mtbr member

Sigma Buster 700

I think this lights different appearance was half the reason I decided to give it a try. I definitely like its angular shapes but it's different enough I'm sure not everyone will agree with me on this. After catching my eye, further research only turned up a couple of meh videos but also an encouraging spot on the road.cc light comparison site. No review there unfortunately but beam shots and output charts showed it to be the equal to anything under 900 lumens even though it's only rated to be a 700. So add a little brand curiousity and a reasonable /affordable $60 price and the light is mine. Here's a couple of shots of the light and I couldn't resist doing a quick bounce test of the three steady modes off a full battery charge. Hi/Med/Low were 970/465/240 lumens which is impressive but as we all know flash readings mean very little when dealing with single cell self-contained lights, hopefully more in depth testing won't be a let-down!
    Mole

Sigma Buster 700-013.jpg

Sigma Buster 700-005.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's a few more shots in better light + helmet mounted. I weighed the light with the bar mount (145g) and with just the Gopro adapter (130g) so positioned right in the middle of the micro and regular Lumina's. Shining the light on a wall revealed a round and wider than expected beam with a tint that pretty closely matched my 5000K Gloworm CX. Light's on the charger right now and hope to get a output curve done tonight.
    Mole

Sigma Buster 700-001.jpgSigma Buster 700-005.jpgSigma Buster 700-006.jpgSigma Buster 700-008.jpgSigma Buster 700-009.jpg

Too this to show size of the Buster 7. Pictured left to right: Buster 700, Lumina 1200, Ion 1300, and Ituo Wiz1.

Sigma Buster 700-001-2-.jpg

mtbr member
    Output vs. runtime test revealed some good and bad characteristics. Unfortunately it did not maintain a reasonable output in the highest mode for its claimed 2 hrs. Judging from when the mode button turned red (68 min.) indicating 30% remaining battery capacity I'm sure it will technically reach the 2 hr. claim by finishing out the last 45 min. at about 100 lumens but for me 77 min. is its usable limit. I'm going to try contacting the vendor I got the light from to see if they think this is normal but from the very few reviews I've read short runtime in high has been mentioned and considering the lights higher than expected output I'm guessing this is what you should typically expect. Good news is that output amounts in the runtime challenged high mode are more typical of what you would expect from a light rated @ 850 -1000 lumens rather than the claimed 700. Tonight I'm going to try to do the medium mode (350 claimed lumens), results should shed some light on how easy it will be to put up with the runtime limits of the high mode.
    Mole

Buster 700 = red line
    NR Lumina 850 micro = blue line
    Sigma Buster 700-lumina-850-vs.jpg

Sigma Buster 700-buster-7-vs-nr850micro.png
    Thank you road.cc

mtbr member
    Med. mode report: Same story line as in high, much higher lumen output than claimed and only about 60% usable runtime compared to claims. The Buster 7 didn't run very long in the claimed <30% battery capacity range (red on battery life/mode button) so usable range of the med. mode may possibly be extended buy switching back to high at the end of the usable range but will have to try that to see if and how long it would make any difference.
    Mole

Red = Buster 7 in high mode Green = Buster 7 in med. mode Blue = NR Lumina micro 750 high mode base chart
    Sigma Buster 700-nr-micro-750.jpg

mtbr member

Interesting UI

My initial thoughts on the double click to turn on/hi/med/low/flash/press and hold to shut off UI were meh, another single program light that requires clicking through the flash mode when in this case you want to get to one of the other forward modes from low. Sigma added a feature that makes this more than acceptable though! A double click in low or med. will switch the light to the hi mode and a double click in the hi mode will switch it back to low. This allows you to avoid the flash mode if you so choose, have a single operation between all the steady modes except going from low to med., and have a hi/low option for courteously dealing with oncoming pedestrians and cyclists .

Additionally I had some contact with Sigma yesterday. My email to them about the shorter than claimed runtimes and battery specs. got a response in a couple of hours providing the battery info. and requesting the runtimes I was getting to help them determine if I had gotten a bad unit. I replied with the information they requested later yesterday but have not had any additional contact yet. I'm thinking output and runtimes I got are about all you could expect from a 3000 mAh 18650 so will be surprised if my current results can be improved upon.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 1 Week Ago at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Nice test! Keep us posted on what you find and what Sigma says. I agree that you really can't expect much more out of a single cell 18650. Makes me wonder when we will start seeing 2070 or 2170 cells being used in these bike lights. I've not had the time to work on it recently, but am wanting to put together a 2-cell 2170 pack for one of my current lights.

mtbr member
    I found it odd that output curve had that drop from about 400lumens down to 100. Playing around with the light I realized it actually stepped down to low mode and that by double clicking it would return to high and them gradually go down to the 100 lumen level. The Sigma Rep. did get back to me and mentioned that He had got his light to run the full 2 hrs. in high but for quite awhile it was pretty dim. Sounds like a match to my lights performance and am assuming that the step down point was chosen so the 2 hr. point could be reached. So if your 10 min. out till your off your bike you have the option of double clicking and getting some extra brightness but beyond that it might be a good idea to leave things alone and have the extra time in the "be seen" output range.

Red line is original output curve w/step-down. Green line represents change in the curve if you double click at step-down.
    Sigma Buster 700-lumina-850-vs.jpg

At this point my testing has hit a brick wall. Doctor won't release me to ride yet and review can't move forward till that happens. It's looking like this might make a very good alternative to a Niterider Lumina 850 micro for those who want a self-contained helmet light. I guess I'll figure that out when I finally get to do a test ride.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 1 Week Ago at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review MRM. Hope you get better soon. I lost 5lbs over the last week ( from what I can tell ). Started my diet just after the Superbowl ( as I usually do ). Hoping to get my health on a better up-swing so I can start doing rides again in the spring.

I think if you get one hour on the high mode that's pretty much to be expected. The Raveman CR900 on high gets about the same. Advantage to the CR900 is the programmable mode. If I adjust the output just a tad I get a great output and another half hour run time ( @ ~ 600 - 700 lumen ).

Plan on ordering a new CR900, just haven't had good enough weather yet on my off days to bother ordering yet but likely might put the order in this week and hope for better weather by the time it comes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    Thanks for the review MRM. Hope you get better soon. I lost 5lbs over the last week ( from what I can tell ). Started my diet just after the Superbowl ( as I usually do ). Hoping to get my health on a better up-swing so I can start doing rides again in the spring.
    Thank you. I hope I can follow you lead on the weight loss cause I've put on an extra 7lb from being off the bike for the last month. I see the Cardiologist next Monday to review a Nuke stress test I took today and am hoping to be cleared to start riding again.

I think if you get one hour on the high mode that's pretty much to be expected. The Raveman CR900 on high gets about the same. Advantage to the CR900 is the programmable mode. If I adjust the output just a tad I get a great output and another half hour run time ( @ ~ 600 - 700 lumen ).
    Agreed, have to remind myself that my typical 30-50mi. night rides are not really what these lights were designed for. Med. mode on the Buster 7 looks like it will handle the 30 milers fine though. It's only rated at 350 lumens but actually you get about 2:20 of 300-500 lumen output. For longer rides I just need a different tool. My other un-roadtested light the Wiz1 has a max. output between high and med. on the Buster and a much larger capacity battery (and it's programmable) and expect to get a good 3 hrs. of usable runtime and should have me covered for the longer rides.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    ...For longer rides I just need a different tool. My other un-roadtested light the Wiz1 has a max. output between high and med. on the Buster and a much larger capacity battery (and it's programmable) and expect to get a good 3 hrs. of usable runtime and should have me covered for the longer rides.
    Mole
    Yep, my Wiz-1 ( 26650 version ) set up with an ~ 5200mAh Orbtronic cell makes for a really long running self-contained bike light. Shame I don't use it more often but I really am too used to the wider beam pattern of the Raveman lamps. Once you've gotten used to the wide beam pattern of the Raveman's it really is hard to go back to riding on the road with any lamp using a typical narrow / conical beam pattern. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to buy the newer Raveman CR700 which allows use of an external USB type battery but currently I don't see those being sold anywhere yet so I might have to wait a while if I want one of those.

mtbr member
    I hear what your saying about the beam. I haven't gotten to ride with the Wiz1 yet but it looks pretty narrow (at least in the main spot). I few yrs. back when I first got my Gemini Xera Jim at Action sent me a smaller version of his wide angle (elliptical) lens cover to try with the optional reflector which just happens to fit the Wiz1 perfectly. 10/30 degree beam angle should make that a great utility light and anticipate that's the setup I'll end up using. I like the larger capacity battery Idea for most of these single cell lights but maybe not for the Buster 700. I'm thinking helmet use is going to be its forte (compared to other existing lights) where the extra weight of a larger battery wouldn't be welcome. If I could figure how to take it apart I'd be all for sticking a 3400 cell in it though.
    Mole

https://www.merlincycles.com/ravemen...ht-117449.html