Set a new PR while night riding my local Trail!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Set a new PR while night riding my local Trail!

I thought I'd share that on my 2nd night rider ever I was somehow able to set my new PR for the 3 mile loop I typically ride after work. Surprisingly I've found that my local trail actually seems easier at night. Somehow my lights actually make the trail look smoother/easier. I found that I was braking less and just going after the trail like never before.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

My setup:
    Niterider Lumina 1200 boost on the handlebars (Running the 3rd setting at 1000 lumens).

Niterider 850 Micro for helmet (Running full 850 lumens)

This forum is about the only place where I've read some negative things about niteriders. Two rides in and I'm thrilled with them. If the output is truely lowering shortly into my ride I'm unable to tell. Obviously I can't speak to long term performance though.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by todd123 View Post
    ......If the output is truely lowering shortly into my ride I'm unable to tell.
    In a 3 mile ride you should be done before they dim too much. Also your eyes adjust to the lowering output.

Back when I did some 24 hour racing I only had a single ~300 lumen halogen bar light (couldn't afford 2 lights) depending on the course, 11-15 miles, my best night lap would be within 4-6 minutes slower than my best day lap. Part of that was due to fatigue, part was due to having ride a bit slower on the fastest parts of the course due to not having enough light, and part was because batteries were fricken heavy back then .

Even if your combo is outputting only 1000 lumens at the end of a ride, that's still enough for pretty much any trail.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    I set a PR on my local 6 mile loop during a night ride that stood for several months. Can't explain why, but riding fast just seems to require less effort in the dark.

I used a TrailLED DS helmet light on high which is 3000 lumens.

I often ride with the light on medium at around 1500 lumens, but I simply can't see well enough to ride full speed on that level.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I set a PR on my local 6 mile loop during a night ride that stood for several months. Can't explain why, but riding fast just seems to require less effort in the dark.
    I think it could be a combination of the cooler conditions at night and the fact that while out riding at night you are super focused on the ride. No real reason to mess around when you are out in the woods by yourself at night. That's how I feel atleast.

mtbr member
    Some of your speed could be due to the inherent focus required in night riding. No wandering eyes way up the trail or to the side. As far as light levels, I have found oddly that now having 5000 lumens available to me in the form of 2 Gloworm XS lights (one on the bar with WSW optics and one on helmet with SSS optics) I ride mostly in "trail low" mode which is 900 lumens each. But boy, when I come to a super high speed section or approaching a trail head where 2-legged mammals may be lurking, a click of the remote on the bars makes it like day! Additionally, when I made the switch to neutral white optics, my visual acuity especially with colors and depth perception is dramatically better than with the brighter but "whiter" lights I used to run (Gemini duos and the old reliable MS 808's. Oh, BTW, congrats on the PR!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    In a 3 mile ride you should be done before they dim too much. Also your eyes adjust to the lowering output.
    I typically ride 5-9 miles on my after work rides. I just try my hardest on that first 3 mile loop. I don't really see my after work mileage increasing in the near future due to the time commitment it takes to travel to the trailhead and then get the ride in.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    Some of your speed could be due to the inherent focus required in night riding. No wandering eyes way up the trail or to the side.
    I think this is spot on. My first ride with lights wasn't timed but I felt fast then as well. I just didn't expect this during night rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arphaxhad View Post
    Some of your speed could be due to the inherent focus required in night riding. No wandering eyes way up the trail or to the side. As far as light levels, I have found oddly that now having 5000 lumens available to me in the form of 2 Gloworm XS lights (one on the bar with WSW optics and one on helmet with SSS optics) I ride mostly in "trail low" mode which is 900 lumens each. But boy, when I come to a super high speed section or approaching a trail head where 2-legged mammals may be lurking, a click of the remote on the bars makes it like day! Additionally, when I made the switch to neutral white optics, my visual acuity especially with colors and depth perception is dramatically better than with the brighter but "whiter" lights I used to run (Gemini duos and the old reliable MS 808's. Oh, BTW, congrats on the PR!
    I agree about the color. I'm having my light modified with 4000K high CRI LEDs Less glare and visible dust, and just overall easier to read the terrain.

mtbr member
    Same thing would happen for me in my rallying. Night stages felt like a video game because of how hyperfocused you become on just what's in front of you and nothing else. My stage times would fall by several seconds on repeated passes in the night.

https://youtu.be/NMDI53gOFiQ?t=4m10s

This is where my passion for lighting really began. That onboard video is me co-driving, never got any onboards of me driving at night. The lighting in that video was designed by myself as well. Wide even coverage is the name of the game for rallying since the roads are twisty, and it was the inspiration for the Trail light.

This is a little more adrenaline inducing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mDDq97tmzk

That driver (Kris Meeke) is actually running a set of the Downhill Package in the Alps!

mtbr member
    For me it's never been about how fast I'm going. What I did notice when I first started riding at night is that I tend to take technical features differently than I do when riding in the day. At night I don't always get the best line so it ended up making me better at handling rocks and roots. The down side of riding at night is that I don't trust going over the larger items like good sized logs or log pyramids. If you can't see what's on the other side ( because of shadows ) you take a chance of taking a tumble if you hit something the wrong way. At my age I'm more hesitate about doing something that might end up with me falling to the ground....( been there, done that )

Light freak
    All my night ride are PR's (nobody else out on the trail to slow me down!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    funny, this thread is interesting. i set a KOM on strava on a local downhill section. prior to this, i've always been the slowest on the downhill (i love pedaling uphill) but at night, it gives a different perspective (?less clear) & apparently I just tackled/bombed down the hill at speeds I never would've even tried during the day.