Is there such a thing anymore as something like the JetLites Phantom?- Mtbr.com
    Still chuggin' along

Is there such a thing anymore as something like the JetLites Phantom?

I've been out of mtn biking for about 10 yrs and although, my Jet Lites still works, the connector has hardened and the wires are starting to show through and fray.

I realized the company is out of business so, I'm wondering if something exits these days that is along the same lines. IIRC, under $100, light and small, 2 or 3 levels of light and I only need a helmet light and no bar light.

Any recommendations or am I asking too much?
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    For $100 you should be able to get a couple of Nite Rider Lumina Micros, one for your helmet and one for your bars. It's what I use and its a great combo.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The only Jet Lites I recall were halogen. Everything good today will be LED.

In regards to the previous recommendation for Nite Rider Lumina Micro lights, be aware that the output from them drops very quickly from start up. After ~30 minutes the output is half of what they start at.

We Test Lights | Lumina Micro 750 Test and Review
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kpicha View Post
    I realized the company is out of business so, I'm wondering if something exits these days that is along the same lines. IIRC, under $100, light and small, 2 or 3 levels of light and I only need a helmet light and no bar light.

Any recommendations or am I asking too much?
    https://www.amazon.com/ITUO-Headligh...7855749&sr=8-7

These left over Ituo XP2's are IMO the best you can get for $100. 1500+ actual lumens, light weight, battery pack uses Panasonic cells, programmable presets, changeable optics, good helmet mount (bar mount sucks), neutral white emitter tint. Only difference between current model and these left over's is the bar mount material. Excellent quality light!
    Mole

mtbr member
    If you are just looking for something small, light-weight and self contained to use on the helmet you might consider something like this Thrunite ( neutral white ) . Take the mount off the strap and find a way to strap it to the front of the helmet using a long piece of Velcro. There are tons of other similar lights that would work just as well or better. The only reason I linked the Thrunite is because it comes with a battery and a charger which is not bad bang for the buck.

Now as for recommendations, I recommend you pick-up something like a cheap Convoy S2 or S3 ( neutral white ) and use that on the bars. Never a good idea to go out into the woods with only one light. Buy spare batteries from Orbtronic ( USA ) and a cheap charger and you can have both helmet and bars covered for less than $100. Simple torch holder for the bars also available on ebay. I like and use something like these but there are others that can work just as well...*Use two lights when you ride and you won't believe how much better it is. ( *You wanted recommendations....you got it! )

Still chuggin' along
    Lol! Yes, I did ask for recommendations and they are much appreciated!

All very good options!! And good memory on the JetLites being halogen.

I might go with the Lumintrail https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumintrail-...ay!22032!US!-1 and the handlebar mount Cat man du recommended.

Has anyone used the Lumintrail? If it lasts as long as the Jets did, that would be great!

mtbr member
    Lol!

I might go with the Lumintrail https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lumintrail-...ay!22032!US!-1 and the handlebar mount Cat man du recommended.

Has anyone used the Lumintrail? If it lasts as long as the Jets did, that would be great!
    What the Lumintrail looks like is a BT40s/MS 872 clone. Lots of different brand names these are sold under and unless you can get some actual user input your rolling the dice on quality. Lighthead case design is the MS 872 version (horizontal cooling fins) and less desirable than the BT40s version (vertical cooling fins) because of thermal path issues. Since I don't know this brand, if you decide to buy this type of light I would suggest going with a Revtronic BT40s which has proven to be a good quality light with acceptable battery quality.

https://www.amazon.com/Revtronic-160.../dp/B00R1JC894

FYI this style of light produces a very wide beam but is limited in throw distance. In general this is not considered a good beam pattern for helmet use because of the limited throw so may not be what your looking for.
    Mole

Still chuggin' along
    So, would the Revtronic work well in conjunction with a handlebar mount? What kind of reference points should I be looking at to know whether a light beam is more wide or more long? Is it the number of bulbs?

mtbr member
    So, would the Revtronic work well in conjunction with a handlebar mount? What kind of reference points should I be looking at to know whether a light beam is more wide or more long? Is it the number of bulbs?
    Emitter type and reflector/optic design are the major things that affect beam pattern. Unfortunately with most sub $100 lights this information is not reliably/honestly published. Safest to purchase lights with changeable optics so you can adjust beam to suite your needs. I still recommend the Ituo XP2 I mentioned in my first post. I agree that for safety you need 2 lights so you'd have to spend more than your mentioned budget to add a bar light (BT40s would work fine bar mounted or Cat's torch suggestion). Anything less than this route you'll sacrificing considerable quality and considering the reputation of Jetlites I wouldn't think this would be acceptable for you.
    Mole

Still chuggin' along
    Ok, thanks for all your help! I did not know there was such a thing as changeable optics so, lots of delving and reading for me to do. The Ituo XP2 looks good, thanks!!

mtbr member
    These types of lights ( BT40S, Lumitrail 1600, etc ) have the mount built into the lamp. This particular model / style of light is well known. I don't usually recommend them for a helmet light because of the limited distance throw but otherwise they work very well on the bars. The BT40S you should be able to find on ebay or Amazon. There has been lots of positive feedback from people buying the BT40S under either the Nitefighter brand name or the Revtronic brand name. Those of us who are familiar with it know that the 40S uses neutral white American made Cree LED's . Many of us prefer NW emitters for mountain biking. I suppose you can use one on the helmet but you have to make sure that the model you order comes with a helmet mount. Both MrMole and myself own a BT40S so we are familiar with the style of the lamp. Like MrM said it would be better to buy a BT40S because the batteries have been proven to be better and the beam tint is more conducive for mountain biking. Anytime you buy a Chinese clone-of-a-clone lamp the biggest question is, "What quality of battery am I going to get"? So far I've heard no complaints from anyone who has bought a Revtronic or Nightfighter BT40S that their battery was crap.

Reference points for judging beam pattern have to do with emitter types and the optics and or reflector it is being used with. Sometimes you don't know what you are getting until you buy one. If you roll the dice on the Lumintrail the optic will likely be the standard 4-in-one piece optic used for this type of lamp. My biggest worry with the Lumintrail would be not only the battery but what what they are using for LED's. Most prefer American made Cree emitters. The Chinese however can now clone LED's and sell much of their products with their own LED's. The ad for Lumintrail makes no mention of using Cree XP-G or any other known Cree emitter. I did look the ad over again and it does include a helmet mount and extension cord for helmet use. When you use a lamp with a separate battery pack on your helmet you have keep the heavier battery somewhere on your person...typically a hydration back pack or pocket on a jersey, fanny pack...etc. The included extension cord is there for this purpose.

Still chuggin' along
    Yes, I wore the battery pack in my camelback with the Jetlites so, I do expect that and figure it would be be a little lighter now. There seems to be a bit more to consider than I imagined!

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks for all your help! I did not know there was such a thing as changeable optics so, lots of delving and reading for me to do. The Ituo XP2 looks good, thanks!!
    Here's a couple of shots of the beam of a Gloworm Alpha with different optics to show how much you can change the beam of a light with an optic swap.
    Mole

Name:  alpha%20ss.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  11.0 KB Name:  alpha%20ww.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  13.9 KB

Still chuggin' along
    Oh wow! that's a big difference!

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I use the Revtronic mentioned here for my handlebar light. The battery that came with it crapped out after two cycles. I bought a new pack and itís still running strong with no noticeable drop in run time...so far. The Revtronicís wide beam lights up the single track I ride in the lowest setting just fine. The highest setting on the trail is way too bright. Couple that with a good helmet light and youíre set.