upgrade to gemini duo wider flood?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749

    upgrade to gemini duo wider flood?

    I'm running a Gemini Duo on my bars with one flood optic and find I still don't have the beam width I'd like for tight and twisty mid-atlantic singletrack. The flood optic dramatically reduces the light output. Considering moving the Duo to my helmet, but then what makes sense for the bars, then? Currently running Glowork X1 on helmet but not uber-impressed with that beam pattern, either.

    Really I just wish the Duo had a wider beam pattern.

    Suggestions?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    I'm running a Gemini Duo on my bars with one flood optic and find I still don't have the beam width I'd like for tight and twisty mid-atlantic singletrack. The flood optic dramatically reduces the light output. Considering moving the Duo to my helmet, but then what makes sense for the bars, then? Currently running Glowork X1 on helmet but not uber-impressed with that beam pattern, either.

    Really I just wish the Duo had a wider beam pattern.

    Suggestions?
    Gloworm X2 with two wide-angle lenses on the bar. You can continue using your Duo on the helmet with two standard lenses for greater throw.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    I'm running a Gemini Duo on my bars with one flood optic and find I still don't have the beam width I'd like for tight and twisty mid-atlantic singletrack. The flood optic dramatically reduces the light output. Considering moving the Duo to my helmet, but then what makes sense for the bars, then? Currently running Glowork X1 on helmet but not uber-impressed with that beam pattern, either.

    Really I just wish the Duo had a wider beam pattern.

    Suggestions?
    What flood optic are you using? There are several I can think of and they all work very differently. May have a solution for you depending on which flood optic you're using.
    Mole

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749

    upgrade to gemini duo wider flood?

    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    What flood optic are you using? There are several I can think of and they all work very differently. May have a solution for you depending on which flood optic you're using.
    Mole
    I'm using the flood optic available through action-led.

    This: http://www.action-led-lights.com/col...for-gemini-duo


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    I'm using the flood optic available through action-led.

    This: Wide Angle Lens for Gemini Duo and Xera ? Action-LED-Lights


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OK, I have that optic. Spreads light everywhere (large amount of vertical spread that wastes lumens). IMO the Duo doesn't make enough power to support the coverage area of the optic (very wide but too dim to be useful). I've had better luck using Gloworms X2/XS wide angle optic. It's more efficient than either the flood or stock optic you currently use and while it spreads the beam horizontally it doesn't vertically so your not wasting lumens on coverage areas that don't help you (more efficient + wider horizontal only beam = very little light intensity loss with a wider beam). Using 2 of these optics you'll loose a little throw (your helmet light is a great thrower so you should be covered) and a little light around the front wheel (not sure how important this is to you since I ride in the desert where there are no roots). You should gain a slightly wider beam that's a little less intense in the middle but much brighter at the outside edges (left and right) of the beam.
    Mole

    Gloworm X2 & XS Wide Angle Optic ? Action-LED-Lights

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749
    Interesting. I'd actually replaced the X2 with the duo because of recurring issues with the switch wires coming loose. Any others? Magic shine?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    Interesting. I'd actually replaced the X2 with the duo because of recurring issues with the switch wires coming loose. Any others? Magic shine?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Understand your problems with Gloworm wire/remote. I own 2015 X2 & XS, both had to be warrantied for remote issues (seem to be OK now).
    The new XS spot and wide angle optics however are the best I've run across to date (flood optic that comes with the lights is junk though). The wide angle optic I recommended is nothing like the flood that came with your X2 FYI. Just wanted to make sure you weren't using your X2 to estimate what the beam pattern would look like.
    Mole

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Understand your problems with Gloworm wire/remote. I own 2015 X2 & XS, both had to be warrantied for remote issues (seem to be OK now).
    The new XS spot and wide angle optics however are the best I've run across to date (flood optic that comes with the lights is junk though). The wide angle optic I recommended is nothing like the flood that came with your X2 FYI. Just wanted to make sure you weren't using your X2 to estimate what the beam pattern would look like.
    Mole
    After I got the X2 back from Action, who promptly took care of the issue, I compared the X2, with the supplied flood optic, to the Duo and decided on the Duo. So I sold the X2 to a friend. Hmmm, I wonder if he's using it...

    Just to be clear, you're recommending the X2 with the wide angle optic you linked, rather than the Duo with the linked wide angle optic? Ideally I could find a good lens for the Duo.

  9. #9
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,139
    Both lights if they have the same optics will have the EXACT SAME beam pattern. X2 just has higher output than the duo (and I think the x2 looks way cooler lol)

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,305
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreKen View Post
    After I got the X2 back from Action, who promptly took care of the issue, I compared the X2, with the supplied flood optic, to the Duo and decided on the Duo. So I sold the X2 to a friend. Hmmm, I wonder if he's using it...

    Just to be clear, you're recommending the X2 with the wide angle optic you linked, rather than the Duo with the linked wide angle optic? Ideally I could find a good lens for the Duo.
    I was suggesting you use the wide angle optic in your Duo. I've run this optic in a Yinding, Duo, X2 V3.1 (only X2 version it will fit), XS, BT21 and it works well in all these lights. You'll be shocked how much brighter your light will be with the Gloworm Wide angle compared to the flood optic your using now.
    Mole

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    749
    Right on. Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

    BTW, took some shots in the fog this morning that I thought were interesting. You can really see the difference in power coming through the two lenses: normal on the left and wide angle on the right.



    [url=https://flic.kr/p/CbosqP]


Similar Threads

  1. Going with wider rim up front but is wider on rear as important?
    By MarkyMarksXC in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 11:38 AM
  2. Any prevailing wisdom on wider rims? (upgrade)
    By db9 in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2015, 05:25 PM
  3. Spam flood
    By musikron in forum Site Feedback/Issues
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 04:34 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 12:37 PM
  5. CREE XM-L T6 LED - Can I Get Better Flood?
    By djonesax in forum Lights DIY - Do It Yourself
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 01:04 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.