Upgrade from L&M Arc NiMH- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Upgrade from L&M Arc NiMH

I have had this light for years and just recently got back into night riding. The light works fine and is plenty bright but the battery only lasts just under 2 hrs. This leaves me with only a handlebar mounted light which is annoying. Any lights out there that will last longer? I realize mine is outdated and not sure if a new battery would increase run time. Looking for options.
    Mr. Finn

Candlestick Maker
    This thread might be of interest:

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...nt-866697.html

Personally, I'd get a new light and battery...
    baker

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.finn View Post
    I have had this light for years and just recently got back into night riding. The light works fine and is plenty bright but the battery only lasts just under 2 hrs. This leaves me with only a handlebar mounted light which is annoying. Any lights out there that will last longer? I realize mine is outdated and not sure if a new battery would increase run time. Looking for options.
    As baker mentioned,,, get a new light set up and if in your budget I strongly recommend two lights for safety and better illumination on all types of riding (trail) conditions. The new lights will blow the doors off your Arc in output and runtimes.

What would your budget be if you went that rout?

mtbr member
    Mr. Finn, You didn't say what you're using for a bar lamp but the fact that you are using an HID lamp on the helmet tells me that likely both of your lamps are out-dated. Perhaps you should consider replacing both.

If you had enough money back then to buy an L&M HID lamp you should have no problem buying a better set-up now. Back in the day the L&M HID lamps weren't cheap. That's one of the reasons why I never bought one ( and I've always been a very serious night rider ).

Yeah, you can replace the battery and re-use the lamp. The 11.1 volt batteries aren't cheap though. Then at some point the bulb ( or ballast ) will fail and you'll have to spend more money to replace it. I figure if you're going to spend money why not spend less money for something better. Of course by saying "Better" I'm being overly simplistic. By "better" I mean more brighter light, longer run times, choice of beam tint / beam pattern and better multi-mode user interface options. Prices will vary though depending on the brand and quality of the lamps you wish to buy. Still, for less than $100 you can buy something decent that will put the HID to shame.

If you're seriously considering getting back into night riding, do yourself a favor, buy some of the newer LED lights. If you want some recommendations or have more questions about the newer LED lamps just ask. The people on this sub-forum are super night riding nerds.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reply's so far. I should have given some more detail up front. Just got back into night riding after years off. Figure the old Arc would work fine(which it does), it is my helmet light. After riding with a group I purchased a Nightrider Lumina 750 for the handlebars. Like I said the Arc works fine but only lasts about 1:45-2 hrs. Battery life in the manual says 3-4 hrs(maybe when it was new but don't remember) I know the technology is old and maybe it's time to replace it and save it for a back up.
    Mr. Finn

mtbr member
    May 2010
    A search for spare batteries turned up. The three cell is $150 and the 6 cell is $200. Guess I will use it until it dies or start saving for a new light.
    Mr. Finn

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.finn View Post
    A search for spare batteries turned up. The three cell is $150 and the 6 cell is $200. Guess I will use it until it dies or start saving for a new light.
    There are lots of options for you for the price of one of those new battery's. Check out action-led-lights.com , They have some refurbished Gloworm X-2's (not sure if its just the lamp head) if so get the four cell battery from Gemini and you will have a great light for either application (bar/helmet) and it should be less than $150.

If you live in a cooler area where your night rides are in temperatures below 50/60F the new Gemini Duo with the four cell battery will give you three hours of run time on the highest setting (1500 lumens) it has wireless remote and is only $179. Much better option than a battery for your arc. You can even go a six or eight cell for ridiculously long run times. Keep in mind unlike your arc (which I don't think were dimmable) the led lights are and you will get even longer run times as you would not be doing your climbing on full power. Cheers!!
    Last edited by indebt; 02-07-2016 at 03:59 PM.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by indebt View Post
    There are lots of options for you for the price of one of those new battery's. Check out action-led-lights.com , They have some refurbished Gloworm X-2's (not sure if its just the lamp head) if so get the four cell battery from Gemini and you will have a great light for either application (bar/helmet) and it should be less than $150.
    QUOTE]
    To add to what you've already said the refurbished light-heads come with a 2 yr. warranty and they also have referb. Gloworm batteries along with overstock Gloworm, Gemini, and Magicshine batteries @ good sale prices!
    Mole