replacement battery for gemini duo 1500- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    392

    replacement battery for gemini duo 1500

    my battery pack for my Gemini duo cracked and is no longer holding a charge.. I bought in 2015.

    replacement is 70$ https://www.action-led-lights.com/pr...l-battery-pack


    Was hoping someone might steer me to an eBay replacement that works with this light.. not really wanting to spend the 70$ Id rather buy a cordless light for that $

    Does anyone have any good alternative battery links??

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,959
    I've bought from this seller 3x over the course of 4 years. Use them with both Gemini and Gloworm light heads.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...U/221320143805
    They also make 4 and 6 cell packs if that's what you need. No fancy case though so you'll have to devise something yourself.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I've bought from this seller 3x over the course of 4 years. Use them with both Gemini and Gloworm light heads.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...U/221320143805
    They also make 4 and 6 cell packs if that's what you need. No fancy case though so you'll have to devise something yourself.
    Thanks, Do you get decent runtime with gemini and this battery.. its 3200 vs 5400 of the standard battery... my rides are under 2 hrs

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I've bought from this seller 3x over the course of 4 years. Use them with both Gemini and Gloworm light heads.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...U/221320143805
    They also make 4 and 6 cell packs if that's what you need. No fancy case though so you'll have to devise something yourself.
    Pretty sure it's the old Hunk Lee, I've had great luck with their batteries.
    These batteries Ship from New Jersey

    If you're like a lot of us on here, you've bought too many crap batteries and have plenty of cheap battery bags laying around, if not: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000044...4fe03502cLD8q6

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    178
    I recently got a two-cell battery pack from fasttech. They have a 4-cell pack as well, probably linked from the two-cell listing. I don't know if it's the same battery pack that someone reviewed in this forum about a year ago as decent for the money, but the plastic shell looks the same. Inexpensive, but fasttech took their sweet time mailing it. (The quoted capacity is obviously nonsense... I just ignored that part.)

    https://www.fasttech.com/p/9638360

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    Thanks, Do you get decent runtime with gemini and this battery.. its 3200 vs 5400 of the standard battery... my rides are under 2 hrs
    Thanks, bought the one from first link.. ill post back after I receive it.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    78

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    246
    Yep, second the "kaidomain" battery packs. They use Panasonic cells, and are inexpensive. I have 2 packs for my Gloworm lights that are going on 5 years now.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    392
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I've bought from this seller 3x over the course of 4 years. Use them with both Gemini and Gloworm light heads.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...U/221320143805
    They also make 4 and 6 cell packs if that's what you need. No fancy case though so you'll have to devise something yourself.
    First ride with this battery pack you linked and unfortunately it sucks! Lol only made it 1hr 10 minutes on low for 75% of ride...bummer.. would steer clear of this for Gemini duo

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: patski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    I've bought from this seller 3x over the course of 4 years. Use them with both Gemini and Gloworm light heads.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pana-sonic-...U/221320143805
    They also make 4 and 6 cell packs if that's what you need. No fancy case though so you'll have to devise something yourself.
    First ride with this battery pack you linked and unfortunately it sucks! Lol only made it 1hr 10 minutes on low for 75% of ride...bummer.. would steer clear of this for Gemini duo
    That's a bummer, I get 2ish hrs with that battery(bought in '17) on my Gloworm XS. Hopefully you bought from the new jersey shipper so it's an easy return.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cat-man-do's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,225
    Quote Originally Posted by seamarsh View Post
    First ride with this battery pack you linked and unfortunately it sucks! Lol only made it 1hr 10 minutes on low for 75% of ride...bummer.. would steer clear of this for Gemini duo
    You're the first person posting on this forum that has bought a Hunk lee battery that has had problems. ( I own a 2 cell HLee battery and it is still going strong after many years ). Could be you just got a bad one. A two cell with good Panasonic 3400mAh cells should run several hours if being run on a low ( < or ~ 200 lumen ) mode. If I were you I'd contact him through his web store and see if you can return and get a replacement.

    To be fair though I have to admit that I've never put the HL 2 cell I own to an extended run time test. I only use mine for momentary High beam duties used in combo with my Gemini Duo. When I get a chance I'll set my Duo on low and see if it runs more than three hours. Not sure what my low setting is because I programmed mine years ago so likely it's more than 200 lumen.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,959
    Yes I think you guys are right, was HunkLee and now a new seller name. Hadnít noticed that when I posted. Iíve got that 2s pack on permanent watch so I can find whatever Iím looking for in their store.

    Sorry it didnít work out. Iíve bought 2,4,6 cells packs from them depending on what application was needed. Sounds like otherís have too with success.

    My oldest is probably 4 years old and newest 2 yrs. I donít recall the mAh of each but they are lasting about the same as they always have.

    Had you made sure it was topped off with a charge or did you run it straight out of the box?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,709
    I did a runtime test (indoors cooled with a large fan) on my older 1100 Duo last night with that exact battery (less than 1 yr. old) and got 1:55 run at 100% power. I also checked the current draw which showed 1.75A so battery capacity seems OK. Current draw readings for the OP's Duo should be similar so should last longer than 1:10. It could be the battery is not fully charged for some reason but more likely there's just something wrong with the battery IMO.
    Mole

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I did a runtime test (indoors cooled with a large fan) on my older 1100 Duo last night with that exact battery (less than 1 yr. old) and got 1:55 run at 100% power. I also checked the current draw which showed 1.75A so battery capacity seems OK. Current draw readings for the OP's Duo should be similar so should last longer than 1:10. It could be the battery is not fully charged for some reason but more likely there's just something wrong with the battery IMO.
    Mole
    Which battery are you referring to? (there are a few in the thread).

    I need new batteries too (my 2013 are going legs up, and last about 30' with my duo 1500), but I am tempted to buy new Gemini. I backpack and they can come handy to keep electronics running. Does anybody know if they come with USB cables and if they need a USB adaptor/charger? (Gemini has one on the web site.)

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Which battery are you referring to? (there are a few in the thread).

    I need new batteries too (my 2013 are going legs up, and last about 30' with my duo 1500), but I am tempted to buy new Gemini. I backpack and they can come handy to keep electronics running. Does anybody know if they come with USB cables and if they need a USB adaptor/charger? (Gemini has one on the web site.)
    The 2 Panasonic cell 3400 mAh one (Hunk Lee). I guess I'm not sure when Gemini switched to the 1500 lumen model (I thought it was 2016). Current draw readings I've seen posted for the 1500 were 2.5A so runtimes would be shorter than my model (more like 1:20 @ 100%). The newest Gemini battery uses 21700 cells so capacity is higher (4000mAh/2 cell, 8000mAh/4cell) which will increase runtime and definitely a better fit for the 1500 and newer Duo's. I.m not familiar with USB-C but the Action-LED-Lights site (linked below) makes it sound like it comes with one cable and others are available for different applications.
    Mole

    https://www.action-led-lights.com/pr...i-usb-c-cables

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    The 2 Panasonic cell 3400 mAh one (Hunk Lee). I guess I'm not sure when Gemini switched to the 1500 lumen model (I thought it was 2016). Current draw readings I've seen posted for the 1500 were 2.5A so runtimes would be shorter than my model (more like 1:20 @ 100%). The newest Gemini battery uses 21700 cells so capacity is higher (4000mAh/2 cell, 8000mAh/4cell) which will increase runtime and definitely a better fit for the 1500 and newer Duo's. I.m not familiar with USB-C but the Action-LED-Lights site (linked below) makes it sound like it comes with one cable and others are available for different applications.
    Mole

    https://www.action-led-lights.com/pr...i-usb-c-cables
    Thanks for the info, I ordered two Gemini batteries. My order from Dec 2013 says 1x "Gemini DUO 1500 lumen LED light System" so it looks like it is a 1500 (or at least nominally so). Nice lights, tonight I was going around with the 50% setting (because the batteries are not holding much charge) and it was pretty good even in the deep of the forest.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MRMOLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Thanks for the info, I ordered two Gemini batteries. My order from Dec 2013 says 1x "Gemini DUO 1500 lumen LED light System" so it looks like it is a 1500 (or at least nominally so). Nice lights, tonight I was going around with the 50% setting (because the batteries are not holding much charge) and it was pretty good even in the deep of the forest.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Davide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,093
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    Got them yesterday, no USB cables but of course they do charge with the standard charger.A bit larger and heavier than the old Gemini 2013 (to the right in the photo, 190 vs 136 grams). More capacity is actually a good thing because with the old ones I was often a bit too close to empty at the end of a longish night run, and having the peace of mind is nice. The USB port will come handy backpacking.

    The Helmet light battery used to be on my night helmet, but now the added grams convinced me to carry it on my Camel Back. It actually works great, just drop the battery in the top pocket of the Camel Back with a longish extension cable and off you go

    replacement battery for gemini duo 1500-img_1436.jpg
    Last edited by Davide; 11-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RS VR6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,402
    Quote Originally Posted by xcandrew View Post
    I recently got a two-cell battery pack from fasttech. They have a 4-cell pack as well, probably linked from the two-cell listing. I don't know if it's the same battery pack that someone reviewed in this forum about a year ago as decent for the money, but the plastic shell looks the same. Inexpensive, but fasttech took their sweet time mailing it. (The quoted capacity is obviously nonsense... I just ignored that part.)

    https://www.fasttech.com/p/9638360
    I got the same battery from Aliexpress...but it was labeled as "Vastfire". After a two hour ride...the indicator light on my lamp was still green. It's half the size of the battery it replaced. Only thing is the connector isn't as snug as the original battery.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I got the same battery from Aliexpress...but it was labeled as "Vastfire". After a two hour ride...the indicator light on my lamp was still green. It's half the size of the battery it replaced. Only thing is the connector isn't as snug as the original battery.
    I dug up the review of the RockBros battery pack, which I kind of referenced as looking the same as the "fasttech" battery that I linked. Same hard case, both sold at one point on fasttech.

    https://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night...w-1079861.html

    I've been using it nightly for several weeks for 1 to 1.5 hour runs in the cold (both above and below freezing), mostly on low/limited med and high on a Yinding. That's not testing the run time limits at all for a 2-cell pack, but it's enough use to say it's well worth the $11.54 shipped.

    I like the hard case of the "fasttech" battery better than the Gemini one for sure - have had the end caps of the Gemini battery crack on all three of my 2-cells from them (though the cracks didn't affect function, just wrapped tape around them).

Similar Threads

  1. Gemini Duo replacement.
    By masterp2 in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-21-2017, 06:23 PM
  2. Gemini battery replacement?
    By Casual Observer in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-28-2015, 01:32 PM
  3. Wanted seven duo, seven duo-lux titanium
    By seabert in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-18-2014, 03:57 AM
  4. New Gemini light? the Duo?
    By slyfink in forum Lights and Night Riding
    Replies: 254
    Last Post: 12-04-2013, 09:27 PM
  5. New 29ers, Seven Duo and Duo-Lux
    By bhutata in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 09-21-2006, 04:13 PM

Members who have read this thread: 23

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.