Sigma Evo X- something's loose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Sigma Evo X- something's loose

Tonight was the first time my Evo X gave me any problems. About halfway through, my light randomly turned off. "Oh great, battery's dead" I think. I change the battery and it turns off again in another mile . There's no way two fresh batteries could die in a 30-mile ride, so I start to get worried. I would click the light back on and it would stay on for about 15 seconds. A few miles later, it would last 10 seconds. Then 5, and by the time I got home the light wouldn't even turn on. Just to test, both lights powered my Sigma Evo light just fine, but it's not nearly as bright as the Evo X.

I took the bulb out and tried to put it back in, just to make sure the bulb wasn't loose. That didn't help. Second, I loosened and tightened the screws holding the bulb's "plug-in." Past that, I have no idea how else to take the light apart. Has any other member had this problem?
    "I'm a raging workaholic; I'm a working rageaholic"
    -George Carlin

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You can easily get to the inside, just remove the bulb and the electronics will be behind it (IIRC - it was a long time ago...). Mine made a nice smoke, so I just short-connected the wires, so the bulb was running directly from the battery.
    Why not get an LED light instead? Today's single LED lights are noticeably better than your EvoX (the Evo is below the scale, I'm afraid...), and multi-LED lights simply blow it away (while doubling/tripleing the runtime). The EvoX was a nice starter light a few years ago, but today - it's a better world ;-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've been thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I can afford it right now. I just graduated high school and all the laid off factory workers are taking the grocery store/fast food resteraunt/big box store jobs that my age normally has. I bought the Sigma kit last year for $15 (NOS), so I bet I could resell it for what I paid if I do get a new light.

If I do, what would be the best light for around $80? I'm guessing there isn't much compatibility with the two Sigma batteries I have?
    "I'm a raging workaholic; I'm a working rageaholic"
    -George Carlin

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you wanna go real cheap, buy a torch from DX, for about $20 you get a single LED torch which runs on AA batteries.
    Or you can get P7/MCE based torches for about $40, but then you'll need 18650 cells, and charger for the cells, a helmet mount, a handlebar mount... and there goes your $80. Quality is questionable, but quite a lot of people on these forums run these torches and they love'em. Give it a try.

Members who have read this thread: 0