Setup for racing all night long?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Setup for racing all night long?

Been a while since I bought a china light, was a 3up XML that would over heat on high mode all the time. Ate battery like butter, awesome light output though.

Which budget setup would you use for racing 10-12hrs night race? My current setup is two NR lumina 1200boost on bars and a older Lumina 600 on helmet. These are great lights but short 90-180min run times and encased battery will not work well depending on them as sole source for the race.

I'm thinking of china light setup for bars and run the Lumina on Helmet in Med mode.

two sets of these and two extra battery for N+1 failure. I hope it would come within 3weeks I need them and have a night to test them

http://kaidomain.com/S023818-KD-2xCr...ens-Bike-Light

http://kaidomain.com/S022419-8_4V-44...for-Bike-Light

Ideally would be a Amazon/US setup I can get faster if more or just as reliable electronics. Budget $100 ish including extra battery packs. What are you're thoughts

mtbr member
    Kai do better batteries than that.
    http://kaidomain.com/search&search=KBP-18650B

You can get an eight cell...
    http://kaidomain.com/S024616-KBP-186...rch=KBP-18650B

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jsigone View Post
    Been a while since I bought a china light, was a 3up XML that would over heat on high mode all the time. Ate battery like butter, awesome light output though.

Which budget setup would you use for racing 10-12hrs night race? My current setup is two NR lumina 1200boost on bars and a older Lumina 600 on helmet. These are great lights but short 90-180min run times and encased battery will not work well depending on them as sole source for the race.

I'm thinking of china light setup for bars and run the Lumina on Helmet in Med mode.

two sets of these and two extra battery for N+1 failure. I hope it would come within 3weeks I need them and have a night to test them

http://kaidomain.com/S023818-KD-2xCr...ens-Bike-Light

http://kaidomain.com/S022419-8_4V-44...for-Bike-Light

Ideally would be a Amazon/US setup I can get faster if more or just as reliable electronics. Budget $100 ish including extra battery packs. What are you're thoughts
    I've had good luck with the C&B Seen 1900 3up (about 1400 lumens estimated from lux readings). Very efficient output vs. current draw. Here's a link to its thread.
    Mole

http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...p-1059474.html

https://www.ebay.com.my/itm/Panasonic-NCR18650B-7-4V-6800mAh-Protected-Li-ion-battery-for-Bike-Light-2S2P-US/323006645082?hash=item4b34b2435a:g:ZbsAAOSwA3dYRio Q:rk:3f:0

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I like the idea of 3up XPGs!! I made a DIY dual XPG light when they first released driven at 1000mah, they had good battery life.

How long does that 6800mAh battery last in real world?

mtbr member
    I like the idea of 3up XPGs!! I made a DIY dual XPG light when they first released driven at 1000mah, they had good battery life.

How long does that 6800mAh battery last in real world?
    Current draw in the highest setting is 1.5A if that helps. If you buy the lighthead+remote option (which I recommend) you can access a special mode that allows you to run anywhere from 10% to 100% power in 10% increments so run time can be fine tuned. Preset levels (10/30/80%) are odd IMO on this light and unfortunately unadjustable. Lighthead+remote version also comes with a nice sturdy QR bar mount (31.8 max bar size) rather than just the generic band mount.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I tired to order and get error message about my addresses doesn't match on step2, before payment. Changed to work address and same issue. I sent a message through their contact page.

mtbr member
    I tired to order and get error message about my addresses doesn't match on step2, before payment. Changed to work address and same issue. I sent a message through their contact page.
    I was just there and got the same error using my account information so something's wrong with their site. I sent them a message too. ??????
    Mole

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    kaidomain is all messed up. site was down for a few days about a week and a half ago

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    their sight is still messed up, I sent an email last light and they replied back stating they don't know of the problem. I asked for a direct paypal invoice so I can bypass the website. We'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    their sight is still messed up, I sent an email last light and they replied back stating they don't know of the problem. I asked for a direct paypal invoice so I can bypass the website. We'll see what happens.
    Thanks for the update. I've not heard back on the message I sent them although I went through the "contact us" page on the website so that may be the problem. Communication with them has always been slow. Let us know what you find out.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I just tried to order again and still no luck. I received a response for C&B Seen saying they are receiving orders and suggested I try again. Several retry's got the same results . The last attempt I made instead of using my account information (which worked in the past) I skipped the log in option and filled out all my information again. When I went through the list of countries they ship to the United States was no longer listed (or I couldn't find it). Replied back with that information to see if they no longer ship to the US or if they had any other idea's. We'll see what happens!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Saturday morning he sent me a paypal invoice so I didn't have to deal w/ the website. the shipping and VAT was pretty pricey. I should have ordered an extension cable so I can use the battery from Hunk_lee, but two short cords may not fit my needs. One bike has a short 50mm stem, the other has a 110mm stem that would work w/ the two short cords.

The battery that znomit linked would be ideal but the wait time from china isn't something i have. Any like that state side, I also need a charger? http://kaidomain.com/search&search=KBP-18650B

figures the BT40s are back in stock at amazon w/ the bundle after I ordered the light head already

edit: i just ordered 2 of the Hunk Lee 2s2p battery. That part will be here next monday, so I hope to get a few rides with the light setup before my race on the 3rd. Calculated run time should be around 4.5hr per pack minus inefficiency thru wires and connectors.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    You do know Kaidomain is in china correct? I may have misunderstood your post but sounded like you cant wait for stuff from china but are ordering from kaidomain. So a heads up they are not in the US

Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    You do know Kaidomain is in china correct? I may have misunderstood your post but sounded like you cant wait for stuff from china but are ordering from kaidomain. So a heads up they are not in the US

Yah, i debated all weekend what I should do. I ended up not order from Kai and getting from the ebay link above, based on east coast so cross fingers should be here in a week. I'll know once I get tracking.

Kinda what I get for last minute planning. Weatherman said there is chance of rain in 2 weeks. hopefully not true. But I'll dry bag the battery if needed. I have an idea how to mount the battery under my stem short of getting a nifty bag

mtbr member
    Saturday morning he sent me a paypal invoice so I didn't have to deal w/ the website. the shipping and VAT was pretty pricey. I should have ordered an extension cable so I can use the battery from Hunk_lee, but two short cords may not fit my needs. One bike has a short 50mm stem, the other has a 110mm stem that would work w/ the two short cords.
    I got a message from Roger yesterday asking if I wanted to do the same (Paypal Invoice). He also said that they were contacting someone to investigate the website problem.

figures the BT40s are back in stock at amazon w/ the bundle after I ordered the light head already
    I still see "out of stock" when I checked today but I think you'll be happier with the light you ordered. I have both and unless your event is mostly slow tight trails the C&B Seen will make a much better racing light (IMO). BT40 is great for obstical recognition going around corners but the faster you ride the more you'll wish for more throw. I have both lights and only use the BT40 for testing but still get lots of enjoyable use out of my 3up. Even if you need a wide flood if you add one of those elliptical lens covers like I posted about in the C&B Seen 1900 3up thread you'll end up with a wider and brighter beam except for wasted top spill light and excessive foreground light. Only real advantage I see to the BT40 is neutral white emitter tint but that also makes it hard to find a suitable helmet combo without spending considerably more money.

edit: i just ordered 2 of the Hunk Lee 2s2p battery. That part will be here next monday, so I hope to get a few rides with the light setup before my race on the 3rd. Calculated run time should be around 4.5hr per pack minus inefficiency thru wires and connectors
    I've heard good things about those batteries. Should be much better than what you'd get buying a BT40 kit. I was out for a 35 mi. canal ride the other night using the 3up and was amazed how quickly the battery charged up after the ride. These lights require very little current to produce a bright beam with good throw.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well poo, hunk lee said he's out of stock and will take 25day to get here from China. I'm waiting for my refund with him. I sent an email to Action-LED asking about stock on their 4cels with either panasonic or samsung cels

mtbr member
    well poo, hunk lee said he's out of stock and will take 25day to get here from China. I'm waiting for my refund with him. I sent an email to Action-LED asking about stock on their 4cels with either panasonic or samsung cels
    I'm sure you'll have no problem getting batteries from Action (quickly). Very good vendor to deal with. If your still wanting a battery cable extension they carry those too.
    Mole

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I'm sure you'll have no problem getting batteries from Action (quickly). Very good vendor to deal with. If your still wanting a battery cable extension they carry those too.
    Mole
    I've had very good experience with them too. Quick shipping

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Mole

Yep, excellent service.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    What kinda' racing are you doing bud? Like a 24hr Enduro Event? Relay Event?

I personally run NiteRider PRO Series lights... a lot of times at big events that carry through the night, NR will have a pro-van setup... and they lend out batteries to keep folks going all night long... it's awesome. Their team, and their customer service are bar-none man... might be worth looking into, of course budget allowing.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    What kinda' racing are you doing bud? Like a 24hr Enduro Event? Relay Event?

I personally run NiteRider PRO Series lights... a lot of times at big events that carry through the night, NR will have a pro-van setup... and they lend out batteries to keep folks going all night long... it's awesome. Their team, and their customer service are bar-none man... might be worth looking into, of course budget allowing.
    Hope to be doing the 24hr of Temecula on the 3rd. They have a 8hr version too. I normally run the 12hr race solo and need only 1-3 hours of lights. Time changes on the 3rd as well, so 11hr of darkness. Given if my legs don't cramp before sunset.

*Update...Hunk Lee found the battery in stock so guess they are on a Fed Ex truck leaving east coast before they get hit by a storm or few. I order the charger, extension cable and sets of verlcro straps from Action LEDs.

Tracking for the C&B 3up Light head says it arrived in LA today. USPS has it now and I may have it tomorrow or Saturday. I'll run my old battery packs from my 3up XML light for a few days. I don't know the shape of those batteries, but will be good enough for some short 2 hrs rides, i hope. If not I have my Lumina 1100s

Got 1hr MTB lunch ride in plus 3 hrs under the rising moon after work. Made it home in time to read a bedtime story to my 5yo while still being all dusty and stinky

mtbr member
    Tracking for the C&B 3up Light head says it arrived in LA today. USPS has it now and I may have it tomorrow or Saturday. I'll run my old battery packs from my 3up XML light for a few days. I don't know the shape of those batteries, but will be good enough for some short 2 hrs rides, i hope. If not I have my Lumina 1100s
    [/img]
    Sounds like you'll be getting your light pretty quickly. I just got my Paypal invoice today so hopefully early next week for my new one. At $60 delivered they're a bit pricier than when I ordered my first one (<$50). Looking forward to hear what you think of the light. I've used mine a couple of time in the last week and am always surprised how quickly the battery charges afterwards because of the low current draw. I think your old battery would have to be in pretty bad shape if it won't go 2 hrs. with the 3up.
    Mole

mtbr member
    After reading this thread, I went ahead and ordered a C&B 3up with remote (no battery) using the link MRMOLE put at the top of his thread reviewing the light, I added their 2-cell battery case. I already have some new Panasonic 3300mAh cells I can use with the light. Based on the current drain, I should get 2-2.5 hours of runtime with a good 2S1P pack. Shipping to the US was reasonable, hopefully it doesn't take too long for the light to arrive. The website worked perfectly for registration and placing my order, they must have fixed the issue with ordering previously posted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    After reading this thread, I went ahead and ordered a C&B 3up with remote (no battery) using the link MRMOLE put at the top of his thread reviewing the light, I added their 2-cell battery case. I already have some new Panasonic 3300mAh cells I can use with the light. Based on the current drain, I should get 2-2.5 hours of runtime with a good 2S1P pack. Shipping to the US was reasonable, hopefully it doesn't take too long for the light to arrive. The website worked perfectly for registration and placing my order, they must have fixed the issue with ordering previously posted.
    Thanks for the input on the website problems and congratulation on your light purchase. I'm wondering how you plan on using the 3up, bar or helmet mounted? It comes with a nice QR bar mount unless you have 35mm bars. Along with the QR mount you also get a band style mount you could use for helmet mounting (you may already have a helmet mount that would work). Gopro style mounts are also available for $5 or less. Look forward to hearing what you think about the 3up!
    Mole

mtbr member
    I plan on using the 3up as a bar mount as I have a Magicshine MJ-900 that I recently purchased and seems like it should work well as a helmet mount light. I also have other lights so it will be interesting to do a comparison between the 3up and the other lights I have. Also, just for fun, I ordered a Kaidomain KD 2 light since it was fairly inexpensive and has gotten some positive feedback on MTBR. That will put my total number of lights to choose from to 6.

I'm hoping that since 18650 cells have increased in capacity, I can get away with 2S1P packs for any of the lights I have and be able to do a trail night ride for up to 2 hours.

The fun part is these lights don't cost much, and I have access to loads of 18650 cells. I'm even looking at putting together some 20700 or 21700 packs as I have some of those (Moli) cells also. A pair of 20700 cells in series will give me as much as 4Ah at 8.4V. So there would be no need for me to carry a 4 cell pack.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I plan on using the 3up as a bar mount as I have a Magicshine MJ-900 that I recently purchased and seems like it should work well as a helmet mount light. I also have other lights so it will be interesting to do a comparison between the 3up and the other lights I have. Also, just for fun, I ordered a Kaidomain KD 2 light since it was fairly inexpensive and has gotten some positive feedback on MTBR. That will put my total number of lights to choose from to 6.

I'm hoping that since 18650 cells have increased in capacity, I can get away with 2S1P packs for any of the lights I have and be able to do a trail night ride for up to 2 hours.

The fun part is these lights don't cost much, and I have access to loads of 18650 cells. I'm even looking at putting together some 20700 or 21700 packs as I have some of those (Moli) cells also. A pair of 20700 cells in series will give me as much as 4Ah at 8.4V. So there would be no need for me to carry a 4 cell pack.
    I'm curious to see your results. Let us know

arc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Hopefully your Panasonic cells come with protection circuits. Both the 3up light and the two cell battery case come without low voltage protection. My light starts stepping down around six volts and will run dimly on low until 3 volts. If you don't have protected batteries you will need to be careful not to over discharge your batteries.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the heads-up. I have the standard Panasonic NCR18650B 3300 mAh cells, they only have a vent for an over-current or thermal event. I'd be surprised if the battery case did not include any kind of BMS protection circuit as all the ones I see on eBay do have a circuit. Also, the typical BMS circuits include all the protections like over-current, under-voltage, over-voltage, and even cell balancing. So unless there is no circuit at all, it should have those standard features,.

When I get the battery case I'll take it a part and check to see what type of circuit it has. If it doesn't have a good BMS circuit, it's easy enough to add one to the pack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    well all the parts finally arrived, I can do a shake down ride tomorrow after work, 2nd battery cell test on Friday. Charge up and race Saturday.

Action LED Lights was FAST, his charger, extension cord and velcro straps arrived on monday

Hunk_Lee Ebay battery from Jersey arrived Tuesday, charged on up today at work for tomorrow's ride

C&B shipped out FAST, shipped from UK on Monday and arrived here Weds morning. It was stuck in customs for 3 days, got sent to San Diego Saturday, Got sent back to LA on Sunday, Back to diego on Monday, and FINALLY delivered today. Light head is smaller than I expected, figured it would be close to the 3up XML.

I figured out the magic trick code on the remote to unlock the 10 step feature on the remote. I wonder how long that coin battery in there will last.

lo mode

mtbr member
    well all the parts finally arrived, I can do a shake down ride tomorrow after work, 2nd battery cell test on Friday. Charge up and race Saturday.

Action LED Lights was FAST, his charger, extension cord and velcro straps arrived on monday

Hunk_Lee Ebay battery from Jersey arrived Tuesday, charged on up today at work for tomorrow's ride

C&B shipped out FAST, shipped from UK on Monday and arrived here Weds morning. It was stuck in customs for 3 days, got sent to San Diego Saturday, Got sent back to LA on Sunday, Back to diego on Monday, and FINALLY delivered today. Light head is smaller than I expected, figured it would be close to the 3up XML.

I figured out the magic trick code on the remote to unlock the 10 step feature on the remote. I wonder how long that coin battery in there will last.
    Last shipment I got from the UK was stuck in customs for a while too. Glad to hear you got everything in time. Wish I could give you some idea on the remotes battery life. At last count I had 35 lights and seem to always have something I'm testing so even my favorites get used far less frequently than they would with a typical owner. Look forward to your ride report!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Some more pics
    C&B Seen 3up XPG vs 2012 model 3up XML

mtbr member
    Hope to be doing the 24hr of Temecula on the 3rd.
    Race Day - Good Luck!
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    it was a fun race/ride until I got heat exhaustion 8hr pedal time into it or about 10hrs from the gun. Only got to ride 2hrs in the dark. The trails were tight n twisty downhill roller coaster at decent speeds. I wish I had the 3up on the helmet and lumina on the bars. I was having to run the lumina 1100 in high mode (900 lumens) just to not out ride the light so easy which I was still doing. Good thing I knew the course pretty well and line locations from the other laps.

Managed 70 miles and 9500 ft of climbing in the 8 hours of doing laps. Looking forward to the next 12hr race end of January

Rod
    mtbr member
    it was a fun race/ride until I got heat exhaustion 8hr pedal time into it or about 10hrs from the gun. Only got to ride 2hrs in the dark. The trails were tight n twisty downhill roller coaster at decent speeds. I wish I had the 3up on the helmet and lumina on the bars. I was having to run the lumina 1100 in high mode (900 lumens) just to not out ride the light so easy which I was still doing. Good thing I knew the course pretty well and line locations from the other laps.

Managed 70 miles and 9500 ft of climbing in the 8 hours of doing laps. Looking forward to the next 12hr race end of January
    Awesome to hear the light worked well. Heat exhaustion is part of it. Staying cool is tough in an all day race. We struggle with it doing laps in a 12 hour

mtbr member

If your 3up is the same as the new one I got Monday (or even if it's the same as my original one) it should provide quite a bit more throw than your Lumina.
    My new one has a little more power but also a tighter beam. Max. lux numbers (intensity measurement used to estimate throw) I got with the new 3up equaled the best throwing under 2000 lumrn light I own (Gloworm X2). Probably also made the beam a little narrow for bar use but I guess it depends on the trails you were on. 3 months to fine-tune your system to work better for you.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    quick update.

Still loving this new C&B seen light head and 4cel battery. I wish I had another or ordered 2 of them. Most of my night rides are averaging 3hrs on mostly twisty single track, so the NR lumina 1100 on my helmet is getting swapped half way thru with it's backup, carrying twice the weight. I may try to run the C&B 3Up on the helmet soon and use my old floody 3up XML light on the bars, power draw on that is 2000-2100 mah so I should still get some decent run time with the hunk lee battery.