Serfas, Niterider, or?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Serfas, Niterider, or?

Hi, I'm looking at getting a new headlight for night rides. I currently have an old Magicshine with the defective battery. It's ok, but I need something more. I'm in Canada, so please keep that in mind that I have limited resources to shop from. I have my eye on a few different lights, all within dollars of each other, except for the Luminas

1- new older model Serfas T1000 with the 3 lights
    2- new model Serfas T1000 with the 2 lights
    3- Niterider Pro 1200

Or I can get 2 Niterider 650 Luminas for a lot cheaper. One for bars and one for helmet. I would use the other top 3 on helmet only, maybe use my old Magicshine on the bars if needed.

Should I look into Magicshine Canada?
    I would like good runtime and battery life. The light would be used on single track...
    Thanks for the input in advance, Forum

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ok, I guess there is no love on here for these lights. Looking at other options now. The Amoeba light by scar looks great! Reading the Nitefighter reviews now.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had a guy send me his Serfas T500 so I could build a GoPro adapter to fit it and I was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. Good beam, bright enough for it's intended use (more of a road/commuter light), and good U/I. I would imagine that the T1000 is similar in function and quality.

50% failure rate of my old NR halogen sets (had 4 of them, nearly $1000 worth!) is what got me started building LED lights. Maybe they have improved, but I won't be sending any money NR's direction again.

If I didn't build my own lights, I'd probably go with the Amoeba. Excellent beam from the reflector he uses. He'll tweak things to suit your needs or preferences. Choice of battery styles and capacities. Upgradeable design. All from a guy that night rides a lot and knows what works and keeps working.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking at getting a new headlight for night rides. I currently have an old Magicshine with the defective battery. It's ok, but I need something more. I'm in Canada, so please keep that in mind that I have limited resources to shop from. I have my eye on a few different lights, all within dollars of each other, except for the Luminas

1- new older model Serfas T1000 with the 3 lights
    2- new model Serfas T1000 with the 2 lights
    3- Niterider Pro 1200

Or I can get 2 Niterider 650 Luminas for a lot cheaper. One for bars and one for helmet. I would use the other top 3 on helmet only, maybe use my old Magicshine on the bars if needed.

Should I look into Magicshine Canada?
    I would like good runtime and battery life. The light would be used on single track...
    Thanks for the input in advance, Forum
    It's a tough time shopping for lights right now with our .75cent dollar.
    I would recommend using two lights for sure for better lighting overall and safety (in case one fails during a ride). I was going to suggest looking at MEC as you would be shopping in Canadian $$ and have free shipping,,, but I just checked and see their prices have gone up a fair bit.

Maybe talk to Scar and see what he can do for you in terms of $$. Maybe stretch your budget a bit and have him build you a full set,(bars/helmet. He's not making a lot of money on his products because he does use quality parts but it wouldn't hurt to ask. If you go with his product keep in mind your getting a quality product from a from a fellow rider that will be there for you well after your purchase. This is NOT a throw away lighting system but one that will last for years.

If you don't have the budget for his Amoeba's,, there are several guys that have used and have good user reviews on the NiteFighter lights. Although I'm not familiar with the products there are good recommendations of what to purchase and quality battery's are included. Lots of reviews on this forum for you to check out. You would be able to afford both bar/helmet set up which IMO would be better than using your old MS as you could get lights that would compliment each other.

Was never a big MS fan but they have improved their products over the last few years so yes if you are interested ,,, shop MS Canada and at least you will know up front the real cost of your purchase. Their battery's are much better now as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks for all of the input and advice, guys. I have an email out to Scar. It's too bad the CAD dollar is so low. My LBS has the new Serfas T1000 on for the same price as an Amoeba... I hate decisions.

I like turtles
    The Serfas is a high-quality light and I would say the same for Niterider. Both of these are "premium" brands you can buy at a LBS and you will get better warranty and support vs. the cheap Chinese lights that are discussed ad-nauseam on this forum (you get what you pay for blah blah blah). The Nitefighter stuff seems to be getting good reviews and will provide a much cheaper alternative to the lights you listed. The Amoeba looks like a cool option too.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cdn11 View Post
    Thanks for all of the input and advice, guys. I have an email out to Scar. It's too bad the CAD dollar is so low. My LBS has the new Serfas T1000 on for the same price as an Amoeba... I hate decisions.
    I was looking at the T-1000 and I'm wondering if it is an old model? the 1200 is the newer model if I'm remembering right. The low capacity 2600Mah battery and claimed 1:40 minute run time on the high setting seems suspect, (just less run time and output than the competition)? The Gloworm/Gemini Duo/Piko have better run times as I'm sure Scars Amoeba does as well, plus more output. Just throwing that out there!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It was the TSL-LT1000 Serfas. The dual light version. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Just curious if you had a look on the MEC website? If so what were your thoughts on their lights? Back in 2009 I had the 600 lumen version of the Triden X Extra and really loved that light. I see now its 1300 lumens and long run times. I think it is just over $300 Canadian and free shipping and will include free return shipping if there is a warranty issue. Sorry,, not trying to make your decision more difficult I swear. LOL.

mtbr member
    I see the 1800 is as low as $180, not a bad deal for the amount of light. My only concern would be a lack of support for a model that is out of production. For the same $$ you can get a Gloworm X2 lighthead and put together your own battery pack. Similar output, superior GUI and ongoing A++ support.

Good luck!
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!