Runtime for MS 4-cell 4.4 aH with Duo and Xera- Mtbr.com
    I like turtles

Runtime for MS 4-cell 4.4 aH with Duo and Xera

Noted a few nights ago that indicators turned red after about an hour and a half running my Duo and Xera on high on a night ride. Seems low to me in terms of runtime. I have the MS BAK 4-cell packs (4.4aH). Did a bench test tonight and got the following (~2 hrs 20ish min to flashing red)..details in second pic of my notebook...seems more reasonable. Thoughts? Batteries are less than a year old...probably 20 or so uses.Runtime for MS 4-cell 4.4 aH with Duo and Xera-uploadfromtaptalk1447407409823.jpgRuntime for MS 4-cell 4.4 aH with Duo and Xera-uploadfromtaptalk1447407425537.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TiGeo; 11-13-2015 at 05:31 AM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    Noted a few nights ago that indicators turned red after about an hour and a half running my Duo and Xera on high on a night ride. Seems low to me in terms of runtime. I have the MS BAK 4-cell packs (4.4aH). Did a bench test tonight and got the following (~2 hrs 20ish min to flashing red)..details in second pic of my notebook...seems more reasonable. Thoughts? Batteries are less than a year old...probably 20 or so uses
    Your bench test time for the Duo seems about what it should be based on the approx. 3 hrs I get from a 5200 bat with my Duo but the Xera should run considerably longer. Assuming they were tested with different batteries I would suspect the Xera 's battery is aging faster or maybe the charger used on that bat. has a problem. If the same battery was used for the tests than it's probably that your Xera is not totally compatible with the MS battery. I had a Geoman battery that worked fine with my Duo (3.25 hr. runtime) but would be flashing red @ 1 hour on my Xera and Olympia (yet still run the duo approx. 2 more hours). I'm just guessing at this and what I would suggest doing is to contact Jim @ Action-LED-Lights. I'm sure he can tell you how to test the batteries and whether there might be a compatibility issue with the Xera and that particular battery. Except for extreme temps. one way or the other I can't think of any reason why your runtimes when riding should be any different than your bench test but Jim may have some ideas on that too.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Same here,, I have used both battery's Gemini and the MS BAK 4 cell 4.4aH. The battery readout on the lamp heads always turned red much sooner with MS battery but still ran for a long time after it was showing red.

I like turtles
    Thanks for the info guys.

I like turtles
    Ordered a multi-meter to check them:

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Digit...ords=voltmeter

We will see what I get b/c the Xera's battery has to be low.

mtbr member
    The quality of the charger and maintenance on the batteries will affect how long they will last.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I believe that hobby chargers can measure the capacity of a pack during discharge cycle. I don't know too much about them, however.

Here are some examples
    IMAX B6 AC-DC Charger 5A 50W With US Plug (Copy)
    Turnigy Reaktor 300W 20A 6S Balance Charger

mtbr member
    T-geo, Keep in mind that voltage indicators tend to vary between different brands of lights in how the warning levels are spaced. Always a good idea to do an actual run time test so you know what to expect when you see the different colors come up. Also keep in mind that the timing of the color indicators will change when temperatures at night start to get cold. If you ride in weather colder than 45F expect the run times to be a little shorter.

mtbr member
    Testing with a hobby charger is what you need. That will give you every bit of detail you need including how bad the voltage is sagging. I have a pretty nice one (thanks ledoman) and can test your packs complete with log graphs if you'd like. I can test at the same current draw of your light too so the data is directly comparable.

First thing is to test that your packs are charging to 8.4v. If not, it could be out of balance.

Edit- Mine is the same as that Turnigy Reaktor linked above (a rebranded iCharger 106b).

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

I like turtles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat-man-do View Post
    T-geo, Keep in mind that voltage indicators tend to vary between different brands of lights in how the warning levels are spaced. Always a good idea to do an actual run time test so you know what to expect when you see the different colors come up. Also keep in mind that the timing of the color indicators will change when temperatures at night start to get cold. If you ride in weather colder than 45F expect the run times to be a little shorter.
    Did the test....results above so I would know. It may have been temp related as it was in the 40s the night I rode and they seemed off.

I like turtles
    Ok, got a voltage meter off amazon. I *think* I am doing this right. I picked the "20" setting on the volt side of the dial. I touched the red/black leads to the outside and inside of the plug and got a reading for both batteries of 8.5. I am going to swap batteries and try the run test again for more data and will test the voltage every time the indicator light changes color. I think this may have been related to the colder temps we are seeing now. Still curious as to why the Xera ran the same time that the Duo did so hopefully the battery swap run test will tell me something. Riding tonight but only an hour an its warm today so shouldn't see them change to orange.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that when you disconnect the battery from the light to measure voltage you're removing the load and the battery voltage will rebound.

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

I like turtles
    ^^^So how to you test the batteries?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TiGeo View Post
    ^^^So how to you test the batteries?
    To measure voltage under load, see the first post in this thread. There it is wired up to measure current but to measure your voltage under load you just put your volt meter on the "+" and "-" screws on either one of those connectors. OR, just go down to post #12 in that thread to the last pic and see the easy way to do it. You get current & voltage readings realtime. You can see I used it here in my GearBest Triple XM-L2 review thread (pic posted here from that thread):

In that pic above, the battery with a 0.97A load applied has a voltage of 7.54v.

As far as actually battery testing, I can't find an example (thread post) of me measuring a bike pack, but here's a link to a post where I was testing alkaline batteries where you can see the graphs comparing various cells.

Here, I uploaded some pics I had of when I discharge tested 2 protected Sanyo 2600mAh cells & 2 Sony unprotected 2,450mAh cells in the Fenix 2 cell case, both at 2.5A discharge (+/- a Yinding on High):

NOTE: I don't know why these pics won't show up, but you can click the pics to see them.

On the charger (Sony's) (test complete, voltage rebounded to 7.16v, I tested until the cells hit 6.00v):

Graph comparing those Sanyos and the Sony's:

Here's a graph where I compared the 2S2P Chinese packs that came with my HD-016 & an SS X2 from Amazon:

-Garry