SELF-CONTAINED A to Z- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z

For awhile now self-contained lights have been an increasingly popular and highly researched segment of bicycle lighting. I've collected several several so thought I'd share my experiences and hope other will too. I'm hoping to get opinions on some of the less talked about lights (Cygolite, Knog, Garmin, Portland Design, Moon) to add to the database of Niterider/Ravemen/Ituo/Bontrager/L&M/Zebra light/Gloworm lights that are most commonly owned on this forum.

My single cell lights
    SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-001.jpgSELF-CONTAINED A to Z-004.jpg

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-006.jpg
    Ituo Wiz1
    Weight: 260 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (Y)/25.4 - 35mm bars
    Emitter Tint: NW
    Runtime in high: Approx. 3 hrs.
    USB chargeable: yes

PLUS

high capacity battery/long runtime, programmable presets, solid construction, excellent output consistency, $13 current Amazon price

MINUS
    Modest output (?), simple round beam, may no longer be available as I write ths

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-007.jpg
    Niterider Lumina 1200 Boost
    Weight: 180 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (no)/25.4 - 35mm bars/helmet mount optional
    Emitter Tint: CW (very cool)
    Runtime in high: Approx. 65 min.

PLUS

Customer service/support, reliability, availability, low price

MINUS
    Inconsistent output, shorter runtimes, very cool tint creates a lot of glare in higher modes

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-010.jpg
    Bontrager RT Pro (Ion 1300)
    Weight: 185 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (no)/25.4 - 35mm bars/helmet mount optional (includes Gopro adapter)
    Emitter Tint: CW
    Runtime in high: Approx. 100 min.

PLUS
    Customer service/support, reliability, availability, output and output consistency, good runtimes, nice tint

MINUS
    Pricy, UI program

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-013.jpg
    Sigma Buster 700
    Weight: 145 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (yes)/25.4 - 31.8mm bars/helmet mount included
    Emitter Tint: (warmish)CW
    Runtime in high: Approx. 80 min.

PLUS
    Low price, much higher than claimed output, excellent output consistency, very nice UI program (very likable light to use). nice tint, light weight/makes good helmet light, good value

MINUS
    Short runtimes (but consistent), won't fit 35mm bars

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-017.jpg
    Blackburn Dayblazer 1100
    Weight: 140 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar strap /Gopro interface (yes)/25.4 - 35mm bars
    Runtime in high: Not measurable/approx 1.5n hrs in 800 lumen mode

PLUS
    Customer service/support

MINUS
    Light would enter thermal protection after less than 3 minutes of use in highest mode level, output consistency poor even in med mode level, output high but only for very short periods of time, results were identical on a replacement light sent to me by Blackburn (at least customr support was good), very poor performing light!

Dual cell lights
    SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-dual-top-2-.jpgSELF-CONTAINED A to Z-dual-top-1-.jpg

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-pr900-1-.jpg
    Ravemen PR900
    Weight: 225 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (no)/25.4 - 35mm bars
    Runtime in high: Approx. 150 min.

PLUS
    Low price, good reliability, nice OLED display, surprisingly good off-road beam

MINUS
    -

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-pr900-2-.jpg
    L&M Taz 1500
    Weight: 230 grams w/mount (Amazon
    Mount: Bar /Gopro interface (yes)/25.4 - 35mm bars
    Runtime in high: Approx. 80 min.

PLUS
    Customer service/support, reliability, availability, nice beam shape, output consistency

MINUS
    Strap mount won't hold light in place, short runtime, light not powerful enough to support wide beam

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-wiz20-2-.jpg
    Gloworm CX
    Weight: 240 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (yes) + quarter turn interface/31.8 - 35mm bars/helmet mount included
    Emitter Tint: NW (upcharge option)
    Runtime in high: Approx. 160 min.

PLUS
    Customer service/support, reliability, availability, programmable presets, changeable optics, wired remote, chargeable while in operation from powerbank, field changeable batteries, super throw with xpg emitters

MINUS
    Requires tool to tighten enough to remain stable on mount

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-wiz20-1-.jpg
    Ituo Wiz20
    Weight: 280 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (no)/25.4 - 35mm bars
    Emitter Tint: NW
    Runtime in high: Approx. 135 min.

PLUS
    Low price (currently $27on Amazon), changeable optics, programmable presets, excellent power output, consistent output, fantastic mode button, will not overheat, field changeable batteries

MINUS
    reliability an issue with the Amazon sold lights, may no longer be available
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 1 Week Ago at 06:13 AM.

mtbr member
    MRMOLE - Wiz20 is no longer available

As for those light's there is one more - to the Ravemen - It has quite high self discharge rate. After 2 months it needs more than 2 hours on fast charger, at the same time Fenix BC30R - 5 minutes.
    Last edited by Dominik.M; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:24 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominik.M View Post
    Now I guess we get to wait and see if Ituo brings out the new models they've hinted about or just disappears.

As for those light's there is one more - to the Ravemen - It has quite high self discharge rate. After 2 months it needs more than 2 hours on fast charger, at the same time Fenix BT30R - 5 minutes.
    It would be great if you could write a paragraph or 2 about the Fenix (assuming it's still available). Why you like the light (if you do) is what I'm looking for. Thanks
    Mole

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	1258779
    Bontrager RT Pro (Ion 1300)
    Weight: 185 grams w/mount
    Mount: Bar QR /Gopro interface (no)/25.4 - 31.8mm bars/helmet mount optional (includes Gopro adapter)
    Runtime in high: Approx. 100 min.

PLUS
    Customer service/support, reliability, availability, output and output consistency, good runtimes, nice tint

MINUS
    Pricy, UI program, wont fit 35mm bars
    While there are certainly things about this light I don't like (you nailed it with the UI program, #1 complaint), the included bar mount does do 35mm as well--you have to remove the rubber shim and slot the lower half of the clamp into the other slot. It's snug, and always feels like you are going to break it, but it is an option...albeit one that is unlikely to survive frequent changes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    While there are certainly things about this light I don't like (you nailed it with the UI program, #1 complaint), the included bar mount does do 35mm as well--you have to remove the rubber shim and slot the lower half of the clamp into the other slot. It's snug, and always feels like you are going to break it, but it is an option...albeit one that is unlikely to survive frequent changes.
    Thanks, I did an edit on it so it reads correctly now. Nice light in spite of the less than ideal UI program.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I find it fits and works very well on 35mm bars with the pivot shifted and both rubber shims removed. It grips well and is secure from rotation without the shims.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    I don't like Fenix - my personal favorite is ITUO Wiz20, but due to their unreasonable sales politics or simple greed, they are out of business (I think). I was talking to them about purchase of 1000 pcs of WIZ20 for 27$ - the answer was NO.

I like Fenix for ANSI compliance and hate it for handlebar mount... .
    I've made a mistake I have BC30R.

mtbr member
    I don't like Fenix - my personal favorite is ITUO Wiz20, but due to their unreasonable sales politics or simple greed, they are out of business (I think). I was talking to them about purchase of 1000 pcs of WIZ20 for 27$ - the answer was NO.
    Wiz20 is my favorite of the self-contained lights I own too although the Gloworm CX is an equally good performer (better in some respects). I've also considered the possibility this may be it for Ituo even though they claim that's not the case. They say they will contact me if/when they decide to release any new products so can only hope to hear from Ituo in the future.
    Mole

mtbr member

Bontrager Elite R (1000 lumen wider angle beam from Trek)

I saw this new light from Bontrager in a email I got today. Physical clone of the RT Pro with 1000 lumens and a wider angle beam. Unfortunately retained the RT Pro's UI program but most importantly comes with that excellent high capacity battery so should make a great wider angle bar light for those who like longer rides.
    Mole

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...colorCode=grey

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-bontragerlightioneliter_27821_a_primary.jpg

mtbr member

Cygolite Metro Plus 800 - New test light

SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-002.jpg

Even though it's still a couple of weeks till I'm medically cleared to ride again it didn't stop me from picking up this Cygolite. I can start with all the indoor testing and have always had interest in this model because of how well it maintained it's output consistency in it's "wetestlights" review. I think my light is a updated model since it has a boost mode + performs even better than the wetestlights example. So here's the light meter results. I'm impressed!

Click image to expand. Blue/Cateye Volt 800 Black/Niterider Lumina Micro 850 Red/Cygolite boost Green/Cygolite High Brown/Cygolite Mediuim
    SELF-CONTAINED A to Z-cygolite-metro-plus-800.jpg

Output results are a pretty close match to the Sigma Buster 700 I recently tested which is a good thing considering how much I like that particular light. Output levels are higher than Cygolite's rating and more consistent than any single cell self-contained light I've ever seen. I'm also happy to note that max. case temperature I recorded in boost mode was only 107 degrees which is excellent. I was concerned about this because I noticed the light case is made of plastic but material/design seems to work just fine in 83 degree ambient temp cooled with a fan for over an hour.

Light does have a couple of warts (mount mainly) but seems pretty solid so far. Outdoor testing will confirm one way or the other. Looking forward to finishing up with the road test portion when they'll let me.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 2 Days Ago at 10:54 PM.

mtbr member

As for those light's there is one more - to the Ravemen - It has quite high self discharge rate. After 2 months it needs more than 2 hours on fast charger, at the same time Fenix BC30R - 5 minutes.
    Must be some sort of fluke or perhaps a bad cell or cells. I have the Raveman PR-1200. After having not touched it in months it looks to still have a full charge. Actually all of the Raveman products I own don't appear to have any major self-discharging issues.

@Dominik....I too would like to know more about your opinion of the Fenix lamp you own. Particularly about the beam pattern. You mentioned a problem with the mount. What was the issue with the mount?