Red filtering- Mtbr.com

Thread: Red filtering

Rolling

Red filtering

Anyone ride with red filters on their lights?

I am toying with the idea, especially for endurance riding during heavy moon. Light on only during times when moon is in shadow.

mtbr member
    Lidarman, forgive me but I'm going to ask why?
    If your eyes have got used to the bluey white of the moon then won't they have to re-adjust to the different colour when you turn your light on.

Cool white LED's are very close in colour to moon light and your eyes will not have to adjust when you switch between the two light sources.

Or am I missing the point?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Google "rhodopsin", "dark adaptation", and / or "visual purple".

White light bleaches out visual purple which leads to diminished night vision. Red filters prevent bleaching of visual purple thus night vision is retained. Pilots use red flashlights when flying at night to make it easier to read nav. charts in low-light conditions as well as keeping visual acuity (sp?) for scanning for other aircraft......

mtbr member
    Sorry, just me having a thick moment, that's why tail lights have to be red so as to preserve the night vision of the person following behind.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by yetibetty
    Sorry, just me having a thick moment, that's why tail lights have to be red so as to preserve the night vision of the person following behind.

You can't have night vision while driving because the headlights of other cars eliminate it. Tail lights are simple red for indication that it's going away from you. Red is the traditional color for stop.

The traditional example of the effectiveness of night vision is when you wake up at camp to go to the bathroom and you can see so well. If you turn a flashlight on for a moment, then turn it off, you will notice the world is really dark. It takes 5 minutes for the eyes receptors to calm down to get night vision back.

If you have ridden at a full moon night without a light, you might have noticed you can see really well, and if you turn your bike light on, you instantly get tunnel vision.

You do have a good point though in regards to a really bright moon. If there is too much moonlight, it will eliminate the ability to achieve a night vision state.

Members who have read this thread: 0