RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.

I have had my eyes on the RichFire SF-619 for a while and I had to get it to see how it performs as a commuter light. A good commuter light should be bright enough to see and to be seen. And it should not blind other road users. The RichFire is a reflector light with a cut off beam. The led is mounted inside on the top of the light head and the beam is reflected forward by the reflector.

So, can you use the RichFire as a commuter light? Yes, I would say so. But it is not perfect and it has some flaws.

This will not be a review. I don’t have the skills to perform a real review. I’m not as ”techie” as many of you are.

I bought it from DX.
    RichFire SF-619 XM-L2 U3 1-LED 800lm 3-läge Cool White Eagle Eye cykel ljus strålkastare (6 x 18650) Gratis Frakt-DealExtreme

It comes in the ordinary package with battery pack, charger and head strap. The battery is a 6X18650 pack with a claimed 8800 Ah. The charger is a typical cheap chinese style charger. I leave this at that with no further comments.

This is how the RichFire SF-619 looks like.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-01_unboxing_sf-619.jpg

The connector is of ”Solarstorm type”. With a threaded cup that is used to lock the lamp and the battery together.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-02_unboxing_sf-619.jpg

The spec says that the led is a XM-L2 U3. Cool white (confirmed by me). Driven at 2.63A (theoretical, see ledoman´s post below).

The user interface is simple and works like this.
    OFF -> FULL (100%) -> MID (50%) -> LOW (20%) -> OFF -> etc (unfortunately you have to click through OFF).
    No blink mode, which is awesome!
    The button is not backlit, which is great in my opinion.

This is how the RichFire SF-619 looks like compared to the now discontinued standard reference commuter light. The Philips SafeRide.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-03_compare_ps.jpg

RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-04_compare_ps.jpg

You can see that the reflector on the Philips is wider and smoother. The Philips also has 2 leds and the RichFire has one.

Now to the interesting part. The beam shots. I’m not good at taking beam shots either and I have used my iPhone. You can’t compare the brightness of the lights by looking at the pictures. The RichFire is brighter. It throws more light.

The RichFire SF-619 on full.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-05_beam_rf.jpg

The Philips SafeRide on full.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-06_beam_ps.jpg

The RichFire has a much tighter, reflected forward beam. And the direct light down into the ground in front of the wheel is a little bit too close and bright (but here I should say that picture exaggerating this effect, maybe due to the snowy road).

The Philips SafeRide has a wider beam that covers the road really nicely.

That said I find the RichFire very useful all the same. More people should use lights like this when biking in traffic.

If I were a lampdesigner I would change the RichFire’s reflector so the direct light in front of the bike were less bright and pushed forward and also make the forward beam wider. Like this.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-07_beam_rf_wish.jpg

Then the RichFire SF-619 would be a winner. The beam works alright but it is strange that it should be so hard to get the reflector right.

At last, I also opened the lamp and took some pictures. The led board is glued to the top inside of the aluminium house. Should be good for heat transfer.
    RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-08_inside_rf.jpg

RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-09_inside_rf.jpg

I will continue using the RichFire SF-619 on my commuter to see how it performs over time. The light checks many of my wishes even if the beam is not completely perfect.
    Last edited by Appel; 01-18-2016 at 04:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks to letting us know about this light in details. The power management part of the driver is tipical XM-L style with LEDA chip. I just don't see the resistors R1 and R2 (on the picture covered by black wire) so we are unable to calculate the current to the led. Housing looks big enough that could stand runing XM-L2 on full power up to 3A.

To bad the beam is not so good. I agree with your comments there is to much in front of tyre. I don't like dark areas between near and far part of the beam either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Thanks for the comments. Even if the beam is not perfect for the RichFire I kind of like this light anyway. It is better that most lights with cut off beam out there. And they are really rare with external battery.

Here some extra pictures on the electronics (if that can be of interest).
    R1: R180 R2: R200

RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-10_inside_rf.jpg

RichFire SF-619. How it performs as a commuter light.-11_inside_rf.jpg

(edited: Corrected the attachment)
    Last edited by Appel; 01-16-2016 at 02:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Appel View Post
    Here some extra pictures on the electronics (if that can be of interest).
    I see "Invalid Attachment specified" instead of pics...

mtbr member
    Pity it doesn't come as a lighthead only version.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    As I can see there are two sense resistors R200 and R180 which in parallel acts as one 0.095 Ohm . LEDA chips has tipicaly 0.25V feedback voltage so:

0.25 / 0.095 = 2.63A to the led

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Am I the only one who finds this expensive for $ 55?. I see too much blinding light right underneath the tyres and some middle 'black holes' and a kind of throwy light in front. Cool white lights are so dazzling...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainking7 View Post
    Am I the only one who finds this expensive for $ 55?
    No, you aren't. I'd order it if headlight-only option were available for about $15...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yes, it is too bad there is not a lighthead-only alternative.

There are not many lights out there with cut off beam. B&M ixon IQ, Sigma Lighster. I would say that the RichFire outperforms those two. The Specialized flux is very pricey and I have not been able to test it. So even if the beam is not perfect for the RichFire it is still interesting (bad though that you need to buy it with crappy charger and supposedly crappy batteries).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    You need to look into the yindings and nitefighters....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    None of them provide cut-off beam.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainking7 View Post
    You need to look into the yindings and nitefighters....
    I have 5+ Yindings and one NiteFighter (BT-21) but I don't use these lights in traffic (just in the forest where I can't blind others).

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Pics bro ;-).

Edit: Put a pic comparison with the yinding and the Nitefighter then. It would be better to compare.