Shipping lights overseas - anyone have experience in this area?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Shipping lights overseas - anyone have experience in this area?

I'm trying to get a set of buster 2000's from Starbike (Germany).
    They we're returned to the seller (via DHL) as the lithium batteries are "hazardous".
    Piles of Chinese lights with lithium batteries are sold in the US and they get here somehow...
    Anyone have experience shipping lights overseas?
    How can I get my lights shipped over here from Germany? Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
    It's winter so I have all the time in the world.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have never shipped batteries via DHL but FEDEX requires certain markings and depending on the size of the batteries, they might need to be in separate packages.

DHL has a couple documents on their website.

DHL | Lithium Batteries | English

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Maybe just buy one from Sigma Sport off Amazon?????

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Sport-P.../dp/B000JJ1T7K
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Maybe just buy one from Sigma Sport off Amazon?????

https://www.amazon.com/Sigma-Sport-P.../dp/B000JJ1T7K
    I viewed the little video that Amazon had of the Sigma sport Buster on their website and was not impressed. As I've said before I'm not a fan of lamps with triple ( multi-optic / round ) configurations. My bet is that it has a very limited hot spot and therefore limited throw. Likely more or less a massive flood. The video did nothing to show what the output and beam pattern is really like. There is also the fact that the battery looks to be proprietary and therefore limiting the buyer to using only the original battery pack. That by itself is good cause not to buy one, especially at the price they are asking. If I were to buy a lamp set with a proprietary battery likely the only one I would consider buying would be Lupine. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere if looking to buy a new lamp set.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Idea!

The Sigma Buster 2000 gives a fair bang for the buck - in my opinion.
    Remember the wireless remote control and different mounting options (handlebar, rubber like knog and GoPro).

Measurements:
    We Test Lights | Buster 2000 HL Test and Review

Buying at amazon.com is an good idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I didn't buy domestic because the lights msrp is $300 and the best I could get them for was $260 a copy. (Ordering 2).
    Price at the time in starbike was 162ea (gone up since) so that saved me $200.
    Since ordering, it's been cancelled as the shipping was outrageous.
    Investigating alternatives... A few sites have sold them locally in the past for near $200 so that is my buy price.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    The answer how chinese lights arrive via postal shipping is probably misleading or incomplete content declaration of the sender. I guess most of them are shipped breaking the mentioned IATA rules (from the DHL link) or are shipped by sea on the slow route. Imo most of chinese sellers do not care about these rules.
    Hopefully there will never be a cargo fire during a flight due to undeclared batteries...

[Edit: restricted in such a way that lithium batteries are not allowed in the cargo area in a passenger aircraft]. DHL writes they can handle li-ion batteries in their DHL express service, but i guess in this case they use designated cargo machines.]
    Last edited by biking_tg; 01-31-2019 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Lithium Ion Batteries packed in a unit is not restricted as per SP A123

If shipped loose it will be hazmat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    I viewed the little video that Amazon had of the Sigma sport Buster on their website and was not impressed. The video did nothing to show what the output and beam pattern is really like. There is also the fact that the battery looks to be proprietary and therefore limiting the buyer to using only the original battery pack. That by itself is good cause not to buy one, especially at the price they are asking. If I were to buy a lamp set with a proprietary battery likely the only one I would consider buying would be Lupine. Otherwise I'd look elsewhere if looking to buy a new lamp set.
    I found this youtube video on the Sigma Buster 2000 that does a better job of showing the beam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TygnK69eTHA

As I've said before I'm not a fan of lamps with triple ( multi-optic / round ) configurations. My bet is that it has a very limited hot spot and therefore limited throw. Likely more or less a massive flood.
    I'm surprised you feel that way knowing you own a Gemini Olympia. Maybe not a great thrower but not bad either. Far better than the Olympia in the multi-optic/round category is the C&B Seen 1900 3up. Max. lux readings on that one are equal to what I get with my 1700 lumen version Gloworm X2. Always exceptions to everything and I agree in general that most lights with multi-emitter/round optics struggle with good throw + that video sucks!
    Mole