Spotlight for helmet - cheap and suited for modding 2018- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

Spotlight for helmet - cheap and suited for modding 2018

Hi,
    first of all I've spent some time reading this forum and found a lot of interesting topics. Days are getting shorter and the woods - I'm from Germany - are starting to get pretty dark. I'm running a bt40s on my bars and a SSX2 clone on my helmet. Now I'm infected by the moding virus.
    I already have a second bt40s for that purpose but up to now no idea, which dual emitter helmet light is to be recommended. Any suggestions for actual SSX2 clones, Yinding clones...?

mtbr member
    Since you are already using the BT40 on the bars you should consider getting or modding another lamp capable of providing more throw than the BT40 but still using neutral white LED's. Really hard to find cheap bike lights with good throw that also utilize NW LED's. Since you have mentioned wanting to mod you might consider modding something like the Solarstorm X3. You can still buy those but I don't see them being sold anymore with NW. An interesting project might be to mode an X3 with Cree XP-L or XPL HI ( in NW tint ).

I have a SSX3 that I was able to buy with XM-L2 (NW) but that was years ago when they were available. It actually made for a decent helmet lamp and matched up very well with a BT40S. Yep, if it were me I'd buy a couple of the SSX3's ( buy an extra for back-up ) and just replace the LED's and then see if that would satisfy. Then if still not bright enough you could then ask around to find out which resistors to mod. Just remember, these are cheap-ass lights so the thermal cooling is going to be crap. Be careful how much current bump-up you decide to do. I found when using my SSX3 I really didn't need to mess with modding the driver as the lamp was already getting pretty hot when on high. Still, if you used an emitter like the XP-L HI I'm betting you would get a nice bump-up in throw without over-heating the lamp ( but this is just my opinion ).

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks for the advice, an XPL2 is a good idea, I'll try that out - if I can find some. The BT40s is about 3500K, right?

mtbr member
    Be aware that in Poland about 1000 pcs of ssx2 clones were recalled from market in cause of fire hazard during charging .

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipway View Post
    Thanks for the advice, an XPL2 is a good idea, I'll try that out - if I can find some. The BT40s is about 3500K, right?
    No, it is about 5000K. To pair BT40 with something more narrow you might try:

-Geniue NW SS X2 from KD if you want to stay on cheapo side. No that is soo good (still needs internal inspection and adding thermal paste), but comes with NW leds XM-L2 3C.
    - KD BL2S - bit wider beam
    - same as KD2 wich has the best user interface but it needs some tweaking. There is thread about it.

Not the best lights, but usable and all have NW leds out of the box, that's why I've listed them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Thanks Dominik for the warning, but I'm using some different battery packs and a rc hobby charger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ledoman, I already had an eye on the two Kaidomain lights, will probably order one or two kd2 to play around...
    Right now I'm pretty busy renovating our kitchen. New water pipes, electrics, floor... and at least 8 different light settings so indoor has to be done first. On the other hand that's the reason why I have to ride at night. So maybe safety first and do the outdoor lights first? Well, probably my wife has clearer priorities