Thanks for all the help - Here's a special deal for forum members - Rechargable Light- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Thanks for all the help - Here's a special deal for forum members - Rechargable Light

Hi guys, I've been a member of these forums for a long time and I've recently introduced a new light on Amazon. I've gotten a lot of great info and community here over the years (and been able to help out sometimes as well) and that's part of the reason i am enthusiastic about creating a cycling accessories brand. Anyway, i want to offer a discount to members here. I hope this isn't a problem, or too spammy. Let me know if it is.

This is a good little light, it's not the very brightest or very cheapest but i think it's a nice mix of brightness, well-shaped light pattern, quality, convenience and value. It's not enough for off-road riding, but it's great around town. It straps to your handlebars so you don't have to switch a mounting bracket from one bike to another, and the strap is attached so you can't lose it. It's USB rechargeable using a regular phone charger. It has an 800mAH Lithium battery and is rated 300 lumens.

For chuckles i'm calling it the Illuminati

For $5.00 off enter the promo code "SeeLight" at checkout on amazon. I'd also love productive feedback from anyone who buys and uses the light. It includes a red blinky for the back.

Link to Amazon

You can see more info on amazon or at my website Vivo-Bike.com

Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Beamshots?

RAKC
    Ya this has me curious, not like I need ANOTHER bike light, want to see beam shots too. Also nothing about run time or anything like that. ALot of information the rest of us want to know before buying anything. Also is it cool white or neutral white emitter?

mtbr member
    I own a similar lamp from Xeccon. The difference being the Xeccon "Link" ( older model ) was using an XP-G emitter and has a conical OP reflector. It too was rated at 300 lumen. Output on high was not bad for this type of lamp but the low mode sucked. The "Link" also has some other problems; The single flash mode was a hypnotic strobe rather than a slow flash, not good. Lastly the biggest problem was run time. The little Li-ion battery inside could only run no more than 1 hr on high ( if that ) and only in warm weather. In cool spring weather in only ran for 15 minutes before turning off.

The "I" light is an interesting build. I am however skeptical of any lamp designed to create cut-off. Most of those types of lamps always seem to have a lot of artifacts in the beam pattern. Regardless, the most important specification that is missing is the run time of the lamp on high. ( not to mention there is no mention of any other modes ) Beam shots though are a must if you have any real intention of getting anyone's attention on a bike light forum.

(*side note: The Xeccon Link is now using an XM-L2 neutral LED. I don't own one of these. No mention is made of it's battery capacity, which is not a good thing. )

Personally I use a mini XM-L2 torch for the bars when I want to go self-contained/lite-weight. It might not look as nifty as one of these mini self contained lamps but torches run on ( removable ) full 18650 cells which means it can run for over 3 hrs on medium AND medium is more than enough for a commuter lamp. Plus...I have more modes and more potential output if I need it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hi guys, If you are really technical and experienced with your lights, this might not be the light for you. It's meant for all the casual riders that you see riding with no lights at all, or those with really crappy throw-away lights and disposable batteries. It will be a great upgrade for them. That said, i think it's great for the purposes of a regular or occasional around town bike commuter. I haven't done a ton of testing with it, and it's all been in fairly warm weather, but I've been very happy with it so far.

It's supposed to run 3/5/12 hours on hi/low/blink. It has an 800mAh lithium battery. The whole light is very small. I took one apart and the battery seems impossibly tiny but it does say 800mAh. I just plug it in after every few rides. I've been pleased with my test units, but one guy with a family can only do so much testing when it doesn't get dark until 9:30pm around here.

Also, i just lowered the price to $19.97 (and free-shipping eligible on amazon) as a temporary boost to get a bunch of em out there in the world and see how they do. Your discount code is still valid so that will bring the price down to $14.97 for you. The number one selling bike light on amazon (by far) is total junk and it bugs me that so many people are buying that thing. I want to get more people using better lights (and not throwing away batteries).

Sorry, no beamshots yet. I'll try to take some pics soon. Are there any standards or best practices for doing so? I can tell you that it has a reasonably good cut-off and that it is wider than tall, it's not a high precision reflector, but it is an attempt at being better than most of the totally round beam flashlights.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also, is there an easy way to measure run time without just watching it with a stopwatch? Maybe a phone app or something? I've tried a couple times to measure run-time but have always gotten distracted and missed it. And for that matter, when do you call it? When the light goes out completely? Or is there some sort of judgement call when it is no longer sufficiently bright? Maybe with the lithium battery it goes bright until it goes off, i'm not sure.

To get a good run time number, i'd want to test several units in several temperatures... i can tell you that's not likely to happen unless i can somehow automate the test.

But, like i said, the mfr rates it at 3/5/12 hours on hi/low/blink FWIW.
    Bend, OR

RAKC
    Beam shots means having at least a decent camera on your phone and ability to make full adjustments via an app. Idea is to match what your seeing with your eyes.

As for run time, no way besides to sit and watch it or to test the battery to make sure it has the rated capacity and test the amp output from driver to emitter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Didn't have time right now for proper shots, but here's a quickie against the wall of a building and on the street shot with my phone. I'll try to get out the dslr and set up some better shots when (if!) i get a chance.

Also, the power button lights white when the light is on, red when charging, and green when charged. The light color is probably considered cool white. It's definitely not a warm color anyway. It is less blue than some lights though.

Thanks for all the help - Here's a special deal for forum members - Rechargable Light-ilbeam1.jpg

Thanks for all the help - Here's a special deal for forum members - Rechargable Light-ilbeam2.jpg
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's hard to tell how far that beam goes. Perhaps you could photograph it on dark street with some street markings (yellow stripes). Just something that indicates distance.

RAKC
    Based on info about the light its not meant to carry throw, its a flood commuter type light. Can't expect much from something this small.

RAKC
    Dude seriously is it needed to be an ass? I took the time to learn everything I could on the light out of curiosity. Really you contribute nothing but rude comments and arguments when someone answers or supplies info you ask for. If ur not interested in actually buying any of these lights or being constructive to discussions, go annoy another sub forum.

RAKC
    Dude look at your arguments and posts. I deleted my whole explanation but now I see why our most knowledgeable members are scarce. Junk like this, unexplainable negativity and hatred towards everything.

Time to follow in their example and do my own thing.

RAKC
    Oh and OP, sorry for getting thread derailled, was attempting to help a bit passing amazon review details over to here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Looks like there was a bit of a tussle.

I've gotten several orders using this discount code, thanks people. After you've tried out the light, please let me know if you have any questions or problems. And if you're happy with the light, please leave me a review. Reviews are very important and really help the business.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    Pity you don't ship outside of the US, luckily Fasttech do...

https://www.fasttech.com/product/231...ode-300lm-cool

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by znomit View Post
    Pity you don't ship outside of the US, luckily Fasttech do...

https://www.fasttech.com/product/231...ode-300lm-cool
    At that price I'm tempted to get a couple to salvage the reflectors out of them to build a high powered shaped beam light.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That's a crazy low price. Those guys are in Hong Kong. My costs are more than that so i can't compete with that price. With my product you do get Amazon Prime shipping and you get to buy from Amazon rather than a place in Hong Kong.

Just so you guys know, at the $15 discounted price, i'm right around break even. It costs me around $10/unit to get them to amazon, and then another 5+ in amazon fees. Most products that are on amazon can be found cheaper elsewhere, but few of those places will take care of their customers the way amazon does.
    Bend, OR

mtbr member
    List Price: $49.99