TwoFish: Fenix LD20 Mounting Options- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

TwoFish: Fenix LD20 Mounting Options

Greetings all.

I have tried a bunch of options for mounting my LD20s. Zip ties, hose clamps and a bunch of other cheap options found on DealExtreme, including the ones put out by Fenix themselves. They work - somewhat, but NOT well.

I came across the TwoFish products having read a bunch of threads here. I am a little confused though as to which "blocks" I need to get. The LD20s have a diameter of 21.5mm at the widest point but are actually slimmer where i intend on using as attachment points.

In a nut shell - which TwoFish blocks would best be suited for mounting these lights on OS 31.8mm bars and 25.4mm bars. Cycloblocks, Lockblocks or any others I might have missed? THANKS!

"Mr. Britannica"
    doesn't really matter, they are made of rubber

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Weaver scope rings, weaver base, Lupine bar mount from geoman.

screw the lupine to the weaver base. Use the knob on the weaver rings as a QR.

Or screw the lupine mount or a Cygolite mount directly to the weaver rings w/o the base.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Appreciate the replies.

I will go the Twofish route for now and see what gives. The Weaver combo option does appear solid and more permanent however. I would need to see and physically play around with the various items for the latter though to ensure compatibility

Should anyone else have similar queries regarding Twofish blocks and flashlight handlbar/helmet mounting options, here is a useful comprehensive pictorial I came across:

http://www.ruscelli.com/biking_fenix.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I found that to work great with the Fenix.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That Fenix is a AA light like my Romisen, so this mount would work. I did have to wrap a rubber shim around the light to make a snug fit. Once installed, the light or mount do not move at all.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    mijome07, thanks for the visuals.

I actually came across your post in another thread and ordered the exact same mounts along with a pair of lock blocks from DX.

I slipped some washers in between the bolt/mount interface to prevent the plastic molds from over bending whilst tightening. The Fenix LD20s have a fairly narrow diameter body.

Pardon the crappy phone camera pic!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TwoFish: Fenix LD20 Mounting Options-image0204.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice setup. Man, I didn't even think about using washers. Great idea. How you like that setup?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The mounts IMO are more solid than the lock blocks IMO, not that the latter are in anyway flimsy. The downside is that they are also a lot more permanent and makes quick releasing a PITA (especially with the washers employed). Overall though I am content with the setup. So far it has proven a stable platform with no adjustments having ridden about 40 miles of single track.

Lighting wise, the LD20s are good despite the short battery life. I only clocked 1 hour on one and 1 hour 20 mins on the other (both in turbo mode and fully charged Eneloops). I believe the claimed burn time is supposed to be closer to 2 hours. I will test again with another set of Eneloops.

I definitely foresee myself acquiring a helmet light with less throw and more spill for longer trail rides at night. Judging from other members' posts, the MS900 might just do it . . . Ahhh, bloody lumens - they're addictive!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0