Suggest a light head upgrade for me!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Suggest a light head upgrade for me!

So,

The vast majority of my riding is now at night, in the cold. I currently have a Jet A-51 and a MJ-808-L2 with the 5600 battery pack upgrade from action LED.

The Jet appears to have a proprietary plug, but it has an excellent bar mounting interface, so I like to run it as a bar light.

My question is, are there any light heads available via amazon prime that will be an upgrade in lumens and throw over my current MJ? I would like to run them off of my current samsung 5600 pack, which is working very well. I have not looked at lights in a while, so I'm not sure what advancements have been made.

Thanks!

H.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
    So,

The vast majority of my riding is now at night, in the cold. I currently have a Jet A-51 and a MJ-808-L2 with the 5600 battery pack upgrade from action LED.

The Jet appears to have a proprietary plug, but it has an excellent bar mounting interface, so I like to run it as a bar light.

My question is, are there any light heads available via amazon prime that will be an upgrade in lumens and throw over my current MJ? I would like to run them off of my current samsung 5600 pack, which is working very well. I have not looked at lights in a while, so I'm not sure what advancements have been made.

Thanks!

H.
    Your Jet lite A-51 is a lamp marketed in 2010. Jetlites no longer even lists it on their website. Your MJ-808 L2 should be blowing the A-51 out of the water. You don't need to replace the MS you need to replace the bar lamp. If you want more output you need to consider multi-emitter lamps. If you want something brighter on the helmet that is also the direction you need to consider.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    CMD, you, my friend, are absolutely right. I really should leave the MJ as-is, mod the Jet quick-release bar mount to work with it, and upgrade my helmet light.

You've contributed great information and reviews around here for years, so, if you don't mind, could you suggest a moderately-priced battery pack and lightweight light head I can find on amazon prime for a helmet mount?

Now I'm all excited for a new light, and I'd like to have something together for the weekend

Again, thanks!
    H.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    CMD, you, my friend, are absolutely right. I really should leave the MJ as-is, mod the Jet quick-release bar mount to work with it, and upgrade my helmet light.

You've contributed great information and reviews around here for years, so, if you don't mind, could you suggest a moderately-priced battery pack and lightweight light head I can find on amazon prime for a helmet mount?

Now I'm all excited for a new light, and I'd like to have something together for the weekend

Again, thanks!
    H.
    Looking for a nice little helmet light that wont break the bank and is available with amazon prime, and can share batteries with your MS?

Look no further

Amazon.com : SecurityIng® 4 Modes Waterproof LED Bicycle Light Special Disign Long or Short Range Lighting Modes Super Bright Lighting Lamp Bicycle Headlight LED Headlamp Flashlight Torch with 8.4 V 8800mAh Rechargeable Battery Pack & Charger (Black)

Great little light stock. can be modified for even more potential. Cheap. Tiny.

seriously, for the price it can't be beat. also comes with an extra, chinese junk battery to carry around as a spare if you wish, all for a paltry 33.99 shipped to your door, in 2 days

mtbr member
    Yes, nice light suggested by manbeer. My review with pics is on Amazon at that link. Not sure what you'll think of the modes though.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Manbeer: Isn't that the light where the modes are Left light, Right light, Both lights? I know the KD driver board has been suggested for it, but I haven't seen reports of someone trying it yet.

300P: Is the reason you want to limit your selection to Amazon, just for the speed of delivery? If you are willing to wait for delivery from China, the Yinding with XM-L2 and Neutral White LEDs is an excellent choice. There is an enormous thread on it as one of the first few choices in this forum. With the coupon code "yinding" it is $25.14 for the light head, or and $39.17 for the light head and battery.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for the rec, guys!

Can you suggest an upgraded battery pack that is known to be of decent quality?

Also, does anyone have familiarity with this version?
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-Rec...sin=B00JGNEMK6

It appears to have a protection board on the battery...I don't know if this makes a difference in terms of safety using the junk cells.

Again, thanks, keep em' coming!
    lights is a wonderful sub-forum. Reminds me of why forums can be such valuable tools.

H.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ian,

In the past, when things have gone wrong with shipping, mis-shipments or the like, amazon has treated me very well. If I can buy the light from a known entity, I'd prefer to.

Also yes, I've been spoiled by instant gratification, and I want to ride with it this weekend and next week

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Ian,

In the past, when things have gone wrong with shipping, mis-shipments or the like, amazon has treated me very well. If I can buy the light from a known entity, I'd prefer to.

Also yes, I've been spoiled by instant gratification, and I want to ride with it this weekend and next week
    The Yinding is a known quality and seller. The link you sent looks like a familiar Magicshine clone yet possibly a clone of clone and difficult to determine quality since each clone is different. The only way is to buy a clone that people have bought before.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Manbeer: Isn't that the light where the modes are Left light, Right light, Both lights? I know the KD driver board has been suggested for it, but I haven't seen reports of someone trying it yet.

300P: Is the reason you want to limit your selection to Amazon, just for the speed of delivery? If you are willing to wait for delivery from China, the Yinding with XM-L2 and Neutral White LEDs is an excellent choice. There is an enormous thread on it as one of the first few choices in this forum. With the coupon code "yinding" it is $25.14 for the light head, or and $39.17 for the light head and battery.
    On this particular light it is both beams on at all times, with 3 modes and programmable levels in 10 percent increments similar to gemini

mtbr member
    Keep it simple and order your stuff from action leds. Jim will take care of you.

Gemini duo
    Gloworm x2
    Gloworm xs
    "PLEASE LORD FORBID THEM FROM ENTERING, FORGIVE US FOR THEY SHALL NEVER LEAVE"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes, jim is a good guy and if it is within your budget, those all make good options. I prefer the x2 for helmet use due to the low profile mount

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Manbeer: You are mistaken on the driver. You are describing it AFTER replacing the driver board. All the reviews note the Left, Right, Both, and Strobe modes. It does not have a programmable ten mode driver. Perhaps Gary can confirm that.

The Chinglish in the main body of the description for that ad is some of the worst I've seen. LOL

The tread discussing this light, branded as UniqueFire HD-016 mentions the SecurityIng version.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...ht-934119.html

300 HP: The battery that comes with the light will be usable, but not even close to what is specified in the ad.

Jim's service is excellent. The Xeccon batteries from MtbRevolution are also good. I'm unsure as to which batteries they stock in the US at the moment. Lenard may step in and tell us. Hunk Lee's batteries are well regarded by many here. Those are the three sources most often recommended on here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It appears to have a protection board on the battery...I don't know if this makes a difference in terms of safety using the junk cells.
    Any consumer lithium rechargeable battery is equipped with protection board. It's just not typically mentioned in the description, being common property.

One minor note about light selection: cheap Chinese lights are decent and have better "bang for the buck" ratio, but there's one drawback - the quality varies significantly, even within the same product model and manufacturer. Be aware, and good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Manbeer: You are mistaken on the driver. You are describing it AFTER replacing the driver board. All the reviews note the Left, Right, Both, and Strobe modes. It does not have a programmable ten mode driver. Perhaps Gary can confirm that.
    Yes, I confirm modes are "Flood", "Throw", & "Flood & Throw". Mine is being customized by a BLF member. We've changed gears from our original plan and are now planning to use the KD 10 step driver (in some fashion - it may just be an MCU swap). Full mod thread on my light is located here.

I believe the HD-016 has less chance of varying quality because it's still in it's infancy and hasn't taken off in popularity (i.e. sparking numerous clones). Thermal path in stock form is decent enough. It's really about whether or not you like the modes the way they are or have the ability to change them. The KD driver is NOT a direct swap in!

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    This is weird because I have mine here and at no points do any of the lights operate independently of one another

EDIT: I'm a total moron. I sent the wrong link. The one I meant to recommend was the KD 2 style not the uniquefire

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00JO9FSMS#

sorry for the confusion, I bought both lights in the same order and linked the wrong one

mtbr member
    Non-mobile link.

Very interesting that your sample from Amazon has the 10-step programmable driver (no mention of that on Amazon).

Just a word of caution that that light has very limited heatsinking (very little thermal path). No reports of any burning up (yet) though. I have one (I bought KD's 4.2v version).

-Garry

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow, so much good information.

First, thanks!

Second, I plan on ordering from Action again ASAP. I had a great experience with them last time, and an XS is what I have my eyes on. However, that's a couple months out for me. In the interim, I was looking for a way to add a little more spark for my current setup, and to have a backup rig to get more people into night riding.

Third, thanks for posting the corrected link!

Lastly, in mention of these clones, I see people refer to the need for more thermal paste to improve heat transfer....can someone point me to a DIY link for a process they recommend?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Some lights simply require pulling the front lens off, prying up the emitter board, applying thermal compound (type used for PC CPU's is fine), and reassembling. Some simply lack any surface to apply compound too (i.e. emitter boards "float" or only sit on a "lip" - you can apply compound to the "lip" though). These lights are MUCH more difficult to address the thermal path issues. One method is "potting" with non-conductive materials. I myself plan on doing this linked method, but haven't tried it yet.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    Non-mobile link.

Very interesting that your sample from Amazon has the 10-step programmable driver (no mention of that on Amazon).

Just a word of caution that that light has very limited heatsinking (very little thermal path). No reports of any burning up (yet) though. I have one (I bought KD's 4.2v version).

-Garry
    you know, I wasn't so sure if it had that feature since they made no mention of it but I tried the instructions that cat-man-do posted and was pleasantly surprised. One thing I should note which I am not sure is relevant but I got mine from amazon warehouse deals listed as used. It arrived and looked like it had indeed been unpacked but I have no way of knowing if it was just a normal return, if somehow I got a different (pre production/test unit) or what it was. It looks identical inside to my untrained eyes though. I think I paid 27 dollars and change with the crap-o battery and charger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, Garry!

manbeer (amazing user name, btw) If I had not read those same instructions, there's no way I would have found the extra bonus round mode by myself

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've seen the KD2 like light with ten step driver on LightMalls too. Cool white only - no neutral.

Light Head only: $20.50 (A couple of buck cheaper than KD)
    Light plus 4 cell battery: $31.12
    Light plus 6 cell battery: $39.99

300HP: Look for the thread on the KD2 light. It shows the light disassembled and the guts. I believe you peel back the rubber on the mount, unscrew the mount, and then there are two small hex bolts at the back of the light.

mtbr member

Again, thanks!
    H.
    Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you. Since you wanted to order on Amazon I was thinking you should be able to buy one of the clone lamps that should work out pretty good. You also wanted something that should work for the helmet. I was going to suggest one of the Solarstorms ...X2, X3...but hard to find them on Amazon using the latest ( XM-L2 ) Cree emitters which would be preferable. The lamp mentioned in post #17 is also a good choice but once again, not the latest emitter.

Since you also mentioned buying from Action LED I highly recommend going that route. A Gemini Duo on the helmet should work real well and is likely using the Cree XM-L2 emitters.. You can also buy batteries from them as well. Since you initially said you wanted a better quality lamp ( and batteries ) I think Action would be the way to go ( although it will cost a bit more )....your call.

*Edit...Oh, almost forgot; If you're putting the 808-L on the bars I would buy the flood lens from Action LED and use that on the lamp to add a little more spread of the beam coming off the bars. It will limit some of the throw but with a new helmet lamp going you shouldn't have problems. On a side note Action also sells the quick release bar mounts for the 808's as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    CMD,
    Thanks! All good input. I fully plan on picking up a glow XL from action in the near future. I wanted to see if I could get some more spread on the bars from one of the dual L2 clone lights in the interim.

I've been very impressed with the service and quality of what I've gotten from them in the past. I'm in MI and they ship out of Chicago (last I remember) so stuff gets to me quickly.

I wanted to see if I could play around with one of the clone heads and see what it could do. It'll be a cheap experiment, at the very least As always, a wealth of information and people who know much, much more about this stuff than I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quick update,

I picked up the previously mentioned KD style clone, labeled as securitying:
    http://www.amazon.com/SecurityIng%C2...es+2300+lumens.

I grabbed a BAK 4-cell pack from Action to power it, and make a nice mid-grade light setup until I can upgrade to a glowworm.

It has the 10 setting board in it, and appears identical to the light in the main thread. I added silicone for waterproofing in the cable exit port, and an o-ring on the back panel.

I tested run time to 4 hrs+ on my samsung cell 5600 battery from action LED.

I have not tested the light with the stock pack, or charged the stock pack. Would you all recommend I charge the stock pack with my Magicshine charger, or should I use the junk pack and junk charger together?

Thanks all,
    h.

mtbr member
    I'd say just use your good magicshine charger. Those junk ones are really hit or miss on quality. It might charge "decent", it may charge "great", or it may be terribly unsafe. Can you measure output of the charger (no load, just plugged in) with a meter? Should be around 8.4 to 8.45v. Also, does the label on the charger specifically say "Li-Ion Charger"? If so, that should be a good sign.

Even if it's safe, it likely doesn't charge at it's spec'd rate. The one in my GearBest 3x review only charged at 230mA though it was spec'd at 1000mA! It also didn't charge with a correct charging algorithm, though it did stop at 8.4v+/-.

It's likely not worth hassling with since you own a known good charger (well I assume it's good).

You may wish to dissect the "junk" battery and see if the cells are balanced or if you have "fake cells" like I had in my 3x review light.

-Garry

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have not tested the light with the stock pack, or charged the stock pack. Would you all recommend I charge the stock pack with my Magicshine charger, or should I use the junk pack and junk charger together?
    Use charger of better quality (i.e., MagicShine), of course.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks guys. While I assumed that was the obvious answer, I don't know enough about batteries to know whether there is a likely situation where lower quality cells will cause damage to a nice charger.

H.

I like turtles
    The Gemini Xera is an excellent helmet light and a bit less $$ than the duo.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF