repairing a Light & Motion Vis 360- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

repairing a Light & Motion Vis 360

Has anyone repaired the micro USB connector on their Light & Motion Vis 360?

My micro USB connector has become sensitive and often loses a connection while charging. I can improve the connection by putting a fair amount of side pressure on the cable.

Light & Motion will fix the connector for $40. Unfortunately, the round trip to get serviced will take two weeks or more. To sidestep being with a light, I thought I'd replace the connector myself. Alternatively, I'd have to buy a new bike light to use during the other is getting repaired.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a dead, torn apart Urban 400 here and the micro USB is a surface mount item. 4 tiny, tiny solder pads for the electrical connection and 2 tabs for mechanical connection. I'd imagine the VIZ360 would use the same or a similar part. Probably has a broken tab and broken solder joints. If you have super good soldering skills and a soldering iron with a needle sharp tip you might be able to repair it. Without those, it would be surprising if you could get it done.
    GoPro adapters for bike lights http://www.pacifier.com/~kevinb/index.html

mtbr member
    My light works again! Vancbiker, you were right. Removing the old micro USB connector and replacing it with a new one was NOT a simple operation. I have lots of experience soldering circuit boards, but this was my first experience with surface mount components. I'm glad the guy in our electronic shop, who has SMD experience, did the soldering. All in all, I'm happy to have had the experience. I would try it myself if it happens again.