upgrade old niterider digital pro 6V to LED- Mtbr.com
    FAT CHANCE!

upgrade old niterider digital pro 6V to LED

I am selling off my Dinotte 200L lights and my Niterider digital pro 6V online. The Dinotte are great but a little on the small side (to ride faster on the trails at night). But looking at the Niterider, it is a nice light casing and simple setup, it just doesn't produce the light that the newer LEDs are able to produce.

Looking at it more it seems that the circuits inside the light housing are still pretty complex to just do a simple switch. OR are they? I wouldn't mind holding onto the light if it was relatively cheap to switch them out for a LED light and lens. Or should I just go with the cheaper China lights that are so cheap now I could buy a few of them and still save my money going that route?

thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah, it's probably not cost effective to actually switch the driver to a led driver and switch the halogens to led. It's cheaper just to buy some Yindings, Nitefighters, or Solarstorms.

I think it's possible to run old halogen lights on the modern lithium 7.2V batteries. You would just need a DC to DC converter. They sell these on amazon. I've haven't tried this, and I don't think anyone else has either, but I think it's possible. It's still not advisable, as the newest leds are more powerful and the size of the Yinding is minuscule compared to the old halogen lights.

RAKC
    Going led isn't simple. Doesn't take much of anything to control a light bulb, takes alot more to control an led. The work involved and costs would be way more than a couple decent Chinese lights.

FAT CHANCE!
    I have seen those DC to DC converters and I am not sure how easy that would be for me. I did make my own rechargeable batteries a few years ago but I feel like I can buy rechargeable batteries cheaper than I can make and spend the time on. Maybe a nice snowy night hobby when I am stuck inside. BuuuuuuuT

I decided to get ride of my lights since I got 2 of these cheap impressive guys for my handle bar and helmet.
    Name:  s-l500.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  20.0 KBName:  s-l500 (1).jpg
Views: 172
Size:  37.5 KB

I think they were $18 each and blow away all my other lights put together. I couldn't even see 2 Dinotte 200L lights on bright next to one of these lights. I am sure if I ever crashed they may not survive but I can afford to have about 15-20 more on back up if I wanted too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those are old lights Roy, they work well but the newer dual led lights work much better.

You should check out the Yindings, Nitefighter and Solarstorm lights. They are way better than those single led lights.

FAT CHANCE!
    agreed! thanks for the Affirmation.

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Those are old lights Roy, they work well but the newer dual led lights work much better.

You should check out the Yindings, Nitefighter and Solarstorm lights. They are way better than those single led lights.
    Like these???
    upgrade old niterider digital pro 6V to LED-s-l1600.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yes, that's a clone of a light called the Solarstorm X2. The original lights were very good, but they copied (cloned) to death and now you don't know what you are getting.

Check these lights out
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...nd-941540.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-965949.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ew-963636.html

FAT CHANCE!
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Yes, that's a clone of a light called the Solarstorm X2. The original lights were very good, but they copied (cloned) to death and now you don't know what you are getting.

Check these lights out
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...nd-941540.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-965949.html

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ew-963636.html
    That sound was my head exploding. Thanks for the links. The fake ones are very cheap. But the real ones are not that much more which is nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Most people are buying from Gearbest these days. They have had some problems in the last month or two with shipping things out, but they were good for most of the year. The nitefighter lights are currently out of stock. Also consider getting the light with neutral white emitters, they are easier on the eyes than the cool-white that lights have had in the past. It's not for everyone though.

FAT CHANCE!
    are there any Gearbest coupons online? I have not found any.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I think that they aren't doing coupons anymore.

RAKC
    Varider is correct, they don't do extra coupons anymore, they just sell at the price listed. New lights sometimes they will do special group buy coupons but that's done back when product is introduced as a promotion.

FAT CHANCE!
    after doing a little more research, there seems to bed a TON of light makers out there. Using a lot of the same materials to produce the lights, I feel like you are actually paying for some of the cosmetics at first since there is no way of knowing what circuits are under the packaging.