USB Powered Bike Lights- Mtbr.com
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

USB Powered Bike Lights

I just ran across this little thing: Zhishunjia CREE XM-L2 U2 LED Water Resistant USB Camping Headlamp (3-Modes 900Lm)

Cheap too. Two of these on the bars would be a lot, and could be ran into a USB battery case with a splitter.

Used with something like this: Soshine E4 Dual USB Interface DIY LCD 18650 Mobile Power Bank 2 Slot for iPhone 6 6 Plus Samsung HTC Sony Smart Phone

Now granted, the power bank would have some serious parasitic drain, but so long as you knew the limitations I think it'd be nice multi-purpose setp.

If only they made the Solarstorm X3 XM-L2 Neutral in a USB plus.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What benefit do you get by running a light via USB? Five volts vs 7.4 is going to give you a lot less light.

These two are a only couple of bucks more, have the glowing/flashing "running light" rings, and a standard MS type plug.

Cree XM-L2 U2 LED 4-Mode 1100 Lumens Bike Light (Battery Pack not included) - Silver Gray (Flood Beam Grey - Gold) $13.68

Cree XM-L2 U2 LED 4-Mode 1100 Lumens Bike Light (Battery Pack not included) - Silver Gray (Spot Beam Grey - Red) $13.68

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    What benefit do you get by running a light via USB? Five volts vs 7.4 is going to give you a lot less light.
    Good catch. I honestly would not have known to check on the voltage.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

mtbr member
    The original OP lamp does not mention the voltage source, only the type of connection. Since USB is associated with 5 volts or less it would likely have to use a 4.5 volt battery with USB output connector. You can buy these battery packs and the lamp will run as long as any other 8.4 volt battery using the same number of cells. I'm surprised the Gearbest ad makes no mention of this requirement but then again a lot of the Chinese websites are not so great at included all needed information. Likely if you search the Gearbest website for battery packs you will find a suitable battery.

*Edit*...Yes the phone type chargers will work. You can also charge a cell phone with them. That said I own one of cheap use-your-own cells type USB chargers and the one's I have are cheap crap. They work but are very shoddy. Unless you get a good battery holder, using the USB type chargers are a PITA. Lastly, not all USB chargers output more than two amps. If you are running an XM-L2 powered lamp you would want at least 2A. In the end I think you'd be better with a standard lamp using an 7.2-8.4 volt battery ( without USB )