Two batteries & one lamp advice- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Two batteries & one lamp advice

I would like to end up with one bar & one helmet lamp. What I have now is the Magicshine lamp with two of the upgraded batteries.

If I keep the Magicshine as the bar mounted lamp, what advice would you give for the helmet lamp?

1) Just buy another lamp and I'm are set. (another magicshine or bikeray III/IV)? Seems like the battery is kind of heavy and I wouldn't mind carrying something lighter.

2) Sell one of the upgraded batteries and use the funds towards a smaller/lighter lamp for the helmet?

3) Another option I'm not thinking of?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Last edited by Rakuman; 07-27-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Sweet recommendation, I'm sold. I can't tell from the website but is the XM-L the same size as the 900? I also need a helmet mount, is the Magicshine mount the one to get or is there something better? I remember reading awhile back about how the velcro wasn't designed right or something. Is it still the case?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Sweet recommendation, I'm sold. I can't tell from the website but is the XM-L the same size as the 900? I also need a helmet mount, is the Magicshine mount the one to get or is there something better? I remember reading awhile back about how the velcro wasn't designed right or something. Is it still the case?
    They are the same lighthead case just different leds and the stock helmet mount works fine I have it on 4 helmets with no issues.
    I always type in bold cuz I'm blind as a bat
    For the Rich there is therapy!!!! for the rest of us we have Mountain Biking

trail rat
    I bought the 2300 combo special (1400 + 900) last fall, but I don't see it listed now. Run the 1400 on the bars and the 900 on my helmet. I use the 900 for road commutes 15 miles between towns - cars flash their lights to get me to dim it. Offroad, I zap bugs out of the air and singe the brush as i ride by.

O' course I am old and night blind, so mega lumens is good for me.
    "The physician heals, Nature makes well" - real fortune cookie

CCCMB trail work for trail access - SLO, CA

Its got what plants crave
    Buy a torch for the helmet and run a new XML Magicshine on the bars. No wires FTW.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    Buy a torch for the helmet and run a new XML Magicshine on the bars. No wires FTW.
    yeah i guess that was one of my original idea, no wires and less weight. I would be just using the original 900 and possible sell the 2nd battery to fund the torch purchase.

Lots of options out there and I was just seeing what you guys come up with for best bang with least out of pocket expense.

Its got what plants crave
    Man you don't need to sell much to fund a torch, I bet you could get one for 40 bucks or so with charger and batteries. I just picked up a 20 dollar XML torch from DX and it's great. I run it on the helmet and it would be fine alone, but I have a backup torch mounted on the bars as well and it's a good setup, and lightweight.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    I need a bit more guidance from the torch experts here.

I will keep the 900 on the bar with the 6.0 battery. I want something helmet mounted that has a self contained battery meaning I don't want to carry in a pocket a 2nd separate battery that will power this lamp.

Can I reasonable get something that is lightweight, easy to helmet mount, around $50 - possibly $75 in cost? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    Agreed.