the slide lock for the light head itself. HOWEVER, not a gopro compatible mount. The mount is all one solid piece of aluminum (nicely finished I might add) with the base for the slide lock machined as part of it. Makes sense though being the weight of the head, a light weight gopro qr mount would have a hard time not tilting under the weight of the lighthead.

Here it is mounted on my Mukluk(fat bike)

This light has a few modes (ok more than a few). Need some time to mess with those. MAJOR POINT TO MAKE WITH THE WIZ20 THOUGH, ITS FULLY USER PROGRAMMABLE. Ya you read that right. Has a couple preset mode set ups you can select. Or you can program I believe up to 5 modes. The one issue I do have though is the mode spacing. Many of us know the KD2 yinding clone driver. Programmable modes in 10% increments. Have been trying to mess with it and seems the mode spacing per 10% is noticeable up to 40% then from there to 100% there is little change. ALmost not noticeable. Not sure if Im doing something wrong, but Im not seeing the full set of mode options. I did several checks just to make sure. Andd tried to set the light at 20-50-100 just to start and 50-100 there is little change. Doesn't seem like a 50% change, not like what we see normally.

Output:

I cant say its "1500 lumens" yet. My DIY integrated sphere I hope to have up and running this weekend, so this will be first light to be "reviewed" on it.

Here's what I do know: Fenix BC30R is rated at 800 lumens on level 4 (1600 with the stupid and useless turbo button). So I light up my yard with BC30r (at level 4) and Wiz20 side by side. Wiz20 IS ALOT BRIGHTER! So close to 1500 lumens if not "spot on" is very possible.

This is a pic of the 2 side by side. But I think we have a better option than Fenix by far. Both in output and functionality.

All the in depth details, beam shots, etc to come over the next several days. At this point though having this light in my hand and the reviews of their single emitter lights, I think we have a very real and solid contender for the sub $150 light market. This one is $99.99 WITHOUT CELLS, $129.99 with cells.
    Last edited by tigris99; 05-15-2016 at 08:51 PM.

RAKC

Technical Details Etc

Details video

OK here's the in depth specs:

Weights:

Head only: Claimed- 154g, Actual is 151g for mine

Head with LG 3200mah Keeppower 18650: 251g

Mount: 35g confirmed

Claimed Output: 1500 lumens

Actual Output: Visual approximation (comparison vs other lights), 1300-1400 lumens. Within acceptable range for output margin of error. Will hopefully test and get exact numbers soon

Update: Ok lumen output over run time curve using NCR18650GA cells.

Beam pattern: Standard 10deg PMMA TIR Optics. Confirmed these are the 10deg optics we all know. Making optics changes is VERY easy (just pay attention to seal and orings during reassembly) and giving us SEVERAL options for beam patterns. Thankfully these arent the poor efficiency optics we see in most lights. ITUO did their homework well, used the optics we all upgrade to from stock ones.

Batteries: 18650 Li-Ion cells only x 2

-Use of protected cells is recommended, driver does not have over discharge protection. Light can be purchased with 3100mah Cells.

-Does have reverse Polarity protection

Run time:

-Claimed: 2.3 hours on 3100mah Ituo cells on "high"

-Actual: ON LG 3200mah KeepPower (brand new, but been sitting for about 2 months) 2 hrs 23mins. Claimed Run time is verifed. Many factors with using different cells will play a part. So you may get a bit more or a bit less.

Charge Time: Heavily variable based on cells used and usb charger used to supply power for charging.

Simple 2 light indication: blue is down to 20% battery life, red is 20% on down.

Driver UI: Press and hold first goes to "hidden" mode, continue to hold turns off. Simple press turns on and cycles through normal modes.

2 default modes. One with 3 modes, hidden dim mode (press and hold). Second is 2 modes and hidden flasher.

Fully programmable in 10% increments for normal modes. Can adjust default modes or program up to 5 of your own, and several choices for the hidden mode. Instructions give a FULL break down of how to do each.

UI programming takes a bit to sort out all the options, BUT THEY ALL WORK AND WORK WELL.

Emitters: Claimed are XM-L2 U3 NW. U3 bin isnt something that can be verified obviously. They are XM-L2, output vs run time and tint U3 bin is likely. They are Neutral tint, currently seem to be 3C tint. I will check closer to see if the "pinkish tinge" is there that says 3D tint instead.

Thermal Path: Good. Emitter pcb is mounted to one large aluminum pill with plenty of thermal paste. This pill is very tightly fitted (but not pressed) into the case, then also held in place by screws. Electronics are mounted seperately behind the pill. Casing does warm up slowly due to mass and surface area. But easy to tell path is good since emitter output decreasing as head warms up isnt visually noticeable.

Driver: All attention to detail has been covered. No cheap switch or poor assembly. Properly cleaned, epoxy holding inductor, full silicone wire used for both battery contacts and to emitters. Driver has simple but existent thermal path to case via how its mounted.

ITUO did their homework, they learned from all of us and the execution internally was done very well.

Beam Shots with some comparison shots and videos coming as weather and time allow.

Low 20%-

Medium 50%-

High 100%-

As a comparison, here is the Fenix BC30R on Level 4 (High). Its about in line with the Wiz 20 @ 50%, just more spread to the beam:

Last edited by tigris99; 05-15-2016 at 08:53 PM.

mtbr member
    Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too big

Im curious, how is this "way too big"???? Its a dual emitter, self contained light. They don't get any smaller. Combine any dual emitter light with its battery pack and its waaaaaaaay BIGGER

mtbr member
    His post seem a bit troll like.

RAKC
    ^^LOL

Ok been playing with this a bit more (been constantly raining still). Have the hole programmable driver sorted. Alot to it, but it all works. Been testing it out in the rain (till I get too cold, not exactly warm here) and waterproofing works quite well. Comparing against other lights I am slowly raising my guess on output. 1400ish maybe a bit more.

PS, a lot of info added to Tech Specs now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    His post seem a bit troll like.

No, I don't think so. ( A difference in opinion does not a troll make. ) He has too much rep to be a troll ( or troll like ). He just thinks it's big. Sometimes photo's don't do a product justice. I thought the Wiz-1 was big until I had it in my hand. Once in my hand I saw it was smaller than my other 26650 torch ( and much more user friendly ).

Great review so far tig. I like all the bells and whistles the Wiz20 brings. I'm thinking likely it will produce a beam pattern similar to the Gloworm X2. If someone thought the Wiz-1 provided too narrow a beam pattern they should have no problem with the Wiz20.

I only see one negative; The Wiz20 doesn't use the GoPro system. That said I'm not sure how easy it will be to re-aim the lamp on the fly. I'm sure the bar mount can be made to adjust but that's not quite the same thing as having a mount with a single adjustable pivot point. Not a major issue but for commuters the ability to easily and quickly adjust the aim of the lamp means a lot when in heavy traffic or if using lower levels of light ( for prolong run time ).

Tig, does the bottom of the lamp look as though someone might be able to retro-fit the lamp with a GoPro mount if they wanted to? Lot's of aftermarket GoPro mounts.

Anyway, my take on it is that the Wiz20 is an overall winner. Great touch that ITUO gave it a "Programmable User Interface" and "Neutral LED's", all in a nifty self contained package....Win, Win, Win.

mtbr member
    Oh..tig...almost forgot to ask; I'm wondering if the Wiz20 will run with the USB plug charging. (?)

If it does, this might mean someone might be able to hook a USB ( battery pack charger ) to the lamp ( while being used ) to prolong run time.

(* I might have answered my own question. I just tried it with my Wiz-1 and it doesn't work. Not a big deal but would of been nice it it did. Then again, a USB charge pack just contains 18650 cells and since you can switch out cells with the Wiz20 ( or Wiz1 ) it's pretty much the same thing...never mind.. )

Hooligan
    Intriguing. Where's the best place to buy this? I'm looking for a self contained light for my helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

RAKC
    These arent designed out of the box for helmet use just fyi. Would gather buying an aftermarket gopro adapter from vancbiker would open up that option.

If your in the states, as of right now the only way to order them is via the manufacturer (Ituo) directly.

mtbr member
    Heavy lights don't work so well with GoPro mounts anyway. The extra mass means they tend to pivot around the thumb screw.

Hooligan

User Review: ITUO Wiz20

Thanks for the review. How much does it weigh? I've seen bar mount to helmet type adapters before, so I was thinking that would work to get it on a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    Hell of a jump, dawg. Even though they're baggy shorts, I'm surprised that you can fit your balls into them.

RAKC
    Its posted in the second post.

@Cat: I'll try to remember to try it tonight. Doubt itll work and as you said, being able to quickly and easily change cells would defeat the purpose anyway.

mtbr member
    It will be to heavy for the lid unless you have next muscles like "the Rock" Johnson.

RAKC
    @Cat: Nope doesnt work

OP's updated with beam shots and a look at emitters/pill

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    @Cat: Nope doesnt work

OP's updated with beam shots and a look at emitters/pill
    Updated beam photos look great.

RAKC
    After some testing on run time vs capacity used (used Panasonic ncr18650b) driver draws 1.5A avg across 2hrs. At 2:01 is when light went red with the Panasonics, about 3050mah used, 3.29v per cell after resting out of light.

So calculations and estimates are falling into place pretty well. Ituo's claimed numbers match actual. Lumens at cold start and topped off cells would be right below or at 1500 lumens, would expect to follow cree data based on temp from there. This head dissipates heat INSANELY well. Took 26mins at ambient 70F with no air flow for the head to hit 100f. Seemed to hang out there pretty much only varying a few degrees based on where I would set it down during test. I was chasing my toddler and such during the runtime tests so light was being moved from room to room lol.

Very pleased to see all claimed specs falling in line with actual.

RAKC
    Used this for my commute tonight. Was nice to have the high mode coming down the bridge where I spin out my gearing (on any bike, including my fat bike). Its a slightly wider than normal sidewalk with concrete walls on either side. So at those speeds in the dark with street lights illuminating everything except the sidewalk, a light with more power is welcomed. And with the cutoff the front cover creates, I dont piss off drivers while in higher modes.

I didn't think to bring my camera just to catch a bit of video. I am hoping something in the form of trails will be open Sunday night to give this light a trail test.

Also, I switched optics to the 25deg. Great mix of even spread and throw. Much less of a hotspot. I'll get beam shots with optics change this weekend.

mtbr member
    Any problems changing the optics? What optics did you use and where did you buy them?

And speaking of optics; The folks from ITUO told me the other day that they are considering updating the Wiz-1 and 2 with optics. This of course means a whole new redesign if they choose to go that route. They will also be including the "programmable mode UI" into the new lamps as well ( the current press/hold sub-low mode will be done away with though ) Instead you will have 3 programmable steady modes ( 1-10 level programmable output levels ). Flash modes will remain the same ( non-programmable ).

I noticed the other day on the MTBR light shootout that there are an awful lot of self-contained lamps that are now available. That said the Wiz20 has an advantage at being one of the few to offer neutral tinted LED's. Not to mention ( but I will ) that the Wiz20 is programmable and apparently the optics are removable/replaceable.

Looks like I might be able to ride myself on Saturday. Been a while since I've been on a bike.

mtbr member
    Yeah they are asking around and doing grass roots style research which I like. Going to optics will help make the wiz1 &2 more compact and flexible. My wiz 20 is on its way

RAKC
    I told them the 18650 version to leave on reflector since its fitting for a helmet light, any optic is going to make a big spot/loose throw. But the 26650 version is pretty heavy for helmet use, so optics are a good idea there.

@cat, optics change is STUPID EASY. Since the use the same optics with white holders you can get at fasttech/leddna for dirt cheap (but some of the best optics available) its really east. Pull the front plate screws, gently pull stock optics out, pop new ones in and put the 2 screws back in. Takes like 2 minutes if that.

RAKC
    Got out tonight for a ride. I got brave:

My local trail (one 5 mins from home) can be ridden in conditions that close all others due to soil type. Takes alot to make it soft to where its possible to leave ruts. So rideable tonight.

So knowing that on my 29er the climbs kick my rear, but I can clear them, I went out expecting to be playing hike a bike alot for the steep climbs. Why, cause I took my Mukluk with Nates. And wanted to see how my new Vasque Arrowhead boots felt for riding (loving them btw). So I was running almost as heavy as if geared for snow. 28-31F (temps varied by elevation), no snow. Just wet, greasy, leaf coveted trail.

Yeap I had to hike-a-bike but less than expected. Only the couple longer yet still steep climbs. The short ones a little more stand and mash but cleared them. Those big a** tires carry moments really well so they actually helped make up for my lower speeds.

Ok on topic: Wiz20 did AWESOME. 10deg optics would have driven me nuts, but the 25deg optics were perfect. Great tint, my ideal beam pattern. Of course many like the tighter beam that the stock optics will give, my personal preference I dont for a bar light.

Medium was enough till I started working my way back down. Due to leaf cover I needed the extra power to help pull out the shadows to show where the trail actually was. Did great on medium going in and high on the return side.

Now there's a plus side to this light that ones like fenix CANT DO. Winter riding matter of cold batteries. The wiz20 has enough heat generation on high mode that in my current temps, my batteries still felt "warm" at the end of the ride. Which mean they stayed well inside optimal temps during the ride. Fenix (and most other mid output self contained lights) generate little heat on max. So they can handle even high temps no problem. Wiz20 will run "hot" by those standards but still much cooler than our little dual emitter lights.

Neutral tint and generates enough heat to keep batteries from getting too cold makes this the best cold weather light I've seen yet.

And yes I got video. ;p

mtbr member
    Got out tonight for a ride. I got brave:

My local trail (one 5 mins from home) can be ridden in conditions that close all others due to soil type. Takes alot to make it soft to where its possible to leave ruts. So rideable tonight.

So knowing that on my 29er the climbs kick my rear, but I can clear them, I went out expecting to be playing hike a bike alot for the steep climbs. Why, cause I took my Mukluk with Nates. And wanted to see how my new Vasque Arrowhead boots felt for riding (loving them btw). So I was running almost as heavy as if geared for snow. 28-31F (temps varied by elevation), no snow. Just wet, greasy, leaf coveted trail.

Yeap I had to hike-a-bike but less than expected. Only the couple longer yet still steep climbs. The short ones a little more stand and mash but cleared them. Those big a** tires carry moments really well so they actually helped make up for my lower speeds.

Ok on topic: Wiz20 did AWESOME. 10deg optics would have driven me nuts, but the 25deg optics were perfect. Great tint, my ideal beam pattern. Of course many like the tighter beam that the stock optics will give, my personal preference I dont for a bar light.

Medium was enough till I started working my way back down. Due to leaf cover I needed the extra power to help pull out the shadows to show where the trail actually was. Did great on medium going in and high on the return side.

Now there's a plus side to this light that ones like fenix CANT DO. Winter riding matter of cold batteries. The wiz20 has enough heat generation on high mode that in my current temps, my batteries still felt "warm" at the end of the ride. Which mean they stayed well inside optimal temps during the ride. Fenix (and most other mid output self contained lights) generate little heat on max. So they can handle even high temps no problem. Wiz20 will run "hot" by those standards but still much cooler than our little dual emitter lights.

Neutral tint and generates enough heat to keep batteries from getting too cold makes this the best cold weather light I've seen yet.

And yes I got video. ;p
    I took a little ride tonight as well ( road set-up ). With temps hovering around 50°F just after dark I thought I might get a short ride in. Damn, must not of had enough clothing on because I still felt cold. I took a couple more beam shots using the Wiz-1 but damn, I still can't seem to get a decent beam shot of the low beam. I guess the phone camera just can't deal with the lower light level. Disappointing because I feel the low setting works very well for general slower speeds.

Somewhere I have an old Sony Cyber-shot camera but for the life of me I have no idea where it is. Been years since I last used it. Then again if my memory serves me, it too didn't work well in cold weather.

So far I haven't noticed any problems with the Wiz-1 riding in the cold. On the other hand the cold definitely had an effect on my cheap UF 501-B drop-in torch I was using on the helmet. Of course could of just been the battery was low.

RAKC
    OK so video from last night is no good, lol. I was fighting with the high moisture content in the air, had to switch camera cases (one mounted on the bike immediately fogged up when i opened it to put camera in). And in the rush to switch, I didnt get the camera close enough tot he stem to actually point truly forward...

That said, the video did reveal something Im not fond of:
    PWM frequency is REALLY LOW. Like KD2 kind of low. Medium mode on the Wiz20 has very noticeable PWM on camera on the edges of the beam. Needs improvement. Wont show as bad once i redo the video with camera actually pointing forward, but I don't like seeing it that strongly. I do expect some hint of it in low mode, but not medium. Especially in such a excellent light.

Also, having tested a few optics beam patterns against my other lights (matching optics each time) I noticed the front plate messes with the beam pattern. Not on the 10deg optic, but it does with wider beams. Reason is the way the front plate is machined. The 10deg it seems to cut off the spill a bit, but 25deg you notice it a fair bit more. My thoughts are a "cut off". Which isn't a bad thing, especially for pavement use. Its not a strong cut off, with stock optics you have to know what your looking for to see it unless your looking at the light from a distance in front of it. Since on the bars it would be pointed at a downward angle, it takes a lot of the sting out of looking at the light. Trail use it may or may not bother you. I had wondered why I had to mess with the light position a couple times as Im not used to a cut off.

Temps around 50 wont effect the cells really, especially in a self contained unit. You might see a mild effect on a separate pack after being out a little while (cells exposed long enough to match outside temps) but thats minimal. Get down close to and below freezing and you start to notice if cells are in a pouch or light head doesnt generate enough heat on a self contained unit.

Im going to aim for tomorrow to go back out, air is supposed to be much dryer too (and temps above freezing) so I shouldnt have to deal with near as much annoying glare off the leaves and the air itself.

RAKC
    OK got another ride in tonight. Insanely nice weather for December (almost hit a record high during the day). Trails were in beautiful shape, though I expected them not to be so I took the fat bike again. Trail bike would have done fine though (so might try to sneak out tomorrow night or saturday before it rains).

GOT GOOD VIDEO I THINK.

Except I wasnt thinking and acidently put flat unprotected cells in it, so when it got really rough the light would flicker on high mode. SO BE ADVISED, use button top cells if your going to switch back and forth. Light is designed for protected and the springs are made just enough that protected cells compress them almost flat (reducing resistance). SO a few uses on button tops then trying to use flat unprotected cells doesnt work. THIS IS NOT A DESIGN FLAW. THe copper contact is actually exposed on the PCB under the springs, so the spring when compressed can make more contact with it (NICE JOB THERE ITUO!) reducing voltage sag.

I did find for this trail, that 1 25deg and 1 stock optic work better. though the undergrowth is "dead" for winter, the leaves and bare branches of undergrowth still create glare since air is still not "dry" so keeping the light narrowed up more works better. dual stock optics I didnt like as my in close flood is very dim and some tight areas I am looking down almost at the tire and just off the edges of the bars to make sure I clear the trees on either side.

WIll get a video segment or 2 posted tomorrow just for a "teaser"

Im debating on trying some elliptical optics next ride, see if pulling the light to focus more on the trail is something I like better or not. 10deg round I dont like, but elliptical at 90deg from "the normal" might be interesting. This light is really easy to change optics in so im more inclined to test out more beam patterns since this light excepts all options easily.
    Last edited by tigris99; 12-11-2015 at 02:05 AM.

mtbr member
    WIll get a video segment or 2 posted tomorrow just for a "teaser"

Im debating on trying some elliptical optics next ride, see if pulling the light to focus more on the trail is something I like better or not. 10deg round I dont like, but elliptical at 90deg from "the normal" might be interesting. This light is really easy to change optics in so im more inclined to test out more beam patterns since this light excepts all options easily.

Mole

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    Intriguing. Where's the best place to buy this? I'm looking for a self contained light for my helmet.
    x2

Can't seem to find them?

RAKC
    Contact Ituo if your in North America.

RAKC
    Ok so mother nature pissed on my parade, wanted to ride tonight but with leaf covering even a light rain gets things slick in trails that have a couple high risk (steep down hill off one side of trail that ends off a 150ft bluff) spots. Being as plan was for trail bike (fat was on the work stand so I could dial my rear bb7 back in fully) was no way.

So I worked on videos. Damned if the camera was still pointed off the wrong way, damn Chinese gopro mounts lol. Reversed the mount and good to go now.

Other plus side, I got my Ion Air action camera going again, so once I replace case for the SooCoo, ill have 3. Found my chest harness too cause learned something else. .

Camera on handlebars of a rigid fatbike on choppy trails trying to record night riding....

Cross my fingers that I can get all the video I want this weekend to finish my video review. Camera issues have been great for giving me more excuses to night ride with this light though.

And my fenix made it all the way to the "spare shelf" now lol. The Wiz20 is just better in every way so far. Unless you really like the huge display of the bc30r.

Also im purposely going to try and "get caught" in the rain tomorrow night. Something you'll almost never here me say. But this is only the second light I would trust to intentionally get it wet.

RAKC
    Tease Video (processing at time of post)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi guys, I also have received a WIZ20 for review and I have been a lot slower to write it than TIGRIS99.
    I am also very impressed with the light and have posted a USER 2 - WIZ20 review on MTBR. This very picture heavy with beam shots and also time versus output test. For the moment mine has only been tested during my commute to work and I still have to do forest and XC runs to complete my review. The forest is 30mn drive from where I live in Sussex, UK and I only mountain bike once a week on our club ride and I missed the last two. I hope you will also find my review informative. I have now read Tigris99 review and all postings and this is first class review, thanks. I am also very please to see the inside of it and to learn that Ituo is assembling their lights the proper way.
    here is a beam shot to get you interested.
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-wiz20h.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi a small video of some of the different modes taken in town
    This also show the PWM, this can not be seen by the human eye, certainly not mine and this was only spotted on the video. strangely enough, their WIZ1 or WIZ2 does not show any sign of it.

RAKC
    Pwm is alot easier to hide in flashlights, takes more tweaking to hide it on multicell/emitter lights.

I did discuss it with them and its being worked on to fix so it only shows if at all in the lowest mode.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Pwm is alot easier to hide in flashlights, takes more tweaking to hide it on multicell/emitter lights.

I did discuss it with them and its being worked on to fix so it only shows if at all in the lowest mode.
    Will fix in mass production.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    ITUO- reliable, affordable, performance bike lights
    www.ituoworld.com

RAKC
    I decided to play with the programming options of the hidden mode last night.

Found a mode I really like:

Light is on at around 50-60% but there is a flash that simply flashes 100%. So im never going dark between flashes. And there is a good time delay between each flash. Gives a flash for commuting while giving you constant light on so you can see too. Loving that! Oh and hidden modes can be programmed in either mode group.

More I play with this light, the more impressed I am with it. Especially the UI. The huge mix of options, programmable outputs and everything is great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I decided to play with the programming options of the hidden mode last night.

Found a mode I really like:

Light is on at around 50-60% but there is a flash that simply flashes 100%. So im never going dark between flashes. And there is a good time delay between each flash. Gives a flash for commuting while giving you constant light on so you can see too. Loving that! Oh and hidden modes can be programmed in either mode group.

More I play with this light, the more impressed I am with it. Especially the UI. The huge mix of options, programmable outputs and everything is great.
    Hi Tigris, I think you are talking about what they call a WARNING FLASH! I to found this a good mode to use during my night time commuting, kind of give you the edge on normal light as the flash do attract people attention to the light and cyclist behind. Another mode that I really like is their twin flash, a series of two very quick and very bright flash and a pause, I use this during my day time commute, this certainly even on a bright day make you notice! I can still see the road traffic sign lighting up and this is in full day light! Way to bright for night time, but as the name DAY FLASH suggest, this is designed for day use. Both modes were also used on their single led WIZ1&2 that I had the luck of also reviewing. I must say that like you, what I have tried from ITUO has impressed me!

We went to do a bit of Christmas shopping today and I popped into Evanscycles, (one of the bikes giants here in the UK) among other things, I had a look at their lights (as always) and they had a CATEYE VOLT1600 in a locked glass cabinet, for the same type of light the VOLT body looked a lot bigger and certainly with a hefty price tag! I still have not tried the WIZ20 on a proper MTB ride, but for me this does the job very well for my commute, you just got to watch out where you are pointing the light as this very bright.

The only real grind I have with it, is that I can not fit my new Pluzpower 3500mAh batteries, they are just a fraction to fat to go in!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think you have done a few offroad rides with it and approached the subject of optics used on the WIZ20 in the past. I cycle mainly in Friston forest in the south coast of England, we use fire road to go up and singletrack to go down, do you recon for that type of condition, the light would benefit by replacing one of the optic with a wider beam one? (still got to try my WIZ20 in the forest). Mater of interest what light do you use on your lid?

RAKC
    Your 3500mah cells should fit if you remove the sticker label. I had to do that with my LG keeppower cells I use.

As for optics change, im actually running dual 25deg optics, which I already had because I ordered a selection from leddna. One of each works well too but I prefer a bit wider so my vision doesn't tunnel.

As for helmet, right now since its cold out I use my modified yinding. When its warm out (or I want just under 2000 lumens on the lid) I use my modified bt21.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Tigris, I did wonder if removing the label would be sufficient, as I could see there is was not much in not going in. I did informed ITUO and I think they may make the chambers a fraction larger for next production run.

How does the 3500 perform?

Regarding the optics, I have not removed the bezel to check the optics size, so can you let me know if they use the 20mm or 21.2mm OPTICS?
    Thanks

RAKC
    Battery performs the same just a little longer run time. My LG cells are 3200 iirc. I have some ncr18650ga 3500, performance of light is nothing different except run time.

Ive never measured diameter of optics as all that I have are 21 or 20, 0.5mm makes no difference in any head I have. Usually that extra is the holder, NOT the optic itself. So some i remove the holder, this light was built around using the holders. Its the height that matters. The stock optics are the exact same 10deg optics (in white holders) for xml/xml2 carried by fasttech.com and leddna.com. These are shorter overall at the optic itself, so other optics may or may not work. Some I have fit, others do not.

RAKC
    Ok, 1 camera bars (got my ion air going again), camera on chest mount, and one at the bottom of the fast descent, I better have all the video I was wanting lol.

AND FREAKING LOVING this tint alot now (~5000k tint) 23F out, frosty air and ground. Not just this light as all mine have it, but the wide 25deg optic, NW tint and right mount of output made the ride pleasant instead of a headache by the end from cool white tint glare.

Also my helmet pack started to suffer from the cold temps by the end, need to keep to my high discharge/low internal resistance cells for the cold as output was noticeably lower at the end of the ride. BUT THE WIZ20 WAS GREAT START TO FINISH!!! Even in sub freezing temps, high mode is enough to keep the head warm enough to keep the cells from being effected by the cold. Something NO OTHER self contained type light I've owned (which ive had a few single emitter ones) can do. Winter always trashed run time/output cause they wouldn't draw enough current to create any warmth. Bc30r is notorious for this. Start my commute bright, id leave it on high but output was equal to a level lower by the time I get home. That's 12-15mins...

RAKC
    Ok time to update:

The sample models we have received have one serious flaw. Other reviewers pointed it out after I had mentioned the problem since the clip for my rear battery door broke.

Plastic retaining clip on top of the light that holds the door.

So the production models will not be set up this way. Ituo sent me a machined aluminum latch which holds well but as pointed out, but can be hit by something releasing the door.

As I said Itou is ON TOP OF IT. They were fast to make an aluminum version (over the weekend no less) and get it to me. I think itll be fine and they are hopefully changing the design to something like a finger screw in the back. Which was my fix while waiting for a new latch, Allen screw. Rear door drilled and case drilled/tapped.

Unbelievable the level they will listen and make changes based on our feedback.

RAKC
    Ok videos are done!

Here's the ride videos. I didn't think my cameras were all so different on their night time performance. Odd that my least expensive camera does the best job for night riding.

OP is updated, links for both videos added.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hi Tigris, I had a look at your video reviews good work, thanks.
    I have received as well from Ituo some updated aluminum battery clips. My plastic one is still going strong but I would feel more happy to have a metal one fitted. Just got round to change them. The pin removed seems to be a too tight for the new metal release clip. Did you have to bore it out slightly with a drill bit? or use quite a bit of force with a pair of pliers to get the pin through it? Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Sorted, I did run a very small drill in the new clip, and use a pair of water pump pliers and tape on the body so not to damage the finish, new clip is in place, tight and very secured, looking good!

RAKC
    No I didn't drill it, it's not designed that way and making hole bigger will allow pin to work loose. I just pressed it in properly, no mods or anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Tigris, the drilling was used by using a drill bit with just my fingers, no tools, this just removed a dusting of metal and allowed me to start it up and I still add to use a pair of pliers and put quite a lot if force to push the pin in so, this will not come off I am pretty sure, I kind like the look of the bare aluminum clip, match the bezel. :-). I got over Christmas a headcam capable of recording well at night, my Contour ROAM2 did struggle a lot unless I run about 3000 lumens and the footage was still very dark. I got a Sony AV200V, ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT at night, I will be able to do some filming with the WIZ20!

RAKC
    Very nice, Sony cameras are good. As im seeing with a new camera im reviewing (gitup git2), they are great at night except white balance may be off so video the light looks a good bit more yellow than it should.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I have to say from what I see on your video I'm very impressed with the beam pattern. Could just be what the camera is picking up but I saw three stages of beam intensity. A fairly wide exterior halo, then a more intense middle hot spot, followed by the true hot spot. On a side note,, what ever helmet light you were using has some good punch!!!

RAKC
    The cameras arent picking up the full spill, there is a useful amount of spill so you have more peripheral but not enough to be a waste.

Helmet lamp is my modified yinding. Xp-l hi v2 emitters @ 2.4A with 10deg spot optics. Has some REALLY good throw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    I have to say from what I see on your video I'm very impressed with the beam pattern. Could just be what the camera is picking up but I saw three stages of beam intensity. A fairly wide exterior halo, then a more intense middle hot spot, followed by the true hot spot. On a side note,, what ever helmet light you were using has some good punch!!!
    Hi Indebt, I also have a review sample and have done more video recording this time with a Sony AS200V head cam, fitted on my bar. You can see the beam a lot better than with my the previous filming that I did with my Contour roam 2. The WIZ20 is a very nice light with a lot of plus: a good beam as standard, which I believe can be played with as they are using standard optics. I have been using so far only on the road, but I think this will be has good on the forest trails of Sussex. Check my last posting with my new video on my review USER 2 page http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...l#post12387659

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyraider59 View Post
    Hi Indebt, I also have a review sample and have done more video recording this time with a Sony AS200V head cam, fitted on my bar. You can see the beam a lot better than with my the previous filming that I did with my Contour roam 2. The WIZ20 is a very nice light with a lot of plus: a good beam as standard, which I believe can be played with as they are using standard optics. I have been using so far only on the road, but I think this will be has good on the forest trails of Sussex. Check my last posting with my new video on my review USER 2 page http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...l#post12387659
    Your video re confirms for me that this light has a nice beam pattern and more so has pretty good range as well. Am I safe to assume the thermal doesn't kick in very easily when moving as the whole body of the light must act like a heatsink?

RAKC
    There is no thermal, doesn't need it because the entire body is aluminum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Makes sense!

RAKC
    Early in the thread there's details on me testing run time and thermal management of the case. 0 airflow it gets pretty dang warm but no where near hot enough to cause concern. If you live in the desert I wouldn't advise leaving it on high while stopped. Like any self contained light, that's just a very bad idea. Li-Ion cells dont like getting really hot. Will severely reduce life of cell and can cause them to vent. Learned that accidently leaving a pair of fully charged cells sitting in my garage this summer, thankfully they were brand name cells, so they only vented a little and leaked a little gel. Of course cells were junk at that point, the gel is highly corrosive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I can also confirm, no thermal cut out and the whole body warm up on high so very good heat transfer. In the video on the farm track with all the tree, you can see how far the light do reach.I have not tried it with different optics, but I think the stock one do work well for me, but not tried it on a forest single track yet. I have done more filming this evening and I am hopping to upload it later on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    video of the special modes -flashing modes posted, see my last post at:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...l#post12389547

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    How much bulkier and heavier would a light like this be with 26650 batteries? Is anyone making one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arc View Post
    How much bulkier and heavier would a light like this be with 26650 batteries? Is anyone making one?
    I believe just the battery's would be approx. 40 grams a piece heavier than the 18650's.

I haven't seen a twin led set up with the 26650's only a single like the ITUO WIZ1. It was about 40 grams heavier than the WIZ2 which uses the 18650.

RAKC
    Weight will be 80+grams heavier just for the cells. Due to diameter of cell increase, head would increase in bulk by probably 40% plus corresponding weight increase of the head itself.

No, no one is making them because too heavy and bulky for bars. So demand is rather low. Your talking 1+lb light mounted on the bars. Plus the shear size. That's where separate systems work better. Some may not mind the weight but easier to accomplish more run time by simply carrying a second set of cells.

Personally if I need more run time, dont want extra bar weight, have the pack low to keep the weight low on the bike but that's me.

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That's what I figured, would be nice though to have a self contained light for riding in the snow with remote pack like run times.

The weight would be lighter than strapping the pack to my stem like I do now.

Changing batteries out in the cold would probably lead to me dropping or breaking something important.

My Taz 1200 is great for winter riding but the run time sucks in the cold.

Thanks anyway.

RAKC
    Not sure what run time your looking for but these pull over 2 hours. Ya 26650 light for people like you would do ok. Advise for cold is keep the pack good and warm up until the moment you get on the bike. And too cold even this light would be effected. 26650 version with same output due to shear increase in surface area would see the effects sooner than an 18650 light.

I know with this light its not possible to drop anything changing cells, except the cells themselves. Nothing to take off or loose from the light, dont even have to remove from the bars.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    ...... Your talking 1+lb light mounted on the bars. Plus the shear size. That's where separate systems work better. Some may not mind the weight but easier to accomplish more run time by simply carrying a second set of cells..
    I have always wondered about how sensitive folks are to added weight on the bars. I've always used my bar light with the battery mounted to the seatpost. I don't notice any difference in how the bike handles or feels even when I load up my battery with all 8 cells.

One of my sons and I have nearly identical SC Blurs with the exception of he has a Fox Vanilla (coil spring) and I have a Fox Float (air spring) forks. Same travel etc. except the Vanilla is about 3/4 of a pound heavier. His bike definitely feels heavier in the front than mine and more "sluggish to pop the front tire over rocks etc. All because of more weight? Differences in damping too? I wonder if adding a relatively heavy all-in-one light to the bars would kill the lively handling I enjoy.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    For me it depends on the bike. My mukluk I just put bar mitts on, plus had camera and wiz20 (literally just got back from playing in our hero snow lol, way too much fun), COULDNT FEEL ONE BIT OF DIFFERENCE. And bar mitts are heavy.

My 29er I can tell the difference between the wiz20 and a bt21 on the bars quite well. I account for it quickly, but I notice it at first. Put my Pogies (my pair I used prior to bar mitts Xmas present) that weight half what bar mitts do on that bike, I feel it.

3/4 of a pound in forks you'll notice but not horribly. Most of your issue is older fork. Damper etc will play a part in how the front responds. Also, unless his frame, seat position, stem, bar, stem spacers, all that is the exact same, you'll notice a different feel in the front.

Some are bothered by it, some not. On my fat bike I haven't reached my weight limit yet, though my right elbow begs to differ apparently atm. Think rigid fatty going over ice/snow chunks left by roads being plowed may be part of it lol. My 29er the wiz20 and camera is my limit before it bothers me.

RAKC
    Ok sphere is almost ready.

Also I got the sphere tests from Ituo directly since they have one and they also told me the variation between theirs and MTBR reviews sphere. So i have the "real numbers" to confirm against.

That said, their sphere numbers mean I was underestimating this light lol.

Ps: To date, still haven't ridden at all with anything but this for a bar light

mtbr member
    Ok sphere is almost ready.
    Also I got the sphere tests from Ituo directly since they have one and they also told me the variation between theirs and MTBR reviews sphere. So i have the "real numbers" to confirm against.
    Interesting, that's similar to how I estimate lumens using lux readings from my bounce tests. Your sphere will be more accurate and I look forward to seeing the measured #'s from wiz20 and other sphere results in the future.
    Mole

RAKC

Almost there!

RAKC
    And many hours running calibration tests (and the last little finish work). Its done!!!

Error is +/- a couple % obviously.

And results for Wiz20, well for mine which optics are not new anymore (cleaned them best I could lol) still coming out at 1514 lumens running the test as ANSI standard. 30-120seconds. Was at 1534 @ 30 seconds, stabilized out at 1514 lumens till just shy of 2 minutes where it dropped a couple lumens then stabilized again for a bit.

mtbr member
    And many hours running calibration tests (and the last little finish work). Its done!!!

Error is +/- a couple % obviously.

And results for Wiz20, well for mine which optics are not new anymore (cleaned them best I could lol) still coming out at 1514 lumens running the test as ANSI standard. 30-120seconds. Was at 1534 @ 30 seconds, stabilized out at 1514 lumens till just shy of 2 minutes where it dropped a couple lumens then stabilized again for a bit.
    !
    Mole

RAKC
    Had to check back with this.

Still loving this on the bars. Been able to get out a couple times lately. Been using it for around town/commuting type riding lately and works great.

Can't wait to see the wiz xp2 and xp3, whenever their ready.

Next is to do a run time/output test so I can get graphs going. That's the other thing I love about this light, its just CONSISTENT!!! Always gives me the same readings every time. Ituo is doing great things doing all their lights right the first time!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Had to check back with this.

Still loving this on the bars. Been able to get out a couple times lately. Been using it for around town/commuting type riding lately and works great.

Can't wait to see the wiz xp2 and xp3, whenever their ready.

Next is to do a run time/output test so I can get graphs going. That's the other thing I love about this light, its just CONSISTENT!!! Always gives me the same readings every time. Ituo is doing great things doing all their lights right the first time!
    Yes Tigris, I would be very interested in your runtime/ouput test and see how they compare to mine. You probably seen the post but an XP3 is on its way to me for evaluation, i should have it early this week, can't wait. I to being commuting to work with the WIZX20,and it is a good light. I have played a little with different optics, but I have come back to the stock one.. Also done some forest filming of a club ride we did a while back. Some was just with the WIZ20 and other with the a GLOWORM X2 on my lid, pretty happy with the results! (films on my review thread) I am a firm believer of twin set up for MB ie bar and helmet light, but if you are on a budget and do road and for instance XC and can only afford one light , that WIZ20 work well for both. Something else I like about the WIZ X series is the fact that they take standards batteries but you don't have to get them out for charging!

RAKC
    Ya that's the thing with this light. If you have money for only one light, CANNOT BEAT THE WIZ 20!!!! Especially with the convenience of the ability to USB charge anywhere.

That said it would be cool (though unsure what the market would think) if their USB charging system was made into an external little adapter that we could plug 8.4V packs into. Would be slow on anything but a 2 cell, but be amazing to have for weekend trips and such where wall plugs arent so easy to come by but you have you vehicle with you, use a car USB adapter. Or I also have a USB solar cell meant to be attached on the back of a pack to charge during daytime riding or just put out in the sun to charge whatever.

RAKC
    Ok here's the graph, first ever full on test like this. I need to get a way my computer can just track all this. Using a camera on time lapse photo mode, then manually type the numbers in.

RAKC
    OK heres a cleaned up version. Stinks Ill have to use my computer for graph pictures (open office) but google docs to go with all my other stuff.

Google link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...NSU/edit#gid=0

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, I searched the thread and found no mention but now the ITUO lights are on Gearbest, for decent prices.

Ituo Wiz20 Cree XM - L2 1500Lm Rechargeable LED Bike Light-69.66 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have just checked and they are using some of my photos without even asking permission!!!!!

RAKC
    Well they don't have permission for any of it, and pricing is manufacturer regulated to protect dealers so anyone who orders there wont get them.

mtbr member
    Well they don't have permission for any of it, and pricing is manufacturer regulated to protect dealers so anyone who orders there wont get them.
    Okay but how can Gearbest be selling these without the manufacturer's knowledge? That said , "Why would they sell to not make a profit"? This is all VERY, VERY STRANGE!. They are also selling the Wiz-1.

This I will say, "If I were truly looking for a great duel ( Cree ) emitter self-contained lamp I ( might ) roll the dice on one of these"....Gearbest or no Gearbest. Worst that could happen is that it wouldn't come and I'd have to file a Paypal claim. For the price they're asking I'd figure it would be worth the risk. ( **Keep in mind that they probably made a mistake on the listed price so expect it to change real fast ) ....ummm...then again this is Gearbest we're talking about. Well....while I might like to have a Wiz20 I think I'll pass on this...but only because it's Gearbest. Now if Kaidomain were to sell these I'd already have my order in.

It all boils down to this; *Gearbest or not to Gearbest (?)...that is the question.

( *People thinking of jumping on one of these..remember...it's Chinese New Years. No orders will ship for a couple weeks )

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyraider59 View Post
    I have just checked and they are using some of my photos without even asking permission!!!!!
    I just took a look at the ad again. Yeah, you're right, they are using some of your photos. The thing is those photos were likely provided to Gearbest by ITUO ( brand emblem is on photos ). Seeing that you are reviewing their lamps ( and they provide the lamps for free ) I don't think I'd complain about it too much. The way I look at it, the photos once posted on a public domain are free to copy. It would of been nice though if they had linked the photos to your review as that would have giving you some street cred. Anyway, I've seen other people do reviews and copy photos from manufacturer's website and post them online. Most of the time they never say where the photos came from. I guess ITUO probably figured, "What goes around, comes around"..."Good for the goose, good for the gander".

@tigris, You have ties to some people at Gearbest. Have you been able to confirm whether Gearbest is going to be a dealer for ITUO? If so do they actually have the lamps to sell?

RAKC
    Their on holiday, but my contact at Ituo said no they wont. The info GB has is from the distributor Ituo is using. GB has access to the same distributor. The pictures they have arent even the ones of the updated (after reviews) version, changes to the rear cover retention.

mtbr member
    Dealsmachine also has beam-shots that appear to be from Sykraider 59 and similar pricing too (no surprise).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Problem with the internet once posted you kind of have to rely on people courtesy to ask your permission for using your material. I have just received such an inquiry from the UK distributor and I have authorised them to use my review or photos on their website. Bright Bike Lights | Lights for Mountain Biking, Running and Orienteering

I also have email my ITUO contact yesterday, to try to get some answers , but he is on holiday. All I can say, when they did not have any dealers/distributors, I asked him about selling on ebay or Chinese Internet Giants and they were not interested by that type of business they wanted distributors in different countries, so like you guys I am not sure what is going on. The photos with ITUO brand name on gearbest don't appear to be ITUO photos as ITUO website photos are different! Also the WIZ1 has an incredible RETAIL PRICE on Gearbest, not in line with ITUO RP. All very strange!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Dealsmachine also has beam-shots that appear to be from Sykraider 59 and similar pricing too (no surprise).
    Mole
    yes you are right, all lifted from my review, I had a look , they are hosted now their website, so even If i did put a kind of watermark or © that would be too late.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a neighbor kid I see riding in the dark and want to give him an older well functioning 300L commuter light. That would give me a good reason to grab this wiz20 from gearbest. It seems pretty legit but I've only used gb once and was pretty satisfied with service. anybody pulled the trigger?

RAKC
    Gearbest doesn't have them and as I understand it won't be able to neither.

Best to order from ituo directly if you want the light.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Gearbest doesn't have them and as I understand it won't be able to neither.

Best to order from ituo directly if you want the light.

Are you sure, tigris?
    Ituo Wiz20 Cree XM - L2 1500Lm Rechargeable LED Bike Light-69.66 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

RAKC
    100%. This is my thread reviewing for ituo . So I talk directly to them. They know about it as well but china is on Holiday, waiting to see the final outcome (at best prices will go up to proper if GB is allowed to carry them at all)

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I have faith in you, tigris. But either ITUO or GB is lying. Simple as that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire View Post
    I have faith in you, tigris. But either ITUO or GB is lying. Simple as that.
    Well, if I had to put money on it I'd bet that it was GBest doing the lying...But...
    It's also quite possible that this is a case of, "Right hand not knowing what the Left hand is doing". If true than no one is really lying and the people who are suppose to know really don't know or just know what someone else is telling them is suppose to be true... ( does that make sense? )

I guess what this boils down to is, "We really don't know if GB has the lamps or not BECAUSE"...."We don't know if we can trust what the Chinese distributors are telling us".

The only way we're going to know for sure is if someone ( on forum ) pulls the trigger on one of these ( from Gearbest ) and posts up when ( or if ) they get the product in their hand. While I might like to have one of these lamps it's not gonna be me. I'm still smelling the stink of my last GB transaction.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    $10 off a $100 order email coupon from the controversial Gearbest. Now the decision to order the wiz20 is getting more difficult. With some panasonics and a few odds and ends this would make a crazy good deal. If it wasn't for the nw emitters i would not even consider this light. I'm on the fence but falling to the dark side....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Road View Post
    $10 off a $100 order email coupon from the controversial Gearbest. Now the decision to order the wiz20 is getting more difficult. With some panasonics and a few odds and ends this would make a crazy good deal. If it wasn't for the nw emitters i would not even consider this light. I'm on the fence but falling to the dark side....
    Well if you go with Gearbest I'll be rooting for your success. Be smart though, use Paypal and use a dedicated courier like DHL if you can. Take a picture of the ad for your records and if something happens don't be afraid to reference this forum if you have any problems with Paypal or GB. Cover as many bases as you can before ordering. I'd even recommend getting in contact with GB customer service FIRST just to confirm that they indeed have the item in stock. If they say they have the item in stock, second step, tell them to send you an email indicating that they have the item in stock BEFORE YOU ORDER, then save the email.....Okay, time to go for it, let's rock..

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Thx for the pointers, but my lbs has built my new bike today. So I'm out of the running. Cash strapped for a bit. My take on this situation is kinda like when Wally World is going to carry some product. They get the price they want. The manufacturer will make profit on sheer volume. And hopefully not cutting corners which is kinda inevitable. Negotiate at a street market. Or Hong Kong stock exchange....cutthroat pricing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Received a reply from the folks at Gearbest if they physically had this light in stock...." Hi, it is not in stock temporarily.

mtbr member
    Received a reply from the folks at Gearbest if they physically had this light in stock...." Hi, it is not in stock temporarily.
    I am trying so, so hard not to laugh.......If I bite my tongue any harder I won't be able to talk tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    ITUO doesn't do business with Gearbest, fastech etc. And we also don't allow our distributors/dealers to sell to them. They just list our products on their website.
    And we don't provide guarantee or any services on those products purchase from them.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nathan89 View Post
    Sorry if it's already been mentioned, I searched the thread and found no mention but now the ITUO lights are on Gearbest, for decent prices.

I have just received an Email from my contact in Ituo, who is confirming That Ituo DO NOT SUPPLY Gearbest or Fastech or any other websites like them. Gearbest and others are just trying it on in the hope of getting orders. So this confirm also what Tigris did tell us and what I have heard in the past from Ituo. They looking to establish their business via Distributors in various countries which can look after Ituo customers. So they will not sale via Chinese websites like Gearbest.

RAKC
    OK received the updated/finished version today.

Wasn't really much to change besides the rear cover, they completely did away with the latch. Instead they went with a rotating lock on the rear cover. VERY NICE work on it too.

Rotates 90deg to unlock and cover comes off to access cells (got cells with this one). Nice and secure, clean and quality finish. Was rather surprised to see their fix for the issue. So much better.

Also, they will be offering wider pattern optics. 25deg and 45deg. The 25 deg is a bit different looking than you would expect for a beam. The tight spot is still hidden in the middle but a very smooth transition going out to the edge. Same as the ones I've gotten from fasttech/leddna. Beam is squared out as well (think GW x2/xs optics).

I'll get some beam shots tomorrow night if rain stays away. Hopefully able to see differences between optics on pics. It's pretty subtle unless you have 2 lights side by side or a similar light on the 10deg optics. Then you really notice it.

Oh and one other surprise I didn't expect, very professional, cleanly translated instructions. Little booklet. Much easier to sort out messing with the light programming and such.

Also, Ituo is in the US now.
    www.ItouLights.com

new wiz20s are supposed to be coming in or in stock. Another nice thing about Ituo is the US location is providing service and support so no waiting forever for warranty matters. I was told they will be stocking everything:

Lights
    Batteries
    Optics
    Parts
    And the QR gopro handlebar mount we've been bugging them for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Sounds like Ituo has a solid plan with having US dealer. The light itself seems far above the big brand commuter light offerings. Definitely on my radar. Curious about the tint and what you would compare it to Tigress?

RAKC
    It's the same as most neutral white lights. 3C 4750-5000k tint.

Way I understand it, it's far more than a dealer, it's actually a branch of Ituo. Dealers can't provide full support. ItouLights is set up to make repairs to lights, everything.

Pretty nice deal I think.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Like the the new redesigned rear battery door, no chance of coming undone, saying this I have been using my early review sample WIZ20 with the top release lever daily and have not experienced any problems.
    Regarding the new optics. Is that a standard smooth finish optic with a wide angle lens in front of it, or are they wide angle optics? Also would be interested to know if the new optic/lens style does reduce the OF output slightly in comparison to their earlier sample with plain smooth optics. looking forward to see your beam shots.

RAKC
    I have my first version too. I modded mine cause the clip broke and dumped the cells. Now a screw and aluminum clip work good.

New optics are just textured on the front. Nothing different besides that vs the 10 deg optics. Their not wide angle in the sense most think, these are wide spot (25 and 45 deg). Same white holders and everything.

Optics loss increased by only about 20 lumens vs 10deg optics. So very little and impossible to notice. Well unless your one of those that doesn't understand how wider beam pattern effects perceived brightness.

Going to take the new one out from a ride tonight in the fatty.

These are definitely NOT JUST COMMUTER LIGHTS. I use my original one more than any other for a bar light when I go to my trails a few minutes away. Trails further away I bring light that uses pack just for the extra run time. And being they put out almost as much light as a GW X2, more then plenty for a bar light.

RAKC
    OK couple pics from tonight. These are with the 45deg optic. I like this set up for the bars. Spreads the light out nice and even. Spent most of my ride on medium.

One side note, seems they fixed PWM, I wasn't seeing it like I did in the prototype with camera or git2 action cam!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Yes, PWM fixed.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

RAKC
    OK had to share what I saw a bit ago.

Seems Ituo is lowering their prices. Not sure for how long or anything but the wiz20, batteries and all for $100. For those that may be on the fence, here you go. If i didn't have the new version already Id jump on this. Me and my "addiction" lol. If I find out anything about all of it I'll post up.

https://www.ituolights.com/products/wiz20

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Dang, that's a great price. $100 is less than I paid for a 800l big brand with the cool blue emmitter. Too good to pass up, thx Tigress. My bank acct hates you, lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Tigress did you get a chance to check out the cells offered with the wiz20? Any info is good cause my wiz20 is in the mail. In hindsight I should have just gotten the light minus batteries. But if they are quality cells, all good! Thx

mtbr member
    Tigress did you get a chance to check out the cells offered with the wiz20? Any info is good cause my wiz20 is in the mail. In hindsight I should have just gotten the light minus batteries. But if they are quality cells, all good! Thx
    Thanks for asking about the battery quality. If I didn't have a $7 paypal balance I probably would have ordered the day you did (have to wait till Monday for bank transfer to clear). Battery decision pending the answer you get from Tigress. Will be able to dump my TAZ 1500 (worst light purchase I ever made).
    Mole

RAKC
    Sorry, been sick so didn't get as far as the batteries.

Yeap I got cells this time.

And I accidently got to do capacity test lol. After my ride (that the pic is from) I threw the light in my bag....it got turned on and I didn't realize it. So figured I'd charge via my good charger and find out.

I charged in parallel on it( set ups for Li-Ion balancing right now) I got 6254 mah, so 3127mah per cell. Lumen output was consistent with using any of my other cells including my 3200mah LG cells (which I think these may be based on performance)

Last edited by tigris99; 03-31-2016 at 11:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi Dirt Road,

ITUO only makes high quality products. So the batteries are also high quality. The battereis for wiz20 we use are panasonic 3200mAh cells, protected. Thanks.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

RAKC
    Oh, panasonic, didnt see that coming! Nice, saves me having to pull the wrap off one lol.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Very good. Approved! 👍

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ITUO Manufacturer View Post
    Hi Dirt Road,

ITUO only makes high quality products. So the batteries are also high quality. The battereis for wiz20 we use are panasonic 3200mAh cells, protected. Thanks.
    Glad to here this is important to you. I Plan on ordering a wiz20 as soon as my bank transfer hits my PayPal account. I'm also very interested in your upcoming mountain bike lights. Any idea how long before they are released for sale?
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi MRMOLE,

Thanks for your support. We will send out samples of Wiz-XP2 for review about in the middle of April and first batch to be available around late of April or early of May. Then next coming is XP4, then XP3.
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Could I use unprotected LG 3500mAh MJ1 flat top batteries in this light?

Also, could I use this light as a charger to charge a single 18650?

RAKC
    No and no.

The light has no protection for voltage either direction, it's designed for being used with protected cells only. It's literally optimized for the length of button top protected to minimize resistance across the springs.

Also this light is set up for 8.4v, not 4.2v. The USB charger circuit is stepped up to 8.4v (done in the light) So a single cell is not useable at all in these. WIZ 2 is the light that will use and charge a single 18650 cell, but again, protected cells only.

I know there are people that will not like the "protected only" but too many people are careless with Li-Ion cells. So i understand Ituo's stance on the matter (yeap even I had to ask about it cause I use unprotected cells for alot of stuff) Saw a video on the news a few weeks ago of a guy that had a modded ecig that the Li-Ion cell (was inside the ecig) went critical in his pocket.

Now that I clarified that, you "can" use a pair of unprotected cells, no guarantees on performance as my prototype only had the springs at the driver and brass buttons on the rear cover. New version has springs at both ends. But flat top will likely still have issues with flickering in rought stuff. I could be wrong and at some point I'll try it out. But in version one that was definitely a NO GO due to flickering when it got bumpy. BUT, and I STRESS THIS POINT: be very cautious to make sure you don't over discharge and not advised to charge the cells in it unless your going to sit there the entire time. As I said, system is specifically designed to rely on cell protection circuits.

RAKC
    Ok I know I'm going to catch flack for this. And honestly I probably am going to have a huge issue with that much weight.

But since I have the prototype and the new production version, I'm going to try one on the helmet. Some people like full self contained on the lid. And it has its appeal.

So for the "sake of science" and against my preferences, I'm going to tweak a Vanc gopro adapter to mount on my prototype and put 10deg optics back in it. Then run new version on the 45s it has now on the bars. This way I can give my observations of having all the weight up high versus 2 cell on the back and light head up top/front.

See how this goes.

Initial observations though: definitely feel the weight that high up. Have to snug my helmet a bit to keep it stable.

Now since there has been requests for helmet use. I wonder if we can convince Ituo to make something better than what I have going on. Those that use self contained (aka flashlights) may be OK with this on the lid if it wasn't up on a gopro mount set up. Of course you loose adjustability so there's a catch there. Weight higher up or being able to easily adjust the angle of the light.

Last edited by tigris99; 04-03-2016 at 01:50 PM.

mtbr member

Order placed

OK, wheels are in motion, I just placed my Wiz20 order. With all that heat-sink surface area I anticipate this should be a very good light for the hot climate I ride in.

Tigress99
    - I see Ituo has added some product availability dates on the website, any teaser information on the XP series would be appreciated too!! Also I have a Bell Super who's GoPro mount looks like it may lower the mounting height over the picture you posted. Like you this wouldn't be my first choice for helmet duty but I'll at least post a picture.
    "New Light", my Fatbikes are so excited (my other bikes would be too if I rode them anymore).
    Mole

RAKC
    All I know so far is to expect a sample for review in couple weeks. Not sure if they'll be ready to sell at that point or not, well see. Seems samples go out a bit before product is ready to go. Maybe this time theyll be ready close to the same time.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    My WIZ20 was delivered. Excellent service by Keith at Ituo. Gonna put it on my cross/gravel bike. Excited to try it out, but I'm about 7 states away from home.
    Give us a complete review MRMOLE!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    .......definitely feel the weight that high up. Have to snug my helmet a bit to keep it stable.

Now since there has been requests for helmet use. I wonder if we can convince Ituo to make something better than what I have going on. Those that use self contained (aka flashlights) may be OK with this on the lid if it wasn't up on a gopro mount set up. Of course you loose adjustability so there's a catch there. Weight higher up or being able to easily adjust the angle of the light.
    The non-finned version of my LoPro adapter would drop the height by 1/4" or so. Might not improve it much, but couldn't hurt.

RAKC
    Thanks Vanc, didnt even think about grabbing that one. Every little bit helps for where that weight sits.

mtbr member
    USPS tracking shows delivery of my Wiz20 Thursday 4/7. Good timing as our weather will be changing Friday with possible rain. 90° expected Thursday though so should be great evening/night temps. and hope to get at least a couple of hours on the light. Enough time for initial Wiz20 vs. Taz 1500 comparison and if weather is bad for the weekend I'll get some indoor tests in (bounce, center beam and thermal). Be waiting for the Postman so I can get the batteries full charged in time.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Sure is nice not waiting a month for shipping. Getting spoiled between Ituo and Action. Looking forward to your review MRMOLE.

mtbr member
    Sure is nice not waiting a month for shipping. Getting spoiled between Ituo and Action. Looking forward to your review MRMOLE.
    If there's anything in particular you have questions on let me know and I'll try to focus on that some during my first ride. Otherwise it's just gonna be a basic first impression and comparison to my current self-contained light it will be replacing.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Any additional info on optics would be great! Wiz20 runtime, quality, mounting hardware.
    Definitely interested in seeing how this light stacks up against another self contained brand!

mtbr member
    Any additional info on optics would be great! Wiz20 runtime, quality, mounting hardware.
    Definitely interested in seeing how this light stacks up against another self contained brand!
    If everything goes as planned I'll definitely evaluate the mounting system and have a comparison to my universally liked Taz 1500. Runtimes to follow (Tigress99 already published an very nice graph on this) + thermal tests. I have some of the optional 25° optics coming with the light and am going to see if my Gloworm optics can be fitted (will do bounce and center beam tests). Field testing the optics will take a while as I like to try them in different areas. Look forward to your impressions of the Wiz20 too!
    Mole

RAKC
    Mole, I tried the GW optics, it's a no go. Face plate won't sit correctly.

Dirt, I did post all of that in the beginning of this thread. The graph is shown in minutes so you get run time and all that (though my cells weren't Ituo, I didn't have those I used my own in original review). Also videos showing everything as well for stock optics.

Im definitely anxious to get Moles feedback as well. I compared this against my Fenix bc30r, and this blows Fenix lights AWAY!!! Mole having more high quality lights to compare against will give a better comparison than mine though.

RAKC
    Ok Mole, patiently waiting

mtbr member
    Ok Mole, patiently waiting

Sorry this took so long, I had some internet related problems that prevented me from accessing this thread.

The Wiz20 looks are striking (IMO)! Everything is well finished metal and exibits a look of quality that Ituo should be proud of (had to say this cause it really stood out the first time I handled the light). Unfortunately a later than usual postal delivery, longer than anticipated changing time, and an earlier than predicted storm arrival prevented me from getting to test the light on an actual ride. I did run some bounce-test / center-beam numbers and included my GW X2 and Taz 1500 for comparison.

Lux...................bounce test,,,,...,,,center-beam (x 100)

Wiz20....................170...................... .....51.1

Taz1500................136.4...................... ...31.2

GW X2..................190.9......................... .65.9
    (2 spot optics)

***** Bounce-tests always favor a narrower beam (my guess is that the Taz 1500 and Wiz20 produce about the same power in lumins, the Taz has a much wider but less intense beam).

More later!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good start! hope the weather is suitable for a ride report! Here in Indy rain/snow mix. Enuff already!

RAKC
    Same here dirt. Was mix then looked like a blizzard for a while today. Obviously too warm to stick (I'm West of you) but swear mother nature went bi-polar on us.

mtbr member
    Well we still have less than perfect weather here but I did manage to get a few miles of use with the Wiz20 tonight. UI is pretty much second nature to me having owned Gloworms for a while. The QR mount does what it's supposed to and attaches the light very securely. A secure light helps make the top mounted mode button so easy to use I just had to tap it with my gloved index finger (Wow). I took my Taz 1500 along for comparison and the Wiz20 just blows it away in the ease of use items I just mentioned. Beam patterns aren't comparable. The Taz is very floody and the Wiz is much more of a spot pattern, lots more throw but still wide enough for the paved canal banks I rode tonight. I think the main point here is that you can change optics on the Ituo light and adjust to your preference. At this point I think I need some more time on the light to more closely evaluate its performance but so far I'm pretty happy.
    Mole

Tigress99 - What problems did you have when trying to use the Gloworm optics? I have a couple of unused white outer shells and my GW spots snapped right into them. I don't have the proper tool to take the face plate off but it looks like the outer shell would be the points of contact. Is there some sort of surprise under the face plate?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Sounds like the wiz20 is going to be a good road/rail trail light. Just what I was after. Hows the tint on the wiz20 and what light if any compares? Thx!

RAKC
    Mole:

I just went back and checked, the original I was having issues with the holes for the optics being machined exceptionally tight to the white holders. THe GW optics fit the holders but they spread the locking tabs just slightly and wouldnt allow the faceplate to tighten properly. I just tried it against the newest one, and you have to tighten the screws up pretty darn good to get the face plate to seat down fully, but GW optics fit in it. The original I was afraid of stripping the screws or snapping them off if I tightened any hard. New version has a bit more wiggle room.

DIrt,

Heres my help on that: been using the light A LOT since the start of this thread. Has been my go to bar light when im in a hurry or when its been really cold out. Tint is the same as most NW lights we've messed with around here. Ive sid it earlier but I have no problem saying it again: may not be the brightest or a "fit all" beam pattern (thank goodness for easily available optics) but its solid. Fat bike on trails, through snow, rain mud and on my trail bike getting the snot beat outta it. the original still runs like brand new. the newest versions are literally IDENTICAL inside. ONLY difference to the 2 lights is the rear cover design and the PWM frequency correction.

At least in my opinion, I think youll love yours once you get to use it. Just remember its not cool white so its not going to be what you may be used to.

RAKC
    Ok so was checking to see if there was updates on the XP series. I'll be getting a XP2 for review in a couple weeks or so. As long as there is no issues they should be available shortly after.

There's this though:
    https://www.ituolights.com/products/...8650-batteries

cool white version of the wiz20. That's new. I'm not a CW person but I know plenty here are so I thought I'd share it. Ituo was against CW versions of their lights but seems they are giving it try.

mtbr member
    Got caught in the rain today so the Wiz20 got a 10 mi. drizzle to down-pour water-tight test, PASS. No issues and not surprising after taking the bezel off last night (to change optics) and seeing how well it is sealed. Good seals, kind of a PITA to reassemble though.

Previously mentioned rain also has kept me inside this afternoon giving me time to do some thermal testing. Very cool running light. After 10 min. in 77° ambient temp. room it only went up to 106° (Yinding hit 119° after 2 min.) (no airflow on max. intensity setting, both lights). After 15 min. (high setting again) in front of a 10 in. fan - 96.5°case temp. Wiz20 also cools quickly so it appears the thermal path is good.
    A+ on the thermal test.

(Optics note): Got the Gloworm optics to fit. When putting them in the white optic holders you need to make sure the retention tabs are pushed back into original position or filed down a little (still a tight fit as Tigress99 mentioned). GW spots only provided a 1% advantage over the stock optics on my light-meter so not worth the expense IMO for this light. Havn't ridden with them though and pretty sure I'll like the GW wide-angles (elliptical) better than the symmetric wide-angle accessory ones. Optics take time to evaluate.

Still getting to know the Wiz20 and everything looks great so far!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    For those who prefer cool white, the wiz20 CW version (limited quantity) is available at ITUO USA (www.ituolights.com)

Here is the link:
    https://www.ituolights.com/products/...8650-batteries
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Looks like Friday, I'll be hitting the local canal path. Do an unscientific light throw down to see if the wiz20 is the light I think it is! Waitin on yr optics report mole. Cool that Ituo is offering a cool white version.

mtbr member
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-004.jpg

Tried something new with the light last night (dual GW wide-angle optics). 41 mi. total, 30 with lights on, mostly canal banks with a few trail mi. (twisty, rocky, relatively flat), no helmet light, Taz1500 along to compare. Taz had more light around the front wheel and a little wider beam both of which were of far less advantage than the additional throw the Wiz20 still had (over 10% center-beam test on my lux-meter). On the canal set up this way the Wiz20 had comfortable throw but I was on the Mukluk (cruise speed around 15 mph) so it may not be enough for a faster mtn. or road bike. What I was most happy about is that I had no problems with battery life on this ride. This is what I would call a typical ride for me and the power indicator was still blue when I got home using a mix of low (50%), med (80%), and some high (100%). Love the light so far, looking forward to trying one of Ituo's mtn. lights when they release them.
    Mole

RAKC
    Nice test Mole. Seems just that GW optics don't spread as wide as the Taz which would explain the better throw as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    41 miles on a fatbike? Nice job MRMOLE. Great info on the wiz20! Optics info top notch.

mtbr member
    Nice test Mole. Seems just that GW optics don't spread as wide as the Taz which would explain the better throw as well.

User Review: ITUO Wiz20-001.jpg

As you can see the Taz has more than one beam pattern. Extra light around the front tire and a wider beam are easily understandable looking at the bottom emitter but I would have though the 2 upper ones would have provided more distance punch than the GW Elliptical optic equipped Wiz20. Normally I'd ride with a helmet light too which would make the difference in throw between the two lights less important, I was just trying to describe the difference in the two light's beam pattern. Haven't yet found an area where the Wiz20 hasn't performed better for me than the Taz which says a lot considering how well though of the Taz 1500 is by other reviewers and owners.
    Mole

mtbr member
    41 miles on a fatbike? Nice job MRMOLE. Great info on the wiz20! Optics info top notch.
    Thanks! I still have the symetrical 25° optics I got off the Ituo website when I ordered the Wiz20 to try and I'd like to actually do a ride with the GW spots. Even though the light-meter #'s are almost identical to the stock spot optics in the past with other lights the GW spots had a slightly wider beam (especially right off the front of the light) which I would probably prefer.
    Mole

mtbr member

25° optics??????

User Review: ITUO Wiz20-002.jpg

First thoughts when I saw the heavily textured optic surface was that I'm probably not going to like these. Usually this type of optic spreads light excessively diminishing throw and light intensity and are not worth these trade-offs for a wider beam. Not this time!

Ride (24mi., 50/50 dirt/pavement) impressions: Beam narrower than expected. Actually a very nice width for this type of light but probably closer to 15° than 25° IMO. Throw also a surprise as in seemed very good. Next surprise - light-meter testing. As with the Gloworm spot this optic produced slightly better lux #'s in both the bounce test and center-beam measurement (retested with same results). A 25° optic shouldn't have better lux #'s than a 10° in these tests. This is the best optic I've tried in this light and the one I'll probably end up using in the Wiz20.
    Mole

mtbr member

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	131.4 KB 
ID:	1064063

...This is the best optic I've tried in this light and the one I'll probably end up using in the Wiz20.
    Mole
    Interesting. This dimpled ( textured ) optic, was this the optic that came standard in the Wiz20 or did you have to buy this extra? I'm thinking it would be interesting to see how this 25° optic would work in other lamps. Anyway I'm thinking that the dimples just add a bit more spill similar to what a textured reflector does to a torch. That would help explain why it doesn't necessarily kill the throw.

Looks like the Wiz 20 is going to cover a lot of bases. Self-contained, very good quality, programmable UI, neutral emitters, road/MTB usable and lastly all at a decent price. Kudos to the ITUO people. I'm still looking forward to the ITUO triple Mountain bike lamp.

RAKC
    I was looking at the difference in the optics and seems the center is identical so the spot itself before hitting the texture is the same. Then the texture to me seems to create a similar beam to the glowworm spot optics. That more square looking pattern.

Mole I have to agree they don't look like 25deg, more somewhere close to 15. I have some 45s too I'll test against other optics. And I have some 60s on the the way. I know I like the 45s myself for trail use and I have enough dual emitter lights I can try each set side by side.

Cat, the optics are purchased separately, the light still comes with 10deg spot optics. Things may change down the line cause as we know, Ituo pays close attention to MTBR and what we post. So if enough people prefer the bit bigger beam, I'm betting they'll change them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Nice work on the wiz20 Mole. I rolled my ankle so no bike for me tonight. Well at least I get to play with my new light with a cold beer and an ice pack on the porch. Maybe I'll test out the strobe mode on passing traffic! Looks like you found a good optics setup!

mtbr member
    QUOTE=Cat-man-do;12582810]Interesting. This dimpled ( textured ) optic, was this the optic that came standard in the Wiz20 or did you have to buy this extra? I'm thinking it would be interesting to see how this 25° optic would work in other lamps. Anyway I'm thinking that the dimples just add a bit more spill similar to what a textured reflector does to a torch. That would help explain why it doesn't necessarily kill the throw.

User Review: ITUO Wiz20-001.jpg

Here's the optics that came stock in the Wiz20. Looks like the LEDDNA 10° that a lot of people have been using in the Yinding & BT21. Throw (center-beam) lux #'s were a little higher with the dimpled optic.
    Mole

***Yes, they were extra***

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Well had a chance to unbox my new Wiz20. I have to say, Tigress and MRMOLE are not exaggerating! This is a nicely built light. First impressions are very positive.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Can this be bought in Europe? The address is locked on US. I also tried with PayPal, but the checkout procedure is also for US address.

mtbr member
    Nice work on the wiz20 Mole. I rolled my ankle so no bike for me tonight. Well at least I get to play with my new light with a cold beer and an ice pack on the porch. Maybe I'll test out the strobe mode on passing traffic! Looks like you found a good optics setup!
    Well how's the ankle? Things like injury's and work can get in the way when trying to find the time to do a light evaluation. Hope your feeling better so you can share some of your impressions of your new toy (Wiz20). I've been using mine with the 25° optics and it's working perfect for my needs. Unlike all my other self-contained lights it's soooo nice to not have to worry about runtime!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ionutph View Post
    Can this be bought in Europe? The address is locked on US. I also tried with PayPal, but the checkout procedure is also for US address.
    You can contact UK dealer:
    Bright Bike Lights | Lights for Mountain Biking, Running and Orienteering
    [email protected]
    Regards,

ITUO Team
    www.ituoworld.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dealer in the UK Is BrightBikeLights.com, but I can see that Ituo have replied already :-)

mtbr member
    . ...Unlike all my other self-contained lights it's soooo nice to not have to worry about runtime!
    Mole
    MRM, are you finding that the Wiz20 is better for handling the Arizona heat?

I would think with the bigger size of the lamp that the heat build-up would be more readily dissipated. (?)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    MRM, are you finding that the Wiz20 is better for handling the Arizona heat?

I would think with the bigger size of the lamp that the heat build-up would be more readily dissipated. (?)
    My impression so far is that the Wiz20 is far better at dissipating heat than any other light I've ever owned. While it won't be long before I can tell you how it handles 100° ride temps. at the moment 85° is about the highest I've used the Wiz20 in. Here's a couple of notable examples of how it performs: 1) The last couple of miles of the trail section of last nights ride I did with a group of about 10 riders so the speeds were a little higher than normal for me (approx. 10 mph). When we got to the trailhead we stopped and I removed my glove and grabbed the light (was set @ 80% power, estimated 80°). I wouldn't even describe it as warm, more like barely any detectable temp. 2) Last week I did a no airflow test (77° ambient) and my infrared thermometer only indicated 106° case temp. after 10 min. (most of my lights reach 150° case temp. and activate their thermal protection modes around 5 min.). My guess is the Wiz20 is going to handle AZ. summers just fine.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'm sooo jonesin to ride with my wiz20. Still hobbling around. Definitely seems to have good throw with stock optics. Don't know if the flood is sufficient for my application yet. Definitely have my eye on Ituo 25deg optics. I gotta try changing my bt21 optics as a warmup. I won't be as broken-hearted if it goes badly. I'll still be pissed, love my bt21!

RAKC
    Sorry about the ankle man, been down that rode many times. Only time it's kept me off the bike is if I couldn't hobble to it without a lot of pain . kept me off trails plenty, but I've "sucked it up" just to get a short ride in. Sometimes it actually helped. Other times my wife threatened to sell my bikes if I tried it again before I was healed.

Only you can know, but you'd be surprised at how much a little cruise might do for you.

RAKC
    As promised, video segment from last weekend. Dont mind the noise. I knew my rear brake was rubbing, couldnt figure out why till I got back to the trail head. My 29er sat all winter and one piston was sticking on the rear. THe one thing I didnt think to check before taking out. Once i figured it out was an easy fix but not easy to find off a helmet light and nothing else.

Wiz20 on the 25deg optics on the bars and my XS on the lid

mtbr member
    I have read this thread with great interest. I am currently considering purchasing a Volt 1600 for commuting but this Wiz20 has caught my attention.

Putting value for money aside, can anyone compare it's output, throw, beam pattern, build quality and general usability with the volt 1600? In one video I saw, the wiz20 battery cover appears to be easy to pop open, almost too easy, is it secure ?

RAKC
    The video you saw as the prototype version. A few weeks ago I posted pics of the new version. NO WAY that it's coming open randomly now. It was one of the changes we reviewers pointed out. Instead of that little latch it has a twist lock where the handle locks into the back cover. You pop it out then have to twist it to release the back cover. It's basically a solid twist lock with a redundancy of the little handle locking into the rear cover.

Pretty sweet set up now for that.

Wiz20 does one thing most lights like it can't, you can choose your beam pattern by simply changing optics. The US location will change them for free at time of order as well.

Based on what I've done and Mole has very happily pointed out, the wide spot optic is a great mix of good throw while having the spill needed to see in close.

As for output, wiz20 is neutral white vs I know the volt is cool white. So easier on everyone's eyes and can see color and detail around you better. Lumens are going to be fairly close. Within 100 lumens I would guess which you'd never be able to see the difference in use.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll order one once I can find a dealer where I live.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Great Video Tigris, what camera are you using?

RAKC
    My Gitup git2 I think, lol. Otherwise my git1. But since video is pretty stable and light is a little more yellow than it should be, gonna say git2.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Great video Tigress. Demonstrates perfectly why I prefer neutral tint lights.
    Gonna hit my local path tonight with the wiz20 on my bars. Ankle is good to go now!
    Had an opportunity to ride a path next to the mighty Mississippi River last Sunday but
    Decided against it. Old age=slow heal.

mtbr member
    Great video Tigress. Demonstrates perfectly why I prefer neutral tint lights.
    Gonna hit my local path tonight with the wiz20 on my bars. Ankle is good to go now!
    Had an opportunity to ride a path next to the mighty Mississippi River last Sunday but
    Decided against it. Old age=slow heal.
    Glad to hear you're on the mend. Enjoy your ride tonight!!!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Interesting. This dimpled ( textured ) optic, was this the optic that came standard in the Wiz20 or did you have to buy this extra? I'm thinking it would be interesting to see how this 25° optic would work in other lamps. Anyway I'm thinking that the dimples just add a bit more spill similar to what a textured reflector does to a torch. That would help explain why it doesn't necessarily kill the throw.
    Hey Cat,
    Tried the Ituo 25° (white optic holder removed) in my Yinding and GW X2 last night. Bounce test and center-beam results were slightly better than the 10° optics I got from action (so close I'd call it a tie) with a little wider beam. GW XS spot optic still best results by about 5% (3X the cost though).
    Mole

RAKC
    So I decided to try some of the 60° optics for commuting this week. Like having a low beam car headlight now, just without the cutoff. Think I just found my new bar light use optics for this thing.

Playing with it more, I found d I can tone down my helmet light output too. Somewhere around 1800 on the XS (instead of its full blast just under 2500) and balance is nice and smooth where I like it.

Wish glowworm would make a good flood optic for just a big smooth spot or taller vertical wide angle. Too narrow for my liking.

One thing I'm loving about Ituo, so versatile with optics. Can't wait for the XP series as they'll have remotes, then I'll have my perfect trail lights.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]

Wish glowworm would make a good flood optic for just a big smooth spot or taller vertical wide angle. Too narrow for my liking.
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-002.jpg

Think "X-Beam". I haven't tried this in real life but it looks like it will give you the ability to heighten the beam some. Wall shots give an almost square beam the way the example is setup.

One thing I'm loving about Ituo, so versatile with optics. Can't wait for the XP series as they'll have remotes, then I'll have my perfect trail lights.
    So no XP2 prototype yet? Happy to hear they will have remotes! Any other details about the light or an ETA of when you might get one?
    Mole

RAKC
    Well the remote thing I'm going off the xp3 thread. So I figure they will.

Be a couple weeks yet last I knew a couple tweaks were made before starting first run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Posting pics is way advanced. Love the Wiz20. Throws like a beast.... Needs more flood. Is there PWM evident? I can hear it in low modes. In turbo, no self contained light i have seen will come close. Tint is best like the bt21/bt40. Panasonic cells/ usb/ .optics/ and quality. Waiting on the h2 triple light from Ituo!

RAKC
    Pwm is not visible even on cameras with the new versions.

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...m-spot-pattern

https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...m-spot-pattern

They offer other optics to widen up the beam just because stock it's more like a helmet light but some ppl prefer it.

Last edited by tigris99; 04-30-2016 at 08:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Posting pics is way advanced. Love the Wiz20. Throws like a beast.... Needs more flood. Is there PWM evident? I can hear it in low modes. In turbo, no self contained light i have seen will come close. Tint is best like the bt21/bt40. Panasonic cells/ usb/ .optics/ and quality. Waiting on the h2 triple light from Ituo!
    Hey Dirt Road,
    It hasn't been too long since I got my Wiz20 and got to use it for the first time. You read all the good reviews but until you see the light and get to use is it really doesn't prepare you for how nice (awesome) this light is. I'm smiling (vicariously) along with you. No buyers remorse here!!!.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Seems Ituo is now on Amazon! I myself like my wiz20 a lot. Gonna tweak the optics (25d)
    For more flood. Very high quality with a lot of versitility thrown in. I love the fact of no proprietary batteries for extended run times and optics changes. $99 bucks helps too!!

mtbr member

Not so good things about the Wiz20

No horizontal aim adjustability. That's it, but something that should be addressed (IMO). Not a problem for most bikes but I do have one that the bars taper back quickly and with the wide mounting area of the Ituo clamp it makes the beam go off-center a little. Some might say it weighs too much (285 gm/light and mount) but I find it hard to criticize over engineering that results is very low operating temperatures. This is after all a commuter light not a performance light even though it acts like one in a lot of ways (almost every way).
    Mole

RAKC
    For the sake of discussion:

I use pretty average bars so haven't experienced that EXCEPT on my mukluk which I have very little room to work with so I have to make sure my mount is up against my stem. Maybe in the future it could be implemented for those that need it. But I think cost would go up.

The weight thing, I used to look at that as well till I actually weighed a battery pack. A 4 cell battery pack weighs as much as this light does. And doesn't count the weight of whatever light head your using the pack for. Heck a 2 cell in a Fenix case is 150g in itself, add the light head and mount of a X2 and your well over 200g already. XS and 4 cell pack your in the 350g range.

So IMHO the weight is right in line with everything else that's out there. It's just whether you want the weight all in one or spread out (and more often than not increased weight). That's why I won't compare weights between self contained and light heads only. Have to compare light head with pack against a self contained unit and ALSO compare outputs since more lumens means bigger light head requirements (or more heat issues).

Now move from bars to helmet mounting and that's where the weight would be an issue for some. All the weight is up top. I can't even ride for long on pavement like that, just can't get used to it. But that's on a gopro adapter. It could be possible with a simple direct mount without the gopro style pivot but then would get a ton of people complaining that it's not adjustable enough. If you go gopro style then a bunch complaining weight is too high. Run into a "can't win and too much negative feedback" problem that way. Personally I'm always set and forget. I don't need to adjust once I'm set. Helmet light pointing slightly ahead of where I'm looking, bar light covering between front wheel and the edge of the helmet light.

Now put this up against other self contained lights, now only one light I've seen can run with this, the new gloworm CX lights. For alot higher cost to match output. Fenix and the others can't do it, don't come close. Heavy, low output, programming and so on, all insanely poor in comparison.

mtbr member
    May 2005

No horizontal aim adjustability. That's it, but something that should be addressed (IMO). Not a problem for most bikes but I do have one that the bars taper back quickly and with the wide mounting area of the Ituo clamp it makes the beam go off-center a little.
    Mount one of my GoPro adapters (if possible. I have not seen a Wiz20 yet) and use one of my swivel GoPro style mounts.

RAKC
    Requires custom mount for these, not a single screw system. 3 small torx screws holding the slide mount bracket to the light head.

Remember that's what I did was use one of your mounts, but had to get specific screws and drill extra holes to make it work.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was pretty sure you had done one, but didn't remember the details.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    User Review: ITUO Wiz20-image.jpg
    Bar extender from the Gearbest website and my wiz20. Helps any cable clearing issues $11.99. Wont work on any bar bigger than 31.8mm, no worky on my cx bike.

RAKC
    I have one of those extenders except only one clamp, saw no need for the dual clamp version at the time. Their great for many things.

Getting rather annoyed, the one weekend the weather was perfect to ride (last weekend) and trails were all open, I get hosed out of it again. Hopefully some trails are open this weekend.

mtbr member
    Was 104° here today so tonight's ride involved some higher ride temperatures (90-95° est.). Ran the Wiz20 on highest setting for a couple of miles straight and then slowed down to 7-8 mph for another mile, stopped and checked the light, only warm. I've probably got another 15° before I see my highest ride temps. of the summer but it's starting to look like I'm just not going to be able to find a way to make this light overheat!
    Mole

RAKC
    I know there's a way to get then rather warm. On high for quite a while but not moving, no air flow.

Even then though I haven't been able to get it hot enough I couldn't pick it up (wouldn't want to hold onto it for long though)

mtbr member
    I know there's a way to get then rather warm. On high for quite a while but not moving, no air flow.

Even then though I haven't been able to get it hot enough I couldn't pick it up (wouldn't want to hold onto it for long though)

I'm sure given enough time with no air flow and a high ambient temperature would get it to the thermal protection mode. Looks like it's going to easily handle 100°+ ride temperatures with no problem though. When I first got the Wiz20 I ran it with no air flow for 10 min. and only got a case temp. reading of 106°. Far better resistance to heat than any other light I've seen.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    No thermal issues here. Of course is 48f temp. Could use a lil heat to warm the hands up!
    I'm going to try my new flood optics out as soon as I get home.

RAKC
    That's one thing I like is leave it on high, it keeps the light warm on cold nights. No cold temp effects on the Li-Ion cells. It's great. Perfect snow riding light as I get fully run time and if hand get cold just wrap them around the light. Takes the chill off.

mtbr member
    That's one thing I like is leave it on high, it keeps the light warm on cold nights. No cold temp effects on the Li-Ion cells. It's great. Perfect snow riding light as I get fully run time and if hand get cold just wrap them around the light. Takes the chill off.

For me the thing that would make it a perfect snow riding light is the fact that the mode button would work well with heavy gloves.
    Mole

RAKC
    I didn't have any problems myself but I don't rely on heavy gloves (I hate them), I use pogies/bar mitts. So much easier. But too I can ride down into the high 20s on trails with nothing more than my bontrager racelite softshell gloves

mtbr member
    I just checked the extended forecast and predictions for my Thur.-Sunday weekend are 110°, 117°, 118° and 114°. This will be a good opportunity to test the Wiz20 in some really high ride temps. Expect some posted temp. test results this weekend.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Mole, look forward to yr to your findings. and yr crazy mon!!

RAKC
    I ride in some heat but ffs. Mole your nuts if you plan in riding in that. My cap is around 95, though I have horrible humidity more often than not, even dry heat like you it's 95 max for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Ok, put the 25d optics in today! pretty straightforward install. Hoping for more flood as the stock optics were good, and I'm sure a faster rider would appreciate the throw, but my slow 12-15mph pace (on smooth towpath rail trail) I wanted a touch more flood as I am not even close to outrunning this light. I also have the flood optics to try if these aren't to my liking. The optics are easy to install and swap out. I love having some options with beam patterns and most self contained lights offer nothing in options. Batteries as well.

mtbr member
    Ok, put the 25d optics in today! pretty straightforward install. Hoping for more flood as the stock optics were good, and I'm sure a faster rider would appreciate the throw, but my slow 12-15mph pace (on smooth towpath rail trail) I wanted a touch more flood as I am not even close to outrunning this light. I also have the flood optics to try if these aren't to my liking. The optics are easy to install and swap out. I love having some options with beam patterns and most self contained lights offer nothing in options. Batteries as well.
    Glad to see you're finally trying these optics (25°). From my experience (and testing) you shouldn't lose any throw and gain a small but noticeable amount of flood. Your speeds and usage sound very similar to the rides I've been using my Wiz20 for so there's a good chance you'll like the 25s as much as I do. Look forward to hearing how the flood ones work for you too.

Got some 90°-95° ride temp. usage on the Wiz20 last night. Light remains unfazed and still only feels warm after a couple of miles of max. intensity usage. High temps. are going to ramp up real quick the next couple of days so should have no problem getting ride time in at over 100° ride temps (even though you guys think I'm nuts)
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 06-02-2016 at 12:41 PM.

mtbr member

100°, No Problem!

OK, as of last night I know the Wiz20 can handle 100° running at its max. setting. I even kept the speed below 8 mph for a mile or so and while it was starting to feel a lot warmer you could still grab the light and hold on without any discomfort. Good enough for me!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Good stuff MRMOLE. Looks like hot or cold, this light does its job. I've yet to ride with the new optics. Plus it's like 80 here, my cutoff is 75f.....

RAKC
    75f, that's like prime, push myself to the point of my legs barely able to hold my weight when I get back to the car type weather . I'm not in great shape and a big guy (still got like 30lbs I'm trying to loose, 276 lbs ATM).

But too I ride from 10F up to lower 90s. The high end kind of sucks cause jerseys are too heavy, trying to find shirts like one I used to have. Athletic short material but stupid thin, was way cooler than jerseys or the normal stuff I find at stores. Though being cheap and trying not to buy MORE UA gear. Wife cut me off on that for a while after everything I bought so I could dress "light" but still be warm for fat biking in the winter.

That said, I have NO IDEA how mole rides a fat bike in his temps. Above 80 it's the 29er, the fatty just drains me too fast cause I try to go as fast as I do on my 29er.

mtbr member
    that said, I have NO IDEA how mole rides a fat bike in his temps. Above 80 it's the 29er, the fatty just drains me too fast cause I try to go as fast as I do on my 29er.

Riding in the heat or cold mostly depends on what your used to. There's a summer night ride series here I participate in that sometimes has close to 200 riders attend so I know I'm not the only one riding in these temps. Things that help me: 155lb normal weight, 10,000+ miles a year, Ti Mukluk - 28lb, Carbon Beargrease - 23.6lb, 4.0 Jumbo Jims on both fattys. So you could say our human bodies are just as thermally flexible as the Wiz20, just less comfortable at the extremes.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    10,000mi? Damn mole! I rode 2000mi last year and 1500 was on a 19lb cx bike.... Man I'm slackin! I did get a short ride in last night. I really liked the wiz20 before. But with these new 25d optics, this light freakin rocks! It seems to have picked up a decent amount of flood, and still gets out there. More ride time will tell, but these 25d seems the sweet spot. Still may pop the flood optics in if I get some time to ride my local mtn bike trails and use it for my bar light. Versitility is always good.

mtbr member
    I did get a short ride in last night. I really liked the wiz20 before. But with these new 25d optics, this light freakin rocks! It seems to have picked up a decent amount of flood, and still gets out there. More ride time will tell, but these 25d seems the sweet spot. Still may pop the flood optics in if I get some time to ride my local mtn bike trails and use it for my bar light. Versitility is always good.
    Was pretty sure you'd like the 25° optic. The stock 10° is a little too spotty for my taste and instead of the 25° being just a better balance of throw/flood it's more like you get extra flood for free since the center-beam lux #'s are almost identical (with the Wiz20). More power per optic could change the way these optics compare though. I was looking at the chart action published using these optics in a new Xera (900+ lumens out of 1 optic) and the 10° had a sizable throw advantage over the 25°. Be interesting to test this when I get my XP2
    Mole

Name:  1044790d1453504525t-2016-gemini-lights-xera-duo-optics (2).png
Views: 386
Size:  88.8 KB

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    The wiz20 is the 1st light I cracked open for optics change. Went very smoothly, with good results. Now onto my refurbs! 3rd spot going in my xs!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast