Review: Sanguan BU20 USB chargeable Light- Mtbr.com
    RAKC

Review: Sanguan BU20 USB chargeable Light

New one sent for Gearbest. We've seen a couple posts regarding Sanguan lights (original dual emitter version they've released).

SANGUAN SG - BU20 LED Headlamp-39.81 and Free Shipping| GearBest.com

This one is more of a commuter light in my opinion. Only because of the options for brighter lights out there.

That said, Im actually kind of impressed. Taking into consideration the price (get what you pay for) its actually pretty decent. And makes an AWESOME budget commuter or just self contained bike light. Something we havent seen yet that has been worth the time to bother with.

-Rating is 800 lumens
    -Run time of 2 hours on high
    -4 modes
    -Usb Charging
    -Uses XP-G2 R5 Emitters in Cool White.

First Impressions:
    Simple light, lots of plastic, but didnt feel overly cheap. Expected heavier but still feels solid. This is one of the "the beauty is in its simplicity" type products. For $40 its built well enough, usb chargeable, a lot smaller and LIGHTER than my Fenix BC30R (though lower output of course and no fancy LCD screen). Its not high end, but this is one that "will do the job plenty well enough"

The handlebar mount itself works well, the quick release type feature is a bit difficult as the button to release the light is under the head and kind of small. BUT FUNCTIONS.

Most of the case is plastic, with the exception of the top panel. Had me worried regarding heat dissipation till I took the light apart (get to the in a minute). Button is silicone seal around a metal core. Look nice. The silicone ring around the core acts as the battery level indicator as well (typical leds inside). But its much less annoying than the standard silicone buttons we're used to. Rubber cover over the USB port, obvious rubber seals around the optics.

Decided to do a "Cat's shower test" Cause we got ONE rain storm early in the day for like the last month or so. No water internally.

More Technical:

As for output, I put it up next to my Fenix BC3R, 800 lumens without a doubt. This isnt as bright. Not bad, but not 800 lumens worth. Id say more like at or a bit above 600.

Modes are a bit odd. They claim better mode spacing but its NOT. They are rather close together. Not all bad being the light isnt overly bright. The 4 modes not having big jumps makes a bit more sense to me. Between low and max is a obvious difference, but each step is minor.

Run times, dont know yet, havent managed to run the thing out and I didnt get a chance to charge it up fully. Been using it for commuting. Was green for first 5 minutes I used it, been in blue ever since. So run times are pretty good, at least matching claimed.

Here it is opened up:

First thing you notice, Lipo battery pack. That explains both the size and weight being what it is. Says its rated at 4400mah. About right for 2 hours run time vs emitter output.

Full orings on all layers. The Seals for the optics are actually quite large, not just simple orings. The upper plate fits into upper case half, this upper plate is aluminum and screws directly to the back of the emitter PCB. This is sealed with a large oring as well. And explains the thermal path for the emitters. BUT AS USUAL, NO THERMAL PASTE. But ive yet to even feel this thing get warm. Temps here havent gone above 75 anymore so not a great judge but left on high while commuting, stopping and talking etc, never even got beyond warm to the touch.

Optics are the same as the ones from LEDDNA for the XP series emitters. I have the exact same ones, 10 deg is what these are. My camera is sucking at fully showing the tint or the hot spot (time for a new phone) but its a tight spot with some spill, VERY OBVIOUS BLUE TINT AND WASHING OUT COLORS. So tint is known.

-And before anyone asks, yes Im going to mess with it, but only an emitter change, you all know may hatred towards cool white emitters. This is a cool little light though, so I have Nichia 219C's on the way for it (thnx garry for getting me started on those now :P ) Im going to use it for commuting for a while, give my fenix a break.
    Last edited by tigris99; 11-23-2015 at 01:58 AM.

RAKC
    Wanted to update this:

Been running it as my commuter light for a month now, been doing quite well. For the price its working really well, so issues, no water getting in. I did now put nichia 219c emitters in it as we have snow. Coll white is an instant headache in the snow for me.

But its proving to be a good light for those that want something cheap but reliable and usb chargeable.

RAKC
    MTBR is broken, caused double post,lol.

mtbr member
    I have a quick question about this lamp. Judging from the size of the included internal batteries I wouldn't think that this lamp would be able to run more than one hour on high. once again assuming that this lamp is using XP-G2's, with a 600 lumen output a 2 hour runtime wouldn't seem possible ( on high ) at least not with those batteries. I I would also think that in colder temperatures that it would have even shorter run times. Was a runtime test ever done with the lamp on high? Anyway, looks like a nice little self contained lamp. If it can actually provide 600 lumen for 2 hours it would be a great deal and a great bargain!

RAKC
    Ya I haven't run it down to dead, but 2hrs is doable easily. Hit red at 1.5 hrs or more (I wasnt keeping exact time, but I know how many trips home and time it takes per trip).

For it to put out 600, 1.1A/emitter, 2.2A, driver would pull 1.9-2.0 from battery (be better with better efficiency so maybe better) off 4400 pack. It may die right at 2hrs or a little over, ill have to find time to try it. But it will run up close to it easily.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Ya I haven't run it down to dead, but 2hrs is doable easily. Hit red at 1.5 hrs or more (I wasnt keeping exact time, but I know how many trips home and time it takes per trip).

For it to put out 600, 1.1A/emitter, 2.2A, driver would pull 1.9-2.0 from battery (be better with better efficiency so maybe better) off 4400 pack. It may die right at 2hrs or a little over, ill have to find time to try it. But it will run up close to it easily.
    Okay, I'm just having a hard time believing that it uses a 4400 mAh battery. I have a mini self contained light from Xeccon with a single XP-G2. With that lamp I could only get 45 min to 1 hr. on high ( 300 lumen ). On the cold days I could only get 10 minutes of run time before it turned red.

If yours get's near two hrs with little dimming that would be awesome. Hopefully it has some other useful modes. A 400 lumen mode would be perfect for extending run time.

RAKC
    Well they claim 100-75-40-10. Spacing is tight, not sure there is a 10%, seems more like 20.

I compared the size against lipo packs I still have laying around. Size and such matches 2100-2200 mah cells and this uses 2 in parallel. I didn't get a good pic but most of the lamps size is the pack. Driver is build split board in a T to make extra room im guessing.

Like I said can't say it hit 2 or above, but at worst it comes within a few minutes of it.