Trail LED batteries or a similar light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Trail LED batteries or a similar light

I have a Trail LED DS (I think, 3 LEDs). I love it for 24 hour solo racing as I get 13 hours @ 900 lumin. I would like a 2nd battery pack but the company closed up from what I understand. Does anyone know where I can pick one up, or how to make my own?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a comparable light?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    I have a Trail LED DS (I think, 3 LEDs). I love it for 24 hour solo racing as I get 13 hours @ 900 lumin. I would like a 2nd battery pack but the company closed up from what I understand. Does anyone know where I can pick one up, or how to make my own?

Or does anyone have a recommendation for a comparable light?
    A while back I remember looking at the Trail LED lights and remember that they utilized a rather large battery. I can't remember what voltage they required so you need to know that. You can buy battery packs of different voltages and capacities but you definitely need to know the voltage and capacity of the battery you currently own. You can probably order the battery you need using the quality cells of your choice from Ebay seller, "Hunk Lee" but the next issue will be the type of connector that is used with the lamp that you have. Vaguely I think I remember that the TrailLED lamps used a custom connector so you might have to install the required connector yourself assuming of course you can procure a connector that is a match to the one you have. There are many types of electrical connectors sold on the web. You may be able to buy one but it might take a while to find the exact match. Worse case you could probably have a battery built at a local battery store and perhaps they could find the correct connector for you. Once again, if you can't find the correct connectors you could always replace the connector on the lamp to a more conventional connector although that does require some basic electronic / DIY skills. ( keep in mind if you change connectors you will have to replace the one on the charger too. )

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Right on, good info! Ill look into it...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Try Mouser.com
    something like this
    https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...YaAhwIEALw_wcB

You can find the matching connector easy enough. Not 100% sure but is you call contact mouser with exact measurements they can probably match the connectors.

Grady posted his connectors here on MTBR about 8 years ago when he quit making the Darkstar lights. It is here somewhere, but the search function isn't going back that far.

Batteries are around 18.5 volts. Batteryspace.com carries many that would work. You probably would want to buy one of their chargers though. That fast charger that came with your light set is a beast and I would only trust it with batteries supplied by Grady. Not sure if he used lithium ion or lithium polymer in his newer batteries. Regardless get the new charger unless Grady chimes in and give you the go ahead to use a specific battery with his charger.

Best of luck.
    ODT

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also great info! Thanks so much.