SS x3 or MJ-880 clone- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

SS x3 or MJ-880 clone

Ok in a toss up right now. Have the kd yinding clone on the way for helmet, but bar light im stuck between these 2. Was going for x3 but replacement driver seems non-existant. Which is my concern. I know usually its just the sense resistor that goes on these drivers, but thought of something else failing in the driver but no access to parts bothers me.

880 clone is nice in the fact I can order spare drivers from KD (which im doing for my yinding clone I ordered from amazon anyway so I have neutral led set).

Is the 3rd led of the x3 much for worth it, I dont need to light up the down side of a mountain so unsure if there is much of a point. Just thought they look cool.

Opinions, is their any upside to justify x3 over kds mj-880 clone?

mtbr member
    The upgraded SSX3's haven't really been out that long for anyone ( like me ) who has one to give a honest review. All I can say is that it's bright, has a medium wide beam pattern and has decent distance throw. I look forward to using mine in the spring. How it compares to the 880 clone I can't say as I don't own one of those.

If you really plan on modding the lamp it might be better to use the 880 clone. Not too many people have modded the SStorm lamps ( not that it can't be done ) Either way both lamps are available as "lamp only" so if you skip buying lunch for a couple days you can buy both.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Agree they are close. X3 with its two side lights has more spread than the KD 880 clone, which is a bit spotty, if more stylish. Dual button interface means you don't have to cycle through Off, though the single button on the SolarStorm is even easier to push.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/384262...7651076813781/

You have to click or mouse over or something on Flickr to read the descriptions, which list the lamps employed in each "test." If you have your own account, sign in and you shouldn't see any ads.

RAKC
    Thnx Andy, probably end up sx3 on the bars. But ill probably get the kd 2 for sons bars.

Did see a newish kd 2 version I like, remote switch lol. Might get one of those to play with cause I want to set my commuter to 1 switch for front and rear light, much easier lol. May even make a good helmet light who knows.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you mean http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023823 ? If yes, then be aware it uses 4.2V battery pack while most of others use 8.4V packs.

RAKC
    Ah damn it, means output will blow!!! Well looked promising

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Read the specs from the full package:

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023820

Circuitry: Low: 0.35A
    Mid: 1.8A
    Hi: 3.0A
    Fast Strobe: 1.4A

Think I saw it on Amazon, purchasers gave it high marks IIRC.

Nobody here has posted a review of it yet.

Your turn to be the guinea pig, tigris.

RAKC
    Aight well sats 3a to the lights and last I recall voltage is stepped down in 8.4v applications anyway. For $25 I may have to order one up in a couple weeks. Gotta get my ssx3 from GB ordered first (only way to get in NW). But the remote function would be sweet on helmet too, attach switch to pack strap at shoulder lol.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    tigris, I wouldn't order the lone lamp head if I were you, you'd still have to find a separate 4.2V battery pack anyway. And am sure everyone would be just as interested to hear about that USB power bank from KD as they would about the lamp head. Whole package is only way to go.

Consider yourself elected. ;-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Weird, just remembered having seen this other lamp with the same looking USB power bank somewhere before.

New Generation Newest Cree XM L2 LED Bike Light Cycling Bicycle Lights Headlamp+4400mAh Power bank+USB Cable-in Bicycle Light from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

But according to Ali, it's 8.4V, not the 4.2V of KD. Kinda hard to believe that there would be two different versions, wonder whether the specs are wrong on one of the sites. Also curious if the battery case is less or more crappy than the SolarStorm or alloy KD, in terms of circuitry. Probably just more or less crappy. But at least the design makes a lot more sense than that of the SolarStorm, with the USB port built into the case rather than hanging off a split cable. Also, apparently charges over micro USB, obviating the need for a special/separate 4.2V charger.

Edit: Yeah, Kaidomain has that same little spot as Ali, it's 4.2V on KD.

http://www.kaidomain.com/product/details.S023799

Then there's this similar USB power bank TrustFire on Alibaba definitely 8.4V, no micro USB so charges with standard wall wart.

3600 Lumens TrustFire TR-D011 3 x Cree XM-L2 U2 3-Mode Bike light + TrustFire TR-E01 4 x 18650 Power Bank, View TrustFire TR-D011 Bike Light, TrustFire Product Details from Shenzhen Lanhaite Electronics Limited Co. on Alibaba.com

Interestingly, meant to be user serviceable, can replace with own cells but says "the capacity is up to 4000mah."

RAKC
    Dont need a USB power bank . Have 2 new Solarstorm cases with USB output. And USB works great (charged my phone as fast as my best wall charger). Just simply get another one and use USB only (or work great for commuter with standard connector ran to tail light).

Aight ill play guinea pig! I'm starting to get am understanding of these style led systems now and all you guys here can help out should it need nodded beyond my current skills.

As for those lights u linked. Look at connectors, USB on the light means has to run what power banks put out which is max 5v I think. Standard plug (like Ali) uses same power bank except bank has a standard plug too not just USB. Basically same but not as nice as new solarstorm cases.

RAKC
    Ok so....instead of mj880 clone (doing as cat said and buy both) I got that new thing with the remote. I'll see what the deal is with it cause my commuter needs a better light anyway.

After its here ill tinker see what the deal is, maybe it can be made to match other kd2 output and become my helmet light (remote on hydropack strap would be awesome).

We shall see....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

New question here.

Tigris, did you order the whole package that includes the 4.2V power source or do you already have one like that? Pretty sure the lamp head itself doesn't run off USB.

RAKC
    Not worried whichever connector is fine. I'm all set up to play with this stuff again (wife's gonna hate it lol). I'll make it work. Might as well save the money and use what I have already

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Dont need a USB power bank . Have 2 new Solarstorm cases with USB output. And USB works great (charged my phone as fast as my best wall charger). Just simply get another one and use USB only (or work great for commuter with standard connector ran to tail light).

Aight ill play guinea pig! I'm starting to get am understanding of these style led systems now and all you guys here can help out should it need nodded beyond my current skills.

As for those lights u linked. Look at connectors, USB on the light means has to run what power banks put out which is max 5v I think. Standard plug (like Ali) uses same power bank except bank has a standard plug too not just USB. Basically same but not as nice as new solarstorm cases.
    I've kind'a been following along with the last couple posts and I'm not sure you understand the battery bank set-ups that have an additional USB output. If I'm wrong about that apologies in advance. Anyway here's the skinny as I see it:

There appears to be two kinds of battery banks that supply both lamp power and USB power ( 5volts ) being sold with some of the different Chinese lamps. As has been pointed out some are sold with lamps using 4.2 volts ( 4 cells in parallel ) as the main voltage source and some are 8.4volts ( 2S/2P ). Both types ( of cell holders ) contain an extra output and circuit designed to supply the 5 volts needed for USB powered devices. Depending on the type of battery bank used ( 4.2 vs. 8.4 ) the circuit used to provide the 5 volts will either be a step-down voltage converter or step-up.

As usual, the current output with the USB plugs are limited to no more than 2A. This however has nothing to do with the other output that is designed to power the lamp. That output is only limited by the batteries used and/or a secondary PCB if one is used as protection.

All this means is you just have to be sure of the power requirements of the lamp before you buy. If you buy a two emitter lamp powered by a 4.2 battery the emitters are more than likely configured in parallel. That said if the highest level of output current is listed as 3A each LED is only going to get half of the current because of the parallel set-up. This is why the lamps using 8.4 volts are better. With the higher voltage they can run two LED's in series and use the entire output current through BOTH led's ( which make for a brighter output ).

Now with all this said, a lot of what I just said depends on what is written on the Chinese websites as THEY describe their own products. Sometimes I feel they leave out a lot of information or put information down that is not self-explanatory.

For example; If they list 3A as the maximum output...is that the current through each LED or through the entire output configuration? Usually when current output is listed it is assumed it is for the entire output configuration but when it comes to the Chinese lamps that are arranged in parallel emitter set-ups, well I really can't say for sure if they are on the same page as us. Since I don't own a 4.2 volt Chinese bike lamp I have no way to test this theory either way but I thought it worth mentioning.

Now if someone has actually opened up and tested the current output on one of these 4.2 volt set-ups I'd like to know about it.

RAKC
    Ya no worries know exactly where im at with packs vs lights, used to be huge into brushless rv dealing with lipos, used to do my own led kits for them (ur avg led not these kind of emitters). The details of the drivers im learning, byond that I have a fair basic knowledge of.

Appreciate u putting it here though for ones that dont know what they could be getting into

Ps: Got ssx3 in NW on the way too hopefully gets here quickly

mtbr member
    Beware that running lights on a 4.2v source need thicker shorter gauge power leads and good solid connections. It doesn't take much resistance to cause the current to drop significantly. I found this out with my 4.2v version "KD2" light. I have a mod thread on it over at BLF and here is a link to the post where I found the problem with ledoman's assistance. That light is still sitting in pieces and awaiting a transplant with a new KD "10 step programmable driver" which will now run on 8.4v input.

-Garry

RAKC
    Interesting place over there lol. I'm expecting some annoyances I have to research and fix but that's half the fun. All the freaking number/letter references to chips and crap was making my brain hurt lol. But right now I just got wait and see what I have when it gets here and what my mod options will be if needed.