Time to try night riding.- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Time to try night riding.

Aight so besides coming home from work, yet to ride at night. Wanting to start trying put trail riding at night. I dont ride anything really technical. Just Midwest xc single track. Won't be out set personal records or anything, just something to increase available trail time and for fun. So something crazy for lights, I dont need.

Money is tight, some high priced light set up outta the question.

So far i have a set of the solarstorm 4cell cases on the way. The ones with USB and such (though plan to remove USB set up from them). Been reading the threads on them so I knew what I was buying.

Goal is 2 hr run time on a pack for each bar and head lamps. Hoping my ideas are close.

No immediate plans to mod lights besides installing thermal paste since all chinese lights seem to lack that.

I do prefer minimal size on helmet set up, was thinking one of these and a 2 cell case with quality cells/highest capacity I can afford. Do use hydro pack for 99% of my trail rides, so pack storage is easy enough.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022856

If I understand correctly spot light for head , more flood for bars.

Bars I was looking at one of:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C2M...=AC_SY200_QL40

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JO9...ing+bike+light

Seem to be about even output but second seems to have better optics. I know batteries are about crap, I have a BC6 smart charger I use for the single led type on I got off amazon a couple seasons ago, so I will just use the "crap stock" packs for my commuter since my commute etc till they die.

Thoughts on light choices for trail riding on budget. I'd rather spend the money on good cells over crazy fancy lights. I can go "more light" on helmet if needed but really like that little one (style, angel ring, etc).

Perpetual n00b
    Just get one of these and be done with it: Universal Cycles -- NiteRider Lumina 750 USB Headlight - 2015
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

RAKC
    Where's the fun in that??? Lol. This is me were talking about, that one light ain't going to be enough, I hit my head of enough crap in the daylight.

Not to mention the fact, when do I do things the EASY WAY??? This is another "skill to learn" for me ;-p

Perpetual n00b
    Yea just had to get my future "told ya so" post in there lol

I use the 750 on my helmet with a 650 on my handlebar on the low setting on climbs and flats, and crank up the lumens for the downhill brah. This is technical single track, however, with exposure and gnar galore so being able to see is difference between life and death. Back in the QC I used a whopping 250 lumen Serfas light for 3 years and it got me by just fine. Not sure why you would need a bajillion lumens just to light up some trees better, it's not gonna give you any more sight distance.

More lumens for longer sight distances, higher speed, shorter ride time (desert, downhill), less lumens for shorter sight distances, lower speed, and longer ride times (forest, uphill, flats, road).
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

RAKC
    I kinda figured lol. 250.... The thing I have now is rated 1000, think I got half that before battery took a crap, and that felt like enough for pavement, path, etc but didn't like it when things got narrow, even with trying wide angle lens or changing the reflector. I know what im looking at is possibly overkill for the bars at least, but the little thing for my helmet is just cool, have a thing for "angel eye" lights.

Oh and I love tinkering with LED set ups (scale rc rock crawls days, use to build them up myself), but these new things with pucks and drivers....gives me an excuse to tinker/learn when I go down for elbow surgery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    That looks like a perfect budget setup actually. If you want to save a few bucks on the bar light these seem to be the same lighthead
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JUF...s=mudder+xm-l2

RAKC
    Well the "brand choice" was due to long ass review about it, yinding/securitying. Concern lies in reliability of a version I can't find info on. Still digging through the subs seeing what info I can dig up cause light (without batteries) I can get at KD along with the little one and save a bit there possibly. Amazon is kinda my go to (to start with anyway) since most Chinese lights are also under prime

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Someone on these forums recently purchased this version but I can't remember who it was. I bought the securitying version and have to say it is surprisingly good though I haven't put any riding time on it due to the snow here. I have used it quite a bit while doing construction though and it has been great. I also have Gemini and gloworm but this doesn't disappoint. I may take a stab at the mudder version just to see if it is indeed the same

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    tigriss, the Siver Grey and Yellow model of KD Angel Eye you picked out has a diffusing lens which will put out a very wide beam. At the bottom of that page you will find a link to the other, Black with Red spot version without the diffuser. That one is probably what you would want if you intend to mount the KD on your helmet. Good place for the Angel Eye too, because the glow ring part is not adjustable in brightness, just has steady On and Pulse. Both are near blinding to look at, and shine almost 360º. OTOH you could get a single one to mount on your bars just for the wide angle, and save the glow ring mode for emergency use. That would give you a stylishly matching pair of light heads for under $28. I agree with manbeer on the mudder though; you'll get everything you need for the bars at only $22. Nice thing about dual/multiple emmitters is they run more efficiently than singles — i.e. you get more lumens per watt.

That Yinding package from GearBest also gets good reviews as per the battery, reports have it running up to 2 1/2 hrs on High. Personally though, I wouln't want to guarantee the cell pack, think it might still be a crap shoot but I only have personal experience with the two ounce light head, which is superb. Still, I'd go with the $22 Mudder were I in your position, for the quick delivery time and killer price. Same package on KD is around $40 and got a pretty good review from ledoman here. Light head might need a little attention before use but it sounds like you are into that anyway. Also, since you could get it so quick, you'd have a chance to test out the batteries right away. If they give you a decent runtime then you might not need to invest so heavily in extra packs.

Just my three cents. Enjoy your ride!

Flash! - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Aight so besides coming home from work, yet to ride at night. Wanting to start trying put trail riding at night. I dont ride anything really technical. Just Midwest xc single track. Won't be out set personal records or anything, just something to increase available trail time and for fun. So something crazy for lights, I dont need.

Money is tight, some high priced light set up outta the question.

So far i have a set of the solarstorm 4cell cases on the way. The ones with USB and such (though plan to remove USB set up from them). Been reading the threads on them so I knew what I was buying.

Goal is 2 hr run time on a pack for each bar and head lamps. Hoping my ideas are close.

No immediate plans to mod lights besides installing thermal paste since all chinese lights seem to lack that.

I do prefer minimal size on helmet set up, was thinking one of these and a 2 cell case with quality cells/highest capacity I can afford. Do use hydro pack for 99% of my trail rides, so pack storage is easy enough.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S022856

If I understand correctly spot light for head , more flood for bars.

Bars I was looking at one of:

SecurityIng Waterproof 2800 Lumens XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light 4 Modes Super Bright Lighting Lamp Bike Lamp Headlight with 8.4V Rechargeable Battery Pack and Charger for Camping, Cycling, Hiking, Riding - Black:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof 2300 Lumens XM-L U2 LED Bicycle Light Cool White Rotatable Bike Light LED Lighting Lamp with 8.4V 4400mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Battery Pack & Charger:Amazon:Sports & Outdoors

Seem to be about even output but second seems to have better optics. I know batteries are about crap, I have a BC6 smart charger I use for the single led type on I got off amazon a couple seasons ago, so I will just use the "crap stock" packs for my commuter since my commute etc till they die.

Thoughts on light choices for trail riding on budget. I'd rather spend the money on good cells over crazy fancy lights. I can go "more light" on helmet if needed but really like that little one (style, angel ring, etc).
    From the lamps you linked to; I'd go with the two lamps from Amazon. I'd recommend using the SSX2 clone on the lid and Duo clone on the bars. X2 clone is very light weight and makes a good helmet lamp due to the two reflectors. It's two mini reflectors will be much more useful than the single ( angel ring ) lamp. The Duo clone on the bars uses optics, better for more even beam pattern closer to the bike.

Now if you don't mind waiting 16-18 days to get your lamps you can buy the same lamps cheaper and with better emitters. Then again with the Amazon purchase you usually get faster shipping and a better guarantee. Both of the the Amazon lamps are using the XML U2 emitter, not bad but the lamps with XM-L2 or XP-L emitters are going to be a bit brighter. Then again someone not really into these lamps might not even be able to tell the difference. Go with what seems to make the most sense to you.

I like turtles
    IMHO the best budg-o setup currently is:

Solarstorm X2 on the helmet, Yinding from gearbest (see mega-thread...use code "YINDING") on the bar. Should be in for less than $50. The Solarstorm is not a great bar light...way to spotty but works brilliantly on the helmet.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ahh yes that's what I forgot to mention. The current dual emitter lamps (x2, kd2, yinding etc) are actually lighter and lower profile than the first single xm-l that you linked so you may be better omitting that one in favor of one of the others. I actually had to get rid of my mj808 on the helmet originally due to the high mount and weight bothering my neck on longer rides

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't have a scale here but honestly can't tell much of a difference in weight between my Yinding and KD Angel Eye, though the latter is like 60% longer. Power/mode buttons are about equally stiff to the touch on the two lamp heads, slightly more shallow silicone boot on the YD not so great when wearing winter gloves. Still the KD should both fit and operate fine on any helmet mount and on bars of course there's no issue, it is perfectly balanced. Diffused model has way wider beam pattern than the Yinding, and the spot version could only be tighter. Default Yinding is mid range, 15º. That said, I'd still go with a pair of the YDs over any other combo imaginable, because: available from GearBest in Neutral White XM-L2 3C and: low cost replacement optics from FastTech easily convert to your choice of narrower or wider beam (though the elliptical lense on the KD cannot be beat.) Single XM-L2 on the KD is bright enough, am just not loving the Cool White tint.

Anyway, those glow rings on the two models of KD's Angel Eyes are great for commuting but perhaps unnecessary on the trail. Not a bad lamp combo for someone who already has their own battery packs and charger, doesn't care one way or another about CW versus NW, and is looking for a tight spot + wide angle hemet/bar combo right out of the gate for absolutely the lowest cost. But Yinding probably the best value over all for MTB.

RAKC
    I did order the angel light (and a tail light) last night. Its cheap and cool, gotta try it. Light color, if i find NW i like better, cant be hard to change emitter puck. The thing I have now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MN7...RyL&ref=plSrch
    Emitter is easy as hell to change if I wanted to. Can't figure others would be any more difficult besides just more disassembly to gain access.

I have this "less are cool" thing so finding all this stuff at non-retarded prices (sorry but $200.....talk about getting rich off LED bike lights), so cheap and parts so I can tinker. And I have my 8yr old who like riding after dark too so I can set him up cheaply too.

Yinding on gearbest only 900lm, not sure if the 2300-2800 is close to true, maybe dont need that much. But what the bar lights are pointed at I want LIT UP.

Thnx for the info, keep it coming. Giving me more ideas/options, especially since supplied batteries mean crap to me, maybe ill find a few good cells in the mix lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    tigris, that 900 lumen thing on GearBest is a complete typo on their part, though it is probably accurate in the real world. Lumen claims on Chinese cheapos are generally wildly exaggerated, but my NW Yinding is still noticeably brighter than the "1100 lumen" KD Angel Eye with diffuser.

Yeah I've got a coulple of those MagicShine MJ-808 clones too and they are incredibly easy to open, plan on upgrading them to NW XM-L2s once I've got the skinny on correct size star. Haven't figured out how to get the bezel off the KD yet, so if you figure out the trick please let me know. SMOs and XM-L2 LED probably on same board though, so not swappable, you'd have to reflow the emitter if you wanted to replace it with a NW. Kind of a cramped space for that but would love to see you try!

Also tigris, have you considered this http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S023818 ? Similar two NW emitters to the Yinding, maybe not as warm (Yinding QC kind of a mixed bag that way so far) but the circuitry runs a little higher so the light shines a bit brighter. Comes with reflectors, not part of the original MJ-880 optical design that this KD otherwise copies. Thus its beam has very hot spot and is also a bit ringy, BUT: again, can easily and cheaply swap out relfectors for optics of your choice, including ellipticals or what ever. KD beast is probably twice the size and weight of the YD so thermal management better advantaged but I wouldn't recommend it on the noggin. Sweet part is the two-button interface, you don't have to pass through Off (or Strobe) when cycling through modes. Very stylish as well, with the curved SS faceplate. I love my Silver model and am about to order a slew of new optics for both it and a Black one that USPS is currently kicking around for me.
    Last edited by andychrist; 03-01-2015 at 12:59 PM.

mtbr member
    ...I did order the angel light (and a tail light) last night. Its cheap and cool, gotta try it.
    Well, don't know if you'll like this as a helmet lamp. The one you linked to was the model with the dispersion lens. It was designed for bar use. They do make a standard model though without the dispersion lens.

Anyway, the single Angel eye will likely work good for your kids or for the commuter set-up.

Both of the Duo clones that were talked about ( your link and the one to the Mudder ), are both likely the same clone as the one I bought from K/D. Only difference is the emitter. Looks like the one from Mudder might have the XM-L2. If so I'd order that one. Both though should have the 10-level sub menu.

I can't recommend the SSX2 over the single Angel type lamp enough as I really like the SStorm lamps ( value, size and output wise ). However since you already have the Angel lamp ordered if you decide to up grade later I highly suggest getting the SSX2 ( or X3 ) from Lightmalls ( with XP-L emitters ). Believe me, I've used both the X2 and X3 on the helmet and weight wise both are very lite. The X3 on the helmet will blow the single emitter lamps out of the water and do it with a nice wide hot area and decent throw. I've not seen the SSX2 yet with upgraded emitters but I figure even if they use the same driver the ones with XP-L ( or XM-L2 ) are going to be brighter.

Even if there's not much difference between the old and newer emitters brighter is always better because that means the lower levels will be not only be brighter but more efficient and useable as well. The old SSX2 I own I found usable on the medium mode for most riding. The newer ones with XP-L ( or XM-L2 ) can only be better.

*Sheeesh*, I'm going frinking nuts. Snow, sleet, arctic temps...cabin fever and talk about bike lights... I need to ride! Been telling myself since last year I need to buy me a set of studded winter tires for the MTB. If only those tires didn't cost over a $100 ea. and I didn't have to spend that $1300 for that recent car repair...*sigh*...I'd have me those tires, NOW! Sadly, I'm in debt till spring.

RAKC
    I said screw it, ordered some off brand cycling pants off amazon, which btw are awesome, and wen out just cruising around town today. Sunny but cold, lots of snow but roads clr. Good enough to get outta the house lol.

As for the light, I actually plan on buying both versions, for $13 why not. But what I ride I wooded area so not much for site distance, need more area coverage over how far out I can see. I'll be trying both though and having extras to set boy up too will be awesome. Hoping the angel eye ones can possibly get good run times off 2 cell high mah pack since weight matters more too him than me.

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by andychrist View Post
    tigris, that 900 lumen thing on GearBest is a complete typo on their part, though it is probably accurate in the real world. Lumen claims on Chinese cheapos are generally wildly exaggerated, but my NW Yinding is still noticeably brighter than the "1100 lumen" KD Angel Eye with diffuser.

Yeah I've got a coulple of those MagicShine MJ-808 clones too and they are incredibly easy to open, plan on upgrading them to NW XM-L2s once I've got the skinny on correct size star. Haven't figured out how to get the bezel off the KD yet, so if you figure out the trick please let me know. SMOs and XM-L2 LED probably on same board though, so not swappable, you'd have to reflow the emitter if you wanted to replace it with a NW. Kind of a cramped space for that but would love to see you try!

Also tigris, have you considered this http://www.kaidomain.com/Product/Details.S023818 ? Similar two NW emitters to the Yinding, maybe not as warm (Yinding QC kind of a mixed bag that way so far) but the circuitry runs a little higher so the light shines a bit brighter. Comes with reflectors, not part of the original MJ-880 optical design that this KD otherwise copies. Thus its beam has very hot spot and is also a bit ringy, BUT: again, can easily and cheaply swap out relfectors for optics of your choice, including ellipticals or what ever. KD beast is probably twice the size and weight of the YD so thermal management better advantaged but I wouldn't recommend it on the noggin. Sweet part is the two-button interface, you don't have to pass through Off (or Strobe) when cycling through modes. Very stylish as well, with the curved SS faceplate. I love my Silver model and am about to order a slew of new optics for both it and a Black one that USPS is currently kicking around for me.

I was looking at those lights couldn't find info on them yet, still learning emitter designations etc. I like the style of them. Not sure how much flood there though.

I dont mind changing optics and such to change beam, just gotta figure out what does what, sizes available vs light options. Not wanting to wait a month to get optics for a light if I can order up some options to try with the light.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I was looking at those lights couldn't find info on them yet, still learning emitter designations etc. I like the style of them. Not sure how much flood there though.

I dont mind changing optics and such to change beam, just gotta figure out what does what, sizes available vs light options. Not wanting to wait a month to get optics for a light if I can order up some options to try with the light.
    Ellipticals to fit the KD MJ-880 clone are available from site sponser Action-LED, but they are ~$5 each from them.

Action LED Lights - Brilliant lighting for all your biking & outdoor sporting activities.

Also available I think from FastTech and maybe LED-DNA for cheap if you don't mind waiting the same length of time to get them as for the light head itself at KD. ;-)

The XM-L2 SolarStorms Cat mentioned are also fine, not sure how easy to mod though. GearBest has them in Neutral White. But they will be a LOT heavier than the single Angel Eye you got from KD. Am sure your kid must be thrilled with it. Gonna let him bring it to school? Classmates will go gaga...

RAKC
    Well just now ordering lights, well the angel and a tail light, ordered battery cases (4x solar storm ones) from GB. That's as far as I am atm. Gotta wait another week and a half, then order more. Other angel (spot version) and whatever I decide on for bar light. Once I sort out which angel eye I like better I can order optics to convert other one hopefully, and whatever bar light for him. In a battle for visitation atm, long story short, 8.5yrs of almost every weekend, whole summers etc, she flips her lid and needs to be in a mental ward, disappeared with him. So I got 2-3 more months before its sorted, time to figure lights out and have stuff ready for him by summer break. His friends already freak over the Trek I built him last yr.

So many options, now I have at least a reference for the pics they use in descriptions that shows light pattern.

But now is how to maximize flood but stay bright as possible. single thing I linked that I own I got an action led wide lens and flood reflector but that orange peel reflector costs me alot of light, it doesn't fit right, too far from emitter.

How do I figure out what size lens/optics etc fit the light head short of waiting till I get the lights and measuring????

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yeah I was not too thrilled with how the plastic Action diffuser worked in my 808 with the OP reflector, think they're kind of at cross purposes. But the hardened glass diffuser for the 880 should fit the KD clone and give terrific results, it is tailor made for that style of light head. There is even an elliptical from FT or LM that will fit the Yinding, think it might need an additional O-ring for depth though. Check out the Original Yinding Found thread, they've just been posting about it, seems like all the rage!

RAKC
    Do the yinding and all the light heads that size use same size lens and such?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ask in the Yinding thread. Think they are all pretty close but you might need to order a specific optic of the exact right depth for the Yinding. I've not messed around with mine yet so can't say anything for sure.

mtbr member
    I have that KD "angel eyes" light (bought from FastTech and it came with the standard lens not the diffusing one). On the good side it has very good heatsinking, just needs thermal paste. On the bad side low mode is way too to use while riding, I find the buttons a little hard to use, and the ring lights are extremely distracting (unless it's helmet mounted). I think I posted pics (including beamshots) in the Ultrafire MT-05s thread (EDIT- Nope, but I posted my impressions. I know I have beamshots somewhere). Oh, and it uses a 21mm wide lens, so standard 20mm optics are most likely too loose to fit. High gives 2.0A to the LED, probably about 600 lumens. The stock glass lens on mine is terrible giving 18% drop in output! KD sells an AR coated ultra clear lens in 21mm to fit I believe.

I'd stay away from an SS X2. I took a chance on one from Amazon and it was complete garbage - no heatsinking and way under-driven. I'm sure the good X2's are gone.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Garry, what's the secret to getting the bezel off the angel eye?

And I take it you were never able to get a replacement diffusing lens for yours?

RAKC
    Omg my brain hurts lol!!! More I dig, more options I find. All the "clone references" I have to try and sort out which light being referred to outta the ones ive posted. Need to start a database or something lol.

Consensus, neutral white better, can't argue there cause normal flashlight vs cool white, cool white give me a headache after a while.

Oh and I hate the wide "strip" of light thing of "wide angle lens". Ya great when its way in front of you but I need to see ground a few feet I front of my bike too lol.

Also seeing that the glass optics thing tends to have more of a hot spot that well light up area. And for bars I want area, so thinking one with op reflector or diffusing lens. kd has 2x l2 u2 with the arched heat sink looking body, NW light that might fit the bill if I can sort out lens/reflector size.

Batteries easy enough to sort out it seems. Panasonic 3400mah cells (freaking things ain't cheap but figure wth). For boys bike ill probably make a couple 2 cell packs with protected cells. His needed run time, 1-1.5 MAX (includes us goofing off while taking a water break), me could see 2-2.5 if I catch group ride. His needed light, lower as he's not near as fast or gets as ballsy as I do. YET anyway.

Wanted to get my bc6 charger out for these, but still working out HOW. Basic battery box, re-wire for balance lead (once I remember how, used to do lipos no problem but think fumes from mistakes while learning cost me the skill learned, gotta start over)

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    For batteries, at least consider the Samsung 2600s. You can buy eight of them for less than the price of four Pannasonics.

mtbr member
    Garry, what's the secret to getting the bezel off the angel eye?

And I take it you were never able to get a replacement diffusing lens for yours?
    If I remember you use tweezers (or something similar) to grab inside the front grooves and unscrew it. The trickier part is trying to get the pill out - I never did as it required removing the power cable. Even though the stock emitter board has the XM-L2 and the ring LEDs all on the same board you can trim that apart and separate the ring LEDs from the XM-L2 section and then replace that XM-L2 with a 16mm board with LED of your choice.

I gave up on replacing the lens/optic as I lost interest in that light.

Here is my PhotoBucket Gallery with a few teardown pics of the light. I'm not finding any beamshots though. It's more of a floody light with that small reflector.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Ok, I just found beamshot pics of the MT-05s ("Angel Eyes") on my PC and uploaded them to the above gallery. This is after it was modded to Neutral White 5B1 tint. Here they are:

High:

Med:

Low:

Ring Light Only:

RAKC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    For batteries, at least consider the Samsung 2600s. You can buy eight of them for less than the price of four Pannasonics.

That would depend on run time with 2x XM-L2 U2 Neutral whites. If I get the Angel eye gtg for helmet lamp then less mah is fine. I plan to try multiple cells over time but not sure 2600mah will run bar light as long as i want between charges.

Thnx for the info though, I only had Sanyo and Panasonic on my options for cells, ill add these to the least too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Based upon the current that they draw in stock form, I would say that the Samsung 2600's would be good for a 3 hour runtime on high, so you should be good there (that's in a 4 cell setup btw, not sure if you were looking for 2 cell)

RAKC
    Well cheaper is better when it comes to budget. If I can get 2hrs on high on a dual xm-l2 head (stock KD neutral white light) then means I can cut cell cost by half. Means Ill have fund to come up with better bar mount option. I have this symmetrical issue, so want to do stem mount so light sits centered, just gotta sort it out.

Btw I was wrong, didn't put my order through for the angel light, thought I did, so switched it to spot version and going with this for bar light.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023818

I was gonna go yinding clone but its a spot, so means extra work for making a bar light, and this one has better heat management (once thermal paste added). And reflector is already OP so should be gtg for now.

Probably try the yinding at some point later, but budget limits "testing" things at this point.

Just wish they made a decent and cheap 2 cell case.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have this symmetrical issue, so want to do stem mount so light sits centered, just gotta sort it out.

I was gonna go yinding clone but its a spot, so means extra work for making a bar light, and this one has better heat management (once thermal paste added). And reflector is already OP so should be gtg for now.
    The real Yinding is much more floody than that KD, which has an intense hotspot. Driver supplies more power than the YD's, that's what its bulky, heavily finned case is all about. As mentioned though, you should be able to swap out the OP reflectors with wider angle optics if you are willing to do a little extra work.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/384262...57651076813781

Check out post #143 on that KD 880 clone thread, was a guy there who mounted it to the center of his stem with just the included O-ring. Of course it takes a bar setup of a certain design, don't think it could work on every bike but gonna try it on one of mine!

IMG_1567_zpsc8bdae3b.jpg Photo by lesoudeur | Photobucket

RAKC
    Looking at the hotspot I dunno if Ill mess with it or not, its not as bad as others Ive seen lol.

I'm thinking something more of a gopro mount adapter possibly dunno yet, that stock oring way im not even sure how without taking bars off lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looking at the hotspot I dunno if Ill mess with it or not, its not as bad as others Ive seen lol.

I'm thinking something more of a gopro mount adapter possibly dunno yet, that stock oring way im not even sure how without taking bars off lol.
    Yeah I'm sure you'd have to take off the bars momentarily. Not such a big deal, IMHO.

KDMJ880-HI_zps4282cbaa.jpg Photo by kuzmami | Photobucket

RAKC
    Dont wanna take bars on and off all the time or leave the band dancing around when not in use lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I have that KD "angel eyes" light (bought from FastTech and it came with the standard lens not the diffusing one). On the good side it has very good heatsinking, just needs thermal paste. On the bad side low mode is way too to use while riding, I find the buttons a little hard to use, and the ring lights are extremely distracting (unless it's helmet mounted). I think I posted pics (including beamshots) in the Ultrafire MT-05s thread (EDIT- Nope, but I posted my impressions. I know I have beamshots somewhere). Oh, and it uses a 21mm wide lens, so standard 20mm optics are most likely too loose to fit. High gives 2.0A to the LED, probably about 600 lumens. The stock glass lens on mine is terrible giving 18% drop in output! KD sells an AR coated ultra clear lens in 21mm to fit I believe.

I'd stay away from an SS X2. I took a chance on one from Amazon and it was complete garbage - no heatsinking and way under-driven. I'm sure the good X2's are gone.

-Garry
    I got one that was a Thorfire SS X2 copy, and had a similar experience. New, right out of the box and for the first four rides, I was digging it on my helmet. I didn't even have a bar light on board, and I was fine...riding some pretty technical single track, although nothing burly. I hit some speeds up to 20 mph, and some rocky rooty sections, and I felt comfortable with the light output.

Then five rides in...it perma-stuck on low . Camping light now.

I hate that, because I think if I could get my hands on a good one, I would prefer it on my helmet over any other lights I've tried.

But...it does pique my curiosity regarding a narrower lens on a Yinding, and trying that on my dome. I think I've had more weight in mud on my helmet than that Yinding!!

A pair of Yinding's with the right lenses, paired with some nice Xeccon batteries....would probably be tough to beat in value and performance. That's assuming the thermal properties are up to snuff as advertised.

RAKC
    Well gearbest hit top of my list for places to buy from, dhl isn't over priced so tried that route for my ss battery cases, ordered last weekend, here in the morning. Too bad KD charges a retarded amount for DHL.

ANd FFS, everytime I think I found a light for the bars I like...find some issue. the KD light has a heat transfer problem due to body design. Fixable but a blown resister can come from it, ya I can fix that, but do I want to....

FFS this is turning out to be MUCH more difficult than I planned.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Imo- solarstorm x2 and yinding are the proven performers of the group. You will probably find the most consistency with them and really can't go wrong. Throw in a few pairs of the Samsung cells and it's still well under 100 bucks for the two lights and cells. If you feel like taking a gamble, I would look no further than the mudder version of the kd2. At 22.99 for the whole shebang on amazon it's hard to beat...who knows, the battery may even be ok for the time being

RAKC
    Ya beginning to think staying with those 2 is going to be best. It seems to be an $8-$10 difference from the yindings and solarstorms to their clones.

Slowly starting to sway to yinding for helmet and SS X3 for bars. Found both at GB just head only and neutral white.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Slowly starting to sway to yinding for helmet and SS X3 for bars. Found both at GB just head only and neutral white.
    Both solid choices. But considering their inherent beam patterns, you might be better off reversing your intended usage. SS X3 is a bit more powerful and spotty than the Yinding so works better on the noggin. Off the shelf Yinding is more floody, so preferable on the bars. Guess either light head could be modded to perform as needed, which would make sense just because of their respective weights. SS is built like a tank! Gotta be careful though with that Yinding, in the event of a crash you might swallow it.

RAKC
    . SS is built like a tank! Gotta be careful though with the Yinding, in the event of a crash you might swallow it.

Ya I saw the size pics of the yinding, that thing is ridiculously small. Which is why im headed that way for the lid. Saw some beam pics of it, looks plenty spotty for me. And with the mega thread I have access to mods no problem. Solarstorm x3 I found lights the trail up like crazy (review thread by cat).

Now trying to figure out where the Sanyo cells are so much cheaper than Panasonics

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ya beginning to think staying with those 2 is going to be best. It seems to be an $8-$10 difference from the yindings and solarstorms to their clones.

Dunno about that one man. I think I would echo Andy. The Yinding doesn't really have a defined bright spot, which is better for your helmet. It's really diffuse. The pictures someone posted with that nice ellipse on the wall HAD to have the light close to the wall, because from as little as 15 feet, you don't see a defined pattern with that light. Just a nice evenly spread beam, which I feel is IDEAL for a bar light. It's easy on the boards to get enamored with spread, but my experience is that on single track, you don't need beam width NEARLY as much as you need good solid light out in front of you. Wasted intensity for spread is not a good trade off IMO.

A good bright spot out there well in front of you is a big key for anticipation and confidence, and with the stock lenses, that's not the Yinding's forte. In fact, if I knew I could get a good one, I would MUCH prefer a SS X2 (haven't tried an SS X3) on my helmet, because it has a nice combination of a bright spot, and pretty good peripheral lighting.

If there's a better bar light out there for the money than the Yinding, I'd like to see it. Helmet light with stock lenses...not good IMO. Not bright enough at the required distance.

HOWEVER, earlier someone mentioned lenses to narrow the beam for a Yinding. I'm going to look into that option, because having that tiny booger on my helmet with a nice bright spot and some decent spread would be very hard to beat for a dual set up in terms of light output to weight ratio.

I will say this though. There's all this talk about these new Yindings, and that they're assembled well, etc. From what I can see though, there hasn't been a ton of trail testing, and I'll be interested to see how mine holds up with how hot they get. I've been on one ride with it, and it was short and on paved trails (snow, mud, terrible here)...wikth no issues, but I'll be interested to see if the electronics can hold up to that kind of heat long term. By comparison, my Xeccon Sogn 900 and S12 Two don't get NEARLY that hot.

One other thing to consider. Look at what you're going to pay for a Chinese light head and a Xeccon battery. Then look at the cost from mtbrevolution.com for the S12 Two in the link below. I think having one light and battery combo that you know you can trust has some intrinsic value. For my local rides, Chinese stuff is fine. Longer rides away from local...sketchy. I could ride anywhere with just this helmet light, and not slow down much at all. You're talking about a minimal difference in cost when it all really boils down. Leonard is a poster on this board, and my experience with mtbrevolution has been great.

Xeccon S12 Two MTB Helmet Spot Light

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Ya I saw the size pics of the yinding, that thing is ridiculously small. Which is why im headed that way for the lid. Saw some beam pics of it, looks plenty spotty for me. And with the mega thread I have access to mods no problem. Solarstorm x3 I found lights the trail up like crazy (review thread by cat).

Now trying to figure out where the Sanyo cells are so much cheaper than Panasonics
    I'm tellin' ya...that picture of the spot on the Yinding is misleading. That light had to be with 10 feet of the wall in that picture. Seriously. That nice defined ellipse is NOT visible in normal use unless you just pointed it at the ground. That's why you have to be careful with these "beam shots" that are in the threads.

I don't think you would be pleased. If I put the Yinding on my bars, and my S12 Two on my helmet, the bright spot from the S12 Two's intensity will BLOW it away...not even close.

My only feedback would be...Yinding for the bars, unless you're going to put some different lenses in it to narrow the beam. Too diffuse. I think some others will be along shortly to back me on that. I think Andy under-sold how much the Yinding is not ideal for the helmet. Tempting...because of the weight, which is why I am going to look into the lenses when I have time.

mtbr member
    ....Now trying to figure out where the Sanyo cells are so much cheaper than Panasonics
    Likely anywhere but Fasttech is usually the place quoted the most.

RAKC
    Ah ok, now that makes sense.

Guess I just need to figure out optics change unless GB has a good light for the lid. The X3 for the bars with lens change seems to be right what im looking at. 3400mah cells (Panasonic) for that sounds perfect, guess I need to read up/ask in yinding thread whats needed to change to better helmet light.

Wish I had more money, just buy a few different lights and "test" lol. Nothing beats "hands on"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ah ok, now that makes sense.

Guess I just need to figure out optics change unless GB has a good light for the lid. The X3 for the bars with lens change seems to be right what im looking at. 3400mah cells (Panasonic) for that sounds perfect, guess I need to read up/ask in yinding thread whats needed to change to better helmet light.

Wish I had more money, just buy a few different lights and "test" lol. Nothing beats "hands on"
    You might want to ascertain first whether anybody here has managed to get the face plate off the GB SS X3. Mine was delivered with a cracked side lens (fortunately the shipping insurance covered it and GB is graciously sending me a replacement); trying to repair it myself, found the puniest hex key on my metric set was not small enough to fit. Had to go with my cell phone repair kit and still could not budge the tiny little set screws, the inset heads perhaps having already been driven too hard and stripped during assembly. I know someone posted in an earlier thread about having modded the lenses of his X3, but that might have been a different generation still having philips head or whatever.

If you could deal with the weight (and honestly, don't think I could), best helmet light might be the NW SolarStorm XT-40. Thing has tremendous throw, would combine well with the SS X3 or even better yet of course with the Yinding.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=NWAtrailyguy;11818337]I'm tellin' ya...that picture of the spot on the Yinding is misleading. That light had to be with 10 feet of the wall in that picture. Seriously. That nice defined ellipse is NOT visible in normal use unless you just pointed it at the ground. That's why you have to be careful with these "beam shots" that are in the threads.

If your referring to my post with the Gloworm optics your correct, 8' 6" to be exact. I also wouldn't consider the Yinding to have a spot or a flood beam pattern, more of a all around good compromise width. I'm going to try to go out tonight with 2 Gloworm spot optics in the Yinding . I'll let you know how that works out.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    [QUOTE=MRMOLE;11818707]
    Quote Originally Posted by NWAtrailyguy View Post
    I'm tellin' ya...that picture of the spot on the Yinding is misleading. That light had to be with 10 feet of the wall in that picture. Seriously. That nice defined ellipse is NOT visible in normal use unless you just pointed it at the ground. That's why you have to be careful with these "beam shots" that are in the threads.

If your referring to my post with the Gloworm optics your correct, 8' 6" to be exact. I also wouldn't consider the Yinding to have a spot or a flood beam pattern, more of a all around good compromise width. I'm going to try to go out tonight with 2 Gloworm spot optics in the Yinding . I'll let you know how that works out.
    Mole
    Thanks Mr Mole. That should more than answer my questions in the other post about how the spot optics fit, and look in the Yinding. I guess the only remaining question will be regarding longevity of the light head with the heat it produces, and only time will answer that.

I hope you didn't think I was knocking your post. I REALLY appreciate your contributions to the threads. I just knew from experience with mine that it had to be pretty close to the wall to get that pattern.

I'll be eager to read your impressions, and thanks again for sharing!

RAKC
    Mole, Im relying on your optics tests myself,lol. Giving me good info on what to expect since look like im going easiest/known route first (buy others to play with later if I feel need for improvements)

Well from all info it almost sounds like:

Yinding on bars (maybe with one gloworm flood optic), Yinding with Gloworm spot optics on lid.

Thats the conclusion im coming to based on everything. Would be simplest and easiest route to start with, maybe be GTG form there. And honestly, upgrading shouldnt be too hard.

Glad I just did this thread vs going out and buying the lights i started out after. Still get the angels later (their cool,lol). Rapidly getting up to speed on these newer LED types (vs the old school LEDs lol) and all the fun to go with them.

Ya these came today. Now just to sort out how to eliminate the USB and the mod for the protection so it actually monitors all 4 cells (thread has the info but pics/info a bit vague, still reading)

RAKC
    Aight decision 1 made, headlamp. Getting the mudder version yinding clone cause all I want it the case mainly (but ill see how useable rest is) and hopefully driver isn't grossly under driven. Going to get good NW xml2 -u2s on copper discs, fix any cheap outs on heat dissipation beyond that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Good choice. Can't go wrong for the price and amazon return policy

RAKC
    Ok edit here, went with securitying version (cancelled order for mudder).

Was reading yinding thread saw the securitying version tore down, its the KD clone (internals all exact same). Means not under driven to hell, driver easily replaced (ill order a replacement from kd with the NW emitters all good and done). Aluminum backing plate on emitter disc ill see what I can do with that. If I can separate safely ill get some transfer tape and cut a new plate. If not...ill come up with something.

Decided few extra buck knowing exactly what I have before its in my hands was worth it.

And found mount design I like, action sells those adapters that put thing out in front of bars/allows me to center light etc. So ill order one of those at some point. And I now have a qr bar mount (busted commuter light) that's now already modded to fit these lights lol.