"Upgrading" from Solarstorm XT40 to Fenix BC30- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

"Upgrading" from Solarstorm XT40 to Fenix BC30

Hi all

My current bar light is a Solarstorm XT40, which I use primarily for riding on paved suburban bike trails at night. Many areas of these paths have no artifical or ambient lighting. It does OK, but sometimes I don't think it lights up the path in front of well enough to go at the speeds I would like to. Adjusting the light angle doesn't seem to do much, and I have to try and keep it from blinding others coming towards me!

I keep thinking there might be better options available. The Fenix BC30 looks like it might be a better option but would it be considered an "upgrade" in terms of getting the light where I'd like it the most? I've thought about a helmet light as an addition but I don't think it's really necessary for where I'm riding?

Any other alternative options are welcome

RAKC
    Bc30 is a downgrade in performance. They produce about half the output.

If I'm understanding you correctly your riding on paved paths. The xt40 if it was the real one from gearbest should have been plenty to ride as fast as you want.

Is your xt40 a neutral white or cool white version. Cool white tint could be your other issue. Many of us have issues with cool white light, it's hard on our eyes and we can't actually see that well.

I would steer clear of Fenix if you want a bright bike light. Their stuff is nice but grossly out dated and the output is a total lie. They rate their lights on their stupid turbo mode. Actual useable light mode is half of what they rate.

There's ALOT of better lights out there, not sure how much you want to spend though. Cheap chinese lights the options are limited (extremely limited) but branded lights there is endless choices (but if it's a cool white tint problem, many of the big name brands are out, they are behind the times by years)

My recommendation would be the Ituo wiz20. I love mine for about everything except I'm now spoiled on remotes for my mountain bike lights.

PS, I have a Fenix bc30r. So I have good experience with the bc30 series. Not impressive at all and mine failed in a couple months, less than 10 uses. That was the icing on the cake of a nice but grossly under performing light. I won't use Fenix anymore nor refer them till they make something that's not out dated and low performance.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I am not a real light expert, but I am pretty sure I did get it from gearbest originally so it is probably a cool white version. The tint looks to me like it is very 'white', so probably a cool white tint?

I will check out the Ituo wiz20. I don't know much about it but I was hoping for a self contained light like the BC30 if possible. Out of the other lights (cheap chinese or otherwise) do you have any recommendations for lights with neutral white tint? I know the Chinese lights will probably have separate battery packs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I have a wiz20 and would highly recommend it. Self contained, usb, output is really good 1400lm in high. Customized the beam pattern with optics to my liking. I use mine similarly to your use. Pathways on my cyclocross bike. Good light. $99 bucks with batteries. Plug it in charge it up and go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Is there an online store that sends the Wiz20 to Australia? The ITUO site has an Australian stockist but that company does not list any ITUO lights on their site

RAKC
    www.ituolights.com

But shipping is from the US so whatever that cost is will be on top of the normal price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thanks.

I have had a look at the ITUO lights more closely, and I'm wondering if the Wiz20 can be adjusted horizontally on the clamp? I have an 'out front' Garmin Edge unit which occupies the space where the Wiz20 would ideally sit, so I usually mount my more towards the far left side of the handlebar and then angled in slightly.

But since it's a GoPro style mount I could get an out-front mount that accommodates a Garmin on top and has a GoPro mount on the underside (such as the K-Edge Combo Mount Adaptor and clones). But given these lights are much deeper than any action cam, would the mount provide enough depth for the light to fit correctly?

Do you think the Wiz1/Wiz2 might also fit the bill?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The bc30 is 1200 lumens (without the turbo) and it's tough as bricks, it's a great flooder that put's out as wide a peripheral as any bike light I've seen plus it has a cut-off so as not to blind traffic. Mine's received more punishment than any other light I own including being dropped at high speed on several occasions. It's a very well made bike light with a unique beam, but it's not a thrower so not what the OP is looking for. It's still my go to bar light with the gemini duo on the lid and frankly I'd say it produces one of the best bike specific beam profiles out there.

The other bc bikelight, The "BC30R" TIGRIS is referring to is more in the road bike market, I wouldn't consider it a mtb bike light at 800 or so lumens.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nandystam View Post
    I have had a look at the ITUO lights more closely, and I'm wondering if the Wiz20 can be adjusted horizontally on the clamp? I have an 'out front' Garmin Edge unit which occupies the space where the Wiz20 would ideally sit, so I usually mount my more towards the far left side of the handlebar and then angled in slightly.

But since it's a GoPro style mount I could get an out-front mount that accommodates a Garmin on top and has a GoPro mount on the underside (such as the K-Edge Combo Mount Adaptor and clones). But given these lights are much deeper than any action cam, would the mount provide enough depth for the light to fit correctly?
    Another option might be to try one of the GoPro mounts I make. They can swivel to accommodate mounting on an angled portion of the bar yet aim the light straight ahead. Here is a link to the MTBR thread on them.

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...s-1002310.html
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

RAKC
    The wiz20 doesn't use a gopro style mount. Only wiz1 2 and XP series use the gopro mounts. Wiz20 is on a fixed position mount sadly.