Upgrade to Gloworm X2 or keep buying BT40S's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upgrade to Gloworm X2 or keep buying BT40S's?

My current setup is a Nitefighter/Revtronic BT40S on the bars (with the $1.75 Gearbest GoPro mount), and a BT40S on the helmet with an 0-ring mount. This setup works pretty good, and I've only had one unit go bad on me after about a year of riding, which is not too shabby considering the cost.

The setup works pretty well, my main complaint is that because the light is relatively heavy, the o-ring mount is not sufficient to keep it in place on rough terrain. My GoPro mount on the handlebars was a big improvement, but I had to dremel out the channel in the mount to clear the cable, and I've had problems with the tab on the mount bending as well. Loctiting the mounting screw and epoxying the mount to the light helps though.

I would like something lighter, more low-profile, and more throwy than the BT40S for the helmet. I have in the past used a Gemini Duo and Yinding on the helmet, but both of those lights were overpowered by the BT40S on the bars.

I had always eyed the Gloworms, but balked at the cost, and also I ride both day and night, so having to remove both the light AND the wired remote every time seems like a hassle. The 2018 Gloworm X2 looks enticing with the wireless remote, that could be left on the bar, and I like the fact that it now has a redundant power switch on the body of the light.

However at $144 for the neutral white lightead, I could buy five BT40S lightheads. So I guess my question is, for those who have used both the X2 and BT40S, does the X2 have vastly superior throw/beam pattern to justify its cost?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post

The setup works pretty well, my main complaint is that because the light is relatively heavy, the o-ring mount is not sufficient to keep it in place on rough terrain. My GoPro mount on the handlebars was a big improvement, but I had to dremel out the channel in the mount to clear the cable, and I've had problems with the tab on the mount bending as well. Loctiting the mounting screw and epoxying the mount to the light helps though

They make different sized o-rings and different materials too. You might be able to get away with a smaller o-ring (I recommend Gemini ones).
    You need to replace that Nitefighter Gopro mount. I used the same setup with my BT40s/BT70 and once the mount started bending it cracked and broke quickly on the BT70 and while still OK on the BT40s I seldom use that light and wouldn't trust the mount.

GoPro adapters and Gopro mounts for bike lights

https://www.action-led-lights.com/co...ini-o-ring-set

I would like something lighter, more low-profile, and more throwy than the BT40S for the helmet. I have in the past used a Gemini Duo and Yinding on the helmet, but both of those lights were overpowered by the BT40S on the bars.

I'm surprised you didn't like either the Yinding or Due both of which I would describe as being lighter, lower profile, and more throwy. Spot beam lights are only more effective in a small area and something for you to think about is that the Gloworm X2 will have a similar beam pattern to these lights, just with more power (throw) unless you change optics.

I had always eyed the Gloworms, but balked at the cost, and also I ride both day and night, so having to remove both the light AND the wired remote every time seems like a hassle. The 2018 Gloworm X2 looks enticing with the wireless remote, that could be left on the bar, and I like the fact that it now has a redundant power switch on the body of the light.

However at $144 for the neutral white lightead, I could buy five BT40S lightheads. So I guess my question is, for those who have used both the X2 and BT40S, does the X2 have vastly superior throw/beam pattern to justify its cost?

Value for your dollar/Bang for the buck it's impossible to beat the BT40s "if it meets you needs". I own both a BT40s and 2017 Gloworm X2. With the BT40s you get one beam pattern choice and reasonable reliability. Quality of the Gloworm is much better, you can adjust the beam pattern from wider and more throw than your BT40s using "wide angle optics" to easily double the throw of the BT40s with the stock optics + mode power level programmability + quite a bit more overall power + remote switch + excellent bar and helmet mounts. Whether it's worth the extra cost is up to you but I can definitely say it does have vastly more throw.

Ituo XP2 has very similar characteristics to the Gloworm and will save you a little money.
    https://www.ituolights.com/collectio...ke-light-kit-1

You might also like this one.
    https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/product...it-remote.html

Mole

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's a big help. I will definitely get in touch with vancbiker for the mounts, you don't want to mess around with lights falling off. I know someone whose battery holder failed, the battery fell and got caught between the tire and fork arch, and he went OTB, and shattering his collarbone.

A Gemini O-ring looks worth trying too. O-rings like to go out of adjustment or move slightly when you turn the light on and off, It seems like I'm always fiddling with them. The thing I like best about the GoPro mount is that you can turn the light on and off without disturbing the aim.

The Yinding and Duo have the throw, but just not the power. Once I started using the BT40S on the bars, the output from the Duo/Yinding seemed so dim that they were hardly doing anything. Both are older models, but I don't think the newer ones don't put out significantly more light.

Sounds like the X2 would fit the bill perfectly, but you just have to pay to play. Too bad the Ituo isn't at a lower price point; for an extra $20 might as well pony up for the X2. Too bad the BT21 got discontinued. It seems that with all the lights on the market there should be a throwy 2-LED light with the Yinding/Duo/X2 form factor that can keep up with the BT40S at a middle price point.

mtbr member
    [
    QUOTE=zuuds;13343199]A Gemini O-ring looks worth trying too. O-rings like to go out of adjustment or move slightly when you turn the light on and off, It seems like I'm always fiddling with them. The thing I like best about the GoPro mount is that you can turn the light on and off without disturbing the aim.
    If you've been using the nitefighter O-rings these Gemini ones should be a big improvement. Thicker silicone rubber is quite a bit less flexible and provides a much more secure grip.

The Yinding and Duo have the throw, but just not the power. Once I started using the BT40S on the bars, the output from the Duo/Yinding seemed so dim that they were hardly doing anything. Both are older models, but I don't think the newer ones don't put out significantly more light.
    While I recognize the BT40s as one of the best value lights available there are also some issues I have with the beam pattern that make it not one of my favorite lights. When I first got mine I had issues with very poor perceived throw and thinking more intensity was what it needed, ran the light on turbo all the time. As time went on with more usage I realized I could actually see better with the light set in the med position. The BT40s nice wide beam just puts way too much light around the front wheel for me and the glare was reducing my overall vision especially at distance. My eyes are pretty glare sensitive and this will effect everyone to a different degree but is a possible explanation as to why it seems like the BT40s is overwhelming the Yinding/Duo. Worth a try running your BT40s in the med. or high mode to see if it doesn't improve your actual visibility when using a more spotty light on your helmet.

Sounds like the X2 would fit the bill perfectly, but you just have to pay to play. Too bad the Ituo isn't at a lower price point; for an extra $20 might as well pony up for the X2. Too bad the BT21 got discontinued. It seems that with all the lights on the market there should be a throwy 2-LED light with the Yinding/Duo/X2 form factor that can keep up with the BT40S at a middle price point.
    Agree it's unfortunate the BT21 is no longer available. While the newest X2 may have surpassed the BT21 setup I use (Stock + Gloworm spot optics) in throw and lumen output I still prefer the beam pattern of the BT21 to any other 2 emitter light I've tried.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zuuds View Post
    I can't speak for the Yinding but I own both a couple BT40S's and a couple Gemini Duo's. No way is the 40S going to over-power the Duo. If you put dual spot optics in the Duo the Duo will have some pretty powerful throw. On the other hand I hated the standard optics the Duo came with but with dual spots it rocks.

The 40S has great illumination for seeing things as far as 100 ft.
    As such it's makes for a decent bar lamp. If the lamp moves too much on the bars you might try buying a standard type universal ( clamp style ) bar mount. You'll have to lose the Gopro mount but at least the lamp won't move when riding over rough terrain. You can also buy a clamp style GP mount but those tend to be very expensive and might not be compatible with the cheap GP adapter you have on the lamp. If it were me I'd go with the standard clamp ( non GP ) mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    No way is the 40S going to over-power the Duo.
    I neglected to mention, by the time I was running my Duo with a BT40S on the bars, my Duo was no longer in stock configuration. The original circuit board in my Duo burned out after the warranty expired, and it was not cost effective to have the board replaced by Action LED lights. I found a cheap Yinding clone replacement circuit board on Aliexpress or some similar site, and jerry-rigged it into the Duo lighthead. It worked for several months until the LED's eventually melted the Duo lenses...

The Duo was an OK light while it lasted, but Gemini is not a good value any more. The 1500 lumen Duo lighthead is $139, but $5 more will get you the 2018 glowworm X2 in neutral white, which is 1700 lumens and comes with much better mounting brackets.

Land of the 230+
    Not that I have much knowledge on lights in general, but I never liked the BT40s on the helmet. I find the $15 kaidomain x2 light to be way better in terms of throw, and out put keeps up with all but the max setting on the BT40s. I know youre budget allows for a nicer helmet lamp, but Ive never been so impressed with a $15 light as the KD one...