Team Amoeba 2018- Mtbr.com
    Light freak

Team Amoeba 2018

Decided it was time to upgrade my bike from early 2000's 26er geometry and 3x9 era technology to the latest and greatest as I was losing motivation. Found a great deal on 2017 Diamondback Mission 2.0 that fit a bunch of check marks, mainly price. 27.5, Fox Performance 36mm Float fork, Fox Float DPS EVOL rear shock, 160mm travel front and back, 1 x 11, 180mm rotors, dropper post, converted tubless. After having for about 2 months I am finally starting to feel comfortable on it.

As I have got some big rides planned for 2018, that is going to mean alot of early mornings getting in the miles. Got the lights all transferred, ready to rock the darkness and decided to do an urban assault and get some pics!

Team Amoeba 2018-team-amoeba.jpg

Handlebar set-up
    Amoeba 2x Cree XM-L2
    Ledil Regina reflectors
    TaskLed LFlex driver
    Vancbiker finned aluminum GoPro andapter
    Vancbiker 35mm bar GoPro mount
    4x 18650 2S2P square configuration Li-Ion battery pack
    GoPro Hero2
    JPaks RukSak
    TimberBell

Team Amoeba 2018-team-amoeba-cockpit-1.jpg

Team Amoeba 2018-team-amoeba-cockpit-2.jpg

Helmet set-up
    Amoeba 2x Cree XP-L High Intensity
    Regina Ledil reflectors
    TaskLed LFlex driver
    Vancbiker finned aluminum GoPro andapter
    2x 18650 2S Li-ion battery pack
    Bell Super 3R helmet

Team Amoeba 2018-team-amoeba-helmet.jpg

Now if the trails would just dry out. We are almost there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Pretty nice!

Curiosity... What about the bike made it take a couple months to get feeling comfortable on it?
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

Light freak
    Mostly wheel size and geometry. Add in 1x11 gearing, more suspension, wider bars, tubeless and dropper post and that is alot going on. Also been getting towards the end of winter (hopefully) so hard to get it out on some actual trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Congrats on the new bike. Yeah, I made that jump about two years ago too. Bigger wheels, tires, bars, better suspension, different drivetrain, dropper... its a lot to like!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scar View Post
    Mostly wheel size and geometry. Add in 1x11 gearing, more suspension, wider bars, tubeless and dropper post and that is alot going on....
    Got it! I've never tried the bigger wheel thing yet. Every time I start thinking about a new mountain bike, I come back to reality with the knowledge that the old Santa Cruz is still a better bike than I am a rider. And that's not likely to be changing since I'm 60.

Besides all funding for new bikes just got used up on a new to me toy.

Team Amoeba 2018-cimg1125.jpg

About 4 nice bikes here...

Now if I can talk the wife into letting me build a pump track and maybe a few jumps to practice on.....
    Last edited by Vancbiker; 03-05-2018 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added toy picture

mtbr member
    Decided it was time to upgrade my bike from early 2000's 26er geometry and 3x9 era technology to the latest and greatest as I was losing motivation. Found a great deal on 2017 Diamondback Mission 2.0 that fit a bunch of check marks, mainly price. 27.5, Fox Performance 36mm Float fork, Fox Float DPS EVOL rear shock, 160mm travel front and back, 1 x 11, 180mm rotors, dropper post, converted tubless. After having for about 2 months I am finally starting to feel comfortable on it...
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. A couple months ago when I went out to replace my 5 yr. old tires I discovered that 26" tires were now a rarity. Couldn't find the IRC Mythos XC 2.1 kelvar's I've been running for about 15 yrs. Had to settle on a Continental 2.2 kevlar for the rear. Luckily I still had a brand new Mythos front that I didn't use from the last time I bought tires.

If I was going to buy a new bike I'd likely go with the 27.5 as well. I'd have to get used to the newer wider tires and I'm not sure I'd like that. I really like my current bike ( Kona Kikapu Deluxe ) and I'm still running the original shocks, Marzocchi MX Comp Bomber ( 100mm travel ) and a Fox Float rear shock and have no complaints. It would be real hard to adapt to a new bike. Not that I wouldn't be willing to try but I'd have to spend $2K plus just get something I really like.

Pluses would be the upgraded 1 x 11 gear system. If I could get it with the same type rapid fire shifter I'd be happy. Interesting that yours came with a dropper seat post. I've always wanted to try one of those but I didn't want to give up my Thomson set-back seat post. Yep if I went "new bike" I'd have to get used to new geometry feel, new travel response, wider and larger tire feel. Nope, at 63 I don't think I'll go there. I will have to replace my rapidfire shifters this year because I think they are just worn out. Damn things just won't catch the cable all the time and even worse when it starts to get cold.

For me the lack of motivation comes from being over-weight. Two months ago I was carrying an extra 40lbs. Thankfully I finally decided that lugging 40 extra pounds while on a bike was unacceptable. Hoping to reach my target weight of 180 lbs by the end of may. Now if that doesn't reinvigorate my love of MTB'ing than I might as well give it up. Now if I do lose the weight and start to love my bikes again I might reward myself with something new.

Scar, enjoy the new bike. Looks really nice. If you're really into Mountain downhills ( which I know you are ) the new bike should really add to the experience.

Light freak
    Vancbiker - now that is a serious toy! Time to start cutting some track.

Cat - yeah I am "old school" like I think you are. I can't stand to throw anything away that I know I can fix. I continued to ride my 26" 3x9 thru the 29'er phase but the 27.5 just seemed to really make sense. The trails around here can be really chunky and the climbs can get stupid steep so everything is a trade off. Been chasing around my buddies on a rigid fatbike also for a season and a half and my body had enough of that. At 54, my body is still feeling pretty good so I wanted a little more suspension travel to help smooth things out.

I am in the same boat, put on more pounds than I had realized over the holidays till a coworker pointed it out to me. Gotta love the truth. Setting some goals for some big rides (to me) this summer and have got a pretty good jump on my training.

Biking of any kind is the best medicine for the mind and body!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice bike, congrats! Last year I upgraded to a Specialized Epic 29er That I got a deal on. I was opposed to 29 since my 26 ran fine, now I am a fan. they are nice on the trail. The trails here are a bit rooty and they roll over them easily. I kept my 2x system since I use my bike for everything, including trips to the office and some 20 mile carriage road rides.

There were a few new things that took some getting used, it was actually my first disc brake bike! I am still keeping my old Trek and plan to restore her, she's such a great bike!

Have fun with it!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    ......when I went out to replace my 5 yr. old tires I discovered that 26" tires were now a rarity.
    I expect lack of good quality components for older "standards" will be what pushes many into a new bike. Was looking at the Fox website a couple nights ago thinking about a new 120mm XC fork. Did not dig too deep but on a quick look they did not have anything for 26" wheels nor anything that worked with regular QR axles.

mtbr member
    Decided it was time to upgrade my bike from early 2000's 26er geometry and 3x9 era technology to the latest and greatest as I was losing motivation. Found a great deal on 2017 Diamondback Mission 2.0 that fit a bunch of check marks, mainly price. 27.5, Fox Performance 36mm Float fork, Fox Float DPS EVOL rear shock, 160mm travel front and back, 1 x 11, 180mm rotors, dropper post, converted tubless. After having for about 2 months I am finally starting to feel comfortable on it.

As I have got some big rides planned for 2018, that is going to mean alot of early mornings getting in the miles. Got the lights all transferred, ready to rock the darkness and decided to do an urban assault and get some pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Team Amoeba.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	292.4 KB 
ID:	1185880

Great reason for buying a new bike (or light). Something new (bike related) always makes getting out on the bike more of a priority so good motivation if you want more saddle time and to get in better shape. I'd guess the 2 mo. it took getting used to the new ride had more to do with transitioning from your rigid fatbike rather than the "old school" 26er. New ride looks great!!!
    Mole