Sharing My Night Ride with My Modded BT40S & BT21- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sharing My Night Ride with My Modded BT40S & BT21

Went on a night ride this past Wednesday evening. Actually we started in the daylight, arrived at the "Begin Downhill" location before dusk, killed time until it was dark, took off down the wrong "trail", then corrected course to the correct trail. My buddy "Mojo" was riding with a stock BT40S kit (one with the wrong U3 chip, so a little lower on output) and no helmet light (I warned him!). I rode with my heavily modded BT40S running 4x Nichia 219C's at 2A each max and my almost stock BT21. Ride was awesome, but I did feel like I could have used some more light output, or possible better directed light (i.e. place the lumens in the right places).

Sorry the camera is pointed too far down in the night video. I tried my best with all kinds of test rides to get it aimed perfectly too! Seems I lean over even further than I expected to. And I'm guessing the helmet mount was a little loose and therefore shaking the camera in the daytime video.

I took a ton of video with a lot of narration, but haven't had the time to edit it all together yet, so I've simply uploaded the RAW "Downhill Section" of video to share (I'll come back and post if I get a full edited video posted). Here is the video link.

Here is a link to the same trail section in the daytime when I rode it 2 weeks earlier.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Ok I am back with the full edited video. It turned out to be over 51 minutes long, but about 26 minutes is the "descent" portion. I did do some "light analysis" before the "descent" portion of the video.

Link to Video

Props to Vancbiker @ 3:35
    Scenic Lookout (daytime) @ 6:00
    Light Analysis @ 18:19
    Begin Descent @ 22:41

BTW - I'm using "Shotcut" now to edit videos and really like it. It's free to use.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice, and thanks for the promo!
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Very nice video Garry, Thanks! I got to ride with the same light setup (except stock BT40s) last night trail testing how a L&M Taz strap mount works with the BT40s and 35mm bars (perfect IMO). Agree the camera makes the hot spot of the BT21 look more pronounced. Visually the two beams blend together much better in actual use. Also give Mojo a from me for getting 25 mph speeds on his fat bike.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    When you were riding what was wind speed?

mtbr member
    No wind that evening. Air speed created by bike movement I can only estimate at about 10 to 15 mph.

-Garry