Taz1200- Mtbr.com

Thread: Taz1200

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004

Taz1200

Has anyone tried this light yet? I purchased one recently and the beam pattern and brightness is really amazing. Probably the best light I have ever tried. However after about 30 minutes of use the light level dropped two settings as the battery light indicator wen from green (full charge) to flashing red (almost dead) instantly. I took it home and charged it with a 0.5A charger (I tried two different ones) for 2 days and the light kept going from flashing green (75% charge) then back down to flashing red (25%) and then back to green, etc. Every time I unplugged it to try it the light would come on and immediately drop to a low level and begin flashing red. It was like the battery was discharging more. I called L&M and they want me to try a 2A charger before they will exchange it. If a 0.5A charger on the battery for 2 days results in the battery discharging, I don't see how a 2A charger is going to help but I am going to give it a shot. Their own website gives specs for 0.5A chargers (14hrs), 1A chargers, and 2A chargers. A friend owns a bike shop and he ordered one for someone and it wouldn't take a charge from brand new. Another friend has one and so far hasn't had any problems but only used it once. I know these are fairly new and I haven't read much on them. I was wondering if anyone else had problems with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I completely discharged mine and recharged it with an old iPad/iPhone charger. Worked fine. The cheaper charger I got with my Motorola phone does not work. Try it with a higher capacity USB charger and I'll bet it'll be fine, especially after a full discharge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I hope it works out ok for you as the Taz 1200 looks promising. I was close to buying one, but I think I'll wait a bit longer now.
    Here's a link with lots of different beam shot photos. The Taz 1200 is near the bottom.

Bicycle Light Comparison Guide - ModernBIKE.com

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Well Lugano (and L&M) were right. I borrowed a 2.1 amp Ipad charger from someone and it worked. I still can't get over that L&M spec their charge times with a 0.5amp, 1 amp and 2amp chargers, and even claim that it can be charged from any micro USB plug (even the ones on your computer which max out at 0.5amp). I thought my two chargers I had tried were 0.5amp but they actually were both 0.9 amp. So basically this light doesn't come with a charger but requires a 2amp charger (which most micro USB chargers are not). Their charging electronics must not be designed that well because if they were you could charge the battery with very small currents (as long as it was above the self discharge rate of the battery). Their electronics must be trying to charge the battery at higher currents and therefore dropping the power supply of the <1amp chargers.

Members who have read this thread: 1