red filters on lights?- Mtbr.com
    ~ B A D A S S ~

red filters on lights?

First I would like to know if anyone tried this and what they think about it? How much output do you lose through a filter?
    Lets say you start out with 1000lm.

Where to get red filters?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    The only reason to use redlight at night is to prevent night blindness (shocking the eyes ability to work under low/no light conditions)

Can't comment on mountain bikes, but in a prior life, I had to deal with redlight lens in the military. The perceived light output goes down quite a bit, about 60-40% depending on how dark the red lens is, and it makes shadows look strange. I wouldn't do it unless you planned on moonlit/no light rides done in combination with redlight, or if you didn't want to blind other users that are riding without lights.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

~ B A D A S S ~
    this would be to convert a regular front light to a rear light.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Rear lights are cheap, just buy a rear light. If you really want the super bright 1000 lumen light for your rear light, any red lense will work once cut/filed/formed. Because we don't know what type of light you have, can't recommend one. If you have a Chinese cree knockoff light, this would probably work with a little filing.

Amazon.com : Red Wide Angle Lens for Magicshine MJ-808 or similar bike light : Bike Taillights : Sports & Outdoors

Or cut this one to fit. Since it's plastic, there is a possibility it could melt, but I've put diffuser contact paper on my cree light's lense and it hasn't melted.
    http://www.amazon.com/106-Primary-Re.../dp/B004GE19E2
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    I've tried the Action-LED-Lights red lens in a Gemini Titan (old P7 version) a while back. It worked very well and had a lot of positive comments from car drivers. Used a helmet mount attached to the seat-rails. I've still got the setup and will run some light meter tests when it gets dark to give you an accurate idea of the lux losses using this red lens compared to a clear one. It's 11 am. here at the moment so approx. 8 hrs. till I can do the tests.
    Mole

Rent this space for $
    Red Sharpie

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOLE View Post
    I've tried the Action-LED-Lights red lens in a Gemini Titan (old P7 version) a while back. It worked very well and had a lot of positive comments from car drivers. Used a helmet mount attached to the seat-rails. I've still got the setup and will run some light meter tests when it gets dark to give you an accurate idea of the lux losses using this red lens compared to a clear one. It's 11 am. here at the moment so approx. 8 hrs. till I can do the tests.
    Mole
    I have a gemini olympia but for this project I would probably get a xera 2016 or a gloworm x1. that is if the light output is not too dimished. If I only get like 10% of the original output i can just as well get a dedicated rear light with real red leds instead imo.

Specialized sucks ass.

Action LED Lights
    If you want to try one of our red wide angle lenses please buy them from our website and not Amazon.
    Wide Angle Lens - RED – Action-LED-Lights
    A lot of people use these on Magicshine 808's or any of the many clones of it. Heat has never been a problem.
    You could certainly sand it down to fit a Xera or X1 but a simpler option might be tail light repair tape that's sold at auto parts stores to patch holes in tail light lenses. They sell red and amber.
    As far as lumen loss goes, your starting with white light which contains all colors and filtering out everything except red so there would be considerable loss. However an 808 with our lens makes a very bright tail light.
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

mtbr member
    Gemini Titan light-meter/bounce test results:

Clear lens - 59 lux

Red wide angle lens - 9 lux

Xeccon Gena (red LED) - 16 lux

Quite a drop as Jim said. Included the Gena as an example of a dedicated red LED taillight. I would have also tested the Surfas TL60 that I use all the time but red lens design wouldn't allow accurate results (tall lens with lots of side visibility). I also want to add that the TL60 may be a bit less light than the other two but still will get complaints from other riders if your riding in a group at its highest setting.
    Mole

mtbr member
    I wasn't satisfied that the bounce test was the correct way to measure tail lights and a bit surprised/disappointed in the low results of the action lens Titan. Picture is more what I expected. Left to Right: Gena, Titan, TL60.

red filters on lights?-004.jpg

Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Gemini Titan with a red filter? Are you talking about this light?
    TITAN Light Set | Gemini Lights

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by varider View Post
    Gemini Titan with a red filter? Are you talking about this light?
    TITAN Light Set | Gemini Lights
    It's the old 808 style Titan (P7). With the width of the new one I think mounting it as a tail light would be difficult if you didn't want to burn the back of you legs.
    Mole
    Last edited by MRMOLE; 02-19-2016 at 04:26 AM.

Action LED Lights
    Gemini Titan light-meter/bounce test results:

Clear lens - 59 lux

Red wide angle lens - 9 lux

Xeccon Gena (red LED) - 16 lux

Quite a drop as Jim said. Included the Gena as an example of a dedicated red LED taillight. I would have also tested the Surfas TL60 that I use all the time but red lens design wouldn't allow accurate results (tall lens with lots of side visibility). I also want to add that the TL60 may be a bit less light than the other two but still will get complaints from other riders if your riding in a group at its highest setting.
    Mole
    Was this with a clear wide angle lens vs a red wide angle lens? That would make quite a difference vs a plain clear lens.
    I've mounted one by strapping a helmet mount to the seat rails or the rear of the frame.

red filters on lights?-tail-light-seat2.jpgred filters on lights?-tail-light.jpg
    Jim Harger
    Action LED Lights
    www.action-led-lights.com

~ B A D A S S ~
    I wasn't satisfied that the bounce test was the correct way to measure tail lights and a bit surprised/disappointed in the low results of the action lens Titan. Picture is more what I expected. Left to Right: Gena, Titan, TL60.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	153.6 KB 
ID:	1051071

Mole
    It appears like the modded titan is about 3x as intense/visible to me.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    It appears like the modded titan is about 3x as intense/visible to me.
    Here's a couple more things worth noting. As the Titan was at a disadvantage because of its wide beam (as Jim noted) on the bounce test, the Gena's mounting system put it at a disadvantage in the photo. The Gena simply strapped around the seatpost which angles the narrow beam down (notice light on ground below Gena) marginalizing its appeared output. You could probably use some sort of wedge setup to better aim the light but IMO it would never come close to matching the noticeability of the Titan. Far larger lens size and beam widening effect of the elliptical style lens help the Titan considerably in standing out from the other two lights. Actual output on this vintage Titian is probably slightly less than 500 lumens (with clear lens) in case your not familiar with it.
    Mole

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    It's the old 808 style Titan (P7). With the width of the new one I think mounting it as a tail light would be difficult if you didn't want to burn the back of you legs.
    Mole
    Ah, OK. It looks like that light is the brightest in the photo. I'm impressed. Wouldn't a wide beam be advantage on a rear light because it would give maximum visibility from behind?

mtbr member
    A red filter will greatly reduce the lumen output of a white light. White light has all colors and these all contribute to the lumen rating. A red filter blocks all colors except red so you lose those lumens. Red LEDs emit only red, so all the battery power is going only into red and all the lumens are in the red light.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    A red filter will greatly reduce the lumen output of a white light. White light has all colors and these all contribute to the lumen rating. A red filter blocks all colors except red so you lose those lumens. Red LEDs emit only red, so all the battery power is going only into red and all the lumens are in the red light.
    I fully understand this and after reviewing a few spectrographs of typical white leds it appears only abouy 20% or less output is in the red spectrum. So at lost I would be getting 20% output of whatever input i had.

For this project I was considering a single emitter gloworm or gemini. then a red filter and then a ping pong ball that the red light goes into.

But it tuurns out the that with the current geminis there would be problems mounting stuff infront of the lens, the gloworm is better since its cylidrical in construction. The geminis can be configured to flash at 100%. But the gloworm does not flash at 100% only 70/30. Also this would probably consume several hours of time to actually build.

I have decieded not go go through with the project and simply buy a self contained rear light.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I fully understand this and after reviewing a few spectrographs of typical white leds it appears only abouy 20% or less output is in the red spectrum. So at lost I would be getting 20% output of whatever input i had.
    Retro fitting with a red cree XPE and never running the light above 500mA will be brighter than filtering an XML light, and you'll get over 4x the runtime.

~ B A D A S S ~
    exactly! its the run time that sealed it for me. the quad dinotte manages 4h on high (200lm) and its not even a full 18650 in there.

Specialized sucks ass.