Review: Sanguan K21 2x XM-L2 U2 Light- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Review: Sanguan K21 2x XM-L2 U2 Light

Finally, a new review!

Sanguan K21: Sanguan SG - K21 Bicycle Headlamp-81.25 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

- 2x XM-L2 Cool white
    -Claimed 2000 lumens output (around 1400 actual)
    -3hrs claimed run time (checking, seems easily possible so far)

Includes:
    -Case
    -Lighthead
    -Sanguan QR clip style mount
    -Standard band mount and bands
    -Instructions
    -Hard cased 8.4v Battery Pack
    -Normal Charger and headband (with cable clip)

First Impressions:
    Ill leave my emitter tint thoughts out of this since its a personal preference thing mostly anyway. But it is cool white tint...

Everything is pretty solid quality. Head band, band mount, and charger are all what we usually see. I do like the cool neon green bands which feel tougher and are thicker than the cheap black ones. Light head as a nice clean finished look to it. The stainless button with simple ring for battery indicator light is a nice touch.

Hard case battery pack is kind of large compared to what were used to. Kind of annoyed with one aspect of the battery matter, the proprietary PLUG. Looks similar, but look at the pic, the contact is still 5.4mm but the rest is smaller. Doesnt work with magicshine style plugs. Chargers still don't matter but the connectors don't mate up to other lights or other battery packs. Also cables for light head and battery pack are rather long. To the point I dont think most would need an extension cable for any reason.

Bright, very spotty beam pattern. Reminds me of not quite focused LEDDNA 10deg. Tight spot but a bit more spill to it.

Head runs rather cool. Let it sit at max on my table for a bit at max, was warm but no where close to hot. This is where I started to realize the lumen claims were a fair bit exaggerated.

All In all, nice light, little pricey for output rating and the charge/headband being the very generic ones. Well see if price comes down though.

Nitty Gritty Details:
    -Weight (head only): 125g. ON THE HEAVY SIDE FOR SURE for dual emitter

-Current Draw
    -Low: 0.2A
    -Medium: 0.6A
    -High: 1.0A
    -Turbo: 1.4A
    Not bad considering 2.0A max on driver. Used to seeing them running a bit closer to max output (1.8A) at a 2A draw on a mostly fresh pack. Voltage sag is really minor surprisingly. Pack at 8.04v drops to 7.83v on turbo

The pictures of the GUTS:

-First up, the qr style clip mount. Same one as used on the USB light Im reviewing from them. So have 2 bar mounts now to move lights around at will without messing with moving the mount. Heres the light head side of the mount (mount itself pictured above). Little button on the side of the mount to release it.

-Battery pack is simple really. But connector was wired after installation into the case, change change packs at will. Case is just held together with 4 screws. Does have o-ring seal around seam of the 2 halves, so waterproofing isn't much of a concern.

Cells: Was hoping for BAK, but NOPE, chinese cells.... Still havent had time to do a runtime test (not easy to clear 3 hours of my time lol)

-And the most important part, inside the head itself. It gives me somewhat of a solarstorm feel. Full hollow case with the lip around the perimeter of the emitter pcb. Plenty for this light though and THEY DID use thermal paste. As always PCB is one solid piece.

Optics set up (no I havent messed with it yet, probably wont have time for a while to even attempt to tinker with this light)

Glowing orings

Hollow case:

Driver: Used a dual sense resistor set up (why they dont just use one bigger one is beyond me), dual R250 on Leda chip= 2A output per emitter (yes their in series).

Beam shots:

Low:

Medium:

High/Turbo 100%: Camera wasnt really catching a difference in the 2 since its very minor, so this is "Turbo" pointed low, then up and down the road.

Last edited by tigris99; 12-07-2015 at 12:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Hollow case:

US$81 hahaha, lol, classic garbage, that head is not worth 10$ IMO.

RAKC
    Not worth $10???? Its alot cleaner build that most. Its actually a pretty nice light. And most decent heads cost $30-40

But ya $81 is RIDICULOUS, this light ain't worth that. There is a thread on the other version, couple ppl that own them are pretty happy. And I think this light is pretty nice, just overpriced atm.
    Last edited by tigris99; 11-08-2015 at 11:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Kind of middle of the road. Seems like a decent build, but definitely not enough to justify the high price. How are the battery packs cells? Are they decent or just ransom used salvage cells shrunk together?

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

RAKC
    ^^ working on checking out battery pack, I only got done what I had the patience to do yesterday (really rough day/week). I'll try to get the wrap opened tonight but goal is to at least get beam shots and some amount of video during use (though probably going to be pavement, not up for the climbs of my local trail atm)

RAKC
    OK the OP is updated with beam shots, current draw and pick of opened battery pack. Pack balance is only 0.03V off so no complaints there.

Beam pattern out in the open is not as tight as I thought (or looks on a wall). There is the little hot spot, a bigger hot spot around that , then another then the spill.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not worth $10???? Its alot cleaner build that most. Its actually a pretty nice light. And most decent heads cost $30-40
    I think, Sirius9 is right: mechanical design of light is a junk, despite of pretty looking exterior and nice package.

The only part worth buying IMHO is a battery pack, because of possibility to replace the cells easily...

RAKC
    Well thing being, it works flawlessly. If your planning on modding light to run at higher currents then ya, thermal path is a problem. But as it sits, thermal path works just fine SURPRISINGLY! Case and emitters would be building up serious heat if not. And this thing doesn't get "hot", just at most, good and warm.

I intend on doing a bit of testing as we've already scene solarstorm lights have the same internal design and work quite well for what they are. Which makes me question whether the whole "has to be solid behind emitter" is as necessary as we think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So, here we have underpowered light with no thermal path and unbranded (not even Chinese-branded) battery for $81.

Not for me, sorry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Archie- View Post
    So, here we have underpowered light with no thermal path and unbranded (not even Chinese-branded) battery for $81.

Not for me, sorry.
    And don't forget the proprietary battery connector!

-Garry
    "My Bike Lights" Thread on BLF teardowns, measurements, and beamshots. Moving my photos, PM or post up if you can't see them.

RAKC
    Ya that proprietary connector thing peeved me off lol.

Im trying to do something about the price cause I agree, its ridiculous. Especially with no better cells than anything else.

If the price was right it would be a step between solarstorm and nitefighter. The thread on the other version (K20) had me pretty excited about this light. Which I still think light is nice, just really high priced for a solarstorm (with better finish work on the head by far) with thermal paste and a storage case. $50 range is much more realistic.

Plus side, at least pack was done properly, so itll work for a while. First time besides bt70 pack ive checked on and it was balanced out of the box.

Im going to pull it completely down tonight see how much contact surface there actually is between emitter board and head itself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think this light is only $50 on GB sister site Dealsmachine as is the K20!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It would be nice to find that Sanguan battery available separately somewhere...

RAKC
    Well mot sure how many ppl would want it as its standard pack, proprietary plug, and have to disassemble the pack to get it out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Waterproof & easy to open enclosure with mounting belt is often a problem for bikers: IMHO this one would be great candidate. All what's required is, to swap the cable and put good cells (e.g., one of Hunk Lee's packs) inside...

RAKC
    Well its not that easy to open, 4 screws lol.

Weather has kind of screwed any night riding thus far. My local trail is a mess, im hoping to get down to other trails this weekend. Provided their open.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well its not that easy to open, 4 screws lol.
    Compare that to the opening of another case:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-...gb-982688.html

RAKC
    @ Archie: Sorry been slacking, ya its ALOT easier lol.

OK heres first part of the Video. Gotta get out and ride with it, but cool white bothers me lol. On and trails are all closed, will be till things freeze solid. The one I can ride atm there is too much moisture in the air/on everything for cool white for me, glare is horrible.