Technology eye opener- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Technology eye opener

Boy did I have a technology eye opener last night, a close friend and I decided to hit the trails last night for a night ride. Ten or more years ago we both bought a set of Light in Motion Arc lighting systems for over $400, since then his battery battery had died and he refused to pay $300 for a new one. Now years later he bought a $200 Niterider pro1200 and WOW what a difference, what we thought was the best light couldn't even hold its own against the NR.

At times it looked like my light wasn't even on, the L and M has a more spot light beam where the NR was more of a flood light, I couldn't see the trail because he was riding behind me and his light was casting a shadow of me in front of me.

So today finally I get to use my REI Xmas gift card by buying a new set of Niterider Pro 1400

RAKC
    And nightrider lights are low end for tech and performance, your money could go for so much better light systems and still have money left over for other stuff.

Honestly these days many known brands are very outdated and overpriced, cygo light and nightrider are the 2 worst by far for that.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    @powdertrax: Not to diss the NR lights but did you bother to shop around before deciding to go with the NR stuff? Since you know about the MTBreview "Lights and night riding" sub forum you might have given a closer look at the MTBreview Lights shoot-out link before going with the NR stuff.

Anyway, if night riding becomes one of your regular activities I do recommend buying a second lamp, one for the bars, one for the helmet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Cograts on yr update! As Catmando says, get another light. Could save your bacon in the event of a light failure. I'm sure at 1400lm it's gonna do the job quite well, but always have a backup.

Magically Delicious
    As a personal opinion, based an many night ridden miles, the second light should be a prerequisite for any night rides. A pair high quality lights on helmet and bars should be standard operations.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    As a personal opinion, based an many night ridden miles, the second light should be a prerequisite for any night rides. A pair high quality lights on helmet and bars should be standard operations.
    Amen. And I learned that lesson the hard way. As my father-in-law was so fond of saying, "Every education has it's tuition."

J.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ80 View Post
    Amen. And I learned that lesson the hard way. As my father-in-law was so fond of saying, "Every education has it's tuition."

J.
    ...otherwise learned in the "School of hard knocks"

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I have not bought a set yet, all I know is I don't want to spend $500 again, his NR Pro 1200 had great area coverage and for $200 seemed like a good buy.

Totally agree with two lights, but what I found on our ride last night is that the my new $60 Streamlight flashlight put out more then enough light with a 3 1/2 hour run time for those emergency back up light. It had such good coverage that I'm going to pick up a second one then make a clamp system.

Any light suggestions ? Under $300. I'll see if I can find the Light review

Magically Delicious

RAKC
    Sorry but in my opinion the shootout kind of sucks. Big difference in a light on the trails vs someone's back yard. If your going to write reviews actually do it. Actually do a true, real world comparison . Other it's nothing more than a list of specs which this Mtbr guy does and that's it. Cause people buy into so he gets by dong such a poor job "reviewing and comparing"

Oh and the shoot out is missing SO MANY options that are better than many shown.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    I agree, but it represents some form of a basis from which to draw your own conclusions. It's kind of like EPA mileage estimates for buying a new vehicle. Your mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by powdertrax View Post
    I have not bought a set yet, all I know is I don't want to spend $500 again, his NR Pro 1200 had great area coverage and for $200 seemed like a good buy.

Totally agree with two lights, but what I found on our ride last night is that the my new $60 Streamlight flashlight put out more then enough light with a 3 1/2 hour run time for those emergency back up light. It had such good coverage that I'm going to pick up a second one then make a clamp system.

Some of the guys here have done reviews on the lights i'm going to mention and their good!!

The new Ituo stuff is getting some attention.

Xeccon has good value and products well in your budget.

Gemini also one of the best bang for your $$. For $300 you can get two Gemini Duo's 1500 lumens each with wireless remote that can control both lamp heads. That price does only include the two cell battery so unless your rides are short i'd opt the extra $30 for a four cell pack and you can ride for many hours.

Any of those brands are IMO a much better value than the NR. Cheers!!

As already mentioned,,,,,,, ride with two lights,,, even quality stuff can fail.

mtbr member

Before buying one of the NR Pro's check to make sure the batteries/connectors are not proprietary. If they are then you will at some point need another battery and likely it will cost the big bucks. Most of the lamps being talked about on the forum are using standard MS type batteries with the standard connectors. ( although some use a slightly different variation with threaded connectors ). The MTBR lamp reviews I suggested just as a starting point. The best information is obtained by asking questions on THIS forum. FWIW there is also a battery thread on this forum with information on great places to buy good batteries at a great price.

As for latest trends in MTB lighting; Many have converted to lamps using the latest in "Neutral White" emitters. NW emitters bring out more detail in natural terrain. Also popular is getting lamps with either wired or "wireless" remotes.

Right now there are some good deals to be had. You just need to look at what's out there. Check out ActionLED, they are one of the vendors that pay to advertise on MTBR. They are very popular here on forum and offer great service and some great deals ( check out their deals on refurbished Gloworms.... )

As for flashlights aka torches; yep, we all use those too and have threads going on which are most popular. If you need a torch mount for the handlebars you can finds some at Amazon and some of the Chinese websites like Gearbest or Kaidomain. I was going to suggest the mount that I use This mount works well for heavier 18650 type flashlights. Kaidomain is the site for the better battery packs ( using Panasonic cells ). The down-side of ordering stuff from China is that it takes longer to get ( usually 16 to 20 days to USA ). ...anyway, I'm just giving you more options. Don't buy a lamp just because your bud has one. Do some shopping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ...otherwise learned in the "School of hard knocks"

Yes. And in a cloud of mosquitos.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

That $60 Streamlight PolyTac flashlight I bought at Cabela's is $35 on Amazon or $53 w/12 Lithium batteries, two equal almost 600 lm for $70 with no battery cable, removable to use as a flashlight (go figure) and lighter then most

mtbr member
    That $60 Streamlight PolyTac flashlight I bought at Cabela's is $35 on Amazon or $53 w/12 Lithium batteries, two equal almost 600 lm for $70 with no battery cable, removable to use as a flashlight (go figure) and lighter then most
    Not sure what model # of the Streamlight torch you are using but looking over what Streamlight offers ( on Amazon ) I didn't see a model that was using Cree LED's or any that said anything about having different modes ( unless I missed that some how ). Also the ones I saw were all using CR123A non-rechargeable batteries. I don't use any torches without using rechargeable batteries. My torches that use AA or RCR123A cells I could use non-rechargeables ( if I wanted to ) but I don't see any good reason to do that.

Anyway, good luck with the two torch set-up. Amazon sells torch mounts. Stay away from the ones using just rubber straps. They won't work well if your torch has much weight. ( they will vibrate or shake ). I suggest a mount with a locking bar and locking torch clamp. I did see one on Amazon that would likely work well but it looked bigger than the one I usually use. Still, the clamp it was using was the same kind of clamp that I have on the phone mount holder I have and that is rock solid.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt

Two words: "Cheap Chinese"
    You can outfit yourself with a killer 2 light setup for way less than your proposed budget. Just my $0.02 - YMMV