Setup Suggestions- Having trouble narrowing down options.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Setup Suggestions- Having trouble narrowing down options.

Hi everyone,

Now that daylight savings has hit, I am looking for a nightride setup to take advantage of the fact that this may be my last few month where I can ride after work.

This forum has been super knowledge filled and helped me narrow down what I think I want. However, there are so many options and factors out there that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, even after hours of research.

I am looking for a complete light setup (helmet and bar). Ideally under $200 but could swing $300. The trails I ride are quite rocky with not a lot of light pollution (Santa Barbara area), but I do not bomb the runs. My average ride is 1:20 up and 25 minutes down.

I was thinking of something like the Gloworm alpha as a bar light and a niterider lumina 1100 boost for a helmet light (take advantage of the REI 20% off coupon), or maybe the Lezyne or Cateye equivalents, as there seems to be some sales on those brands. But I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I actually have a handful of nite rider swift 350s.

The nightrider swift 450 is onsale fo r35 bucks right now.

I throw noth on my handlebars and run one at a time if I am running a really long night ride. I know my trails so well that I run handlebar lights. They are extremely rocky and technical trails and I am usually riding quite fast. Because of the built in battery and silicon latch mechanism, I can also strap one to my helmet with no issue. I got very sick of dealing with the massive lights with battery packs. I just don't need them and these are super bright.

Here is the light setup with on the handlebars:

https://www.strava.com/activities/89...ts/21716618599

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bb16 View Post
    Hi everyone,

Now that daylight savings has hit, I am looking for a nightride setup to take advantage of the fact that this may be my last few month where I can ride after work.

This forum has been super knowledge filled and helped me narrow down what I think I want. However, there are so many options and factors out there that I am feeling a bit overwhelmed, even after hours of research.

I am looking for a complete light setup (helmet and bar). Ideally under $200 but could swing $300. The trails I ride are quite rocky with not a lot of light pollution (Santa Barbara area), but I do not bomb the runs. My average ride is 1:20 up and 25 minutes down.

I was thinking of something like the Gloworm alpha as a bar light and a niterider lumina 1100 boost for a helmet light (take advantage of the REI 20% off coupon), or maybe the Lezyne or Cateye equivalents, as there seems to be some sales on those brands. But I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks for the help!
    2 Alpha's would still fit under your max. budget limit and make a nicer/better performing setup than mixing the Alpha with a Niterider. Not that the Lumina is a bad light but compared to the Alpha it's heavy for helmet use, wouldn't have enough run time to operate at more than a mid level setting for your described average ride, makes less power, has non-changeable optics so delivered beam pattern is what you get. Only real drawback to the Alpha I can see is it is a brand new light with no track record. Gloworm's have always been very good quality lights though and excellent customer service from Gloworm and Action-LED-Lights if anything did come up (Niterider has excellent customer service too).
    Mole

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    I actually have a handful of nite rider swift 350s.

The nightrider swift 450 is onsale fo r35 bucks right now.

I throw noth on my handlebars and run one at a time if I am running a really long night ride. I know my trails so well that I run handlebar lights. They are extremely rocky and technical trails and I am usually riding quite fast. Because of the built in battery and silicon latch mechanism, I can also strap one to my helmet with no issue. I got very sick of dealing with the massive lights with battery packs. I just don't need them and these are super bright.

Here is the light setup with on the handlebars:

https://www.strava.com/activities/89...ts/21716618599
    I can't imagine running with only 450 lumens (heck, even 900 lumens running two). You're also limited to 1hr 30mins continuous on high. (All based on manufacturer specs.) I guess their cheap enough to buy a whole bunch and carry extras. Would be nice if they made the darn cells user replaceable on the trail, but then again I'd just mount a flashlight and have more output for more runtime anyway.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by angerdan View Post
    The above options would not be available in time for the OP to be able to ride "these last few months".

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

I like turtles
    No need to complicate this - lights are really in many ways...just lights. 2 lights. One bar. One helmet. I would stick with high-quality brands and avoid the cheap Chinese route and with your budget, this should be easy. The self-contained lights are slick with the only downside runtime. They are nice on the helmet so you don't have to dick with cords/batteries. I like the stuff from www.action-led-lights.com - Gloworm, Gemini, etc. Your REI idea is great and the Nightrider lights are very popular; plenty of folks I ride with use them; most of our rides are under 2 hours. Your Gloworm/Nightrider combo sounds on-point to me - just make sure to order the tint to match the other light - IMHO it's weird to have one of each (I have lights like this and don't like it). That would likely mean buying the "day light" tint for the Gloworm as that will be what the Nightrider is. What are your concerns?
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    .....The self-contained lights are slick with the only downside runtime. They are nice on the helmet so you don't have to dick with cords/batteries.
    Downside to self-contained lights is for high output and or long run time, they are too heavy for helmet use. Some of those lights weigh a half pound.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by garrybunk View Post
    I can't imagine running with only 450 lumens (heck, even 900 lumens running two). You're also limited to 1hr 30mins continuous on high. (All based on manufacturer specs.) I guess their cheap enough to buy a whole bunch and carry extras. Would be nice if they made the darn cells user replaceable on the trail, but then again I'd just mount a flashlight and have more output for more runtime anyway.

-Garry
    Correction, I run the swift 350 lumen. They punch well above their weight. I typically run one and then I can turn on the other when it runs out.

Perhaps you didn't click on my link to view the picture. These are extremely bright. I have a 300 lumen commuter light which is just enough for people to see me. These are way way brighter. I also have the 2000_ lumen CREEs with battery pack. thy are almost as bright These produce plenty of light for riding very fast, in the dark.

OP,
    Make sure you have a good pair of full wrap glasses that fully protect your eyes from branches. It only takes a few corneal abrasions for me to learn that lesson.
    Last edited by FJSnoozer; 11-09-2017 at 01:00 PM.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    Downside to self-contained lights is for high output and or long run time, they are too heavy for helmet use. Some of those lights weigh a half pound.
    Hence my comment about run time...I guess I just made the assumption that you would run a small unit for the reason you state therefore the runtime suffers due to the smaller size.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks for the help everyone. To keep things simple I ended up going with two gloworm alphas. Pushed my budget a little, but the mounts and quality and run time sold me.